4A Div. 1 Region 2 Final: Paris vs. Argyle

theblueguy

It’s been a spell for me— I only remember how he was behind closed doors during my 4 years of starting for him. Last time I tuned back in was a half a decade ago during a playoff pre-game to hear him talking about the opposing teams quarterback saying “he is okay but he won’t have any d1 scouts knocking on his door.” Baffled me lol Argyle was retired that night. 

Im glad he was gracious with the Carthage fans. Argyle is an amazing community and deserves to be represented that way. Very proud to hear that. 

1 minute ago, Crapola said:

It’s been a spell for me— I only remember how he was behind closed doors during my 4 years of starting for him. Last time I tuned back in was a half a decade ago during a playoff pre-game to hear him talking about the opposing teams quarterback saying “he is okay but he won’t have any d1 scouts knocking on his door.” Baffled me lol Argyle was retired that night. 

Im glad he was gracious with the Carthage fans. Argyle is an amazing community and deserves to be represented that way. Very proud to hear that. 

👍

9 minutes ago, Crapola said:

Congrats on a great season, Paris! 
Congrats to my Argyle Eagles! 
Got Canyon next week? 
Should be a great game.  

I think it will end up close to this score. Don’t see canyon competing. Maybe if they had that really good 5a team from a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, Parisian said:

Don't see anyone left getting within 2 scores of Argyle, even if Bryce isn't able to go.

Don't know about that.......Austin LBJ looks very athletic, talented, and formidable to me.  They have those two stellar Division 1 D-back commits that can roam all over the field.  Also have a good front on D and some big boys on the O-line.  Got some speed at the skill positions too.......dangerous speed and moves in the open field.  Lindale would do Argyle a favor if they were to beat LBJ......c'mon Lindale!!   LOL.  But if you got eyes......you saw the same thing I saw.    Good job this year Paris.......a good team with some very good athletes.  No reason for anyone in Paris to be disappointed.  It's tough to win Region 2 D-1........a very tough region every year.  Hohenberger showed his skills and running ability tonight......that guy is a true QB.  He didn't mishandle that snap......the pulling guard got there too quick and knocked it out of his hands. I think Paris would be better served in the pistol......they have all the ingredients to make it work.   Hohenberger and lots of his boyz will be back next season.......they ain't gonna disappear if we have a football season in 2021......Paris will be ranked highly again.

As far as it went for Argyle tonight.......I liked their slow-burn intensity and the fact that CJ wasn't throwing it much.  I think Coach Rodgers and his staff are working the team toward that running attack to make the passing attack work better against good defenses.  Argyle most probably could have opened up the passing attack and threw more tonight, but chose to keep it on the ground.  It may have caused some injuries to some key personnel on the offense......I dunno the status of that yet.  Argyle is very deep at all positions, but you would prefer to have your seasoned starters out there at this stage of the game. CJ did throw a few strikes tonight that were dropped and missed one wide open shot at a TD.....but overall his game and numbers were good for the amount of attempts made.  Some of those incompletions tonight were not his fault and are normally caught.  I would like to see Argyle throw the ball more against Canyon next week.......the receivers need to get back into the groove.  Several games now Argyle's offense has been run-heavy......they had over 300 yds rushing tonight.  I think a little more in the passing game next week will allow for a more dynamic and effective offense overall.......both thru the air and on the ground.  It's not like CJ doesn't have the time if they call more passing plays......more attempts will mean more completions and most probably more open lanes for the RB's.

Again the Argyle defense played under control.......very effective.  They don't wow you at first, but as the game progresses it starts to take a toll on the opponent. Sooner or later they seem to capitalize on a turnover or just good field position for the offense due to the constant pressure and three and outs.  I would call the Argyle defense very opportunistic......they create those opportunities.  I think they are plus 39 in turnovers for the season now.......that's a crazy number.

I was curious......so I looked it up.  Argyle as a team has 16 interceptions on the season so far, but gave up 5......so that's a plus 11.  On fumbles.......Argyle has caused 30 and recovered 31 while fumbling only twice all season, losing both.  That's a plus 29.  Argyle has blocked 7 punts and 2 field goals this season......don't think those are considered turnovers......but sure does give the team a shot in the arm.  So I stand corrected.......Argyle is plus 40 now for the season in turnovers......according to the stats keeper. He's pretty proficient......he don't miss a thing. Probably goes back and watches all the game film to check everything, Huh? 

It's Sunday evening now and I'm back watching "Friday Night Lights" again.......can't get enough of this movie.  It's truly one of the all-time best sports movies........and there's a lot of them.  I just like sports movies period, but this one is great to watch this time of the season, for sure.  It was filmed in 2004 about the 1988 Permian team.  As a former footballer and parent, I made that trek to the SC game for my son's team in Argyle's first appearance in 2005 to Tyler Rose Stadium......so it hits home to me moreso than your average veiwer.  I've been at the SC title game in all 5 of Argyle's appearances........it's really one of the true loves in my life.  I have some others, too.......but this is one of them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

It's Sunday evening now and I'm back watching "Friday Night Lights" again.......can't get enough of this movie.  It's truly one of the all-time best sports movies........and there's a lot of them.  I just like sports movies period, but this one is great to watch this time of the season, for sure.  It was filmed in 2004 about the 1988 Permian team.  As a former footballer and parent, I made that trek to the SC game for my son's team in Argyle's first appearance in 2005 to Tyler Rose Stadium......so it hits home to me moreso than your average veiwer.  I've been at the SC title game in all 5 of Argyle's appearances........it's really one of the true loves in my life.  I have some others, too.......but this is one of them.

Just a little footnote regal......Paris won the 4a state title that year. 

4 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I’ve been to Eight, starting 1991 (Astrodome Carthage lost a heartbreaker to A&M Consolidated) & Seven others in the Surratt Dynasty, & I have every intention of watching him Hoist number Eight @ AT&T 2 Friday’s from now!😋👌🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆