Pleasant Grove football

Texlov

Pleasant Grove probably won't be ranked top 10 at the end of the season, but at the beginning I think Carthage was the only team better. First defensive end/tight end Marcus Burris goes down and doesn't play a game. The had four running backs banged up after first game of the season. They had several players sick or injured when they played Carthage, and it only got worse as the season progressed. They lost Landon Jackson, one of the most recruited players in the nation who is bound for LSU. Friday they were beat a very good Caddo Mills team. PG led 24-14 at the half. PG back Logan Johnson was having a career game with 126 yards on 12 carries and two touchdowns in the half when he got hurt and didn't play the second half. It was just one of those years. I'm not sure a healthy Pleasant Grove team could have beaten Carthage, unless Carthage lost five or six of its best players to injuries like PG did. You just never know at the beginning what's going to be going on at the end. Despite everything we had high school football this fall and it was great.

• Like 2

Good post, we never know what football or our lives’ futures hold.

PG has absolutely nothing to be ashamed about or hang their heads about. There are thousands of schools in Texas who’d love to have the success Pleasant Grove has had the past five seasons that will never reach those heights. 

PG has a great HC and staff and I would bet they are contenders for a long time to come.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

Those injuries  are on yalls coach he rides yalls good players to much cant expect them to stay healthy  in a long season playing that type of offense and then having to do it on d too 

I think PG’s Coach seems to know what he is dojng.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Texlov said:

Pleasant Grove probably won't be ranked top 10 at the end of the season, but at the beginning I think Carthage was the only team better. First defensive end/tight end Marcus Burris goes down and doesn't play a game. The had four running backs banged up after first game of the season. They had several players sick or injured when they played Carthage, and it only got worse as the season progressed. They lost Landon Jackson, one of the most recruited players in the nation who is bound for LSU. Friday they were beat a very good Caddo Mills team. PG led 24-14 at the half. PG back Logan Johnson was having a career game with 126 yards on 12 carries and two touchdowns in the half when he got hurt and didn't play the second half. It was just one of those years. I'm not sure a healthy Pleasant Grove team could have beaten Carthage, unless Carthage lost five or six of its best players to injuries like PG did. You just never know at the beginning what's going to be going on at the end. Despite everything we had high school football this fall and it was great.

You mentioned 2 players and then one player for the 2nd half.   So, who were the other 3 best players for P G that wasn’t playing in the Caddo Mills game, since y’all didn’t have 5 or 6?

3 hours ago, Texlov said:

I only remember one player that did not play against Carthage. 
I did not think PG would make it to Jerry World after they lost Landon Jackson. As long as Jackson and Nick Martin were on the field they were headed to the championship game. 
just my opinion. 

PG has nothing to hang their heads about.  They had a good season. I really thought Gibson might leave last year. Especially with the money Tyler Lee offered. With him not taking it, I think he's there until his son graduates.  He also will have a stud qb next year in the freshman transfer from LE. It may take a year or 2. But that current freshman class will make a lot of noise. 

PG has a good football squad.  But if you hang your hat on one player to make it all the way, I just don't think you make it all the way.  PG was trying to outcoach Caddo Mills and it was a great battle between the two head coaches. In my opinion, and I agree that my opinion and a couple of bucks will not buy you a cup of coffee, but in my opinion the team that goes to the Big Show, is the well rounded team from top to bottom.  Not one great player, but several good players, like at least 8 or 9 on both sides of the ball. If one very good player goes down, then the rest take up that slack. PG was gassed at the end of the game against Caddo Mills.  If the Caddo Mills QB does not get past that one player, the game is over.  He then dodged and darted past three other PG players to score. It was a very athletic run by Townley, the QB, but he was able to spread the defense that was anticipating the pass.  And PG does not need to hang their head, they played a very good football team and believe me, PG will be back next year and they will return a great team. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, micotrav said:

PG has a good football squad.  But if you hang your hat on one player to make it all the way, I just don't think you make it all the way.  PG was trying to outcoach Caddo Mills and it was a great battle between the two head coaches. In my opinion, and I agree that my opinion and a couple of bucks will not buy you a cup of coffee, but in my opinion the team that goes to the Big Show, is the well rounded team from top to bottom.  Not one great player, but several good players, like at least 8 or 9 on both sides of the ball. If one very good player goes down, then the rest take up that slack. PG was gassed at the end of the game against Caddo Mills.  If the Caddo Mills QB does not get past that one player, the game is over.  He then dodged and darted past three other PG players to score. It was a very athletic run by Townley, the QB, but he was able to spread the defense that was anticipating the pass.  And PG does not need to hang their head, they played a very good football team and believe me, PG will be back next year and they will return a great team. 

Micro, They had 2 Division 1 Defense ends that didn't play in this game. If they play Townley doesn't have much room to scramble. Not sure if Caddo had any D1 lineman that could of slowed those 2 beasts down. 

5 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Micro, They had 2 Division 1 Defense ends that didn't play in this game. If they play Townley doesn't have much room to scramble. Not sure if Caddo had any D1 lineman that could of slowed those 2 beasts down. 

If IF’s and BUT’S were candy and nuts we would all have a good Christmas!

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 3:50 PM, Texlov said:

49 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

Yea Gilmer had their starting 2 inside LBers that started the season, a starting lineman at the start of the season and their top 2 running backs not playing vs Sunnyvale.  Injuries are part of the game.

15 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

If IF’s and BUT’S were candy and nuts we would all have a good Christmas!

When I was a kid, I always got something to wear and something to play with. 

One year, I got a new pair of blue jeans and my dad cut a hole in the pocket. Something to wear and something to play with

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

I feel like injuries is a comfort excuse that we as fans like to make. I'm sure the PG team and coaches wouldn't say that their success all depended on having those particular players.  

The coaches and players might not admit it, but the evidence is obvious. They didn't win without those players. So, technically their success was based on those players participation. It is a logical assessment.

1 hour ago, wingtveer said:

They’ve won a pair of 4A state championships running this stuff

Yes, and the schedule those years was not as brutal or as taxing as it was this year. They were healthy and their best players were still on the field for the playoff runs and eventual state championship. It is one thing to be tested, but to be completely beat up is not a good thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

The coaches and players might not admit it, but the evidence is obvious. They didn't win without those players. So, technically their success was based on those players participation. It is a logical assessment.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that PG wasn't going to win state this year even if they were all healthy and present.  They were not as good this year as they have been in their previous championship years.  I've been saying that since the first game I saw them play this year (5 games in total).  In each of those games they had varying numbers of their most touted players on the field.  As a team they were not as good this year and it showed.  

• Like 1