Pleasant Grove football

Texlov

14 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that PG wasn't going to win state this year even if they were all healthy and present.  They were not as good this year as they have been in their previous championship years.  I've been saying that since the first game I saw them play this year (5 games in total).  In each of those games they had varying numbers of their most touted players on the field.  As a team they were not as good this year and it showed.  

That is true, but they would have probably advanced past Caddo Mills or even won their district with two SEC commited defensive linemen playing.

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That is true, but they would have probably advanced past Caddo Mills or even won their district with two SEC commited defensive linemen playing.

I respectfully disagree.  But I understand why many people would believe that may have made enough difference in those games. 

On 11/28/2020 at 3:50 PM, Texlov said:

Pleasant Grove probably won't be ranked top 10 at the end of the season, but at the beginning I think Carthage was the only team better. First defensive end/tight end Marcus Burris goes down and doesn't play a game. The had four running backs banged up after first game of the season. They had several players sick or injured when they played Carthage, and it only got worse as the season progressed. They lost Landon Jackson, one of the most recruited players in the nation who is bound for LSU. Friday they were beat a very good Caddo Mills team. PG led 24-14 at the half. PG back Logan Johnson was having a career game with 126 yards on 12 carries and two touchdowns in the half when he got hurt and didn't play the second half. It was just one of those years. I'm not sure a healthy Pleasant Grove team could have beaten Carthage, unless Carthage lost five or six of its best players to injuries like PG did. You just never know at the beginning what's going to be going on at the end. Despite everything we had high school football this fall and it was great.

They will definitely be ranked in the Top 10! probably 5th or 6. The only losses are to the two likely State Champions in Argyle and Carthage and in the last seconds to two top 5 teams Gilmer and Caddo Mills. Considering all the adversity they faced this season Id say that is a heck of a record and yes they are still a very good football team

On 11/28/2020 at 4:17 PM, bansheefan03 said:

Those injuries  are on yalls coach he rides yalls good players to much cant expect them to stay healthy  in a long season playing that type of offense and then having to do it on d too 

This post is not accurate. Landon Jacksons injury was a freak injury at practice catching footballs before Practice and Marcus Burris injury was at conditioning running last summer. Neither were injured in games. Just freak injuries part of it

Congrats to the Hawks and thanks for the trips that your young men and coaches have taken the greater Texarkana community on over the past four years.  I did not matter if you were a Texarkana supporter of Arkansas High, Texas High, or Liberty Eylau.  Everyone supported the Hawks each year through out the season and playoffs.  I wish God's grace and blessings to each and every one of you whether you are going on to play ball at the next level or if this was your last time putting on the pads.

Everybody always wants to point that finger and say I told you so after the big guy falls...

The injuries are a part of the game.  Playing both ways is a part of the game, especially at this level.  You can't sit here and tell me they weren't going to struggle a little, losing the QB they lost.  And then losing the defensive players in the midst of that made it that much more difficult. 

But don't sit here and give us that cry baby poop where it's on the coach because he "practices his kids too hard"

They didn't get to where they are in the last few years because he practiced them too hard that's for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexasFootballGuru said:

They were very good. IN the end I believe the QB position was the biggest deficiency and it showed up in Big Games

QB play will always be a determining factor in a teams success or lack therof.

1 hour ago, TexasFootballGuru said:

This post is not accurate. Landon Jacksons injury was a freak injury at practice catching footballs before Practice and Marcus Burris injury was at conditioning running last summer. Neither were injured in games. Just freak injuries part of it

Wear and tear on the body usually is the cause of "freak" injuries. Nobody knows how much of an impact practice has on a young persons body and it definitely differs based on the individual and their physical make up. However, just because the injuries did not occur in a game, does not mean that they weren't caused by over taxing the kids body in practice.

20 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

QB play will always be a determining factor in a teams success or lack therof.

Wear and tear on the body usually is the cause of "freak" injuries. Nobody knows how much of an impact practice has on a young persons body and it definitely differs based on the individual and their physical make up. However, just because the injuries did not occur in a game, does not mean that they weren't caused by over taxing the kids body in practice.

Some might argue PG didn’t condition enough or they would not have run out of steam in the 4th.  It can’t be both ways.

Lots of out of work coaches on this thread!  They wouldn't be where they are today without the coach they have at the helm.  You play how you have to play to win.  If that means playing kids both ways, then thats what you do.  There are some pretty good kids playing both ways at some bigger schools too.  Pretty sure Denton Ryan has a couple that are D1 commits.  Carthage has played kids on both sides of the ball.  Injuries happen in football.  It's a violent game.  The human body is funny.  There are many reasons that injuries happen.  How many of the top athletes in the world miss time due to injury.  From football players to track stars to golfers, injuries happen and not just to the overworked or out of shape.  Speculating about kids injuries is kinda irresponsible.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Lots of out of work coaches on this thread!  They wouldn't be where they are today without the coach they have at the helm.  You play how you have to play to win.  If that means playing kids both ways, then thats what you do.  There are some pretty good kids playing both ways at some bigger schools too.  Pretty sure Denton Ryan has a couple that are D1 commits.  Carthage has played kids on both sides of the ball.  Injuries happen in football.  It's a violent game.  The human body is funny.  There are many reasons that injuries happen.  How many of the top athletes in the world miss time due to injury.  From football players to track stars to golfers, injuries happen and not just to the overworked or out of shape.  Speculating about kids injuries is kinda irresponsible.

You are completely correct Sir.

Not sure about PG, but Caddo Mills has been playing most of their players both ways all year.  That includes Townley, the Caddo Mills QB, who played both ways in the game against PG. Royse City is 5A and on the verge of going 6A in the new realignment.  Royse City plays their most talented players both ways.  In high school football, unless you are the very elite like Allen, the game is demanding that you play your best 11, especially during the playoffs. 

Pleasant Grove has carried the banner for Texarkana for the last 3 years. Got nothing but respect for their coaches & players. This was still a very good year and without the injuries it probably would have gone on another week or two.  

I don't believe they were near as good as they were the last 2 years..........but they were pretty dang good.   Congrats on a great year

• Like 2

When you fall a little sometimes it snowballs. Shiny luster falls off the program.  Kids quit moving in. Things go south for no explained reason. Hard to get out of just a little better than mediocrity.  Its seems to happen to most......except Carthage. They just keep ringing the bell.

2 hours ago, jubilant said:

When you fall a little sometimes it snowballs. Shiny luster falls off the program.  Kids quit moving in. Things go south for no explained reason. Hard to get out of just a little better than mediocrity.  Its seems to happen to most......except Carthage. They just keep ringing the bell.

I don’t think PG will have a problem getting kids.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 12:15 PM, micotrav said:

PG has a good football squad.  But if you hang your hat on one player to make it all the way, I just don't think you make it all the way.  PG was trying to outcoach Caddo Mills and it was a great battle between the two head coaches. In my opinion, and I agree that my opinion and a couple of bucks will not buy you a cup of coffee, but in my opinion the team that goes to the Big Show, is the well rounded team from top to bottom.  Not one great player, but several good players, like at least 8 or 9 on both sides of the ball. If one very good player goes down, then the rest take up that slack. PG was gassed at the end of the game against Caddo Mills.  If the Caddo Mills QB does not get past that one player, the game is over.  He then dodged and darted past three other PG players to score. It was a very athletic run by Townley, the QB, but he was able to spread the defense that was anticipating the pass.  And PG does not need to hang their head, they played a very good football team and believe me, PG will be back next year and they will return a great team. 

micotrav, PG started the season with 6 or 7 D1 recruits, and finished with 1. Caddo Mills isn't close to be the team PG was August. That's all I was trying to say. I've congratulated Caddo Mills and I wish them luck, because they will need it down the road.

13 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Yes, and the schedule those years was not as brutal or as taxing as it was this year. They were healthy and their best players were still on the field for the playoff runs and eventual state championship. It is one thing to be tested, but to be completely beat up is not a good thing.

Totally disagree about schedule. In 2017 PG's last 8-10 games were against very good teams.

15 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I feel like injuries is a comfort excuse that we as fans like to make. I'm sure the PG team and coaches wouldn't say that their success all depended on having those particular players.  

No he wouldn't say it publically, he knows it to be true.

7 hours ago, Texlov said:

micotrav, PG started the season with 6 or 7 D1 recruits, and finished with 1. Caddo Mills isn't close to be the team PG was August. That's all I was trying to say. I've congratulated Caddo Mills and I wish them luck, because they will need it down the road.

Lol so who were the other 3-4 d1 guys who didn't finish we all know the big two but who else