Head coaching changes

Yoman

On 12/27/2020 at 2:58 PM, 2time said:

I would like to see Redwater either Promote their DC, who would bring life back into that athletic program and bring much needed stability, or bring back the basketball coach from a few years ago that turned that program around in 2 years. From what I have heard both great men of character and rich in football knowledge. The basketball coach who left is a young guy and graduated from PG. Pretty sure he won 2 Baseball State Championships there. Could be what they need to get things at least competitive there. 

I’ve heard good things about the DC. Is Graff being pushed out or voluntarily stepping away?

21 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I’ve heard good things about the DC. Is Graff being pushed out or voluntarily stepping away?

Coach Turner is a outstanding man and coach. Would be a great hire. I think it’s a mutual agreement for Graf. Think he and admin both know it’s time for a change. 

4 hours ago, 2time said:

Coach Turner is a outstanding man and coach. Would be a great hire. I think it’s a mutual agreement for Graf. Think he and admin both know it’s time for a change. 

I think you are correct about Graf and also that Coach Turner is a great guy and very good coach but I'm not sure that's who the Dragons need at this point. Whoever they hire needs to be a high energy, gung ho type that will get back to a serious off season program and strong emphasis on the weight room. Wasn't that long ago that the Dragons had one of the best weight and strength programs in the area and it showed on the field. Coach Stine definitely had the program going in the right direction and it could be again with the right guy. I believe that Coach Stine's worse record was 5-5 and the year he left the Dragons were 8-4. It also needs to be someone that will take time and develop the program all the way down to through the jr high level...there are some pretty good athletes in the 8th grade group and a few in the 7th grade class...not state champions...but competitive.

3 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

I think you are correct about Graf and also that Coach Turner is a great guy and very good coach but I'm not sure that's who the Dragons need at this point. Whoever they hire needs to be a high energy, gung ho type that will get back to a serious off season program and strong emphasis on the weight room. Wasn't that long ago that the Dragons had one of the best weight and strength programs in the area and it showed on the field. Coach Stine definitely had the program going in the right direction and it could be again with the right guy. I believe that Coach Stine's worse record was 5-5 and the year he left the Dragons were 8-4. It also needs to be someone that will take time and develop the program all the way down to through the jr high level...there are some pretty good athletes in the 8th grade group and a few in the 7th grade class...not state champions...but competitive.

I completely agree with you. I know that Coach Turner was in charge of that weight room during Coach Stine’s tenure. They won a State and National Championship in Powerlifting during that time. Stine was hard nosed and pushed those players. They were practiced hard and they played hard. Very tough teams. That’s what has lacked since Graf has been at the helm. Great guy but not one that was hard nosed for he players. The culture changed. Losing became ok. Turner could definitely be that man but that’s also why I mentioned the basketball coach, Coach Hart, from a few years ago. They were tough on the court and were in the weight room more than any basketball team in the area. Finished 3rd and 4th in district his 2 years there when they hadn’t won a district game in a few seasons. He’s young, full of energy, and very well liked and respected by the players. Could be a great hire if given the chance. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 11:50 AM, birddog7987 said:

No he didn’t, but he interviewed for it. Just curious as to why the AD/HFC and OC are trying to get out.

Is there a common denominator? Supt? Board? Seems like HCs don’t stay their very long. 

On 12/30/2020 at 1:04 AM, 2time said:

I completely agree with you. I know that Coach Turner was in charge of that weight room during Coach Stine’s tenure. They won a State and National Championship in Powerlifting during that time. Stine was hard nosed and pushed those players. They were practiced hard and they played hard. Very tough teams. That’s what has lacked since Graf has been at the helm. Great guy but not one that was hard nosed for he players. The culture changed. Losing became ok. Turner could definitely be that man but that’s also why I mentioned the basketball coach, Coach Hart, from a few years ago. They were tough on the court and were in the weight room more than any basketball team in the area. Finished 3rd and 4th in district his 2 years there when they hadn’t won a district game in a few seasons. He’s young, full of energy, and very well liked and respected by the players. Could be a great hire if given the chance. 

No football experience though.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:15 PM, Ttownhornet said:

If a coach likes to be told how to run their program by the parents and certain board members, then Redwater is the place to go! 

What's wrong with that? This sounds like every small East Texas town. Most of the time, the board members are former HS players, and they know what is best for the program.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

1 minute ago, DeKlabBeers said:

What's wrong with that? This sounds like every small East Texas town. Most of the time, the board members are former HS players, and they know what is best for the program.

If they could just find a guy that would do things like they did when they played there! They would be county champs again! Yee Haw! 

• LOL! 2

Money isn't everything!! He has a system set up, coaches in place where he wants them. He has built a football factory and has total autonomy. Talking to some of his assistants that coach other sports, they are happy being assistants and winning. Carthage is a very nice community to raise a family, a good school district and cost of living is pretty low. 

All of us should aspire to be in that kind of situation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3