Shiner takes out Refugio 24-13

hwy35tigers

Nothing fancy about Shiner.......just some home-grown big good football players that have been playing together since grade school.  They said that Shiner has 20 seniors this season.......that's alot for a 2a school their size.  They just dominated both LOS and played ol' fashioned in your face football.

Shiner was favored this year. Unfortunately Refugio lost their best player in the 3rd quarter with a mild concussion. Not sure if they win with him in but it certainly would have helped. Shiner is so big and physical for a 2a with numerous skill people. That was the second fewest points they scored all year but against East Bernard they had 7 fumbles. Pretty clean game for them today and Refugio needed some breaks. Refugio is really young and will be pretty salty next year

Shiner was just the better team this year, but by a lot less than many thought.  Refugio represented themselves well, containing Shiner's #2 that ran wild on Mason last week.  Certainly tough for Refugio to mount a serious comeback once their #1 (Kelly) went out with the concussion.  

I was fortunate to be on the sideline and a few things that stood out to me that are hard to know how they impacted the game:

1) Refugio had the ball deep in their own territory with only about 2 minutes left on clock in first half.  They threw 3 straight passes, taking almost zero time off the clock.  Shiner got it back and scored right at the end of the first half making it 14-7.  If Refugio had run some time with running plays, Shiner may not have had time to score and it would have been 7-7 at half.

2) Starting second half, Refugio went for it their first 2 possessions on 4th down and didn't make it.  They were near the 45-50 both times.  If they would have punted and put Shiner deeper, it could have had some impact.  We'll never know.

3) Seemed like the Kelly kid didn't get enough touches in the first half.  He's their go-to guy, but I can only recall him touching the ball 4-5 times.  One of those he took some 80 yards for a TD.

I'll be surprised if Shiner doesn't take the championship and I'll be pulling for them.  I do think that Post may have a legitimate shot though as they were solid last year and I hear they brought back almost everything.