Tyler High

cujoforlife

6 minutes ago, VonG said:

You still had 76 players on your varsity pictures. That means you had a large junior class. Something JT hasn't had in years. I also want to know what excuses I was making. 

You practically blamed not winning on the fact that y’all only have 17 seniors on the roster. It’s the coaching. Has been. Lufkin has the same issue. But we haven’t hit rock bottom like JT yet.

15 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

You practically blamed not winning on the fact that y’all only have 17 seniors on the roster. It’s the coaching. Has been. Lufkin has the same issue. But we haven’t hit rock bottom like JT yet.

That's not an excuse. That's a fact. No numbers with average talent is what you get. A 2-7 record. None of the years JT was good, did they have only 17 seniors. They were damn near sending 17 players to college in the years that they were good. 

Y'all had 34 seniors when the season started. That's twice as much as JT. I don't care what you had on senior night last night. 

29 minutes ago, LOBOFAN84 said:

I do not live in Tyler. And the team formally known as JT is my #1 team to hate, believe that. But, I also hate to see a once very proud program, be turned into what it is now. And the blame lies entirely with the coaching staff.  They are supposed to be the leaders....the shepherds so to speak. If they can't lead, the herd fails. That means is the coaching staff can't get it together the administration needs to step in...if that fails....you need to clean house, top to bottom and start from scratch. Those kids deserve better.

Like I said, just how I see it.

Go Lobos!

Yea its sad to see the program in this shape. 

by the way, you know there is a thin line between love and hate.....LOL

• LOL! 1

9 hours ago, LOBOFAN84 said:

My opinion only.......

Tyler has always had exceptional talent and the majority of that talent wasn't coached, it just was. Then, all that talent that comes out of Tyler started going other places. That is when the coaches had to show what they were made of, they couldn't. It is easy to coach exceptional, football minded kids. You just let them loose and they do what they do. Then you have kids that NEED to be coached to get better. They don't have anyone teaching them. In any interview I have ever seen, the coaching staff has never taken the blame for any of this. It is sad that these kids have not been given any direction to be better players. It is also sad to me that these kids have not gotten a fair shake. 

Just my .02 cents.

GO LOBOS!

A very good thorough observation of the last five years.

I could go on and on about the basic techniques seems to be lacking, with the many other challenges that goes on off the field. Not even talking about wins are losses.
You said it!

The bothering thing about it is, it could take just as long to get back to winning on a consistent level.

A Dysfunctional Family JMO

“Aren’t We All”

CUJO!! We Will Be Back

40 minutes ago, cujo2016 said:

A very good thorough observation of the last five years.

I could go on and on about the basic techniques seems to be lacking, with the many other challenges that goes on off the field. Not even talking about wins are losses.
You said it!

The bothering thing about it is, it could take just as long to get back to winning on a consistent level.

A Dysfunctional Family JMO

“Aren’t We All”

CUJO!! We Will Be Back

Yes, we are all dysfunctional in our own way. And it will take as long to get back, when a new coaching staff is installed. They will have to start from scratch. It won't be easy and I do not envy that in the least.  They will have to find kids that are willing to buy into a new system, too. It happens everywhere.  We are unique in East Texas. Sometimes, we don't have the same privileges that these big, rich school districts have. That has always been ok. We have to just do us. Tyler will be back. They will get a coaching staff in there that wants the kids to shine and it will be back on.

Go Lobos.

• Like 1

Will JT be back, though?

They went to state in 2000.

Since then, it's been all downhill. They had a flash in the pan when Rush was the coach. Other than that, it's been full circle and JT is right where they were in 2002-2003 when nobody wanted to be a part of that program and they were averaging 17 fans at their games. 

I guess if they hire the right coach they could somehow get back, but when you lose participation it takes more than a coach to get it back. Even if they get a coach who's to say they won't use JT as a stepping stone the way Rush did?

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Will JT be back, though?

Since then, it's been all downhill. They had a flash in the pan when Rush was the coach. Other than that, it's been full circle and JT is right where they were in 2002-2003 when nobody wanted to be a part of that program and they were averaging 17 fans at their games. 

I guess if they hire the right coach they could somehow get back, but when you lose participation it takes more than a coach to get it back. Even if they get a coach who's to say they won't use JT as a stepping stone the way Rush did?

They were close to going to state when they were leading HP by like three tds a few seasons ago, so i wouldn’t say it’s been all downhill. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pack007 said:

They were close to going to state when they were leading HP by like three tds a few seasons ago, so i wouldn’t say it’s been all downhill. 

That playoff run might've been the worst thing that has happened to Tyler, in terms of keeping Holmes.

They missed the playoffs in 2017, they were horrible in 2019 and got destroyed in the first round, they were beyond horrible in 2020 and missed the playoffs. That "flash in the pan" run of 2018 is the only thing they've had the last four years. And 2021 is not going to be any better by any looks of it.

22 hours ago, VonG said:

That's funny. Packattack said if I remember correctly y'all had 34 seniors and 32 juniors with like 11 sophomores. Y'all had 70+ kids on your varsity this year. JT barely had half of that. 

They definitely dont have the low numbers TH has but...

You go to a Lufkin game...they definitely dont have 70+ on the sidelines.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Will JT be back, though?

How has been been downhill for awhile when JT has been to 3 semifinals 3 quarterfinals a 3rd round appearance in there first year in 6A 2nd round appearance in 08 , 15, and playoff appearance in 13. The only down hill years have been 17,19,20? Teams would love to even have the run even though the last 3 out of 4 years have not been but to the been downhill is not true. Lurking has been worse off than we have if your looking at the last decade in terms of  deep playoff runs. We have been the second most dominant big school team in east Texas outside of Longview over the last decade

• Like 2

Yea he must forgot Jt had Greg ward Bryson smith  jermery Johnson , David bush  geo, those qbs where on some pretty good teams the 2012 team who lost to guyer could of won state was one stop away from beating guyer the 2018 team as well but jt was winning district most those years beside the last few years 

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

They definitely dont have the low numbers TH has but...

You go to a Lufkin game...they definitely dont have 70+ on the sidelines.

Have you been to a game? They had more players than Lee when they played. They had 76 on their team picture. No matter what has happened. They have more players on their roster than JT and Lee. 

24 minutes ago, VonG said:

Have you been to a game? 

More than I'd like to....my significant other graduated from Lufkin...so we try to go half and half on Longview-Lufkin games every year. They didnt have 70+ on varsity in any of the games I went to this year.

P.S.....Friday will be fun in our household.

• Grumpy 1

21 minutes ago, ANTI said:

More than I'd like to....my significant other graduated from Lufkin...so we try to go half and half on Longview-Lufkin games every year. They didnt have 70+ on varsity in any of the games I went to this year.

P.S.....Friday will be fun in our household.

He talking about pictures....we definitely don’t have that many players. 

15 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

He talking about pictures....we definitely don’t have that many players. 

Yeah I know.

You think yall finally cut ties with that coaching staff this offseason? Especially with that whole situation with Davis?

My two cents... in covering HS football over the last 39 years in radio... going to practices 2-3 days were week after I Ieave the office, here is what I’ve observed — Accountability among players and parents has depreciated significantly. Not long ago, it was the players fault for missing a tackle, now it’s the coach’s fault. If a kid fails, it’s gotta be the teacher. If a coach makes the playoffs three out of four years and then misses two or three years in a row, suddenly, he can’t coach and he’s gotta go. Really?

Ive been seeing this develop for years... it’s all over the place, not just here in Jacksonville. Some programs manage this better than others. Admittedly, we are struggling with accountability here, I know that.

People want to always fire the coach, I get that, it’s human nature. But I’ve seen LOTS of parents that need to be fired before I’d fire the coach.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

How has been been downhill for awhile when JT has been to 3 semifinals 3 quarterfinals a 3rd round appearance in there first year in 6A 2nd round appearance in 08 , 15, and playoff appearance in 13. The only down hill years have been 17,19,20? Teams would love to even have the run even though the last 3 out of 4 years have not been but to the been downhill is not true. Lurking has been worse off than we have if your looking at the last decade in terms of  deep playoff runs. We have been the second most dominant big school team in east Texas outside of Longview over the last decade

Yea, I don't think he has been paying attention.  Not a flash in the pan at all.

From 2009-2018, JT was right up there with alot of the top programs in the state.

2009-District title in the highest class-4 rounds deep in playoffs (quarterfinals)

2010-Drop to 4a, district title, 4 rounds deep in playoffs.

2011-Won distict, state semi finals (5 rounds deep)

2012- Won district again, semifinals again.

2014-state semi finals

2016- won 6a district,  3rd round. playoffs

2018- district title, 4th round.

All Coach Holmes, 2012 to now.  But last couple yrs  have been very bad.  

A good soph more class, and some good individuals in the freshman group, but program as a whole is in bad shape.