Tyler High

cujoforlife

11 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

That playoff run might've been the worst thing that has happened to Tyler, in terms of keeping Holmes.

They missed the playoffs in 2017, they were horrible in 2019 and got destroyed in the first round, they were beyond horrible in 2020 and missed the playoffs. That "flash in the pan" run of 2018 is the only thing they've had the last four years. And 2021 is not going to be any better by any looks of it.

I wouldn't say that. Up until then, He only had one bad season, and they went 5-5 that yr.  Although not the best recent JT team, that 2018 team had enough talent to make a deep run.  The issue is what has happen since. Its not just the losses, its the collapse in the entire program. When you can't field a Freshman team, and the parents and kids are turning against you, its a bad sign of things to come.

The truth is that he has won enough to get the chance to turn things around. And maybe he will, but it seems like an uphill battle to me.

19 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Yea, I don't think he has been paying attention.  Not a flash in the pan at all.

From 2009-2018, JT was right up there with alot of the top programs in the state.

2009-District title in the highest class-4 rounds deep in playoffs (quarterfinals)

2010-Drop to 4a, district title, 4 rounds deep in playoffs.

2011-Won distict, state semi finals (5 rounds deep)

2012- Won district again, semifinals again.

2014-state semi finals

2016- won 6a district,  3rd round. playoffs

2018- district title, 4th round.

All Coach Holmes, 2012 to now.  But last couple yrs  have been very bad.  

A good soph more class, and some good individuals in the freshman group, but program as a whole is in bad shape.

Sometimes it's best not to reply to some of the things people say.

99 I'm a throw some names out there off the top of head. Please tell me what do they all have in common. Morris Anderson, Matt Flynn, Greg Ward, Tim Jones, James Allen, Avery Saenz, Tommie Griffin, Jeremy Johnson, Patrick Mahomes, Bryson Smith, Arthur Hunter, Charles Bell, Josh Hill, Hunter Taylor, Jeff Hillard, David Bush, Leroy Thomas, Johnny Manziel, Jake Smith, Geo McAllister, Zack Hall, Cletus McGee, Mickey Jones, Marcus Jackson, Darrell Allen, Kerry Maddox, Traye Porter, Tyler Baker, Brady Attaway, Mikey Jones,, Cadillac Woods, and etc. There are more but these were off the top of my head. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

My two cents... in covering HS football over the last 39 years in radio... going to practices 2-3 days were week after I Ieave the office, here is what I’ve observed — Accountability among players and parents has depreciated significantly. Not long ago, it was the players fault for missing a tackle, now it’s the coach’s fault. If a kid fails, it’s gotta be the teacher. If a coach makes the playoffs three out of four years and then misses two or three years in a row, suddenly, he can’t coach and he’s gotta go. Really?

Ive been seeing this develop for years... it’s all over the place, not just here in Jacksonville. Some programs manage this better than others. Admittedly, we are struggling with accountability here, I know that.

People want to always fire the coach, I get that, it’s human nature. But I’ve seen LOTS of parents that need to be fired before I’d fire the coach.

True but in certain situations not all situations you can tell a coach has ran his course and when other fans from other schools notice it, it is a problem. Point blank simple coach gotta go. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

Yea, I don't think he has been paying attention.  Not a flash in the pan at all.

From 2009-2018, JT was right up there with alot of the top programs in the state.

2009-District title in the highest class-4 rounds deep in playoffs (quarterfinals)

2010-Drop to 4a, district title, 4 rounds deep in playoffs.

2011-Won distict, state semi finals (5 rounds deep)

2012- Won district again, semifinals again.

2014-state semi finals

2016- won 6a district,  3rd round. playoffs

2018- district title, 4th round.

All Coach Holmes, 2012 to now.  But last couple yrs  have been very bad.  

A good soph more class, and some good individuals in the freshman group, but program as a whole is in bad shape.

100% JT was a top 5 if not top 2-3 team in the state from 2009 to 2012 and 2014 also.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

59 minutes ago, VonG said:

99 I'm a throw some names out there off the top of head. Please tell me what do they all have in common. Morris Anderson, Matt Flynn, Greg Ward, Tim Jones, James Allen, Avery Saenz, Tommie Griffin, Jeremy Johnson, Patrick Mahomes, Bryson Smith, Arthur Hunter, Charles Bell, Josh Hill, Hunter Taylor, Jeff Hillard, David Bush, Leroy Thomas, Johnny Manziel, Jake Smith, Geo McAllister, Zack Hall, Cletus McGee, Mickey Jones, Marcus Jackson, Darrell Allen, Kerry Maddox, Traye Porter, Tyler Baker, Brady Attaway, Mikey Jones,, Cadillac Woods, and etc. There are more but these were off the top of my head. 

very good qbs from the tyler area. Most of them played Div.1 football.

I thought Ford could have been a good qb for Tyler this yr. I think they would have made playoffs with him.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

very good qbs from the tyler area. Most of them played Div.1 football.

I thought Ford could have been a good qb for Tyler this yr. I think they would have made playoffs with him.

Yep. We had a good run of good to great high school qbs from this area. I  wonder what's changed. We seem to be struggling fielding teams with at least descent QBs. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

Yep. We had a good run of good to great high school qbs from this area. I  wonder what's changed. We seem to be struggling fielding teams with at least descent QBs. 

The string of QBs is really not normal.  It could be just a cycle or maybe some potential qbs are being asked to play other positions. like kid at Lee from Three Lakes a few yrs ago. He is a DB now.

Sometimes you got to find these players in the system. I think Geo and Maddox played other positions and were converted to qbs.

On 12/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, JTFAN99 said:

The string of QBs is really not normal.  It could be just a cycle or maybe some potential qbs are being asked to play other positions. like kid at Lee from Three Lakes a few yrs ago. He is a DB now.

Sometimes you got to find these players in the system. I think Geo and Maddox played other positions and were converted to qbs.

He the best qb at Lee but he doesn't want to play qb.

Maddox was an athlete that could play qb.

I don’t think it’s necessary to get on this public forum to bash this staff. These men have families. I can assure you that they are not purposefully going out to lose games. I can assure you that they have not forgotten how to coach! If you feel that strongly about them and their abilities to  lead and coach, why not go up to the athletic offices and talk to them face to face. It stinks that you can sit behind a screen and keyboard typing while they are trying to lead these students to become better players but more importantly better human beings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoundForGreatness said:

I don’t think it’s necessary to get on this public forum to bash this staff. These men have families. I can assure you that they are not purposefully going out to lose games. I can assure you that they have not forgotten how to coach! If you feel that strongly about them and their abilities to  lead and coach, why not go up to the athletic offices and talk to them face to face. It stinks that you can sit behind a screen and keyboard typing while they are trying to lead these students to become better players but more importantly better human beings.

To be honest with you if they did their jobs nobody would be talking about about them. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Sorry not sorry. When you have other fans from other schools notice how bad your coaches are ITS A PROBLEM. but hey if you want to just throw it under the rug then go ahead, Tyler high will just keep having 2-3 win seasons if that’s cool with you it’s cool with me LOL. 😂😂 No accountability 

1 hour ago, BoundForGreatness said:

When doctors, lawyers, politicians etc do poor jobs, we have no problem calling them out on it.

A mechanic gets underneath the hood of your car and screws up some stuff, I bet you'd be very vocal about the poor job he did.

But somehow, discussing bad coaching is off limits. Why?

That's a rhetorical question....I already know what this is about.

Hit dogs always holler.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ANTI said:

When doctors, lawyers, politicians etc do poor jobs, we have no problem calling them out on it.

A mechanic gets underneath the hood of your car and screws up some stuff, I bet you'd be very vocal about the poor job he did.

But somehow, discussing bad coaching is off limits. Why?

That's a rhetorical question....I already know what this is about.

Hit dogs always holler.

Probably a coaches wife or parent with a player on the team, too scared to stand up to Holmes, probably don’t want there kid to end up like Ford LOL. 

24 minutes ago, Swingingabigstick said:

looked up his twitter handle... girls track coach from Aldine ISD

Oh a probably a Holmes groupie I see, I all the coaches that agree on stuff he spews out or that they spew out that doesn’t make sense, are usually at schools that are not very successful in sports LOL. Apple don’t fall to far from the tree. 

3 hours ago, BoundForGreatness said:

Ok, let me clear up my position.

I think Coach Holmes had done a very good job at JT from 2012 to 2018.  On paper, you could argue he is one of the best coaches in JT history. In a 7 yr span, he went to two semi finals, a quarterfinals, and 3rd round after moving up and winning a solid 6a district. He also has alot of good wins. He also does alot to get these kids notice and getting them college scholarships.

So, I don't mean to disrespect him, his coaches, or his family.  He has earned the right to get things turned around at the school. However, sometimes in life, things run its course.  Kids are either quiting or not coming out. This should be the opposite, when you have won like he has. Not to mention, he is from North Tyler, so that should be another selling point for kids to come out.

Doesn't mean he can't coach anymore. He could easily go somewhere else and do well. I just think that the relationship is falling apart, and sometimes its best for both parties to move on.  I wish him luck either way.  Hopefully if he stays, he gets things turned around. 

The coaches didn't forget how to coach. The talent for the last two years has not been very deep. Add in the fact the numbers are down. This is what you get.

If Miller was at JT. I could see 3-4 more wins for JT. Him and Pinkard in the backfield would have been dangerous. Pinkard can throw and run. Miller can run and catch. They would have beat Sherman,  McKinney North, Nac if they played them, Lee, Horn, and possibly Texas High. They wasn't beating Longview or Highland Park regardless. 

Teams load the box against Lee and they still can't stop Miller or Bryson. Lee has 2 1000 yards rushers. Miller has 1500+ yards rushing with 19 rushing tds. He 400+ yards receiving with 10 tds. There is no reason for me to believe he wouldn't have done the same thing at JT with Pinkard being his qb. Pinkard is definitely a bigger threat at qb than Adams at Lee. 

There goes your wins right there. A four star running back with a dual threat qb. Equals a dangerous combination. All JT needed was Miller and they'll have at least 6-7 wins with the schedule they had this year. Lack of talent = lack of wins.

I understand that the district, as a whole, has the difficult job of retaining Tyler students due to several very aggressive privates/charters in town. I've got a lot of in-laws in Tyler, and they all bemoan how this or that athlete came up in TISD, but is now a star somewhere else, sometimes even at smaller districts like Whitehouse, Bullard, or Winona. 

What do you think the district administration could be doing better to keeping Tyler athletes in TISD? 

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

I understand that the district, as a whole, has the difficult job of retaining Tyler students due to several very aggressive privates/charters in town. I've got a lot of in-laws in Tyler, and they all bemoan how this or that athlete came up in TISD, but is now a star somewhere else, sometimes even at smaller districts like Whitehouse, Bullard, or Winona. 

What do you think the district administration could be doing better to keeping Tyler athletes in TISD? 

Nothing they can do will keep students from transferring to other schools imo. People love choices. They have alot of that in Tyler. I would like to know what other small city in Texas has that many schools in their city limits. 

• Like 1

Just now, VonG said:

Nothing they can do will keep students from transferring to other schools imo. People love choices. They have alot of that in Tyler. I would like to know what other small city in Texas has that many schools in their city limits. 

Sure, and I understand that...  I guess I'm just trying to think of what the district could be doing to make TISD seem like the best option for any families who want their student to have optimum success.