Tyler High

cujoforlife

10 hours ago, ANTI said:

When doctors, lawyers, politicians etc do poor jobs, we have no problem calling them out on it.

A mechanic gets underneath the hood of your car and screws up some stuff, I bet you'd be very vocal about the poor job he did.

But somehow, discussing bad coaching is off limits. Why?

That's a rhetorical question....I already know what this is about.

Hit dogs always holler.

Uhhhh, I see your point .... but... your analogy has some flaws. I think the legal term is non sequiter. Lawyers, mechanics, doctors.... they don’t depend on 16-17 year olds to do the surgery, close the argument, or fix the transmission. Look, I’m not saying coaches are off limits... but what is wrong with admitting it’s also the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s, not just coaches. Let me coach North Shore or Denton Ryan and I’ll probably win more than I lose, no? My point is ..., sometimes it’s the lack of talent, not just the coaches. Im just saying that after a loss, no one ever says, “Man, those parents sure didn’t create much talent on that team!” LOL!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VonG said:

The coaches didn't forget how to coach. The talent for the last two years has not been very deep. Add in the fact the numbers are down. This is what you get.

If Miller was at JT. I could see 3-4 more wins for JT. Him and Pinkard in the backfield would have been dangerous. Pinkard can throw and run. Miller can run and catch. They would have beat Sherman,  McKinney North, Nac if they played them, Lee, Horn, and possibly Texas High. They wasn't beating Longview or Highland Park regardless. 

Teams load the box against Lee and they still can't stop Miller or Bryson. Lee has 2 1000 yards rushers. Miller has 1500+ yards rushing with 19 rushing tds. He 400+ yards receiving with 10 tds. There is no reason for me to believe he wouldn't have done the same thing at JT with Pinkard being his qb. Pinkard is definitely a bigger threat at qb than Adams at Lee. 

There goes your wins right there. A four star running back with a dual threat qb. Equals a dangerous combination. All JT needed was Miller and they'll have at least 6-7 wins with the schedule they had this year. Lack of talent = lack of wins.

Exactly, VonG!! 

5 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

in Coach Holmes defense, with no spring or summer, it probably would have been tough to change things up, 

JTFan, I do think that this seriously played into this season for Holmes (and even some other teams across the state of Texas).   For some, this Covid BS really has taken its toll physically, academically, and especially mentally of a lot of people.  Not using it as an excuse, whatsoever, but it would be interesting to know how many young men were pulled from playing this year by their families.

Another question is why no freshman team or actually, teams.  Tyler (and yes, it will always be JT to me), has always had two full 9th grade teams each fall.  So this will definitely be a huge factor next year, no matter who is at the helm of Cujo Nation.  

I hope that TISD will see this year as anomaly for Holmes and let see what happens next year when hopefully, things get back to normal.

5 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

thats the problem. It appears kids don't want to play for Cujo

I wasn't talking about kids who are at JT. I was talking about kids who wanted to go to JT but couldn't because of the way the lines were drawn. Their were plenty of kids whose parents filled out the paperwork to transfer and were denied the opportunity. Deep down inside I believe Miller still wanted to be a JT Lion. He wouldn't have said it in his interview if he didn't still have feelings towards it.

1 hour ago, VonG said:

Holmes is not going nowhere. If he was he would have been fired Monday morning like Piske at Lee. As soon as the season was over he would have had his release papers.

Doesn't mean he isn't going anywhere, just means he probably won't be fired by TISD. 

1 hour ago, IndependentContractor said:

JTFan, I do think that this seriously played into this season for Holmes (and even some other teams across the state of Texas).   For some, this Covid BS really has taken its toll physically, academically, and especially mentally of a lot of people.  Not using it as an excuse, whatsoever, but it would be interesting to know how many young men were pulled from playing this year by their families.

yea, good points

24 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Doesn't mean he isn't going anywhere, just means he probably won't be fired by TISD. 

I'm talking about being fired. He can always leave on his on. Would you leave your job on your own if you was making the type of money he is making? I also don't see him leaving if he is not the head coach somewhere. He doesn't want to be a person who has to take orders again from someone else. He wants to run his own program. 

Just now, VonG said:

I'm talking about being fired. He can always leave on his on. Would you leave your job on your own if you was making the type of money he is making? I also don't see him leaving if he is not going to be the head coach somewhere. He doesn't want to be a person who has to take orders again from someone else. He wants to run his own program. 

I don’t think no one wants him. That’s why he is still here. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Uhhhh, I see your point .... but... your analogy has some flaws. I think the legal term is non sequiter. Lawyers, mechanics, doctors.... they don’t depend on 16-17 year olds to do the surgery, close the argument, or fix the transmission. Look, I’m not saying coaches are off limits... but what is wrong with admitting it’s also the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s, not just coaches. Let me coach North Shore or Denton Ryan and I’ll probably win more than I lose, no? My point is ..., sometimes it’s the lack of talent, not just the coaches. Im just saying that after a loss, no one ever says, “Man, those parents sure didn’t create much talent on that team!” LOL!!

Well, we've said 6 million times now that there has been a talent dip at Tyler High. That's been acknowledged.

But what does talent dip have to do with going for it on 4th down from your own 30...twice...early in a game...among many other things?

What is Holmes doing to elevate the talent and put them in best position to win?

23 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Well, we've said 6 million times now that there has been a talent dip at Tyler High. That's been acknowledged.

But what does talent dip have to do with going for it on 4th down from your own 30...twice...early in a game...among many other things?

What is Holmes doing to elevate the talent and put them in best position to win?

Ah I missed the lack of talent discussion, my bad. Like I said, it’s never just one thing why a program starts failing, not just the coach, not just the players. Some talent cannot be elevated, some can be. I hear you. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ANTI said:

I concur...  I think it'd be one thing if Tyler High had just been out-talented this season. Even in the short duration I've been a part of Lobo Nation, I've seen some years where the expectations are tempered. Hell, even before the pandemic, I don't think anyone was penciling us in the final four for 5A. 

But the anvil that breaks the camel's back is when you go into a game at a talent deficit, and put yourself in even worse situations due to poor tactics. 

Honest question for Lion fans: let's say your team had the exact same record it does now, but they "looked" better (even in defeat) during gameplay, would you feel more confident in the state of the program? 

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I concur...  I think it'd be one thing if Tyler High had just been out-talented this season. Even in the short duration I've been a part of Lobo Nation, I've seen some years where the expectations are tempered. Hell, even before the pandemic, I don't think anyone was penciling us in the final four for 5A. 

But the anvil that breaks the camel's back is when you go into a game at a talent deficit, and put yourself in even worse situations due to poor tactics. 

Honest question for Lion fans: let's say your team had the exact same record it does now, but they "looked" better (even in defeat) during gameplay, would you feel more confident in the state of the program? 

Yes I would if we had legit competed in our losses to where it was like we had a real chance to win games then I would feel better about next season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

So y’all are saying talent carried him through those good years, or he forgot how to coach. The tactics things y’all are talking about suggest he wasn’t a good coach ever. Or he’s gotten lazy?

Talent carried him his whole career, now your finally seeing he could never really coach or develop talent. 

18 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Talent carried him his whole career, now your finally seeing he could never really coach or develop talent. 

He can coach. Talent makes everyone look great. We not go downplay him like that. Look at Belicheck. He was the greatest when he had Tom Brady. Now that Brady is gone he doesn't look so great. Every coach has to have talent in order to win. I don't care how many x's and o's you can draw up. You have nothing without the jimmy's and joe's. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VonG said:

He can coach. Talent makes everyone look great. We not go downplay him like that. Look at Belicheck. He was the greatest when he had Tom Brady. Now that Brady is gone he doesn't look so great. Every coach has to have talent in order to win. I don't care how many x's and o's you can draw up. You have nothing without the jimmy's and joe's. 

Suratt, Jon Kay, king, and other would be just fine without the Jimmy’s and joes 

37 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Suratt, Jon Kay, king, and other would be just fine without the Jimmy’s and joes 

Seriously. Northshore and Longview are hot beds for talent. Carthage definitely has talent to. They have sent a lot of players to D1. The running for Texas is from Carthage. Longview won state with a  5 star qb right? Northshore is the most talented team in the state. They not winning without stud players. If they win at places like Bullard, Grand Saline, All Saints, Palestine Westwood, and etc. Then them some bad boys. Until then, they have to talent.