Whoever ref’d the Gilmer Vs Graham game shouldn’t even be allowed to red pewee football

NotCoachVice

46 minutes ago, MoveTheChain said:

It did seem a bit over the top a few times.  Glad it wasn't just me and my biased opinion.  Gilmer has been known to get a penalty or dozen this year though.

Yeah the second half of the game was ridiculous. You would think they would have better/moderately fair refs this deep in the playoffs 

My understanding is the coaches have a say in the chapter to call the game. If they can not agree, then they flip a coin. Gilder must have lost the coin flip. Sadly, I suspect there will only be a decline in the quality of officials.  Not many people want to serve the game as officials.

16 hours ago, MoveTheChain said:

It did seem a bit over the top a few times.  Glad it wasn't just me and my biased opinion.  Gilmer has been known to get a penalty or dozen this year though.

I am watching the game now.  The Gilmer announcers make it appear that the Refs made horrible calls.  They think every flag is against the other team.  If it’s not they complain.  TBH I thought the calls were even.  I would also say Gilmer is very fortunate.  Graham was two plays away from sending that game to OT.  It was like Gilmer didn’t come out of the locker room at half.  Definitely owned the first half, then checked out in the second half.

17 hours ago, NotCoachVice said:

Yeah the second half of the game was ridiculous. You would think they would have better/moderately fair refs this deep in the playoffs 

Sad thing is it’s only going to get worse. Officials aren’t paid near enough to have to deal with the abuse they take from coaches and parents.  Then you have the situation where a rogue player who was ejected run full speed and assault an official. It’s a wonder there are any officials left at all.

• Thanks 1

In my opinion the solution rests directly on the shoulders of the coaches. How many coaches pull the even tempered seniors aside after their playing careers are over and suggest they can stay involved in the game by officiating? My guess is very few. They probably would not like the feedback they get rejecting their suggestion. “Coach, why would I want to get abused by you and the fans”. My observation is the offensive coordinator is in charge of the offense. The defensive coordinator is in charge of the defense. The Head Coach is in charge of managing the referees. Until coaches start managing the kids and not the referees, the referee pool will continue to decline.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bordertown said:

In my opinion the solution rests directly on the shoulders of the coaches. How many coaches pull the even tempered seniors aside after their playing careers are over and suggest they can stay involved in the game by officiating? My guess is very few. They probably would not like the feedback they get rejecting their suggestion. “Coach, why would I want to get abused by you and the fans”. My observation is the offensive coordinator is in charge of the offense. The defensive coordinator is in charge of the defense. The Head Coach is in charge of managing the referees. Until coaches start managing the kids and not the referees, the referee pool will continue to decline.

Exactly right!   The kids do what they are allowed to do and if you look closely the coaches are not disciplining players for acting foolish.   

17 hours ago, bordertown said:

5 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

Exactly right!   The kids do what they are allowed to do and if you look closely the coaches are not disciplining players for acting foolish.   

Y’all making some real broad statements about “the coaches”. There’s a lot of them in Texas and y’all just said it’s their fault refs are bad and players are bad.

• Thanks 1

A lot of things go in the mix. Some coaches, especially the younger lower level coaches, want to cry, scream, complain about everything. Some kids do the same.

The bottom line is you spend an inordinate amount of time away from your family and job to officiate Texas high school football. Some folks can most can’t. The money for doing it is not very good, the time spent is a burden sometimes. Injuries, retirement of older officials and such make it difficult to keep the numbers up. Did it for 29 years and loved it most of the time, injuries forced me to give it up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Y’all making some real broad statements about “the coaches”. There’s a lot of them in Texas and y’all just said it’s their fault refs are bad and players are bad.

Wrong .... I am giving a rationale why there are “bad” referees. It is basically a numbers game. If referees are not “up to standards”, but they are the “best” available, what are you going to do? Play with what you have available or play without officials. My point is I don’t think coaches understand they are part of the solution to the referee shortage, which results in substandard officials in many cases. They need to be recruiting individuals to enter officiating. I could be wrong, maybe the fans need to be recruiting individuals to be officials. Maybe, it’s the guy next to you in the stands that can identify all the missed calls.

• Like 3

Guest Tiger03lb
On 12/12/2020 at 5:44 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

I am watching the game now.  The Gilmer announcers make it appear that the Refs made horrible calls.  They think every flag is against the other team.  If it’s not they complain.  TBH I thought the calls were even.  I would also say Gilmer is very fortunate.  Graham was two plays away from sending that game to OT.  It was like Gilmer didn’t come out of the locker room at half.  Definitely owned the first half, then checked out in the second half.

Out all the games I've seen this year, they've been calling each side fair this year. They've been letting them play for the most part.