Longview Lobo Football Scheduling 2021

Quick

Okay, I am asking this question in all seriousness from ALL Lobo Alumni, Boosters, avid supporters and fans alike.

How do we improve our competition pre-district?

WHO would you SERIOUSLY suggest as an opponent in a scrimmage and then what team would you want on our non-district schedule to prepare this Lobo team for 2021? And, state your reason WHY.

Also, I am NOT a fan of just one scrimmage. I suggest (2) solid scrimmages from two behemoth programs to better prepare our team and get us up to speed but, what are YOUR thoughts?

I don't know who our strength and conditioning coach is, to be honest. Do we have one or is one of our coaches doubling as the strength and conditioning coach to save money? If we have one, I personally am not happy with where we are at STRENGTH wise and STAMINA wise. I can do anything about our size. It is what it is in that department. We MUST not only do better but, we have to double our strength and stamina.

We need a quarterback program. Period. Point Blank. Before getting into the 9th grade at Longview High, we need a relentless onslaught LOBO QB ACADEMY designed STRICTLY for arm strength, cadence calling, accuracy, pocket presence and awareness, precision throwing under duress, footwork, defense reading, audibles, protection sliding, MECHANICS, film study, film study, film study. These guys need to have their own 3 ring binder with nothing but play calls and it needs to be super thick!

This football program is good. And, I mean damn good. But, guess what??? We've been damn good for a long damn time. It's time to transcend from where we are at into being GREAT. When people ask where you're from and you say, Longview, our name alone in Lobo Football ought to ring in their heads if they don't know nothing else about Longview. We got the "horses" here. But, we ain't utilizing them and preparing them for the distance we expect them to go. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Quick said:

Okay, I am asking this question in all seriousness from ALL Lobo Alumni, Boosters, avid supporters and fans alike.

How do we improve our competition pre-district?

WHO would you SERIOUSLY suggest as an opponent in a scrimmage and then what team would you want on our non-district schedule to prepare this Lobo team for 2021? And, state your reason WHY.

Also, I am NOT a fan of just one scrimmage. I suggest (2) solid scrimmages from two behemoth programs to better prepare our team and get us up to speed but, what are YOUR thoughts?

I don't know who our strength and conditioning coach is, to be honest. Do we have one or is one of our coaches doubling as the strength and conditioning coach to save money? If we have one, I personally am not happy with where we are at STRENGTH wise and STAMINA wise. I can do anything about our size. It is what it is in that department. We MUST not only do better but, we have to double our strength and stamina.

We need a quarterback program. Period. Point Blank. Before getting into the 9th grade at Longview High, we need a relentless onslaught LOBO QB ACADEMY designed STRICTLY for arm strength, cadence calling, accuracy, pocket presence and awareness, precision throwing under duress, footwork, defense reading, audibles, protection sliding, MECHANICS, film study, film study, film study. These guys need to have their own 3 ring binder with nothing but play calls and it needs to be super thick!

This football program is good. And, I mean damn good. But, guess what??? We've been damn good for a long damn time. It's time to transcend from where we are at into being GREAT. When people ask where you're from and you say, Longview, our name alone in Lobo Football ought to ring in their heads if they don't know nothing else about Longview. We got the "horses" here. But, we ain't utilizing them and preparing them for the distance we expect them to go. 

Well if you have spring practice, you can only have one scrimmage.

And the schedule for 2021 is already set -- it is this year's schedule with the location flipped.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

3 minutes ago, JETT said:

Who is this tutt young man I keep hearing about, what # is he

So Tutt is apart of a very special freshmen group at Longview. Very good QB coming up the ranks for the Lobos.

That group blew the doors off everyone....they even blewout Highland Park 58-0

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

So Tutt is apart of a very special freshmen group at Longview. Very good QB coming up the ranks for the Lobos.

That group blew the doors off everyone....they even blewout Highland Park 58-0

Future looking brighter for the lobos... with the pool of athletes Longview produces i dont see a drop off anytime soon

1 hour ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

And the schedule for 2021 is already set -- it is this year's schedule with the location flipped.

Almost.

Longview loses Temple from the first week, as they're playing Arlington Martin in the first week of 2021 (originally was Austin Westlake, but sounds like that changed).

Also we never got confirmation if Longview and Beaumont West Brook signed a two year series or just a one to meet in Lufkin.

So right now, we have...

08/27 - TBA
09/03 - vs Marshall
09/10 - at Tyler Legacy
09/16 - Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin) **if a two year, if not TBA
09/24 - at West Mesquite* - TBA on stadium
10/01 - vs Wylie East*
10/08 - at Highland Park*
10/15 - vs Sherman*
10/29 - at McKinney North*
11/05 - vs Tyler*

King is going to stick to his guns, he's said it time and time again. Longview will always schedule Lufkin if possible. We were set to play Lufkin in Week 3, but realignment changed that. So no Lufkin in non-district these two years.

The Longview/Marshall series needs to come to an end sooner rather than later. People in Longview are tired of it and have been for a while, sounds like some over in Marshall are getting there as well finally. It's run it's course. Marshall/Carthage makes a helluva lot more sense than Longview/Marshall now a days. Hopefully it's the next go around but I'm willing to bet we get another two years of it after this next season.

Legacy wanted to schedule us bad from the sounds of it. So who knows if that will continue.

I think Texas High is a fantastic scrimmage mate. Honestly would rather play them than Marshall in the real season, but that's not gonna happen so a scrimmage against Texarkana makes sense from an East Texas point of view.

We're always going to be out on an island. No one wants to come to Longview. It's just what it is.

I love the West Brook series being in Lufkin, even if it's just for this year (and next possibly). As for week 1 this coming season, who knows who we'll be able to get. Louisiana will be having their scrimmage week that first week of Texas football, so we can't get them unless someone switches things up for us. Marshall owes New Caney a trip down there, so they can't. Lufkin and Legacy will be playing each other so they're not switching. There's just not many options.

Funny enough, Southlake Carroll and Denton Ryan both have open weeks in the first week as far as we know going into 2021. So maybe that happens? That'd be a blast.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Almost.

Longview loses Temple from the first week, as they're playing Arlington Martin in the first week of 2021 (originally was Austin Westlake, but sounds like that changed).

Also we never got confirmation if Longview and Beaumont West Brook signed a two year series or just a one to meet in Lufkin.

So right now, we have...

08/27 - TBA
09/03 - vs Marshall
09/10 - at Tyler Legacy
09/16 - Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin) **if a two year, if not TBA
09/24 - at West Mesquite* - TBA on stadium
10/01 - vs Wylie East*
10/08 - at Highland Park*
10/15 - vs Sherman*
10/29 - at McKinney North*
11/05 - vs Tyler*

King is going to stick to his guns, he's said it time and time again. Longview will always schedule Lufkin if possible. We were set to play Lufkin in Week 3, but realignment changed that. So no Lufkin in non-district these two years.

The Longview/Marshall series needs to come to an end sooner rather than later. People in Longview are tired of it and have been for a while, sounds like some over in Marshall are getting there as well finally. It's run it's course. Marshall/Carthage makes a helluva lot more sense than Longview/Marshall now a days. Hopefully it's the next go around but I'm willing to bet we get another two years of it after this next season.

Legacy wanted to schedule us bad from the sounds of it. So who knows if that will continue.

I think Texas High is a fantastic scrimmage mate. Honestly would rather play them than Marshall in the real season, but that's not gonna happen so a scrimmage against Texarkana makes sense from an East Texas point of view.

We're always going to be out on an island. No one wants to come to Longview. It's just what it is.

I love the West Brook series being in Lufkin, even if it's just for this year (and next possibly). As for week 1 this coming season, who knows who we'll be able to get. Louisiana will be having their scrimmage week that first week of Texas football, so we can't get them unless someone switches things up for us. Marshall owes New Caney a trip down there, so they can't. Lufkin and Legacy will be playing each other so they're not switching. There's just not many options.

Funny enough, Southlake Carroll and Denton Ryan both have open weeks in the first week as far as we know going into 2021. So maybe that happens? That'd be a blast.

Longview Marshall have over 100 yrs of history, that ain't ending.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Ryan might wanna come but SLc ain’t coming to East Texas. Maybe a classic at Rangers stadium against DFw would be awesome. Longview is so much better than rest of East Texas 5a . 4a doesn’t make sense . 

Oh yea, either or would have to be in Metroplex

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

If you really want to improve your out of district schedule then Marshall game needs to go. 

Agreed. I'm all about tradition, but it doesn't really benefit either program.

Marshall seems like they're turning things around, and I would be open to renewing the rivalry later, but I think it would benefit from a hiatus for now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LOL said:

Agreed. I'm all about tradition, but it doesn't really benefit either program.

Marshall seems like they're turning things around, and I would be open to renewing the rivalry later, but I think it would benefit from a hiatus for now. 

Is the rivalry competitive in the other sports?

I’m not a Longview Alumni, but here is my two cents about the pre-district scheduling. 

The Scrimmage - A scrimmage is about you not about your opponent. This is a slot where I think it’s okay to play one of the “lesser” 5A schools that are close like Pine Tree or cough*Marshall*cough. Don’t spend 3 hours on a bus to get to a scrimmage if you don’t have to.

Pre District Game #1 - In my opinion one of the non district slots should go to which ever Tyler team in not in the district with you at the time. You don’t want to kill yourself with travel in August. 

Pre District Game #2 - I think Longview should play Lufkin every year. It also lessens the blow of not playing Marshall. 

Pre District Game #3,#4, and etc. - These are the games where Longview needs to play against 6A schools that are “more talented” than Longview. These are the games to push the team in order to make them grow for the playoff run in 5A. You have might to get creative by having “neutral” site games because I don’t think it’s enticing for a DFW or Houston school to play in Longview.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I’m not a Longview Alumni, but here is my two cents about the pre-district scheduling. 

The Scrimmage - A scrimmage is about you not about your opponent. This is a slot where I think it’s okay to play one of the “lesser” 5A schools that are close like Pine Tree or cough*Marshall*cough. Don’t spend 3 hours on a bus to get to a scrimmage if you don’t have to.

Pre District Game #1 - In my opinion one of the non district slots should go to which ever Tyler team in not in the district with you at the time. You don’t want to kill yourself with travel in August. 

Pre District Game #2 - I think Longview should play Lufkin every year. It also lessens the blow of not playing Marshall. 

Pre District Game #3,#4, and etc. - These are the games where Longview needs to play against 6A schools that are “more talented” than Longview. These are the games to push the team in order to make them grow for the playoff run in 5A. You have might to get creative by having “neutral” site games because I don’t think it’s enticing for a DFW or Houston school to play in Longview.

I agree with this with the exception of the Tyler schools.  I would only continue those if they are a worthy opponent.  The idea of a consistent neutral game site to get a good opponent would be wonderful.  I really think Longview could also go after the consistently good LA teams.  Most would do a home/home because the money for their program would be great.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I agree with this with the exception of the Tyler schools.  I would only continue those if they are a worthy opponent.  The idea of a consistent neutral game site to get a good opponent would be wonderful.  I really think Longview could also go after the consistently good LA teams.  Most would do a home/home because the money for their program would be great.

Only thing I hate about LA teams are the alignments.

Realignment doesnt align with Texas' realignments. So 2 year deals with the same team is hard. Look what happened with West Monroe...outside of covid we couldnt play em this year because they ended up in a bigger district and that left us scrambling for a game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

If it ain’t competitive who cares? Doesn’t do either team good. If Longview can give lufkin a break , a actual rivalry then Marshall should take place. Marshall could play JT if they want to play D1. 

I really don't care either way, but I doubt they would stop playing each other because some people think they should.

6 hours ago, ANTI said:

Realignment doesnt align with Texas' realignments. So 2 year deals with the same team is hard. Look what happened with West Monroe...outside of covid we couldnt play em this year because they ended up in a bigger district and that left us scrambling for a game.

Yeah. Also, would help if they would drop the Federation rules. 

7 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

I really don't care either way, but I doubt they would stop playing each other because some people think they should.

They should stopping because the last five years they've played the scoreline is 263-49, with 21 of those points coming this year in garbage time.

They should stopping playing because Longview has won 19 of the last 20 meetings, with 75% of them being over at halftime. It took Marshall's once in a generation team to knock us off, and even then, we lost because of our own stupid mistakes.

The sub varsity level is even worse. Longview hasn't lost to a Marshall JV or Freshmen squad in over 15 years.

It just doesn't make sense anymore, other than the $$. From what we know, neither head coach wanted to schedule the game either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingwolf said:

A meeting in Shreveport in Week 2 every year would be fun for sure. You know how King likes to get his boys into big stadiums early, as he's said in the past, to get ready for a playoff atmosphere. It's not a bad idea, especially since we know we like to schedule West Monroe. We've tried about 10 other years to schedule them before last season and just haven't been able to get things work.

8 hours ago, ANTI said:

That is changing. Due to Covid, Louisiana is not realigning in 2021. They will play under their current alignment and realign in 2022, which gets them in the same year with all of their border states. 

10 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Is the rivalry competitive in the other sports?

Funny thing, we don't even usually play in other sports. Before last season, we hadn't played Marshall in boys basketball (other than the two years we were in a district together) since 2011. Before last season with Girls Basketball, we hadn't played Marshall since 2013 other than those 2 years we were in a district together. Baseball the same, other than tournaments.

It's obviously more even in sports other than football, because Longview isn't a world beater in anything other than football. Baseball is the only series that Marshall leads any sport in against Longview still though.

• Like 1

Guest LoboAlum95

As far as the pre-district schedule, I would like to see a D/FW 6A-II team......Someone like a Denton Guyer or Cedar Hill......