Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

I defended Card in the first half. At the time, I didn’t think it was on him. However, I agree that you can’t continue to miss wide open deep passes. He missed two last week, and then back to back tonight. 
From the performance Casey had in the bowl game, 4th quarter last week, and then tonight, he should start against Rice. 

57 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

This team is not ready in the trenches to win this type of game. I would’ve liked to see more RPO quick passes early in the game when Arkansas was bringing the house on 1st and 2nd down, but I guess that wasn’t in the game plan. 

Gotta stick to the gameplan!!  Lol

So as far as the QB situation went, I didn't blame Texas with starting Card, or even sticking with him through half the game. When he missed wide open receivers down the field on back to back plays, I would have pulled him then. Not even necessarily because he missed those throws, but because the 3 man rush was leaving TONS of running room, and Card just isn't a quick enough runner to take advantage of that.

Immediately when Thompson came in the game, he started having success just because of that extra element. Thompson has the quickness to ate least make a defense throw extra defenders 1-10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Arkansas was rushing 3, and dropping back 10 yards. They could care less if you hit the underneath, because they were anticipating it.

O-line just got beat. They know it, we know it, Sark knows it. They will be hammered with film this week. I heard in post-game Sark spoke about the defense playing well early on, and I think he was right. Though you'd love for the Texas defense to pitch shutouts early, giving up 16 points in the first half with the offense in constant struggle, and short field most of the time, it's hard to ask for much more. They just got worn down. I heard Sark say 47 rush attempts, I counted 45, but either way it's still a ton, with 7 different players running the football. 

Some things that happened this game were just ridiculous though. J-Whitt dropping passes left and right. I'm not sure what has gotten into Dicker, but he's on the struggle bus right now. That deep snap on the punt... it's like he wasn't even watching it. What else are you supposed to be watching at that point? Kick was a long one, but one he should probably make. He's 1/3 at the moment. 

I'm not falling off the wagon. It's Sark's first season. I think he'll figure some things out, and quite frankly, I think Texas might have needed this game to figure out which QB was your actual starter. CT is just a leader, and it showed. Nothing against Card, because I think he'll be great, but I do think CT is the QB this team NEEDS at the moment. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Until the OL gets dominant, Texas won't see any real improvement. Also they desperately need someone to get after the QB.

This was where the biggest difference in Sarks gameplan at Texas was going to have to vary from his plan at Bama. Bama had first rounders at 8 of 11 starting positions of the offense in sarks two years their. 2 of the other 3 positions were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. He literally had a college football all star team to run his system at bama. At Texas he has a fraction of that type of talent. How will he adjust? 

Its going to take 2-3 recruiting cycles at minimum (and thats assuming he kills it each class) to build the type of talent at Texas that he had at bama. I am not sure thats realistic at this point. So what types of adjustments can he as a coach and play caller make to his system that fits what he has to work with. If he's building this in hopes of replicating Bama he's fighting a losing battle IMO. 

Just now, WETSU said:

This was where the biggest difference in Sarks gameplan at Texas was going to have to vary from his plan at Bama. Bama had first rounders at 8 of 11 starting positions of the offense in sarks two years their. 2 of the other 3 positions were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. He literally had a college football all star team to run his system at bama. At Texas he has a fraction of that type of talent. How will he adjust? 

Its going to take 2-3 recruiting cycles at minimum (and thats assuming he kills it each class) to build the type of talent at Texas that he had at bama. I am not sure thats realistic at this point. So what types of adjustments can he as a coach and play caller make to his system that fits what he has to work with. If he's building this in hopes of replicating Bama he's fighting a losing battle IMO. 

I think the transfer portal could accelerate things up front. But other than Robinson, they don't really have a threat on offense like he did at Bama.

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

So as far as the QB situation went, I didn't blame Texas with starting Card, or even sticking with him through half the game. When he missed wide open receivers down the field on back to back plays, I would have pulled him then. Not even necessarily because he missed those throws, but because the 3 man rush was leaving TONS of running room, and Card just isn't a quick enough runner to take advantage of that.

I saw the same thing. Card looked off fairly early on. It was obvious he just didn't have the mojo this week. Sark should've started Thompson after halftime if not sooner. 

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

If you removed the logos and colors from their helmets, it’s almost uncanny how similar the programs are for Texas and USC 

Thats because the entire city of Austin looks like southern California these days...

I know some might think its a stretch but I honestly thinking the university "going woke" is directly impacting the football program. 

52 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Thats because the entire city of Austin looks like southern California these days...

I know some might think its a stretch but I honestly thinking the university "going woke" is directly impacting the football program. 

I seriously doubt that the culture at UT compares to all the woketards at campuses in Cali.....end of story.  

54 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Your last paragraph is not a stretch. There are many who believe that Texas is not committed to winning from the top down. The demographics on the campus has changed and Texas, as a university, even though already academically challenging, is becoming more of a Stanford, Cal, Ivy League type of school that just happens to have a wealthy, older fan base that expects football to be better.

30 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I seriously doubt that the culture at UT compares to all the woketards at campuses in Cali.....end of story.  

Hmmm. I was a student there in the mid-to-late 80’s graduating in 1988. My daughter graduated from UT in 2014. There was a night and day difference between her campus and mine. My college roommate’s daughter will graduate from UT this coming May and her campus has changed some more even since my daughter graduated. 

The kids that can’t get into Texas are now going to A&M, Bama, LSU and the Mississippi schools.

Walk the campus and see for yourself and not to just what you see in the stadium on game day.

If you have hybrids playing LB, you better have 3 DTs(rotation) that are stout bulls who can win their battles more often than not…….or DTs in the Aaron Donald mold who get penetration most of the time………last night the DTs took blocks and got pushed around. 
And of course the O-line can not get a push. 

It still hurts. 

Another thing I forgot to add, was the lack of blocking by backs. I guarantee that will be something that's touched on this week. As good as Robinson is, I watched him fail to pickup blocks on multiple plays. 

I know a lot of people are making fun of Texas, saying "Welome to the SEC" and what not, but the truth is, this game would be tough for Texas either way. This is a very deep rooted rivalry that goes back a long time. Like the commentators said during the game - "These people hate Texas more than they like themselves," and that's a fact. Knowing as many Arkansas fans as I know, they talk more about Texas than they do their own team, so this only magnifies that lol. 

On 9/11/2021 at 8:58 PM, JustAFan11 said:

This team is not ready in the trenches to win this type of game. I would’ve liked to see more RPO quick passes early in the game when Arkansas was bringing the house on 1st and 2nd down, but I guess that wasn’t in the game plan. 

I kept looking for this adjustment all game. Ark loaded the box on predominant running downs and dropped on passing downs. We did not mix it up enough to get them to play honest up front on defense. We our not ready up front just to line up and force are will on someone. Still a few recruiting classes and developing players away from being able to get there. I am still not going to panic on this Coaching staff after just one game though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, WETSU said:

15 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Your last paragraph is not a stretch. There are many who believe that Texas is not committed to winning from the top down. The demographics on the campus has changed and Texas, as a university, even though already academically challenging, is becoming more of a Stanford, Cal, Ivy League type of school that just happens to have a wealthy, older fan base that expects football to be better.

Not a stretch by any means, Wet. I agree. @Hookemhorns88 stole my thoughts exactly.

Just now, H3llR4z0r said:

Casey Thompson played for a little over 1 quarter, and is tied for must touchdowns on the team (3). 

Until Texas is "better" than everyone they play up front, you need the playmaker at QB.  And IMO that is Thompson.

12 minutes ago, 514 said:

I kept looking for this adjustment all game. Ark loaded the box on predominant running downs and dropped on passing downs. We did not mix it up enough to get them to play honest up front on defense. We our not ready up front just to line up and force are will on someone. Still a few recruiting classes and developing players away from being able to get there. I am still not going to panic on this Coaching staff after just one game though.

You're right. Waiting too late to add the QB with legs was a problem too. He immediately started causing problems for the defense.

I'm in no way panicing either. This will probably be the worst loss Sark could think of having at UT, but I do think they will get everything together. 

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

Until Texas is "better" than everyone they play up front, you need the playmaker at QB.  And IMO that is Thompson.

I agree. I think Card will do great things. I think he's got a great arm, but he is still young, and inexperienced. Thompson hasn't had a lot of playing time, but he's no stranger to hostile environments, and he is dangerous with his legs. 

1 hour ago, LOL said:

The good news is that if you start Thompson now, you can save Card for the Red River Shootout, where he'll no doubt come off the bench to throw five touchdown passes. 

What times kickoff? I need to make sure to time it where we’ve already hit the fair before the halftime departure starts. 😂

• Mr. P locked this topic