Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

30 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

They didn’t forget Bijan. OKSt didn’t respect Thompson as a passer. They weren’t scared of him beating them.
He had 26 passing yards in the second half. It’s easy for a defense to stop Bijan when the QB can’t make plays. 

Say what you want about play calling but Thompson is holding the offense back. 

Bijan had 5 carries in the second half. Yes, they forgot about him.

I agree with your assessment of Casey, but it’s also easy for a defense to stop Bijan when he doesn’t have the ball. 

• Thanks 1

You guys are all missing the big picture here. Thompson folded after his pick 6. He had 25 passing yards after his pick 6. I don’t care how good Bijan is, if the defense isn’t scared of the QB beating them it becomes a lot easier to stop the run. 

The defense did their job for 3 quarters of the game and again was left on the field way too long in the second half.

Thompson was terrible and this one is 100% on him. He replaced Card because he brought juice to the offense. Well today he brought nothing to the offense. He folded in the biggest game. 

Didn't catch this game, but looking solely at the boxscore: 

Robinson: 21att 135yds (6.4 avg) 2tds

There's absolutely no reason for this guy to have under 30 carries. I don't care how many guys Okie State put in the box. 

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

Didn't catch this game, but looking solely at the boxscore: 

Robinson: 21att 135yds (6.4 avg) 2tds

There's absolutely no reason for this guy to have under 30 carries. I don't care how many guys Okie State put in the box. 

It’s like A&M with Calzada/Spiller/Achane. You put the ball in the hands of your playmaker(s) and not on the shoulders of your struggling QB. Bijan is your best player. He’s your offense. Run him on 1,2,3 down. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

It’s like A&M with Calzada/Spiller/Achane. You put the ball in the hands of your playmaker(s) and not on the shoulders of your struggling QB. Bijan is your best player. He’s your offense. Run him on 1,2,3 down. 

Right? I mean, I'd rather run Robinson 35 times a game and accept the outcome instead of putting the offense on Thompson. 

• Thanks 1

Will we be in the market for a oline and Qb this next offseason? Someone that sark has recruited before?  These guys are not his guys.

How do we not get both Robinson involved in the passing game in the 2nd half. Both are nightmares in a one on one Situation…  Sark Oline goes ghosts mode and sark play calling goes out the window…  Go back watch the game multiple times Robinson is one on one out the back field and Casey don’t even think twice to get it to him… He would rather take the sack.. It’s crazy..

49 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

They didn’t forget Bijan. OKSt didn’t respect Thompson as a passer. They weren’t scared of him beating them.
He had 26 passing yards in the second half. It’s easy for a defense to stop Bijan when the QB can’t make plays. 

Say what you want about play calling but Thompson is holding the offense back. 

Sark has said multiple times….”we are a run first team”.  Then why isn’t he running the ball with the best back in the country 30 times a game????  Surely he didn’t listen to what Gary Fatterson said….   When he’s the focus of the play calling, Thompson looks just fine.  First half for example, this and last week.  Gundy didn’t mind using his back.  

I personally think we are seeing why Card was named the starter out of fall camp. Thompson looked good initially…but I don’t think he is any better right now than he was  a month ago. I really think Sarkisian thought Arkansas was going to go better than it did, and Card would’ve been able to ride out any storms before getting to this current stretch. But the Arkansas fiasco was so bad and Card was never able to flip the mojo that game that Sark was almost forced to try Thompson. And then when he lit it up, you had to roll with him. 

To me the big turning point came at 3rd and 9 at the 20 something yd line with 5:32 left in the first half. Leading 17-3 in FG range you throw that ball when you know they are going to drop 8 and the field is more condensed. Run a draw or screen pass, anything but that stupid Int for a TD. Halftime should have been no worse than 20-6 the way the defense was playing the first half, Instead it was 17-13 at halftime.  For the 3rd game in a row we got out played or out coached in the 2nd half . We hung for the win in the TCU game. Was not fortunate in the last 2. We will lose one or 2 more games if this don't improve. West Virginia , Iowa St play something close to that 3-3-5 defense and  will drop 8 most of the time on 3rd and 6 + yds.

• Like 1

Either DCs are figuring out Sark each week in the middle of the game or the other teams are in better shape than Texas - night and day first 25 to 30 minutes in the game and thereafter. 
And at some point, Texas has to find some CBs who don’t have to start the play 9 or 10 yards off the ball when out on an island.  

9 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Either DCs are figuring out Sark each week in the middle of the game or the other teams are in better shape than Texas - night and day first 25 to 30 minutes in the game and thereafter. 
And at some point, Texas has to find some CBs who don’t have to start the play 9 or 10 yards off the ball when out on an island.  

I think Sark goes a little too conservative in the 3rd with a decent lead.  OL issues rear their ugly head when the defense knows what’s coming.  When he’s stretching the field some his offense is good, but ok state was playing close to the line on 3rd downs.  They were daring them to throw deep.  

The entire defensive backfield is proving to be liabilities.  Thompson gave up too many easy pitch and catches uncontested for first downs.  Jameson gets lost on deep balls.  BJ Foster tried to quit the team once, maybe they should’ve let him.  Schooler makes You long for the return of Dylan Haines. 

im ready to see a true 4 man front.  Not 2 DT and two hybrid Linebacker ends.  Collins immediately impacted the game at DE.  Get another DE like him on the other end and go with it.  6 and 46 are typically neutralized by a TE or chip block from a RB.  

lots to fix with this team, but now is the time to start playing some younger guys to see if they can get it done 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I think Sark goes a little too conservative in the 3rd with a decent lead.  OL issues rear their ugly head when the defense knows what’s coming.  When he’s stretching the field some his offense is good, but ok state was playing close to the line on 3rd downs.  They were daring them to throw deep.  

The entire defensive backfield is proving to be liabilities.  Thompson gave up too many easy pitch and catches uncontested for first downs.  Jameson gets lost on deep balls.  BJ Foster tried to quit the team once, maybe they should’ve let him.  Schooler makes You long for the return of Dylan Haines. 

im ready to see a true 4 man front.  Not 2 DT and two hybrid Linebacker ends.  Collins immediately impacted the game at DE.  Get another DE like him on the other end and go with it.  6 and 46 are typically neutralized by a TE or chip block from a RB.  

lots to fix with this team, but now is the time to start playing some younger guys to see if they can get it done 

Would you want them to throw Sanders out there and see what he can do at the other D-end spot? 
The way I look at it. If we redshirt him and he lives up to the hype and leaves after two years then we might well should play him now. Sanders was #1 ath 5* Dend slash tightend.  He’s totally different from the dends we have out there. He looks like myles garrett type! 

2 hours ago, bigj said:

Would you want them to throw Sanders out there and see what he can do at the other D-end spot? 
The way I look at it. If we redshirt him and he lives up to the hype and leaves after two years then we might well should play him now. Sanders was #1 ath 5* Dend slash tightend.  He’s totally different from the dends we have out there. He looks like myles garrett type! 

Having bookends like Sergio kindle and Brian Orakpo is how you pressure a qb.  230lb LBs taking on OTs ain’t working, without a blitz mixed in.  

I'm not sure which issue is bigger, Casey's inability to overcome crucial mistakes, or Texas' O-line in general. 

Once Casey threw that pick 6, he was rattled. OSU absolutely loaded the box and dared him to throw the ball. Texas DID use Bijan in the 2nd half. 

After the 38 yard TD, Bijan had 6 more rushes for 15 yards. That may not sound like much, but Texas only ran 17 offensive plays after that point. 4 straight 3 and outs, all of which Bijan got touches in. Bijan's longest rush after the 38 yard run, was came with 4:24 left in the 4th, and it was a 9 yard run. 17 plays for 14 yards. Texas lost an offensive lineman in the mix, and that even made it worse. Texas has next to no depth or talent on the O-line. Every time someone goes down, they have to shift every position. Listening to Sark in postgame, it sounds like they're doing everything they can with what they have to work with, because there's next to no depth.

Defense gave wind in the 2nd half, but I hardly blame them. OSU had the ball for something like 70% of the 2nd half. 4 straight 3 and outs. Keep in mind, the defense didn't give up a touchdown until the beginning of the 4th quarter. They did commit a couple of drive saving penalties (1 of which was nonsense), but ultimately they kept OSU from scoring TDs for a large portion of the game. They forced 6 punts on 13 drives. Overshown getting hurt didn't do us any favors either. 

Ultimately, I feel like the end of the game falls primarily on poor play at the QB position. Sark made multiple comments post-game that they just could not get over the negative plays. He never named the QB, but I don't expect him to. Thompson made some bad reads and even worse decisions with the ball. He lacked any awareness and took several unnecessary sacks.  The pick 6 was a 10 point swing. Texas was fixing to score, with OSU on their heals. At the worst, they would have come out with a field goal. Going back and watching, the guy was coming across reading the QB the entire play. How Thompson didn't see him, I'm not sure. Thompson didn't even give the play time to develop really. 

Let me make this clear as well, if you want to point the blame at not getting Bijan involved, don't necessarily blame the coaching staff. NUMEROUS times I saw Bijan wide open (including on the last INT that Thompson threw). Thompson is NOT getting through his reads, or at least he wasn't Saturday. You go back and watch the game again,  you'll see Bijan open A LOT. The only time Thompson really ever saw him was on the touchdown play. It was there almost the entire game. Here's a pic of the last offensive play. 

image.png

• Like 2

To add some perspective to the O-line situation -

LT - Christian Jones RS(JR) - 3* 6'6 327
LG - Junior Angilau RS (JR) - 4* 6'6 316 
OC - Jake Majors RS (FR) - 4* 6'3 300
RG - Tope Imade RS (SR) - 3* 6'6 358
RT - Derek Kerstetter (SR) - 3* 6'5 300

Texas has 4 more linemen backing them up... that's it. 3 (FR) and 1 (JR). 

OU has straight 4* recruits across the board, being backed up by JRs and SRs, who are then backed up by under classmen. In fact, other than a couple of walk-ons and grad transfers that there's no info on, they don't have a O-line recruit lower than a 4*. 

Texas has limited talent at O-line, and no depth. To be honest, I'm surprised they've been performing as well as they have been. Texas DESPERATELY needs a good o-line class, or some good transfers. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I'm not sure which issue is bigger, Casey's inability to overcome crucial mistakes, or Texas' O-line in general. 

Once Casey threw that pick 6, he was rattled. OSU absolutely loaded the box and dared him to throw the ball. Texas DID use Bijan in the 2nd half. 

After the 38 yard TD, Bijan had 6 more rushes for 15 yards. That may not sound like much, but Texas only ran 17 offensive plays after that point. 4 straight 3 and outs, all of which Bijan got touches in. Bijan's longest rush after the 38 yard run, was came with 4:24 left in the 4th, and it was a 9 yard run. 17 plays for 14 yards. Texas lost an offensive lineman in the mix, and that even made it worse. Texas has next to no depth or talent on the O-line. Every time someone goes down, they have to shift every position. Listening to Sark in postgame, it sounds like they're doing everything they can with what they have to work with, because there's next to no depth.

Defense gave wind in the 2nd half, but I hardly blame them. OSU had the ball for something like 70% of the 2nd half. 4 straight 3 and outs. Keep in mind, the defense didn't give up a touchdown until the beginning of the 4th quarter. They did commit a couple of drive saving penalties (1 of which was nonsense), but ultimately they kept OSU from scoring TDs for a large portion of the game. They forced 6 punts on 13 drives. Overshown getting hurt didn't do us any favors either. 

Ultimately, I feel like the end of the game falls primarily on poor play at the QB position. Sark made multiple comments post-game that they just could not get over the negative plays. He never named the QB, but I don't expect him to. Thompson made some bad reads and even worse decisions with the ball. He lacked any awareness and took several unnecessary sacks.  The pick 6 was a 10 point swing. Texas was fixing to score, with OSU on their heals. At the worst, they would have come out with a field goal. Going back and watching, the guy was coming across reading the QB the entire play. How Thompson didn't see him, I'm not sure. Thompson didn't even give the play time to develop really. 

Let me make this clear as well, if you want to point the blame at not getting Bijan involved, don't necessarily blame the coaching staff. NUMEROUS times I saw Bijan wide open (including on the last INT that Thompson threw). Thompson is NOT getting through his reads, or at least he wasn't Saturday. You go back and watch the game again,  you'll see Bijan open A LOT. The only time Thompson really ever saw him was on the touchdown play. It was there almost the entire game. Here's a pic of the last offensive play. 

image.png

I scream at the tv every game check it down to Bijan how is he not your number one target when you get in trouble how is sark not making more Situations out of the backfield with him one on one… He should easily have 150 game from catching out the back field…

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bigj said:

I scream at the tv every game check it down to Bijan how is he not your number one target when you get in trouble how is sark not making more Situations out of the backfield with him one on one… He should easily have 150 game from catching out the back field…

Those were some wide open check downs too. Bijan has a ton of space down there. Make them stop it. Part of having an athlete like Bijan on the field is the defense having to put so much focus in stopping one player. 

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P locked this topic