Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

5 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas HC said at his PC this morning that the Horns would be without RB Bijan Robinson (dislocated elbow) and DB Josh Thompson (fractured fibula) for the remainder of the year. 

I didn't see that injury during the game... but if true, that is a painful and disturbing looking injury.  It looks nasty and not something that an Athletic Trainer typically resets... too many nerves that run through that joint.  Also runs the possibility of a UCL tear which normally results in Tommy John surgery... also a nice 7-9 month recovery there.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:I just meant that the Texas fan base as a whole has some serious entitlement issues and I do believe that's why the program has culture issues. 

Every school has entitlement issues, including A&M. I feel that the wokeness issues get amplified in Austin as evidenced by the Eyes debate which has had a divisive impact throughout the campus, exes, and fan base. I really do not want to bring A&M into the issues occurring in the Texas program. However image if the athletes at A&M viewed “Sully” as a symbol of a tarnished past and demanded its removal.  What would the impact on the “culture” of A&M and ensuing debates dividing the team(s) and the fan base? Given the “conservative” nature of A&M, I submit the reaction would be more intense in Aggieland. 

3 minutes ago, bordertown said:

Every school has entitlement issues, including A&M. I feel that the wokeness issues get amplified in Austin as evidenced by the Eyes debate which has had a divisive impact throughout the campus, exes, and fan base. I really do not want to bring A&M into the issues occurring in the Texas program. However image if the athletes at A&M viewed “Sully” as a symbol of a tarnished past and demanded its removal.  What would the impact on the “culture” of A&M and ensuing debates dividing the team(s) and the fan base? Given the “conservative” nature of A&M, I submit the reaction would be more intense in Aggieland. 

It's already started. They're just a little behind UT, which is to be expected. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but Texas does draw students from around the globe, and has for some time. Sully has already been defaced recently, probably more than once. 

10 minutes ago, bordertown said:

That thing with Sully has already come and gone. Some players stepped up to it but the good of the team was more important than them trying to rewrite the history of Texas A&M. 

Just now, H3llR4z0r said:

Man, was losing Ehlinger bad for the program or what? It's like he took the entire team's heart and will to win with him. 

Is it possible that his will-to-win masked some of the issues that are becoming more apparent this season? 

• Like 2

Just now, H3llR4z0r said:

Man, was losing Ehlinger bad for the program or what? It's like he took the entire team's heart and will to win with him. 

Even as an Aggie I appreciated the hell out of Sam. Its so refreshing to see that much dedication to the school in today's era of football. You'll see kids commit to the rival of their childhood favorite simply because one offers more "me" opportunities. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

Is it possible that his will-to-win masked some of the issues that are becoming more apparent this season? 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Even as an Aggie I appreciated the hell out of Sam. Its so refreshing to see that much dedication to the school in today's era of football. You'll see kids commit to the rival of their childhood favorite simply because one offers more "me" opportunities. 

I think you're exactly right @LOL. Having a QB like him, regardless of how talented he is, does wonders for the program. You can't count on your hand how many times he sold out and sacrificed his body for a play. The beatings he took in games. You never could count him out. I'm not saying he was the best QB by any means, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more dedicated player on any team.

All the people that were eagerly waiting his departure for the "next big thing," and those that said in the bowl game that Casey was going to be such a better QB are all eating those words now. That boy had heart. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

You're looking at this like an isolated issue with THIS team. You're looking at a surface issue. The real issue is much deeper and it covers more what myself and others have been saying. Its a problem with the culture at Texas. Not sarks culture, Texas culture. 

Had Texas not lost to OU, I don’t think they’d be 4-6 right now. Sometimes issues don’t rear their ugly head until they see adversity.  Losing that game I believe broke some of these players.  This team is not void of talent, but there’s a lot of mentally weak players I think.  They lack toughness and grit.  There shouldn’t be an OC in the country that could block Coburn, but he’s easily whipped play after play.  I think Sark has seen that DC Coach K is very inept and installing a defense when what he knows doesn’t work.  He’s not good at adjusting, much like Todd Orlando.  I think Chris Ash should’ve been retained and allowed that side of the ball to continue on the progress made.  Under K, players are playing in the wrong spot, tackling has been poor and in games they have been asked to perform schemes that don’t fit the abilities of the players.  You’ve got two corners that can play press coverage, but they’re constantly being asked to give 8-9 yards of cushion.  Overshown would be a safety in the SEC, Texas is playing him at LB.  he gets blocked head on too often, but shows great speed to the sidelines.  Brockermeyer is a legacy, but a still a walk-on talent.  He should not see the field at Texas.  Schooler is atrocious, and makes people think wonderfully when remembering Dylan Haines.  3 man fronts don’t get pressure unless you have All American types occupying those spots.  Average joes that don’t care get singled up allowing the correct pickup of blitzes.  All of this has left doubt creep in lots of the players.  Adversity has greatly increased that doubt.  Now you see what it has spiraled into.  

I honestly believe Texas would be 6-4/7-3 under Tom Herman.  His teams played physical and did not quit. 

is there a long-standing culture of softness?  Sure, to a certain degree.  This could’ve been the year to turn it around, but it has snowballed.  

think back, I didn’t really like the sark hire.  I was very pessimistic about it, but was willing to see how it unfolded.    He has created this apathy IMO.  The team that beat Colorado in the bowl game is long gone.  This spiral started this year, not last year.  Can sark stop it???  My guess is probably not

• Like 1

I would argue that Sark is not to blame. I believe, and I've iterated this several times now, this program has a culture of mentally weak players, and it dates back to the latter years of Mack. Is Strong to blame? Herman? Sure, to an extent I guess, but ultimately falls on the players needing to realize that just because they are at Texas doesn't make them some hero. Strong and Herman both could not develop the talent they recruited. Both had guys leave the program when they got there due to being unhappy with the change. Similar to Sark, I didn't blame them after year one, but failing to develop these players and have them buy in to what they are trying to sell is the glaring issue. Do they have talent? Absolutely. But it's high school evaluated talent that doesn't get developed to its full potential because guys care more about their NIL money or what their Instagram looks like instead of producing on the field. Point blank. I have hopes for Sark and his staff (PK and monkey lover can kick rocks though). And the Bo Davis video showed us that Sark and staff are trying to get these guys to buy in, and if they can't, he will risk losing half the team because he knows having a full team that gives half TobinFrost effort is worth much less to him than having half a team wanting to buy in.

In regards to Sam, I believe Ehlinger masked a lot of issues inside that locker room because of his passion and willingness to lay it all on the line for the University. I really don't think people realize the value Sam brought to this program just as a leader.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I would argue that Sark is not to blame. I believe, and I've iterated this several times now, this program has a culture of mentally weak players, and it dates back to the latter years of Mack. Is Strong to blame? Herman? Sure, to an extent I guess, but ultimately falls on the players needing to realize that just because they are at Texas doesn't make them some hero. Strong and Herman both could not develop the talent they recruited. Both had guys leave the program when they got there due to being unhappy with the change. Similar to Sark, I didn't blame them after year one, but failing to develop these players and have them buy in to what they are trying to sell is the glaring issue. Do they have talent? Absolutely. But it's high school evaluated talent that doesn't get developed to its full potential because guys care more about their NIL money or what their Instagram looks like instead of producing on the field. Point blank. I have hopes for Sark and his staff (PK and monkey lover can kick rocks though). And the Bo Davis video showed us that Sark and staff are trying to get these guys to buy in, and if they can't, he will risk losing half the team because he knows having a full team that gives half TobinFrost effort is worth much less to him than having half a team wanting to buy in.

In regards to Sam, I believe Ehlinger masked a lot of issues inside that locker room because of his passion and willingness to lay it all on the line for the University. I really don't think people realize the value Sam brought to this program just as a leader.

First off, sark is the HC and the entire program is his responsibility.  Secondly, he is the offensive play caller and went ultra conservative and cost  Texas the OU game for sure.  He knew his OL could not do what he was trying to do that second half and he wasted the entire 3rd quarter trying it.  That game started the snowball.  Then in games where they were having success running he went away from Bijan.  So yes, it falls on him…..this year.  If he were sitting 8-2 nobody would be saying anything about players quitting, Bo Davis video prolly never happens, etc…

back to whoever said this wasn’t a “this year” problem to me is mostly wrong. 

• Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

First off, sark is the HC and the entire program is his responsibility.  Secondly, he is the offensive play caller and went ultra conservative and cost  Texas the OU game for sure.  He knew his OL could not do what he was trying to do that second half and he wasted the entire 3rd quarter trying it.  That game started the snowball.  Then in games where they were having success running he went away from Bijan.  So yes, it falls on him…..this year.  If he were sitting 8-2 nobody would be saying anything about players quitting, Bo Davis video prolly never happens, etc…

back to whoever said this wasn’t a “this year” problem to me is mostly wrong. 

Nah I can’t agree with this. This is the 3rd coach and this program is still the same from when Strong took over. Remember just 2 years ago with a Jr Ehlinger, Texas beat Kansas 50-48 at home. 

I definitely thought Sark would come in and have the offense rolling from day 1. I do think Ehlinger masked a lot of the Oline issues and the team misses his leadership in a big way. 

Has Sark made some bad decisions, yeah. He is learning this team just like they are learning his staff and playbook. At this point no one is coming into this program and winning 10 games right now. I’ll be interested to see what this roster looks like in June. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Nah I can’t agree with this. This is the 3rd coach and this program is still the same from when Strong took over. Remember just 2 years ago with a Jr Ehlinger, Texas beat Kansas 50-48 at home. 

I definitely thought Sark would come in and have the offense rolling from day 1. I do think Ehlinger masked a lot of the Oline issues and the team misses his leadership in a big way. 

Has Sark made some bad decisions, yeah. He is learning this team just like they are learning his staff and playbook. At this point no one is coming into this program and winning 10 games right now. I’ll be interested to see what this roster looks like in June. 

At halftime of the OU game, I told my bnl that Texas might hang 75 on OU if they came out aggressive after the half.  They didn’t and it cost them.  

I do remember Ehlinger’s junior year, he had Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay to mask all his bad throws and bail him out.  Herman was also hellbent on the running game going through the QB, with an average OL.  The biggest issue at Texas dating back to Mack Brown has OL play and OL development, offensively.  Next would be QB play/development.   

so Texas overlooks Kansas regularly.  Is that not on the HC to have his team focused?

i never anticipated 10 wins either. But I didn’t expect to be 4-6 either

15 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Historically, Sark has been a mentally weak head coach... 

4 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

What in the ache eee double hockey sticks kinda question is that

The only thing I gathered from it was some reporter is wanting a favor. I mean I can't imagine what else would bring him to almost worshipping Sark and his staff. 

The weirdest thing to me is that I expected Sark to be getting blasted by the media for this seasons results but instead its been the opposite for the most part. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The only thing I gathered from it was some reporter is wanting a favor. I mean I can't imagine what else would bring him to almost worshipping Sark and his staff. 

The weirdest thing to me is that I expected Sark to be getting blasted by the media for this seasons results but instead its been the opposite for the most part. 

It reminded me of this

• LOL! 2

• Mr. P locked this topic