Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Did you know that Texas is ranked 103rd out of 130ish schools in total defense?  Let that sink in for a moment.

I honestly think this has to do with his offensive philosophy. It doesn't do the defense any favors when they're back on the field because the offense is "all gas, no breaks" all the time. They gave up so much to Kansas because they kept turning the ball over and giving Kansas more snaps on offense. Also, offenses in the Big XII are pretty prolific.

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I honestly think this has to do with his offensive philosophy. It doesn't do the defense any favors when they're back on the field because the offense is "all gas, no breaks" all the time. 

I thought the "no brakes" part was about the defense not being able to slow anyone down... Makes sense, no?

22 hours ago, WETSU said:

You're looking at this like an isolated issue with THIS team. You're looking at a surface issue. The real issue is much deeper and it covers more what myself and others have been saying. Its a problem with the culture at Texas. Not sarks culture, Texas culture. 

anybody that doesn't like UT (any big fan/alumni of an A&M or OU) and has an interest in throwing stones will point to "university culture"...granola and weed...entitlement on the athletic side of things, but that's from having a long history of success and an expectation that the teams should win. if you're an A&M student, you probably have a less "city" mentality than the Texas student...just by looking at Bryan/College Station and then metro Austin. there are major differences...starting at an immense size difference, which not only brings opportunity for good, but sometimes negative influence. A&M has had long streaks of time where they have struggled and when that's happened...would people have said..."well they couldn't find enough guys that wanted to be farmers, ranchers, and vets that were good ball players, or wanted to live "in the sticks"...it's culture? it's useless to constantly say, "it's culture"...with work, a great coach/staff can change a culture though with the ease of the portal and the constant roster turnover, it could be even more challenging to get those quality guys to stay and work to mentor and herd the young guys in the correct direction. it's hard to isolate your team from the rest of the university, but that would be the job. one way or another...you get top talent to sign and other top talent will want to come too. enough of those guys "hit" at the same time and you get something special. then you can start stacking special seasons together...

many of the same folks that constantly throw this stone at Texas want to "lightly" turn it political...Austin = woke, anti-conservative, dirty, backwards, arrogant...College Station = conservative, enlightened, clean, accepting/kind (what a joke), hard working...these are described the same as those same people would point towards their political party. it can be dumb...

universities and teams are made up of people that can work together and become something together.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PelvisPresley said:

anybody that doesn't like UT (any big fan/alumni of an A&M or OU) and has an interest in throwing stones will point to "university culture"...granola and weed...entitlement on the athletic side of things, but that's from having a long history of success and an expectation that the teams should win. if you're an A&M student, you probably have a less "city" mentality than the Texas student...just by looking at Bryan/College Station and then metro Austin. there are major differences...starting at an immense size difference, which not only brings opportunity for good, but sometimes negative influence. A&M has had long streaks of time where they have struggled and when that's happened...would people have said..."well they couldn't find enough guys that wanted to be farmers, ranchers, and vets that were good ball players, or wanted to live "in the sticks"...it's culture? it's useless to constantly say, "it's culture"...with work, a great coach/staff can change a culture though with the ease of the portal and the constant roster turnover, it could be even more challenging to get those quality guys to stay and work to mentor and herd the young guys in the correct direction. it's hard to isolate your team from the rest of the university, but that would be the job. one way or another...you get top talent to sign and other top talent will want to come too. enough of those guys "hit" at the same time and you get something special. then you can start stacking special seasons together...

many of the same folks that constantly throw this stone at Texas want to "lightly" turn it political...Austin = woke, anti-conservative, dirty, backwards, arrogant...College Station = conservative, enlightened, clean, accepting/kind (what a joke), hard working...these are described the same as those same people would point towards their political party. it can be dumb...

universities and teams are made up of people that can work together and become something together.  

This is just wildly inaccurate to what myself and some others are saying about culture. 

The culture im talking about is not about what's going on in the city politically. What im talking about is EXACTLY the type of mentality you have. You act like the entitlement issues are because of success. Lots of programs have had success and don't have the types of issues that Texas has had. And the reason is because at Alabama nobody cares what the team did 3 years ago. Alabama fans are wanting to fire coaches in a year they are 9-1 and ranked number 2... LSU just fired a HC TWO YEARS removed from a natty.  Texas fans will literally take criticism and turn it around to talk about their prior success and then compare it to the lack of from other teams... Do you see the difference in how different cultures view their teams and programs? I mean look at the above interview question as example. Your longhorn media is ready to annoint this staff as the second coming on the heals of a loss to kansas... 

My reference is to culture is that a large majority of Texas fans and texas media, despite a decade of mediocrity and embarrassing losses, have still yet to realize that their believe that just because they were once good means they will return to greatness. And its the reason why they haven't yet. That type of attitude bleeds into the program regardless of HC. Its very hard to get that out of your team when they grow up hearing it from their community and hearing about it from media and then step on campus and its the same thing year after year... 

18 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is just wildly inaccurate to what myself and some others are saying about culture. 

The culture im talking about is not about what's going on in the city politically.

I mean look at the above interview question as example. Your longhorn media is ready to annoint this staff as the second coming on the heals of a loss to kansas... 

Do you not think that it's some of the "politically motivated", from the town at large that started the non-sense about the song last year and as it bubbled and festered into a mess at UT as a whole it infiltrated the athletic program finally. It did! That's exactly where most of the mess comes from usually.

"Longhorn Media"...wow, that guy didn't have a clue...and seemed to be a nobody that got in and hit him with that...as Sark looked perplexed. 

2 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

Do you not think that it's some of the "politically motivated", from the town at large that started the non-sense about the song last year and as it bubbled and festered into a mess at UT as a whole it infiltrated the athletic program finally. It did! That's exactly where most of the mess comes from usually.

"Longhorn Media"...wow, that guy didn't have a clue...and seemed to be a nobody that got in and hit him with that...as Sark looked perplexed. 

I do believe that it played a role on the Eyes thing, but I do not think thats the issue here. There are similar issues throughout 10 years and 4 different staffs. Thats not really related for the political atmosphere in Austin IMO. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I honestly think this has to do with his offensive philosophy. It doesn't do the defense any favors when they're back on the field because the offense is "all gas, no breaks" all the time. They gave up so much to Kansas because they kept turning the ball over and giving Kansas more snaps on offense. Also, offenses in the Big XII are pretty prolific.

If your defense can’t get stops, you better push the gas pedal.  That’s what cost them against OU

On 11/15/2021 at 3:11 PM, DB2point0 said:

There’s no doubt he was a leader, but Texas lost several games because of him as well.  

I'm going to say they lost games they would have probably never been in had he not been there. Things to not forget - what was before, and after him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

This makes much more sense. 

Amen to this. Hard to change a culture with players who do not want to change or try to fake they are changing till poop hits the fan then they show their true colors again. Anybody who thought this was a one year fix was crazy. Like I said in another post all Sark saw was talent on the roster, the eye test everybody talks about, but when things got tough the real problems has rear it ugly head and I'm just waiting to see if he deals with it. The above tweet is one way to start dealing with it. The process make take longer than doing it with the players that are here, but if the players that are   here don't want to buy in and put in the work and time and really care if they lose or win then they need to be told to hit the portal, regardless of the # of stars next to their names when they got here.

56 minutes ago, Stoney said:

This makes much more sense. 

Texas needs to overhaul the defense... and it may literally just be scheme that needs to change.

You have the RB, you have WRs, and on paper you have 2 capable D1 QBs that just need a little more time to grow...  

I honestly think that the problem IS THE COACHING.  Sure, players quit on the team, quit on themselves, etc... but that can also be traced directly back to the coaching staff.  Losing to Kansas is unacceptable... You were down almost 30 to a team who lost to Duke and Coastal Carolina!  Texas is better than that.  They were outschemed, outcoached, and out-motivated....  Sark didn't earn this job.  It was a bad hire.  And you will likely have to suffer through it for 2 more years.

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Texas needs to overhaul the defense... and it may literally just be scheme that needs to change.

You have the RB, you have WRs, and on paper you have 2 capable D1 QBs that just need a little more time to grow...  

I honestly think that the problem IS THE COACHING.  Sure, players quit on the team, quit on themselves, etc... but that can also be traced directly back to the coaching staff.  Losing to Kansas is unacceptable... You were down almost 30 to a team who lost to Duke and Coastal Carolina!  Texas is better than that.  They were outschemed, outcoached, and out-motivated....  Sark didn't earn this job.  It was a bad hire.  And you will likely have to suffer through it for 2 more years.

I believe they have 6 DL recruits committed.  That’s a message to the guys on roster.  I’m still in wait and see mode.  Coaches can grow and learn from their mistakes.  Year two will tell if sark does

Just now, DB2point0 said:

I believe they have 6 DL recruits committed.  That’s a message to the guys on roster.  I’m still in wait and see mode.  Coaches can grow and learn from their mistakes.  Year two will tell if sark does

Huge. 

I remember Jimbo's first year when we were loading up on DBs. It's pretty clear to the coaches there their weak points are. I think Sark knows and it working on it. 

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

He should learn and grow right now.  The next 2 games, he could line up with a high school game plan and beat a defense with his offensive talent.  Texas should be able to finish out this season 6-6 with wins over WVU and K State.  I wish I could say the same about LSU.

The Kansas loss is the biggest teller of how weak of a HC he is right now... Matter of fact, I will say the entire staff is weak.  Sark doesn't call all of the plays etc.  His job is to make sure everyone has done what is needed to be ready for that game. 

Losing to OU, Baylor, Okie State, and even Iowa State are acceptable THIS YEAR considering how those teams look.  Losing the next 2 or even one of the next 2, will leave the Longhorn fans and players excited about absolutely nothing going into 2022-23.

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

He should learn and grow right now.  The next 2 games, he could line up with a high school game plan and beat a defense with his offensive talent.  Texas should be able to finish out this season 6-6 with wins over WVU and K State.  I wish I could say the same about LSU.

The Kansas loss is the biggest teller of how weak of a HC he is right now... Matter of fact, I will say the entire staff is weak.  Sark doesn't call all of the plays etc.  His job is to make sure everyone has done what is needed to be ready for that game. 

Losing to OU, Baylor, Okie State, and even Iowa State are acceptable THIS YEAR considering how those teams look.  Losing the next 2 or even one of the next 2, will leave the Longhorn fans and players excited about absolutely nothing going into 2022-23.

I can’t argue about finishing 6-6, Texas should.  They should’ve finished 8-4, but sark didn’t help himself.  At times, the looked like a genius calling plays around a weak OL, other times he looked rather dumb.  

it’s been said here that his offense strikes too fast and kills his defense.  That wasn’t always the case this year. There were instances where they drove several plays and scored.  

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 6:21 PM, DB2point0 said:

First off, sark is the HC and the entire program is his responsibility.  Secondly, he is the offensive play caller and went ultra conservative and cost  Texas the OU game for sure.  He knew his OL could not do what he was trying to do that second half and he wasted the entire 3rd quarter trying it.  That game started the snowball.  Then in games where they were having success running he went away from Bijan.  So yes, it falls on him…..this year.  If he were sitting 8-2 nobody would be saying anything about players quitting, Bo Davis video prolly never happens, etc…

back to whoever said this wasn’t a “this year” problem to me is mostly wrong. 

In my opinion Sark went conservative when CT11 hurt his thumb. I don't think it was necessarily just to coast to victory.

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic