Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

15 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I  think they also won some in spite  of him.  

So I am trying to find your argument about this. You're happier with what we have now? You were happier with Jerrod Heard? Tyrone Swoopes? Shane Beuchele (no shade at Shane. He was a trooper, but zero pocket awareness)? 

12 hours ago, Baron said:

In my opinion Sark went conservative when CT11 hurt his thumb. I don't think it was necessarily just to coast to victory.

Sark has stated numerous times they are a run first football team.  It was evident that his play calling changed immediately after halftime of the RR game.  I get it.  You’ve got maybe the best back in the country.  But he was asking the sorriest OL in the country to push people around.  Obviously the OU staff felt like that’s what he was going to do as they came out looking to shut down the run and PA passes.  Thompson looked fine in the 4th qtr throwing the ball after sark pulled his head out

16 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

So I am trying to find your argument about this. You're happier with what we have now? You were happier with Jerrod Heard? Tyrone Swoopes? Shane Beuchele (no shade at Shane. He was a trooper, but zero pocket awareness)? 

I think Sam was what Sam was.  He was not an elite passer.  Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay were really good and had great catch radius’s.  Sam looked really good to lots of people his junior year.  The word Heisman was even tossed around.  Take those two really good receivers out and give him an unproven group of guys, and you start noticing how inaccurate he was.  Teams stacked the box to force him to beat them.  When he struggled, Texas seemed to somehow win a few games that you wondered how they did it.  So , in spite of his poor performances, Texas still won some of those games.  That was even in a down year. 

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

I think Sam was what Sam was.  He was not an elite passer.  Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay were really good and had great catch radius’s.  Sam looked really good to lots of people his junior year.  The word Heisman was even tossed around.  Take those two really good receivers out and give him an unproven group of guys, and you start noticing how inaccurate he was.  Teams stacked the box to force him to beat them.  When he struggled, Texas seemed to somehow win a few games that you wondered how they did it.  So , in spite of his poor performances, Texas still won some of those games.  That was even in a down year. 

Idk man. Even in the midst of this, you didn't even list the best WR Sam ever had to throw to. I saw Johnson and Duvernay make some good catches, but not all of Sam's 923 completions were made by extraordinary receivers making great catches. They did what they were supposed to do. Ingram sure didn't win those games for us, neither did Tre Watson. 

Sam took a beating as a Longhorn. Don't just think the O-Line is bad now. It's been rough for a while. I feel like it's lost some physicality, but like I said before, having a QB as physical as Sam was makes you're entire team more physical. 

We will just have to agree to disagree. He wasn't an elite passer, I will say that, but the program and team played much better when he was at the helm than before and after, and that's during the entire time he started. Receivers come and go, and they did, and somehow the receivers always did well but Sam was the issue... Tim Tebow and Sam had very comparable stats, and he's viewed as one of the GOATS, and was a Heisman winner and finalist more than once. 

When comparing Tebow and Ehlinger, too, something to keep in mind is that Tebow started 9 more games than Sam did. If I was a betting man, I'd say he had better weapons too - the only problem with that comparison is most of those guys are in prison. 

• LOL! 1

4 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

When comparing Tebow and Ehlinger, too, something to keep in mind is that Tebow started 9 more games than Sam did. If I was a betting man, I'd say he had better weapons too - the only problem with that comparison is most of those guys are in prison. 

Tebow also didn't have the most predictable play caller ever as head coach.

9 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Idk man. Even in the midst of this, you didn't even list the best WR Sam ever had to throw to. I saw Johnson and Duvernay make some good catches, but not all of Sam's 923 completions were made by extraordinary receivers making great catches. They did what they were supposed to do. Ingram sure didn't win those games for us, neither did Tre Watson. 

Sam took a beating as a Longhorn. Don't just think the O-Line is bad now. It's been rough for a while. I feel like it's lost some physicality, but like I said before, having a QB as physical as Sam was makes you're entire team more physical. 

We will just have to agree to disagree. He wasn't an elite passer, I will say that, but the program and team played much better when he was at the helm than before and after, and that's during the entire time he started. Receivers come and go, and they did, and somehow the receivers always did well but Sam was the issue... Tim Tebow and Sam had very comparable stats, and he's viewed as one of the GOATS, and was a Heisman winner and finalist more than once. 

I didn’t say he didn’t win Texas some games.  I just said that they won some in spite of his poor play at times.  He played well at times, but overall he wasn’t a great qb.  

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

He was what the team needed as a leader, his skill set just wasn’t great

Exactly, the team needed that toughness, will and drive to win.

Sam made some mistakes, but also made huge game changing plays throughout his career. I feel the coaching staff leaned on him too much and made it easier for the defenses to slow down the UT offense.

He is a Longhorn Legend, there is no question about that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Exactly, the team needed that toughness, will and drive to win.

Sam made some mistakes, but also made huge game changing plays throughout his career. I feel the coaching staff leaned on him too much and made it easier for the defenses to slow down the UT offense.

He is a Longhorn Legend, there is no question about that. 

Thats similar to how Aggies view Stephen McGee. He never really put up big numbers or anything but he did beat Texas twice and was a tough SOB. 

44 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I hear you, in my opinion, McGee was a very poor man’s Sam Ehlinger. 

Only because of coaching styles. There's nothing Sam did that Mcgee couldn't. They were just asked to do different things. Its also worth noting that Stephen did his damage against a much better big 12 back then. CU, Nebraska, Texas and OU were all very solid defensively. This was before the spread offense turned everyone into 7 on 7 teams lol 

I said all this to point out that they are comparable in more ways than just a very poor mans version of the other. Sam really could only do two things... Run QB power and throw a go route. Those lead to over inflated numbers. He wasnt near as good of runner as his numbers suggest and he wasn't near as good of thrower as his numbers suggest. But when you get that many starts the numbers add up. See Kellen Mond for comparison lol

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Only because of coaching styles. There's nothing Sam did that Mcgee couldn't. They were just asked to do different things. Its also worth noting that Stephen did his damage against a much better big 12 back then. CU, Nebraska, Texas and OU were all very solid defensively. This was before the spread offense turned everyone into 7 on 7 teams lol 

I said all this to point out that they are comparable in more ways than just a very poor mans version of the other. Sam really could only do two things... Run QB power and throw a go route. Those lead to over inflated numbers. He wasnt near as good of runner as his numbers suggest and he wasn't near as good of thrower as his numbers suggest. But when you get that many starts the numbers add up. See Kellen Mond for comparison lol

Sam could do more... his play-caller only ran 2 plays with him...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

Sam Ehlinger was a much better QB, and athlete, than Stephen McGee. I don’t know why those two are even being compared. 

I thinks its hilarious how butt hurt you guys get over a mediocre at best qb... Sam was nothing special and won nothing special. Very similar career to a mediocre at best McGee. The only difference between the two is style of offense and quality of opponents. You guys are crazy if you think McGee couldn't have done exactly what Sam all things equal. 

And I only compared the two because of their toughness and achievements. Both had a couple of big wins but typically were on mediocre teams. Both were tough as nails and ran a lot of designed runs. Both were either loved or hated by their fan base because of their limitations but their attitude made them fun to watch and root for. 

They are extremely comparable. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

And I only compared the two because of their toughness and achievements. Both had a couple of big wins but typically were on mediocre teams. Both were tough as nails and ran a lot of designed runs. Both were either loved or hated by their fan base because of their limitations but their attitude made them fun to watch and root for. 

They are extremely comparable. 

I always hate comparing players, especially from different eras. But I see your point here. The way they played the game is very similar, not necessarily their strengths or athleticism. I think they both were very valuable to their programs in the same way and both had a lot of grit. I see what you mean.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Btw its comical you think Sam was a better athlete. Stephen McGee ran a 4.6 at his pro day. Sam ran a 4.8. He was not more athletic.... You can argue better Qb but not athlete. 

Somehow he ran the 40 faster, but was slower on every other drill, and Sam could out-jump him. Heck at this point, I want to know what they could do on the bench lol. 

On 11/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, DB2point0 said:

Sark has stated numerous times they are a run first football team.  It was evident that his play calling changed immediately after halftime of the RR game.  I get it.  You’ve got maybe the best back in the country.  But he was asking the sorriest OL in the country to push people around.  Obviously the OU staff felt like that’s what he was going to do as they came out looking to shut down the run and PA passes.  Thompson looked fine in the 4th qtr throwing the ball after sark pulled his head out

What he did was start running the ball between the tackles. Big mistake in my book. If your not testing every aspect of a defense it ain't "all gas no brakes". 

It was too late by the 4th, momentum had completely swung by then.

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

Funny, go routes were his worst ability.  Most Texas fans complained about that the most.  

• Mr. P locked this topic