Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

25 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Is he really a bad locker room fit though? The only negative I've seen from him was this season... and the entire OU fanbase sold him out early. 

I mean I'm being completely honest when I felt like the Rattler bench was too much. Yes he made Texas look good, but Texas had his number, they also had film. But don't think I forgot the return from being benched last year. He went off against Texas. Caleb Williams fizzed out once GOOD teams had some film on him. Just so happens he popped in the game against Texas with no game plan to stop him.

I stand by the fact I think Rattler will shine at whatever program he goes too, especially if they have a great QB developing coach. 

Yes, he is a bad locker room fit. He is a Tate Martell 2.0

OU fans weren't calling for Caleb just because Rattler struggled, it was because Rattler thought of himself and talked about himself like he was Baker, Kyler, or Jalen just because he was QB1 at OU when he's not in the same realm as them. 

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Yes, he is a bad locker room fit. He is a Tate Martell 2.0

OU fans weren't calling for Caleb just because Rattler struggled, it was because Rattler thought of himself and talked about himself like he was Baker, Kyler, or Jalen just because he was QB1 at OU when he's not in the same realm as them. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. Norman gave up on Rattler way before he gave up on them. The most negativity I saw from Rattler came way after weeks of scrutiny. Martell comparison is definitely a stretch. Martell was all mouth, no action. Rattler has the talent, and he's proven it. 

It's called being spoiled. 5-star QB being backed up by a 5-star QB. Williams might have been all that when he was winning, but I saw a totally different QB Saturday. He was BEAT way before he stepped back on the field for those last 2 drives against OSU. Anyone can be a fierce competitor and a team player when they're hitting it out of the park. It's what you do when you're down and out that shows what you're really made of.

Just my opinion. We will see though. I don't think Rattler is a bad kid,  and I definitely don't think he's a Tate Martell. Rattler won't get another chance at OU, and he knows that. He could have transferred at any point during the season but didn't. Martell transferred after 2 weeks of competition with Fields. 

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Norman gave up on Rattler way before he gave up on them. The most negativity I saw from Rattler came way after weeks of scrutiny. Martell comparison is definitely a stretch. Martell was all mouth, no action. Rattler has the talent, and he's proven it. 

It's called being spoiled. 5-star QB being backed up by a 5-star QB. Williams might have been all that when he was winning, but I saw a totally different QB Saturday. He was BEAT way before he stepped back on the field for those last 2 drives against OSU. Anyone can be a fierce competitor and a team player when they're hitting it out of the park. It's what you do when you're down and out that shows what you're really made of.

Just my opinion. We will see though. I don't think Rattler is a bad kid,  and I definitely don't think he's a Tate Martell. Rattler won't get another chance at OU, and he knows that. He could have transferred at any point during the season but didn't. Martell transferred after 2 weeks of competition with Fields. 

Rattler has a very good arm, but saying he has proven his talent is quite a stretch when he just got benched for a true freshman.

Interesting take. Martell stayed the whole year and transferred when Fields came in. He didn't have another chance at OSU. Rattler stays the whole year and is transferring because of Williams. How is that any different? Lol

Norman gave up on Rattler because Rattler only cared about Rattler.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas is announcing some big time NIL stuff. I’ve read that this is only the beginning. It will be spread throughout all sports with football getting most of it. 

It's about time they did something to catch up. They seemed to be stuck in the mud with getting this going. 

10 minutes ago, topher805 said:

It's about time they did something to catch up. They seemed to be stuck in the mud with getting this going. 

I don't think they were. I just think lots of these things are just behind closed doors. Sometimes they become public and sometimes not but I think the major players have had things in place from day 1. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I don't think they were. I just think lots of these things are just behind closed doors. Sometimes they become public and sometimes not but I think the major players have had things in place from day 1. 

Right, this doesn’t take away from what players are doing on their own. This is alumni and boosters putting their own “foundation” together to be legal bagmen. And it helps every player 1-85 on scholarship. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

This is also an annual thing. So not just a one time bag drop. 
For football a kid may receive a 6 figure sum for all 4 years if he wants it. 1-85 

If you can't recruit em, buy em! Now you're SEC ready lol 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2
  • Prayers 1

12 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Nationwide:  if we have a war of bagmen groups, U of Texas wins right?  I mean this in the nicest way possible.  And by bag men, I mean donors who will willingly give their money away just to win.

I don't think so. A&M and Bama are right there with them. 

2 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Just a thought for baseball purposes. Texas is always losing top guys to the draft, but with the new NILs this could help kids come to UT instead of going pro. The money would be very similar unless they go top 10. 

I've thought all along baseball would be the group most effected and benefiting from NIL stuff. 

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I don't think so. A&M and Bama are right there with them. 

I am curious about the numbers for strictly donations. I can find lots of revenue numbers and they vary from site to site and year to year. One thing is for sure... There's a ton of money in this. I'd argue that college football is more valuable than nfl franchises. Especially when you factor in most nfl stadiums are owned by the city where as the school itself bought some of these near billion dollar stadiums. 

13 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Just a thought for baseball purposes. Texas is always losing top guys to the draft, but with the new NILs this could help kids come to UT instead of going pro. The money would be very similar unless they go top 10. 

I think we will see the answer to that question with football. 

On 11/30/2021 at 8:58 AM, H3llR4z0r said:

Norman started the Caleb Williams chants against Nebraska, then they really got notice against West Virginia. 3 games into the season. How do you do that to your Heisman hopeful QB after not even 2 bad games? What mental effects do you think that has on a sophomore QB running your offense? 

I'm glad Texas didn't do that when Vince Young had some rough starts. His FR and SO years started off very rocky. Gotta give your QB some chance to fight through it. It would be heck to be having a rough game and go sit on the bench and listen to the crowd chant that they want another QB. 

Texas fans did it to Garrett Gilbert and it took June Jones to get him right again.

13 hours ago, Baron said:

Texas fans did it to Garrett Gilbert and it took June Jones to get him right again.

and I gotta be honest...seems Horns fans haven't been the easiest on Hudson Card...he may be a bit fragile...he's slow in his process and we'd love to have him come right in and be Colt McCoy or even more a Tua or Johnny Manziel -- it takes a little bit sometimes though to "get it".

4 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

and I gotta be honest...seems Horns fans haven't been the easiest on Hudson Card...he may be a bit fragile...he's slow in his process and we'd love to have him come right in and be Colt McCoy or even more a Tua or Johnny Manziel -- it takes a little bit sometimes though to "get it".

The difficulty of that is that your college QBs aren't Jrs and Srs.  They don't get 2-3 years to learn the system.  They come in and start within 12 months or they transfer somewhere that will let them.  Freshmen QB starters as little as 12 years ago was a miniscule percentage.   Now I would say Freshmen and Sophomores are the majority of QB starters in CFB.  The expectations of these players is to come right in and just get it.  However, the best way to make that work is to dumb down your offense similar to what they ran in high school.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr. P locked this topic