Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

32 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The difficulty of that is that your college QBs aren't Jrs and Srs.  They don't get 2-3 years to learn the system.  They come in and start within 12 months or they transfer somewhere that will let them.  Freshmen QB starters as little as 12 years ago was a miniscule percentage.   Now I would say Freshmen and Sophomores are the majority of QB starters in CFB.  The expectations of these players is to come right in and just get it.  However, the best way to make that work is to dumb down your offense similar to what they ran in high school.  

Agree. The system is broken thanks to the transfer rules. 

14 hours ago, Baron said:

Texas fans did it to Garrett Gilbert and it took June Jones to get him right again.

The fans were NOT why Garrett Gilbert didn't pan out at Texas. From the moment he took over the starting job in 2010, he struggled. Which was very surprising to most, as he looked pretty good in the NC game. As that season (2010) progressed, he just got worse and worse. For every TD pass he'd throw (which was few anyway), he'd throw 2 Int's. 

I don't know why he turned out to be a bust at Texas. Maybe the stage was just too big for him. Maybe he couldn't handle the pressure. I don't know what it was, but I do not agree that it was the fans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

The fans were NOT why Garrett Gilbert didn't pan out at Texas. From the moment he took over the starting job in 2010, he struggled. Which was very surprising to most, as he looked pretty good in the NC game. As that season (2010) progressed, he just got worse and worse. For every TD pass he'd throw (which was few anyway), he'd throw 2 Int's. 

I don't know why he turned out to be a bust at Texas. Maybe the stage was just too big for him. Maybe he couldn't handle the pressure. I don't know what it was, but I do not agree that it was the fans. 

Maybe because Mack decided to change the offense he recruited Gilbert to play in.  

17 hours ago, Baron said:

Texas fans did it to Garrett Gilbert and it took June Jones to get him right again.

To be fair, Garrett Gilbert never was a great QB. He wasn't even good at SMU. Lots of yards, a few TDs, and just as many INTS as TDs. Plus he threw 4 picks in the national championship so I'll never forgive him LOL. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

He wasn't good at SMU either. Subpar completion percentage, 36 TDs / 21 INTs in 2 seasons. For a QB of his caliber when recruited, that's abysmal. Look at what Shane did at SMU in comparison. Shane threw 34 Tds in his JR year.

• Like 2

So I’ve read that Evan Stewart secured a $300k NIL payment for committing to the Aggies.  There’s no use in asking any of them if it’s legit or rumor as the ones here don’t know.  I wonder if that’s what college football is coming to.  Is that why Texas is putting together such lucrative “groups” or “funds” or whatever these things will be called.  Will each kid receive this for signing?  Will different rankings draw more money/value?  Where will it stop if that’s the going rate for a wr that didn’t play his senior year of HS?

48 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So I’ve read that Evan Stewart secured a $300k NIL payment for committing to the Aggies.  There’s no use in asking any of them if it’s legit or rumor as the ones here don’t know.  I wonder if that’s what college football is coming to.  Is that why Texas is putting together such lucrative “groups” or “funds” or whatever these things will be called.  Will each kid receive this for signing?  Will different rankings draw more money/value?  Where will it stop if that’s the going rate for a wr that didn’t play his senior year of HS?

Don’t you think if that were true it would be talked about on Aggie boards? I’ve searched and it’s nowhere…. You read one rumor from a butthurt Texas board poster and now it’s true until proven otherwise? Lol

texas lost Stewart because they went 5-7. That’s the reason they are losing many recruits. This is not about money and Texas getting outspent. 

btw, Texas announced this big deal because they needed momentum. A&M and other big time players have had NIL groups like this in place since the beginning. Texas isn’t ahead of the curve on this, they are just one of the only ones needing to go public about it. And the reason for that is because now Texas lost its bargaining power. EVERY recruit will want X amount of dollars now because they have seen some numbers on twitter. Keep these deals quiet so that way you don’t lose a stud that’s not as important to you simply because he can price gouge you. 

• LOL! 1

53 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Don’t you think if that were true it would be talked about on Aggie boards? I’ve searched and it’s nowhere…. You read one rumor from a butthurt Texas board poster and now it’s true until proven otherwise? Lol

texas lost Stewart because they went 5-7. That’s the reason they are losing many recruits. This is not about money and Texas getting outspent. 

btw, Texas announced this big deal because they needed momentum. A&M and other big time players have had NIL groups like this in place since the beginning. Texas isn’t ahead of the curve on this, they are just one of the only ones needing to go public about it. And the reason for that is because now Texas lost its bargaining power. EVERY recruit will want X amount of dollars now because they have seen some numbers on twitter. Keep these deals quiet so that way you don’t lose a stud that’s not as important to you simply because he can price gouge you. 

What was Texas' bargaining power? I'm curious. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I read it on Twitter. Not a longhorn board.  Stop

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I read it on Twitter. Not a longhorn board.  Stop

Ah twitter. The ultimate source of truth lol. 

Listen, nobody has given any truth from any source to validate this matter. If you’re one of those that likes to view things as guilty until proven innocent then I get it. But why not just wait until some credible info comes out before assuming it’s true. 

30 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

What was Texas' bargaining power? I'm curious. 

If you don’t just openly broadcast your NIL funds coming in, you can leverage kids because they don’t know what they are getting compared to others. 

It’s like going to a negotiation to buy a car and the dealership showing you what every customer that comes through pays for the same vehicle. If you knew the guy that bought the same f150 as you that same morning for $1500 cheaper because he negotiated better wouldn’t you be upset? What about if the dealership started showing they profit X amount of dollars off your purchase and you believe it’s too much so now you start working a deal down simply because you know that information not because you feel you were taken advantage of. 

I just think telling recruits “we’ve got X amount of dollars to spend” is not a good idea. 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

If you don’t just openly broadcast your NIL funds coming in, you can leverage kids because they don’t know what they are getting compared to others. 

It’s like going to a negotiation to buy a car and the dealership showing you what every customer that comes through pays for the same vehicle. If you knew the guy that bought the same f150 as you that same morning for $1500 cheaper because he negotiated better wouldn’t you be upset? What about if the dealership started showing they profit X amount of dollars off your purchase and you believe it’s too much so now you start working a deal down simply because you know that information not because you feel you were taken advantage of. 

I just think telling recruits “we’ve got X amount of dollars to spend” is not a good idea. 

Are we talking about the Clark Field Collective?

27 minutes ago, WETSU said:

nah, I live near Texarkana...I like to pay a few thousand over sticker...at least

• LOL! 1

45 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Ah twitter. The ultimate source of truth lol. 

Listen, nobody has given any truth from any source to validate this matter. If you’re one of those that likes to view things as guilty until proven innocent then I get it. But why not just wait until some credible info comes out before assuming it’s true. 

I’ve asked for validation as this could change college football drastically.  There was no undertone to my question.  Just wait?  This is a message board, people talk and ask questions on them.  I guess if you want to wait go ahead.  If waiting is your answer, why did you respond to me?  You could’ve just as easily followed your own advice

40 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Do you really think kids are going to keep their offers a secret?  Not in this day and time.  That’s the very reason I asked if there was any legitimatcy in the $300k rumor….

42 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The new NIL deal Texas just promoted is just a baseline starting point. Any scholarship player 1-85 can receive this baseline NIL deal. The numbers thrown out for football players is at 100k every year. Players won’t have to bargain for it because it’s like a signing bonus. There is no other program doing anything like this YET. There will be soon, Notre Dame is coming with their own. 

Also this is just part 1. Part 2 is supposed to be bigger for specific high profile players in various sports. Part 3 is completely unknown right now and will take longer to get approval through the state of Texas, so I’ve read. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

The new NIL deal Texas just promoted is just a baseline starting point. Any scholarship player 1-85 can receive this baseline NIL deal. The numbers thrown out for football players is at 100k every year. Players won’t have to bargain for it because it’s like a signing bonus. There is no other program doing anything like this YET. There will be soon, Notre Dame is coming with their own. 

Also this is just part 1. Part 2 is supposed to be bigger for specific high profile players in various sports. Part 3 is completely unknown right now and will take longer to get approval through the state of Texas, so I’ve read. 

This will be good.  And the kids can sign their own deals on top of that as long as the obligations don’t interfere.  

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic