Jump to content

Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

This is where I'm at.  I think they win all the home games.  TCU/OU/ISU/Arky games on road will determine what the record will be.  West Virginia is on the road, but I think Texas wins that one.

ULL and Arky are good tests to open the year.  Both return nearly the entire starting lineups on both sides.  While ULL did beat ISU last year, they played a lot of close games in conference against the likes of Georgia Southern, UTSA, Georgia State, ect.  

ULL and Arky were really bad against the run last year (nearly 200 yards per game against) so I'd expect a heavy dose of Bijan, Rojo, and the Alabama transfer with Play Action mixed in.  

Just ready for normal football with full stands to be back.  

ULL is a good team, but like you said, other than the ISU big win, they barely escaped their conference games. I think as the home opener, full stadium, brand new field and endzone, that homefield advantage will be a lot for ULL. But hey, we've seen crazier things happen (i.e. Maryland).

Arkansas makes me nervous because its the first road game during primetime. But imo, that's all that makes me nervous about Arkansas. This is no disrespect to the Hogs (my fiance is a Razorback), I just haven't seen anything for me to think otherwise. They really improved last year, but we are talking about a team that went from 2 wins in 2019 to 4 in 2020. I certainly am not overlooking them by any means given the atmosphere, but I'm not going to chalk that game up as a loss or a toss up. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong on this one. I just think Texas wins that games because of their strong defense and solid running game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

ULL is a good team, but like you said, other than the ISU big win, they barely escaped their conference games. I think as the home opener, full stadium, brand new field and endzone, that homefield advantage will be a lot for ULL. But hey, we've seen crazier things happen (i.e. Maryland).

Arkansas makes me nervous because its the first road game during primetime. But imo, that's all that makes me nervous about Arkansas. This is no disrespect to the Hogs (my fiance is a Razorback), I just haven't seen anything for me to think otherwise. They really improved last year, but we are talking about a team that went from 2 wins in 2019 to 4 in 2020. I certainly am not overlooking them by any means given the atmosphere, but I'm not going to chalk that game up as a loss or a toss up. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong on this one. I just think Texas wins that games because of their strong defense and solid running game.

The one thing I'll say about Arkansas is they have the Texas game marked. They will come into that game guns blazing. Its probably their biggest game with a realistic shot at winning at home in a few years now. Definitely will be an emotional game. I think texas is more talented in certain areas but I think Arkansas is going to see a huge jump in year 2 of Pittman. I'd personally be more worried about them than ULL. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definately think Arkansas is the tougher of the first two.  Think the only starters they lost was QB, RB, best DT and Mike Woods to transfer.  They played much better at home last year (Georgia close for a half, beat Ole Miss, lost to LSU by 3).  They'll throw the kitchen sink at Texas just like they do at A&M every year in Jerry World.  

In the ULL win over Iowa State they returned a kickoff and punt back for TD's and connected on a long pass.  Other than that they were stymied.  And ISU seems to always play like dog doodoo in week 1 (remember 2 years ago going to OT to beat a FCS team?).  The ULL QB is OK? I guess.  He's not as good as the LA Tech QB Texas faced 2 years ago to open up with, but they are a better team than they are.  Appears all they lost was both RB's they primarily used last year (Mitchell and Ragas).

If Texas wins these two then they should roll into Fort Worth at 4-0 in week 5.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 7:47 AM, ETXfan16 said:

College basketball was ruined for me when they started the 1 and done rule. I don't like seeing new rosters each year, or watching someone play knowing that they are here for a year then gone. It's just hard for me to invest.

I do like college basketball X's and O's though. Watching the NBA is like watching a pickup game at your local LA Fitness. 

College baseball, or baseball in general, is my favorite sport to watch. It's boring, but I just like the pureness and parody of the game. That's what makes it watchable for me.

Not to mention the horific officiating in the NBA ... where violations are based more on who you are than what you did .... totally laughable .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

The one thing I'll say about Arkansas is they have the Texas game marked. They will come into that game guns blazing. Its probably their biggest game with a realistic shot at winning at home in a few years now. Definitely will be an emotional game. I think texas is more talented in certain areas but I think Arkansas is going to see a huge jump in year 2 of Pittman. I'd personally be more worried about them than ULL. 

 

Oh I don't disagree at all. It's just hard to gage how big of a jump they will make (I haven't watched a ton of Arkie football tbh to compare). I worry about them more than ULL for sure. It's going to be an awesome atmosphere. I wish Texas had them in Austin next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Not to mention the horific officiating in the NBA ... where violations are based more on who you are than what you did .... totally laughable .....

It's an absolute joke. Fundamentals have been MIA in the NBA for years now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Definately think Arkansas is the tougher of the first two.  Think the only starters they lost was QB, RB, best DT and Mike Woods to transfer.  They played much better at home last year (Georgia close for a half, beat Ole Miss, lost to LSU by 3).  They'll throw the kitchen sink at Texas just like they do at A&M every year in Jerry World.  

In the ULL win over Iowa State they returned a kickoff and punt back for TD's and connected on a long pass.  Other than that they were stymied.  And ISU seems to always play like dog doodoo in week 1 (remember 2 years ago going to OT to beat a FCS team?).  The ULL QB is OK? I guess.  He's not as good as the LA Tech QB Texas faced 2 years ago to open up with, but they are a better team than they are.  Appears all they lost was both RB's they primarily used last year (Mitchell and Ragas).

If Texas wins these two then they should roll into Fort Worth at 4-0 in week 5.

I would very much like to see Texas rolling into the cotton bowl 5-0 against OU. 

Texas has the talent to win at least 10 games, I just hope Sark gets his guys mentally tough. That's where Herman really failed and that's why we saw Texas lose close games they could have easily won. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Oh I don't disagree at all. It's just hard to gage how big of a jump they will make (I haven't watched a ton of Arkie football tbh to compare). I worry about them more than ULL for sure. It's going to be an awesome atmosphere. I wish Texas had them in Austin next year.

I think you can expect a very big jump honestly. Remember they didnt have spring football to implement Pittmans system due to covid last year so they actually showed a good turnaround for having an entire new staff. Yes they only won 4 games but that was against a decent schedule and they were much improved even in the games they lost. I'd expect them to make some good strides with the spring and what they have returning. 

In Austin i think Texas is the easy favorite but its a challenge game on the road. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really hard to try to predict this Texas team. New QB alone makes this hard, but then add in the coaching turnover and I honestly can’t put a number down. You listen to Sark talk offense and you can convince yourself that he can put up a competent offense any given year and a special one (see last year) when the talent goes through the roof. I think that’s going to be the biggest thing for Texas…just be competent. So many times under Herman over the course of the season and even in game, the offense would look unstoppable to an abomination. I’d rather score 28-35 every week instead of the 50 one week and 13 the next that Herman and company could produce. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, villagegenius said:

Really hard to try to predict this Texas team. New QB alone makes this hard, but then add in the coaching turnover and I honestly can’t put a number down. You listen to Sark talk offense and you can convince yourself that he can put up a competent offense any given year and a special one (see last year) when the talent goes through the roof. I think that’s going to be the biggest thing for Texas…just be competent. So many times under Herman over the course of the season and even in game, the offense would look unstoppable to an abomination. I’d rather score 28-35 every week instead of the 50 one week and 13 the next that Herman and company could produce. 

The last 2 years for Herman he had you never knew how the offense was going to perform on any drive. When Texas scored it felt like it was a struggle to do so. 
I agree with you, I want Sark to come in and field a competent team. A team that doesn’t beat itself. If he can do that he has the talent to win 10 games. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 10:21 PM, trashyhound said:

I’m sure they are. They probably want to know what middle of the pack teams are doing

Yep. It's called a rivalry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Tristan Stevens is coming back.  What do you guys think of a weekend rotation next year of Hanson/Stevens/Tanner Witt?

Pretty solid, still need a solid #4 for weekday games. Also Texas picked up Kansas' 3B from this past season via the transfer portal.

Screenshot_20210715-204614_Chrome.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2021 at 11:43 AM, WETSU said:

The one thing I'll say about Arkansas is they have the Texas game marked. They will come into that game guns blazing. Its probably their biggest game with a realistic shot at winning at home in a few years now. Definitely will be an emotional game. I think texas is more talented in certain areas but I think Arkansas is going to see a huge jump in year 2 of Pittman. I'd personally be more worried about them than ULL. 

 

Agree 100%, I have this one marked down as a loss. For all the reasons you cited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 4:49 PM, Red90fly said:

Tristan Stevens is coming back.  What do you guys think of a weekend rotation next year of Hanson/Stevens/Tanner Witt?

Pierce has recruited well pitching wise. Texas needs to get hitters that can steer them away from most of the small ball they played this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 4:49 PM, Red90fly said:

Tristan Stevens is coming back.  What do you guys think of a weekend rotation next year of Hanson/Stevens/Tanner Witt?

Omaha or bust. 
 

The transfer from KU will a nice replacement for Cam at 3B.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Red90fly said:

Gotta say, as a lifetime longhorn fan, this is probably the most excited I've been to watch the big 3 men's sports teams in the same upcoming season.

I still think football is going to be a harder transition than people realize, but I can definitely see your excitement. Texas will be a preseason top 5 in baseball and basketball with legit chances to win titles in both. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I still think football is going to be a harder transition than people realize, but I can definitely see your excitement. Texas will be a preseason top 5 in baseball and basketball with legit chances to win titles in both. 

If Texas won the national championship in basketball it’d be so cool. I loved that Final Four team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If Texas won the national championship in basketball it’d be so cool. I loved that Final Four team. 

I can see that being cool. Has Texas ever won a basketball title? At least in anyone living memory? Im not really a basketball fan so I really only keep up with it enough to know if A&M is decent or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, WETSU said:

I can see that being cool. Has Texas ever won a basketball title? At least in anyone living memory? Im not really a basketball fan so I really only keep up with it enough to know if A&M is decent or not. 

The women won it all in 88 I believe, as an undefeated team. 
The men have not won one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...