Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

So little breakdown of the plays that ultimately led to the demise of Texas Saturday.

1st down - false start
1st down - 2yd run by Bijan
2nd down - 2yd pass to Worthy (bad ball placement and 1st read by Thompson)
3rd & 9 - Judging by the rest of the players, this was a designed run to Bijan. Miscommunicated, ball ended up on the turf. Thompson tackled for -4 yards.

Defense holds OKST to a field goal after they started on the TX47

2nd down - 5 yard pass to Roscho - See pic #1
3rd down - Low snap, fumbled, thrown away. 2 drives in a row the ball ended up on the ground on 3rd down. OL gave Thompson 0 opportunity to make a decision with the ball after he picked it up.

Defense gives up some yardage, but ultimately forces the punt.

1st down - Incomplete pass - lots of pressure, but wide open check down. See pic #2 - Thompson drilled, hurt.
Card comes in.
2nd down - 4yd run by Bijan
3rd down - Ball thrown too high. Could have been made, but looking back, there were 2 other receivers that I believe could have been better options, especially #6. He catches and turns up, that first down and more. 

Keep in mind, it's easy to go back and look at this and critique it, but honestly... I haven't seen Thompson get through his first read yet... These throws are to the receiver he stares down from the time he snaps the ball. Big no nos. 

Texas defense gives up their first TD.

1st down - Bijan rush for no gain.
2nd down - Broken play I feel like. It was a triple option, snapped the ball too late so motion man wasn't a factor, so it just because an option to the short side of the field. Resulted in a 2 yard loss. 
3rd down - You'd have to go look at 9:04 in the 4th. Ultimately the OL broke down, gave up the sack, but Thompson did not move at all with the pressure. Generally you see that much pressure coming to 1 side of the OL, you'd roll out from it. He waited about 2 seconds too long.

Texas defense forces a FG. 25-24 OKST at this point.

1st down - 9 yd run by Bijan - OL hurt on the play.
2nd down - Bubble screen, Thompson throws the ball too far down field, should have probably been picked off. Caught for no gain.
3rd down - QB read - OL completely breaks down. 2 yard loss here.
4th down - OL again looks completely lost. LG, C, RG all cover the DT in the center of the field. Leaves the tackles 1 on 1 with the ends outside. They get beat, Thompson tries to run but coverage is great, and they're spying. 

OKST1.png

OKST2.png

OKST3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

So little breakdown of the plays that ultimately led to the demise of Texas Saturday.

1st down - false start
3rd & 9 - Judging by the rest of the players, this was a designed run to Bijan. Miscommunicated, ball ended up on the turf. Thompson tackled for -4 yards.

3rd down - Low snap, fumbled, thrown away. 2 drives in a row the ball ended up on the ground on 3rd down. OL gave Thompson 0 opportunity to make a decision with the ball after he picked it up.

1st down - Incomplete pass - lots of pressure, but wide open check down. See pic #2 - Thompson drilled, hurt.
Card comes in.
3rd down - Ball thrown too high. Could have been made, but looking back, there were 2 other receivers that I believe could have been better options, especially #6. He catches and turns up, that first down and more. 

Keep in mind, it's easy to go back and look at this and critique it, but honestly... I haven't seen Thompson get through his first read yet... These throws are to the receiver he stares down from the time he snaps the ball. Big no nos. 

2nd down - Broken play I feel like. It was a triple option, snapped the ball too late so motion man wasn't a factor, so it just because an option to the short side of the field. Resulted in a 2 yard loss. 
3rd down - You'd have to go look at 9:04 in the 4th. Ultimately the OL broke down, gave up the sack, but Thompson did not move at all with the pressure. Generally you see that much pressure coming to 1 side of the OL, you'd roll out from it. He waited about 2 seconds too long.

2nd down - Bubble screen, Thompson throws the ball too far down field, should have probably been picked off. Caught for no gain.
4th down - OL again looks completely lost. LG, C, RG all cover the DT in the center of the field. Leaves the tackles 1 on 1 with the ends outside. They get beat, Thompson tries to run but coverage is great, and they're spying. 

OKST1.png

OKST2.png

OKST3.png

Quality post!  :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

1st down - false start

Card comes in.

OKST1.png

OKST2.png

OKST3.png

Great stuff here. 

The most telling drive for me was the drive right after the pick 6. I tweeted it live but after the INT Casey was shook and never recovered. 

24 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

1st down - false start

Card comes in.

OKST1.png

OKST2.png

OKST3.png

Look at the defensive alignments presnap.  They were playing most of the defense within 8-9 yards of the Los.  They knew Texas wasn’t throwing intermediate to deep in the second half

Pic #1 gets me pretty bad. Knowing how dangerous in space Bijan is, that's potential touchdown. 

After going through all 5 of these drives, it's very apparent that Thompson was out of it. I've seen him make reads before, and he made none on these 5 drives. The throws he made were pre-meditated, and he stared down each wide receiver. Same scenario on the pick 6. I'm not sure what the deal was, or why it was this way. 

Pic #3 if you go back and watch what happened in real time, the defense followed him the entire way. That MLB was actually shifting to the left side of the field the entire time, just following the QBs eyes. 

I know line play is a big issue in why Casey probably feels like he can't go throw his progressions, but his coaches have to talk him through that in between drives. Just a quick check down would have gotten him out of so many situations. Even on the last drive, if he had moved away from the pressure, Bijan was fixing to be open on a check down. It would have been tough to get the  first down, but at least you're giving your playmaker an opportunity. 

No one really responded too it earlier this week but I’ll say it again…I think the last few games have proven why Card was the choice out of fall camp. Thompson has deficiencies. The offense has been down right brutal when he has to make legitimate reads. Think about the big plays he does make in the pass game…screens or PA shots down field where the ball is almost pre determined to go. Whoever it was posting about the scripting of the plays backs up my point. The opening script plays get practiced multiple times a day more than likely. They are designed based on what the defense has shown on film. Once you have to get off script (either the flow of the game dictates it or the defense adjusts) Thompson has struggled, quite badly some times. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villagegenius said:

No one really responded too it earlier this week but I’ll say it again…I think the last few games have proven why Card was the choice out of fall camp. Thompson has deficiencies. The offense has been down right brutal when he has to make legitimate reads. Think about the big plays he does make in the pass game…screens or PA shots down field where the ball is almost pre determined to go. Whoever it was posting about the scripting of the plays backs up my point. The opening script plays get practiced multiple times a day more than likely. They are designed based on what the defense has shown on film. Once you have to get off script (either the flow of the game dictates it or the defense adjusts) Thompson has struggled, quite badly some times. 

Yeah I think you're right. Though I do think his arm is more accurate than Cards right now, and he's a little more lethal if he decides to use his legs, overall I think Card is the better passer as far as progressing through is reads and make decisions. I still think Thompson should be the starting QB, but they've got to find some way to get him to study the field. 

The real question is, he's a RS JR, so is this from lack of playing time, or just lack of development? He's been backing up Sam for 2 years... You would think a lot of this stuff he's had ample time to practice. Is it because it's a new offense? 

13 hours ago, villagegenius said:

I will say this, Card may not have been very decisive against Arkansas, but if you go back and watch the game against ULL, Card hit his check downs/Bijan a lot. At least more times than Casey has being the starter.

I think Casey tries to make the big play too often. Per the examples above, he'd rather hit a 20-30 ball than check down to Bijan and have him pick up 15-20. That's something Card did well which is why I believe he got the nod out of camp.

13 hours ago, villagegenius said:

Card also had quite a few drops in the Arkansas game that would have help out. At least 3 were deep balls if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Yeah I think you're right. Though I do think his arm is more accurate than Cards right now, and he's a little more lethal if he decides to use his legs, overall I think Card is the better passer as far as progressing through is reads and make decisions. I still think Thompson should be the starting QB, but they've got to find some way to get him to study the field. 

The real question is, he's a RS JR, so is this from lack of playing time, or just lack of development? He's been backing up Sam for 2 years... You would think a lot of this stuff he's had ample time to practice. Is it because it's a new offense? 

I just think Card fits the mold of a Sarkisian QB better. IMO that mold is a QB who knows where the ball is supposed to go, when it’s supposed to go there and what to do with the ball when that’s not there. That’s not been Thompson in his time at UT. 

1 hour ago, thegreatbambino said:

Card also had quite a few drops in the Arkansas game that would have help out. At least 3 were deep balls if I remember correctly.

Whit dropped a  TD.  It wasn’t the best thrown pass, but he got both hands on it before he dropped it.

4 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

I just think Card fits the mold of a Sarkisian QB better. IMO that mold is a QB who knows where the ball is supposed to go, when it’s supposed to go there and what to do with the ball when that’s not there. That’s not been Thompson in his time at UT. 

Thompson has played very well IMO.  I don’t think you’ve seen the full extent of the offense and the skill set of either QB due to poor OL play.  Sark doesn’t run his qb, we all know that Casey is a decent runner.  Some qb runs/draws would help IMO.  Neither qb is given enough time to get through their progressions fully yet.  RB is typically your last look/check down.  This line is pretty bad when you can’t get through the progressions 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 12:53 PM, DB2point0 said:

Thompson has played very well IMO.  I don’t think you’ve seen the full extent of the offense and the skill set of either QB due to poor OL play.  Sark doesn’t run his qb, we all know that Casey is a decent runner.  Some qb runs/draws would help IMO.  Neither qb is given enough time to get through their progressions fully yet.  RB is typically your last look/check down.  This line is pretty bad when you can’t get through the progressions 

Thompson has played average to poor the last game and a half. I think it has more to do with his thumb injury than anything else.

11 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

Does anyone know where Brennan Eagles and Jake Smith are, I know Eagles made a dumb decision to leave early when he clearly wasn't ready for the NFL, somebody told him wrong.

Jake Smith went to USC and went out for the year with injury before week 1. 

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

That’s a kid who could wind up in the USFL/ XFL if/when they restart.

Maybe not even there, he had great potential only if he at least stayed one more yr at Texas to develop, he had a good breakout season, but had several drop passes that slowed him 

• Mr. P locked this topic