👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

28 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Nike got a good one. 💰

This has been one of the weirder ones I’ve seen. You read the Texas boards they thought they were getting him up until last night. A&M boards said the same thing. Then Oregon swoops in. NIL in full effect on this one. Family can’t afford to fly to watch him? Watch see what deals he gets.

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

In the grand scheme of all things it is better for Oklahoma for Texas A&M to not be good. 

However, being a TXHSF coach it still drives me crazy to see kids leave the region to go to Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, and etc. Go to Oklahoma or stay in the state lol.

Ahem..... 

18 minutes ago, Stoney said:

This has been one of the weirder ones I’ve seen. You read the Texas boards they thought they were getting him up until last night. A&M boards said the same thing. Then Oregon swoops in. NIL in full effect on this one. Family can’t afford to fly to watch him? Watch see what deals he gets.

See what I was getting at earlier?

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

You think there was a reason he waited until July to commit? Nike has their hands in so many things surrounding Eugene, OR. He may not get a deal with Nike, but I bet he gets a deal with local car dealerships, food places, etc... that Nike helps fund somehow. College football turned into a business years ago, but now it's basically the minor league of the NFL.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

From my understanding an athlete cannot sign a deal with a company that sponsors there school. 

Like an Oklahoma athlete can’t have a deal with Jordan because they sponsor Oklahoma.

The kids can’t wear school logo gear when they advertise can they? I saw Bo Nic and he’s in Auburn colors but no logos or anything.

Just now, Lhornfan said:

You think there was a reason he waited until July to commit? Nike has their hands in so many things surrounding Eugene, OR. He may not get a deal with Nike, but I bet he gets a deal with local car dealerships, food places, etc... that Nike helps fund somehow. College football turned into a business years ago, but now it's basically the minor league of the NFL.

I think it’s weird that he bumped up his commitment so fast. Could be BAS but I have a hard time believing the NIL didn’t play some part of it. Lot of Aggies hoping the old “too far from home” act plays out but with the NIL, I think these kids will be able to afford to fly their parents in. 

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The kids can’t wear school logo gear when they advertise can they? I saw Bo Nic and he’s in Auburn colors but no logos or anything.

I don’t know about that. 

I’m talking about like Spencer Rattler signing a deal separately with Jordan. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31845340/how-texas-sec-college-football-top-conference-formed-perfect-fit

Here's my favorite excerpt: 

The politicians again called the A&M and Texas presidents to the mat to avoid another split in 2010, and the Big 12 hung on by a thread, despite losing Nebraska to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac-10. The Texas schools were asked to try and play nice.

But in 2011, everything changed.

"That's when a great thing happened," Loftin said. "Texas announced their partnership with ESPN to form the Longhorn Network."

After the 20-year, $300 million deal was announced, the discussions that Loftin had been having with the board of regents about exploring the Aggies' options gained urgency. The Aggies always felt like Texas was only interested in its own benefit and not what was best for the conference, but there was now a concrete example with its own individual revenue stream outside of the league's television rights. All the political opposition couldn't overcome the groundswell of support Loftin suddenly had.

"When the LHN was announced, that just galvanized our former and current students," Loftin said, saying there were suddenly fewer people on the fence about breaking ranks and leaving the conference and splitting with the Longhorns. "We went from 50-50 to 95-5 [in favor of the SEC] almost overnight."

I said it then and I'll say it now: the LHN doomed the future of the Big XII.

Had the UT leadership any foresight, they would've leveraged the deal into a conference network. 

Short term gain, long term loss. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31845340/how-texas-sec-college-football-top-conference-formed-perfect-fit

Had the UT leadership any foresight, they would've leveraged the deal into a conference network. 

I agree 100% with this.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LOL said:

They offered a LoneStar network involving all Texas universities, aTm included.  The aTm brass didn’t think it’d be beneficial monetarily.  The LHN proved that espn was willing to shell out some coin. 

7 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Just because you don’t like the truth doesn’t make it wrong. Stevie wonder can see this greatly benefited the school and was the overall best choice.

If you measure everything by money then sure.  But turning your back on your multiple natural rivalries for the sake of the SEC getting Texas TVs then no.  

42 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

They offered a LoneStar network involving all Texas universities, aTm included.  The aTm brass didn’t think it’d be beneficial monetarily.  The LHN proved that espn was willing to shell out some coin. 

Source? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Was this during the SWC days? 

25 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If you measure everything by money then sure.  But turning your back on your multiple natural rivalries for the sake of the SEC getting Texas TVs then no.  

Rivalries are a pittance compared to revenue. 

39 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

As long as the Big XII is putting their marquee game at 11:00 am each week, the SEC was going to pull plenty of Texas TV's in the afternoon and evening...

25 minutes ago, LOL said:

Source? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Was this during the SWC days? 

Nope, it wasn’t brought to light til right before the announcement of the LHN. Couldn’t call it a lonestar network if all the teams in Texas were involved.  It was going to base in Austin and that was named the main reason that aTm said no.  And no, I just remember reading that years back.  LHN brought $300 million, just think what this would’ve paid.  And it was going to air high school football.  

• Mr. P locked this topic