👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

I've got one absolutely massive gripe about the way this season has played out for Jimbo and A&M... 

Jimbo knew he only had two scholarship QBs entering the last off season. He recruited one guy and now has 3 scholarship QBs, but moved his sole QB in the class to TE over the summer. 

My gripe is that he willingly entered the season with TWO scholarship QBs. Why move your freshman recruit to TE so early? If he was THAT bad then what were you thinking taking him as your sole QB in the class. And secondly, why not leave him taking qb reps at least this season just in case you needed a 3rd qb (which they have) and then move him to TE in the off season when Weigman arrives... 

I am not saying it really matters much in the grand scheme of things and A&M likely only wins one more game (arkansas) because of this, but its still enough that it ticks me off at how it was handled. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I've got one absolutely massive gripe about the way this season has played out for Jimbo and A&M... 

Jimbo knew he only had two scholarship QBs entering the last off season. He recruited one guy and now has 3 scholarship QBs, but moved his sole QB in the class to TE over the summer. 

My gripe is that he willingly entered the season with TWO scholarship QBs. Why move your freshman recruit to TE so early? If he was THAT bad then what were you thinking taking him as your sole QB in the class. And secondly, why not leave him taking qb reps at least this season just in case you needed a 3rd qb (which they have) and then move him to TE in the off season when Weigman arrives... 

I am not saying it really matters much in the grand scheme of things and A&M likely only wins one more game (arkansas) because of this, but its still enough that it ticks me off at how it was handled. 

There was a rumor after the Orange Bowl that A&M was bringing in a transfer QB. What ever happened to that? A veteran presence would have been nice to have with two potential first year starters.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Maybe Jimbo wanted him as a TE the whole time and just told the kid he “try” QB to get him in the door.

18 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Maybe Jimbo wanted him as a TE the whole time and just told the kid he “try” QB to get him in the door.

Its possible. The kid is an incredible athlete and supposedly is taking very well to the position. But he was not a 3 star you take a flyer on. He was a fairly high rated QB that many schools were after. And TE is a position A&M is and has recruited extremely well. I just think if your scenario was how it actually went down he should have taken another QB. 

40 minutes ago, Stoney said:

There was a rumor after the Orange Bowl that A&M was bringing in a transfer QB. What ever happened to that? A veteran presence would have been nice to have with two potential first year starters.

I remember hearing something about the Hawaii starter from last year was supposed to be transferring in. Not really sure what happened with that. 

The facts are, QB single handedly cost A&M two games this year. Calzada is 125 out of 130 division 1 starters in adjusted QBR.  Yes I understand he played decent against bama, but A&M is probably 11-1 and still in the playoff hunt with just about anyone but calzada starting... 

17 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I remember hearing something about the Hawaii starter from last year was supposed to be transferring in. Not really sure what happened with that. 

The facts are, QB single handedly cost A&M two games this year. Calzada is 125 out of 130 division 1 starters in adjusted QBR.  Yes I understand he played decent against bama, but A&M is probably 11-1 and still in the playoff hunt with just about anyone but calzada starting... 

The Arkansas game hurts. 17-3 halftime, 17-10 in the 3rd. We get away from Spiller and put the ball in Calzada’s hands. Which basically is what happened against Ole Miss. Achane getting close to 10ypc and we go incomplete, interception with a chance to tie the game. What coulda been.

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The Arkansas game hurts. 17-3 halftime, 17-10 in the 3rd. We get away from Spiller and put the ball in Calzada’s hands. Which basically is what happened against Ole Miss. Achane getting close to 10ypc and we go incomplete, interception with a chance to tie the game. What coulda been.

You could have called the game the exact same way but had ANYONE else at QB and you win. Because anyone with a brain takes the 3-8 yards they were giving up until they get out of dropping 8. Calzada was single handedly responsible for that loss. 

3 different times this year teams got in a 3 man front and dropped 8 majority of the time and all 3 times A&M couldn't do anything against it. Even the running game couldn't get going which is crazy to me. Jimbo really struggled against that look this year and I'm not sure if its specifically calzada or a young oline or what. 

• Like 1

That arkansas game I wonder if that converted TE could have played and just pretty much been a wildcat. If nothing else just get arkansas adjust and then see what happens. Thats specifically the game that has me so mad about the lack of QB depth. 

There were a few times Saturday I felt like Calzada was about the 20th best player on the field. Against Prairie View that ain’t good. Can’t get past 1st read, pocket presence, while it has gotten better with the whole ‘hot feet’ method, is still atrocious. He frustrates you so much because he can’t throw a simple swing to a RB, but can make those back foot dots to Smith against Bama and Moose this past weekend. For what seems like 90% of A&M fans, they’re ok with it all because he beat Bama. I do think some of it has been the revolving door of receivers due to injuries, the fact that our receivers aren’t that good, and Wydermeyer drops 20% of the balls his way. But I’m not sold on King either. He obviously has the wheels, but his decision making has always been his Achilles heel. Excited for the future nonetheless. 

1 minute ago, justafan903 said:

There were a few times Saturday I felt like Calzada was about the 20th best player on the field. Against Prairie View that ain’t good. Can’t get past 1st read, pocket presence, while it has gotten better with the whole ‘hot feet’ method, is still atrocious. He frustrates you so much because he can’t throw a simple swing to a RB, but can make those back foot dots to Smith against Bama and Moose this past weekend. For what seems like 90% of A&M fans, they’re ok with it all because he beat Bama. I do think some of it has been the revolving door of receivers due to injuries, the fact that our receivers aren’t that good, and Wydermeyer drops 20% of the balls his way. But I’m not sold on King either. He obviously has the wheels, but his decision making has always been his Achilles heel. Excited for the future nonetheless. 

I don't think there are very many A&M fans who want Calzada to be the starter next year. He has earned his time in the sun because of his toughness, but I'll be shocked if he is even on the roster next year. My guess would be he transfers out in the summer after King and Weigman get spring ball to show they are solid. And then of course its the same song and dance next year with just two QBs and what if they get hurt type scenarios. 

I absolutely agree WR and TE play has played a factor in this, but its mostly calzada from what I've seen. Yes some passes should have been caught but some of those were just lasers for no reason. Its not as easy as people make it sound to turn your head out of a break and have a 60mph dart about a foot above your head as soon as your eyes readjust. 

3 hours ago, Lions70 said:

Game kinda of concerns . 

1. @ LSU ( Ags never won there ) since the 90s.

2. Coach O last game 

3. A win and they’re bowl eligible 

4. It is A&M 

5. Which offense shows up. 

I will take the Aggies but they should be on upset alert. 

Outback or Citrus bowl is on the line I believe. I imagine Texas bowl or something like that with a loss. Maybe @WETSUcan clear that up.

I picked LSU but its only bc I want realistic upsets to gain ground in the pick ems 

I hope now we can move on from the swamp kitties pouting about the calls in that OT game. They got their favor back tonight. That was outrageous the forward progress call on the strip. Also got away with a hell of a push off on that play that you could see from space... 

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P locked this topic