👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

We only had 2 scholarship QBs this season? King and Calzada? How with the portal and the larger class did that happen? Hindsight’s hindsight but it might have been nice to have had a 3rd guy just in case one QB went down and the other wasn’t quite ready to takeover. 

51 minutes ago, Stoney said:

We only had 2 scholarship QBs this season? King and Calzada? How with the portal and the larger class did that happen? Hindsight’s hindsight but it might have been nice to have had a 3rd guy just in case one QB went down and the other wasn’t quite ready to takeover. 

Its hard to get anyone to come be a third option. There's probably only a handful of teams in the entire country that wouldn't see significant dropoff if they went from QB1 to QB2. There's not a single team in the country that could salvage a season with QB3. Nobody has that sort of depth anymore at the position thanks to the portal.

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The “better luck next year” was more to the point of the NCAA giving you the finger.  That’s essentially what they tell you when they review these official’s calls

Ooohhh then my apologies!

Congrats on the win, good luck in the bowl, and I hope you guys get your coaching situation sorted out. Even though he left here for there, I really like Scott Woodward and figure he'll make a great hire for you guys. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Its hard to get anyone to come be a third option. There's probably only a handful of teams in the entire country that wouldn't see significant dropoff if they went from QB1 to QB2. There's not a single team in the country that could salvage a season with QB3. Nobody has that sort of depth anymore at the position thanks to the portal.

Yep. If a guy is set to be a #3 or even a #2 in many cases, the portal is easy to hop into. So teams can't really keep a viable backup option. That may be why Jimbo was converting Stowers to TE- because he knew that keeping Stowers as a third string QB might make him look elsewhere. It's kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't at this point. 

13 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yep. If a guy is set to be a #3 or even a #2 in many cases, the portal is easy to hop into. So teams can't really keep a viable backup option. That may be why Jimbo was converting Stowers to TE- because he knew that keeping Stowers as a third string QB might make him look elsewhere. It's kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't at this point. 

Yea thats very likely. He must see a lot of potential in him at TE because TE is a position that A&M has recruited well at over the last few classes. Some injuries but overall some very good players. 

18 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ooohhh then my apologies!

Congrats on the win, good luck in the bowl, and I hope you guys get your coaching situation sorted out. Even though he left here for there, I really like Scott Woodward and figure he'll make a great hire for you guys. 

Every thing that I am reading says LSU is going to offer Jimbo $12-13 mil to leave forcing A&M to match it or lose him

19 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Every thing that I am reading says LSU is going to offer Jimbo $12-13 mil to leave forcing A&M to match it or lose him

message board chatter... Jimbo is not taking the LSU job. A&M doesn't even have to match 12-13mil. 

27 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Yea thats very likely. He must see a lot of potential in him at TE because TE is a position that A&M has recruited well at over the last few classes. Some injuries but overall some very good players. 

A&M has recruited and developed TEs. Sternberger wasn't a highly-sought after guy, but he got himself an NFL deal through Jimbo. I wonder if that was what was pitched to Stowers. 

28 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I mean would A&M have to match it, though? If you're making $9 million a year, what is another $3 million, honestly? Also, Jimbo seems far more motivated by facilities and support of fans/alumns, not compensation. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean would A&M have to match it, though? If you're making $9 million a year, what is another $3 million, honestly? Also, Jimbo seems far more motivated by facilities and support of fans/alumns, not compensation. 

This. A&M has an indoor facility coming that will expand on their already top 5 facilities. His staff is paid very well and he's in the hunt for the number 1 class. 

He's not leaving A&M nor strong arming them for another 3 mil just because LSU came sniffing. Thats what his initial raise was for earlier this season. 

35 minutes ago, WETSU said:

message board chatter... Jimbo is not taking the LSU job. A&M doesn't even have to match 12-13mil. 

It's legit new sources reporting this.  I've said all along that I don't think he is leaving, but it sounds like Woodward isn't giving up until he is told no officially by Jimbo and his people.  Also keep seeing Bill O'Brian (do you want to see me pissed?) and Mark Stoops (who I would be ok with).

• LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It's legit new sources reporting this.  I've said all along that I don't think he is leaving, but it sounds like Woodward isn't giving up until he is told no officially by Jimbo and his people.  Also keep seeing Bill O'Brian (do you want to see me pissed?) and Mark Stoops (who I would be ok with).

Who? And what are their sources? But yeah, Mark Stoops would be infinitely better than Bill O'Brian. 

9 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It kind of helped too that the other serious suitors were dumpster fires all fall.

Bama snuck in late. Also if this was a one off I get it, but they are likely going to land several 5 stars. I think this was just a great job by the staff. 

• Mr. P locked this topic