👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

28 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Jimbo flexed on everyone this year.

Perroni said he signed Wednesday. 2nd highest class of all time. A&M adds 1 player in February and we have the record. Every position of this class is stacked. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

That’s Perkins. Honestly out of this amazing class, I think I’m most excited about Perkins. His film is unbelievable. 

He’s a freak at LB. He could also be our best RB in this class. That’s the crazy thing. Whoever gets the nod at DC is getting a ton of talent at all 3 levels. 

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

Not excited about this. I wonder if A&M will target another zone blocking scheme guy or go back to more of what Jim Turner use to use which was let’s put a hat on a hat and bully you. 

Jimbo already won by keeping this from getting out before Dec. 15.

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I bet Henson had conversations with USC prior to signing day but this wasn’t Riley’s first or second choice. 

He has struggled to fill his staff, he thought Bedanbaugh was coming with him, then it was reported he was taking OC/OL from Houston, now he’s turned to Henson. 

Im not trying to knock Henson just pointing out Riley’s struggles and showing that Henson may have been all A&M at signing day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Agreed. 

Gig’Em is reporting that Jimbo personally reached out to the players and commits that Henson was leaving before the news broke. Nowadays that’s kind of an unusual deal. There’s some good names out there. The Michigan OL coach has a done a pretty good job. He’s making like $500,000. He might could get a bump if he heads south. 

Tarp- 

Josh Henson arrived in Aggieland with much fanfare prior to the 2019 season both as a recruiter and as an OL coach. He also seemed to be a great fit in terms of meshing with Jimbo Fisher since both had worked together at prior stops. However, A&M"s pass pro remained an issue while the run game was worse. It was a combination of scheme (A&M had been a man/gap blocking team that used counter and power to great effect the year before), youth (three freshmen in the OL, TE, and RB), injuries (projected starting center Ryan McCollum had to become a backup).

2020 was a different story with four seniors and a consensus All American up front. A&M ran the ball well on inside zone and picked people up on pass pro no matter what blitz or stunts were thrown at them. 

In 2021, Henson was coming into the season missing four starters, had to deal with injuries again (at one point A&M went five straight weeks with a different starting OL combo), and wound up starting two true freshman in the OL. A&M's pass pro wasn't very good but the Aggies did run the ball well enough to be functional in some games. 

With all of that said, we had posted on the board after the 2019 campaign that outside sources had told us that Henson was looking around. However, no one ever ever bit on him and he remained at A&M.

This time around, no one saw this potential move coming. However, we were also told after the 2019 season that Henson wanted to make the move back to being a co-OC (which he was at Missouri when they were winning SEC East titles in 2013 and 2014). USC represented an opportunity for him to do so, an opportunity that was blocked at A&M with Fisher being a play caller and Darrell Dickey carrying the title of OC.

So there you go. We'll have more on this later.

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Gig’Em is reporting that Jimbo personally reached out to the players and commits that Henson was leaving before the news broke. Nowadays that’s kind of an unusual deal. There’s some good names out there. The Michigan OL coach has a done a pretty good job. He’s making like $500,000. He might could get a bump if he heads south. 

Still after signing day though lol.

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I am thinking this played a role in the sudden change of heart from banks to sign earlier and why A&M was left out of the top 2 for Goodwin despite many thinking A&M led entering the final weekend. 

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

The Michigan O-line coach was #1 on my list for Oklahoma if Bedenbaugh went to USC. 

Moore played at Oklahoma for Stoops. He is from Kansas.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I am thinking this played a role in the sudden change of heart from banks to sign earlier and why A&M was left out of the top 2 for Goodwin despite many thinking A&M led entering the final weekend. 

That makes sense. Being in it for Goodwin and then, poof he gone. I’m more interested in who takes over the OL than I am the DC. Gap or Zone blocking? Big maulers or guys who can move? The ability to fix an o-line on the fly. 

Tarp- 

The late night departure of Texas A&M offensive line coach Josh Henson to USC means that head coach Jimbo Fisher will be looking to fill a second spot on his staff (defensive coordinator Mike Elko left to become the head coach of Duke last week). However, with no shortage of salary money and a group that returns three starters from the 2021 unit (plus a number of four star products in the pipeline behind them), the Fisher shouldn't have an issue finding someone highly qualified to take the reins. Here's a look at some high profile names that could make a move to College Station.

LSU offensive line coach Brad Davis: Davis came over to LSU right before the 2021 season began from Arkansas due to the hasty departure of James Clegg and did what he could with a combination of grad transfers and younger players. His group struggled in every aspect of the game but that was to be expected given their youth and lack of material. Davis was a graduate assistant at A&M in 2006-07 and so his name will be linked to the job moreso than most. He's highly thought of to the extent that he's the interim head coach for the Tigers in their bowl game after the departure of Ed Orgeron and it's been announced that the Baton Rouge native will be on the staff of new LSU boss Brian Kelly.

Oklahoma offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh: The opening at A&M that was created by Henson's departure was in turn created in part by the fact that Bedenbaugh didn't want to follow Lincoln Riley out to Los Angeles. His groups have annually allowed the Sooners to be among the nation's leaders in total offense because they're tasked with holding their blocks longer to facilitate the downfield passing game.

Notre Dame offensive line coach Jeff Quinn:Quinn has been with Kelly for 29 years dating back to Kelly's time at Grand Valley State but most people don't think he'll hang around in South Bend for next year. His groups are physical and have usually enabled the Irish to field competent offenses (even though they haven't been explosive ones). It's also more difficult than you think to recruit people to Notre Dame given its academic restrictions.

New York Giants offensive line coach Rob Sale: He's only been with the franchise for a year but Joe Judge's long term future in the Big Apple isn't exactly a given due to less than impressive results on the field and the departure of general manager Dave Gettleman (who brought Judge there). Sale was on Billy Napier's staff at Louisiana which has had some of the better units in the Sun Belt and he played at LSU when Fisher was on staff there.

Ohio State offensive line coach Greg Studrawa: He was the offensive line coach at LSU from 2007-2013 although he wasn't retained by then head coach Les Miles. His units have been physically dominant for the most part in Columbus, ranking high in rushing offense and sacks allowed for an attack that likes to get the ball downfield in the passing game.

13 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The Michigan O-line coach was #1 on my list for Oklahoma if Bedenbaugh went to USC. 

Moore played at Oklahoma for Stoops. He is from Kansas.

Tarp has Bedenbaugh on his wish list for A&M. OU has always seemed to have a good o-line. 

Bob Sale makes sense to me, but when could he get away from the Giants? And how long would Jimbo leave the spot open.

I don’t know. The way the Giants season is going he might could bounce early?

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

That seems odd according to this guy. I laughed...

May be a Twitter screenshot of 2 people and text that says 'Will Baizer liked Bryce Foster Shut up... 61 @BryceFoster5 13h @BryceFoster5· 12/6/21 Bryce Foster Of all my top 5 schools, the only coach that has stayed true to his word is here at Texas A&M. I really made the right choice to go here. Thanking God! 82 86 1,270'

• Mr. P locked this topic