👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

I thought it took only 22 players to play a football game. 11 on offense and 11 on defense. While maybe the NCAA won't allow A&M to play because of a virus. Do you really think that the higher ups wanted to play in a major bowl game with about 1/2 their starters. 

BTW--Coaches don't get paid for recruiting down the road--and beating 2 Alabama teams this year looks great when compared you lost to 2 Mississippi Teams, an Arkansas Team and a Louisiana team. But again, in simplistic terms, Jimbo got paided $1.25 million per victory this year. And Coaches get hired and fired based on Wins and Losses, not how many kids they recruit, not how many kids get into the NFL, or whatever other bs you would like to spew for A&M not playing wanting to play in the bowl game this year. 

1. It only takes 11 to play a game if guys play both ways, but you clearly don't know the modern game of college football (as if THAT was in question...) if you think a team with 13 defensive players (and not even enough to field a four-man defensive line) is legit going to play a game and not risk serious injury. This isn't NCAA Football on playstation where we can just throw a defensive back at defensive end. Other teams have had similar issues. Sorry to burst your little bubble. 

2. The NCAA won’t let us play  what A&M “wants” (or whatever you’re making up in your head that we want) is irrelevant 

3. Do you not see how recruiting leads to more wins/losses? Again, you're looking at a very simple world view if you're looking strictly at wins/losses in one season where A&M had several guys out due to injury throughout the season. If you want to look at wins/losses in a vacuum for some big gotcha moment, and say "$1.25 million per win!" then go for it. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just shows the state of our program that haters have to search so much for the slightest thing to claim victory over. 

4. Coaches get hired/fired based on wins and losses, but also the trajectory of their program, recruiting, and so many other things. Athletic Directors don't have the simplistic view you do.  If you don't understand this, then there really isn't any point in trying to convince you. Most A&M fans aren't satisfied with this season in after all the injuries and such (especially after the Orange Bowl winning season last year), but are very satisfied with the direction our program is going. Again, if you wanna cite your little "$1.25 million per win" talking point to try and make us feel bad about Jimbo (as if any of us paid the $9 milloin for him), go for it. People with critical thinking skills know better. :)

• Like 1
  • SMH 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:48 AM, country said:

Rumor is the virus is just the excuse for A&M pulling out.

Players revolted at playing.

I believe that to be true.  If they had a loss it would knock them out of the top 25.  I'm not sure if Jimbo has a clause in his contract for a bonus if the Aggies finish in the top 25, but that's reason enough right there.  A&M is supposedly the home of the 12th man, but they can't field a team ?  Give me a break.  As one of my friends said the other day If Paul "Bear" Bryant was coaching he would take 11 of those Junction Boys to the Gator Bowl.  

39 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I believe that to be true.  If they had a loss it would knock them out of the top 25.  I'm not sure if Jimbo has a clause in his contract for a bonus if the Aggies finish in the top 25, but that's reason enough right there.  A&M is supposedly the home of the 12th man, but they can't field a team ?  Give me a break.  As one of my friends said the other day If Paul "Bear" Bryant was coaching he would take 11 of those Junction Boys to the Gator Bowl.  

Maybe. But it’s not 1957 any more. You don’t have teams of guys playing both ways across the board any more. 

You talk about 12th man. Do you legit think A&M should just grab random students and have them play? Or that A&M should have existing players play out of position? Like do you really believe that?

Also, do you really think Jimbo would be trying to get a “bonus” for finishing top 25 (which doesn’t exist in his contract) when he already makes $9 million a year? That’s reason enough for you? 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Maybe. But it’s not 1957 any more. 

You talk about 12th man. Do you legit think A&M should just grab random students and have them play? Or that A&M should have existing players play out of position? Like do you really believe that?

Also, do you really think Jimbo would be trying to get a “bonus” for finishing top 25 (which doesn’t exist in his contract) when he already makes $9 million a year? That’s reason enough for you? 😂😂😂

So players are now smaller and weaker than they were in 1957, okay gotcha.  I'm sure kids have already played multiple positions in the past.  Players do it all the time.  Some play positions in college and then switch positions even today.  You even see it on the NFL level with some players.  Back in the day, substitutions were rarely allowed, and many players would play both sides of the ball.  Two notable modern day football players that I can remember in recent history are Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson.  In the NFL Deion Sanders.  It sounds like an excuse to me. 

He did lose out on a $100,000 bonus for not making a bowl appearance.  I just looked up his contract details, but finishing in the top 25 does give A&M more prominence in recruiting.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

So players are now smaller and weaker than they were in 1957, okay gotcha.  I'm sure kids have already played multiple positions in the past.  Players do it all the time.  Some play positions in college and then switch positions even today.  You even see it on the NFL level with some players.  Back in the day, substitutions were rarely allowed, and many players would play both sides of the ball.  Two notable modern day football players that I can remember in recent history are Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson.  In the NFL Deion Sanders.  It sounds like an excuse to me. 

He did lose out on a $100,000 bonus for not making a bowl appearance.  I just looked up his contract details, but finishing in the top 25 does give A&M more prominence in recruiting.  

1. No. Players are bigger and faster. And they're more specialized. That kills the talk of any random student playing in a game, since you're talking about 12th Man. A student isn't the same as an athlete that's been training for years. And one athlete training to play one position isn't the same as them playing another position. 

2. Yes, "back in the day" substitutions weren't allowed so guys played both ways. Hence me saying, "It's not 1957 any more", genius. 

3. Players do it "all the time"? You named 3 guys, none who have played a down of football in the last 8 years. If it happens all the time, you wouldn't need to dig back to the 80s and 90s to find players who have done it. You'd be asking half of A&M's team to do that, not a player here or there. 

3. b. Those were all defensive back/receiver players. No linemen have played both sides, nor have linebackers in a very long time. 

4. A&M has the #1 class in recruiting by far. You think they need to "game the system" by skipping a bowl game, something that multiple teams have now done? Also, Jimbo skipping the bowl game makes him miss out on $100k. Which is funny because you were claiming that he was trying to game the system to MAKE more money. Hilarious. 

5. The NCAA said we can't play, not A&M. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Okay, so why didn’t all those colleges that opted out last year because of Covid fill out their teams with normal college students? Why didn’t Texas go to the student body when Card/Thompson were having their struggles? C’mon guys. Make the easy joke about “the 12th man” and move on. 

15 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Okay, so why didn’t all those colleges that opted out last year because of Covid fill out their teams with normal college students? Why didn’t Texas go to the student body when Card/Thompson were having their struggles? C’mon guys. Make the easy joke about “the 12th man” and move on. 

No no... I think this is funny to see people legitimately argue that in this day and age A&M should throw random guys into different positions so as to save face. The things they're coming up with are hilarious. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

No no... I think this is funny to see people legitimately argue that in this day and age A&M should throw random guys into different positions so as to save face. The things they're coming up with are hilarious. 

I agree. By their reasoning, whoever’s in the Rowdy costume needs to suit up at QB for Dallas when Dak is out. 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The NCAA rules that a team must field a roster of at least 53. A&M has 38. 

A&M has multiple preferred walkons(treated like scholarship players) and walkons who work out with the team every day……they could field 53 if they wanted

I understand not wanting to play without a quarterback though

• Like 1

Its called damage control. Attack anyone that questions what going on and twist their words to fit your argument.

Lots of politicians use the same tactic along with corporations and even Hitler did so to gain control.

Who made the ultimate decision not to play?

How many players were out due to flu?

• Like 1

Hawaii had to pull out of their bowl game. In Hawaii. Todd Graham was on the cusp of a $60,000 bonus. They had 30 players and staff test positive. According to the argument on here, Hawaii should have pulled from the student body anyone willing to practice and play against D1 athletes. Kinda like this dude. Is Covid an easy way for government to get people to turn over aspects of their freedom in the name of security? Yes. Is it unfortunate that the NCAA has in place Covid testing measures during flu season that can red flag athletes? Yes. Do people really, truly deep down believe that teams don’t want to play games? Especially after last year when 2 conferences sat out the season due to Covid? 

7DC7A93D-C1E9-40E6-97F6-386FCB97B338.jpeg 

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/24/hawaii-bowl-canceled-coronavirus-outbreak

1 hour ago, country said:

Its called damage control. Attack anyone that questions what going on and twist their words to fit your argument.

Lots of politicians use the same tactic along with corporations and even Hitler did so to gain control.

Country, you are spot on. 100%. The couple of Aggie homers on this board do the same thing over and over when you don't agree with their maroon narrative. They resort to ridicule and name calling. You would think they are maybe high school kids, but have been doing it the 10+ years i have been on here. They won't answer your questions and will attack you personally when you don't bow down to the almighty championship winning Aggies. Smh...

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Hawaii had to pull out of their bowl game. In Hawaii. Todd Graham was on the cusp of a $60,000 bonus. They had 30 players and staff test positive. According to the argument on here, Hawaii should have pulled from the student body anyone willing to practice and play against D1 athletes. Kinda like this dude. Is Covid an easy way for government to get people to turn over aspects of their freedom in the name of security? Yes. Is it unfortunate that the NCAA has in place Covid testing measures during flu season that can red flag athletes? Yes. Do people really, truly deep down believe that teams don’t want to play games? Especially after last year when 2 conferences sat out the season due to Covid? 

7DC7A93D-C1E9-40E6-97F6-386FCB97B338.jpegtoney 

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/24/hawaii-bowl-canceled-coronavirus-outbreak

Stoney, how many Aggie players are out with Covid? If it's 30 players then I agree with you. 

20 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Stoney, how many Aggie players are out with Covid? If it's 30 players then I agree with you. 

I haven’t seen anything official. Just some numbers thrown around by a couple different sources. My personal opinions on Covid and actively hunting for it during flu season is one thing. It’s pretty convenient to see a huge increase in numbers. If the numbers being reported are true and I’m just taking them on face value that they are it would be an interesting ball game if it took place. 

The numbers according to Bjork:

40 guys out due to Covid, opt out, season ending injuries. 

I know Leon O’Neal, DeMarvin Leal, Kenyon Green and Jalen Wydermeyer went pro. So that’s your opt outs. I could be missing some guys. 

Injury report has 8 guys for sure who were done for the season injury wise. 9 if you count Calzada having shoulder surgery and in the portal. 

Rough estimate of maybe 20+ guys with Covid/flu?

38 scholarship players

20 of those are lineman

13 players at RB, WR, DB

Numbers were bad enough that Haynes King was trying to be rushed back into action. Heck, even Ainias Smith was being mentioned as the potential starting QB. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/football/texas-a-m-pulls-out-of-gator-bowl-because-of-dwindling-numbers-covid-19-issues/article_ec90dfda-6394-11ec-b68c-c79b29a29d04.amp.html

2CAF2171-FB70-407F-BED3-AB28EE1275D1.png

19 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

. Again, if you wanna cite your little "$1.25 million per win" talking point to try and make us feel bad about Jimbo (as if any of us paid the $9 milloin for him), go for it. People with critical thinking skills know better. :)

Million--not milloin. 

And you don't think that taxpayers help pay the salary that gets you 8 wins a season. Then you don't live in reality either. Because A&M is a STATE supported school, so anyone that pays any sales tax or property taxes in the state of Texas is a helping pay that salary. Plus, his retirement is part of the TRS system, which he will get a great retirement from. But then again, none of us pay for his $1.25 million dollars a victory this year. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/jimbo-fisher-1.html

But let's be happy about a guy who in 4 years wins a average of 8 games per year--and the 2-9 win seasons were after a bowl game victory, but the good thing is, A&M is always going to win 8 regular season games under Fisher, get to a bowl game, get those $$$$. So if A&M is happy with that, then, we all know that they satisfied with being just a middle of the road SEC team. 

5 hours ago, country said:

Lmao now you’re calling us Nazis? Your victimhood complex is hilarious. 

5 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Million--not milloin. 

And you don't think that taxpayers help pay the salary that gets you 8 wins a season. Then you don't live in reality either. Because A&M is a STATE supported school, so anyone that pays any sales tax or property taxes in the state of Texas is a helping pay that salary. Plus, his retirement is part of the TRS system, which he will get a great retirement from. But then again, none of us pay for his $1.25 million dollars a victory this year. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/jimbo-fisher-1.html

But let's be happy about a guy who in 4 years wins a average of 8 games per year--and the 2-9 win seasons were after a bowl game victory, but the good thing is, A&M is always going to win 8 regular season games under Fisher, get to a bowl game, get those $$$$. So if A&M is happy with that, then, we all know that they satisfied with being just a middle of the road SEC team. 

Your previous post said “paided” if you want to talk about typos. 

What part of “most A&M fans aren’t satisfied” did you not understand? I clearly said most aren’t satisfied with this season but are excited where the team is headed. Did that escape you?

A&M, the school, is supported by the state. Athletics is self sustaining (aside from a loan taken out in 2009 which has been paid back). Taxpayer money is not going to Athletics or Jimbo’s salary. This is public information you could have easily looked up so that you don’t embarrass yourself  

Not only that, but Jimbo is contributing to TRS. You understand how TRS works, right? You contribute to it and then that money gets invested and such as part of a big pot and then paid out to people based on their salaries and how much they contribute/how long they work. He’s contributing to it and will take out of it whenever he’s retired. He’s not mooching off of it.

You really don’t have a clue, do you? I mean I knew you didn’t know how things worked but you clearly need to learn more if you hope to discuss this kinda stuff and have facts right. 

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

I’ve learned all I need to. Some of you of football IQs worse than JV cheerleaders and will literally slander and lie to make you feel better about your own pathetic programs. 

Not just football. This dude doesn’t understand how college athletics make money, nor does he understand TRS. Which is funny because he thought he had another gotcha moment that blew up in his face. 😂😂😂

• Like 1

Serious question here guys: what’s your thoughts on some players being able to redshirt this year because there is no bowl game? I really think it’s just another Pandora’s Box to ruin the game. 
I feel like the cancellations this year is showing the NCAA we don’t need all these bowl games that are literally not taken seriously like previous years and could lead to a bigger playoff tournament. 

• Mr. P locked this topic