👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Since 2018

Team A 34-14

3, 7, 2, 3 conference finish

Team B 30-19

2, 3, 3, 7 conference finish

Actually it's 5th this year. Arkansas and Miss St. hold the tiebreakers.

SEC - West

CONF OVERALL HOME ROAD NEUTRAL PF PA STRK
333.png&w=250&h=250&transparent=true Alabama 7-1 12-1 7-0 3-1 2-0 553 263 W7
145.png&w=250&h=250&transparent=true Ole Miss 6-2 10-2 7-0 2-2 1-0 431 300 W4
8.png&w=250&h=250&transparent=true Arkansas 4-4 8-4 6-1 1-3 1-0 378 288 W1
344.png&w=250&h=250&transparent=true Mississippi State 4-4 7-5 4-3 3-2 0-0 371 303 L1
245.png&w=250&h=250&transparent=true Texas A&M 4-4 8-4 6-1 1-2 1-1 352 191 L1
2.png&w=250&h=250&transparent=true Auburn 3-5 6-6 4-3 2-3 0-0 355 266 L4
99.png&w=250&h=250&transparent=true LSU 3-5 6-6 5-2 1-4 0-0 325 304 W2

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

Serious question here guys: what’s your thoughts on some players being able to redshirt this year because there is no bowl game? I really think it’s just another Pandora’s Box to ruin the game. 
I feel like the cancellations this year is showing the NCAA we don’t need all these bowl games that are literally not taken seriously like previous years and could lead to a bigger playoff tournament. 

Redshirt days are gone for most elite teams. If you’re not good enough to leave in year 3 or 4 you’re gonna get passed by someone who is. You rarely see any 5 year difference makers on title contenders anymore. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Serious question here guys: what’s your thoughts on some players being able to redshirt this year because there is no bowl game? I really think it’s just another Pandora’s Box to ruin the game. 
I feel like the cancellations this year is showing the NCAA we don’t need all these bowl games that are literally not taken seriously like previous years and could lead to a bigger playoff tournament. 

I’m trying to wrap my head around a guy from the 2017 class who never redshirted has played 5 years and from my understanding could come back for a 6th year. I think there are way too many bowl games. 6-6, 5-7 can be rewarded. I think that’s going to handle itself in the post OU/Texas SEC. Notre Dame attaching itself to the ACC was the start. The big schools are going to breakaway from the smaller, less revenue generating conferences and create a behemoth. An 8 to 16 team playoff would rake in bocoup bucks for everyone involved. That’s going to put more emphasis on NIL money from boosters to make sure they are a have, not a have not. The NCAA can’t put the genie back in the bottle now. If  school A is giving out $20k for WRs, why wouldn’t Team B offer $25k? Does that stud freshman stay for $25k or bounce to the portal for $100,000? This is student athletes stuff anymore. This is minor league football.

21 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Redshirt days are gone for most elite teams. If you’re not good enough to leave in year 3 or 4 you’re gonna get passed by someone who is. You rarely see any 5 year difference makers on title contenders anymore. 

I agree for the most part. Wasn’t there a few Aggies that took advantage of the COVID year? 

13 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I agree for the most part. Wasn’t there a few Aggies that took advantage of the COVID year? 

I’m trying to think who would’ve. Maybe Leon O’Neal? I know we had several baseball players do so. Funny cause it didn’t help us at all 😂

To your question, I think it’s stupid if this affects anyone’s redshirt ability. Then again I think there should be about 8-10 bowls and they should be rewards for having a big season, not winning 5-6 games. 

I know Myles Jones took advantage of the Covid year to come back. Jayden Peevy. Craziest was Elijah Blades. Dude had one kinda good but injured year. Was going to come back for Covid. Then transfers out. Then I think he transfers out of the school where he went. 

38 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

The number we’ve heard thrown around was 32 ‘22 kids including transfer ports guys in. That’s what we were taking. We’re going to have a good bit of guys hitting the portal, medically retiring, coming off the 85 number to get there.

On 12/25/2021 at 6:38 PM, JohnnyFootball said:

1. No. Players are bigger and faster. And they're more specialized. That kills the talk of any random student playing in a game, since you're talking about 12th Man. A student isn't the same as an athlete that's been training for years. And one athlete training to play one position isn't the same as them playing another position. 

2. Yes, "back in the day" substitutions weren't allowed so guys played both ways. Hence me saying, "It's not 1957 any more", genius. 

3. Players do it "all the time"? You named 3 guys, none who have played a down of football in the last 8 years. If it happens all the time, you wouldn't need to dig back to the 80s and 90s to find players who have done it. You'd be asking half of A&M's team to do that, not a player here or there. 

3. b. Those were all defensive back/receiver players. No linemen have played both sides, nor have linebackers in a very long time. 

4. A&M has the #1 class in recruiting by far. You think they need to "game the system" by skipping a bowl game, something that multiple teams have now done? Also, Jimbo skipping the bowl game makes him miss out on $100k. Which is funny because you were claiming that he was trying to game the system to MAKE more money. Hilarious. 

5. The NCAA said we can't play, not A&M. Hope that helps. 

1.  Bring 'em.  It's a cop out in my opinion. 

2.  They were doing until 1964, but some teams still had two way players.

3. I didn't dig, I just remembered those players were two way stars. 

3b.  They still do in High School, why not college ?  Afraid of injuries ?

4.  That's this year, not next year.  I didn't read his contract bonuses until you mentioned it.  

5.  You're wrong.  A&M said they wouldn't be able to play, because of not enough scholarship players.  They didn't have enough walk on's ?  Texas A&M won't play in Gator Bowl due to COVID-19 issues (chron.com)

23 hours ago, Stoney said:

I agree. By their reasoning, whoever’s in the Rowdy costume needs to suit up at QB for Dallas when Dak is out. 

Denver used a wide receiver as their quarterback last year.  Charlie Waters was the Cowboys third then fourth string quarterback in the 70's and 80's.  Maybe I'm just old school, but if they had 22 players that wanted to play let them go, and maybe Wake Forest could have finally broke Georgia Tech's 222 pt. margin over Cumberland.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

Denver used a wide receiver as their quarterback last year.  Charlie Waters was the Cowboys third then fourth string quarterback in the 70's and 80's.  Maybe I'm just old school, but if they had 22 players that wanted to play let them go, and maybe Wake Forest could have finally broke Georgia Tech's 222 pt. margin over Cumberland.  

Welp, sorry to deprive you of that. It’s not the 80s or 90s any more. Get with the times or stop watching football if you don’t like it. 🤷

18 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Your previous post said “paided” if you want to talk about typos. 

What part of “most A&M fans aren’t satisfied” did you not understand? I clearly said most aren’t satisfied with this season but are excited where the team is headed. Did that escape you?

A&M, the school, is supported by the state. Athletics is self sustaining (aside from a loan taken out in 2009 which has been paid back). Taxpayer money is not going to Athletics or Jimbo’s salary. This is public information you could have easily looked up so that you don’t embarrass yourself  

Not only that, but Jimbo is contributing to TRS. You understand how TRS works, right? You contribute to it and then that money gets invested and such as part of a big pot and then paid out to people based on their salaries and how much they contribute/how long they work. He’s contributing to it and will take out of it whenever he’s retired. He’s not mooching off of it.

You really don’t have a clue, do you? I mean I knew you didn’t know how things worked but you clearly need to learn more if you hope to discuss this kinda stuff and have facts right. 

Interested in what he has to say about these things. 

22 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Welp, sorry to deprive you of that. It’s not the 80s or 90s any more. Get with the times or stop watching football if you don’t like it. 🤷

Even in the NFL today a player may have played a different position in High School and College, but if they want to make it in the NFL they have to change positions.  Greg Ward from John Tyler and U of Houston comes quickly to mind.  He's still playing wide receiver with Philly.  If you think kids can't do it today then you're wrong.  These teams are just trying to protect their players and their w/l record.  

As we've seen with many other players that are opting out of their bowl games, teams might as well use these bowl games as practices.  Give them some game time opportunity, let them get their swag (I'm sure the Wuhan infected players would receive theirs as well), make it their Christmas break vacation.  Florida would be nice this time of year, and as for SMU they could go to Rockefeller Center enjoy the Big Apple if they're vaccinated.  I'm sure the trips are paid for by the Bowl Games including lodging, meals, and their swag bags.  Then they can come back, and start working on next year.  The money would go to the Conferences to be split among all the teams, and it would be a bigger pay out for all. 

I see opportunity to work for next year, and give some of these players a chance to gain some experience that may not have even played a down all year.  These coaches and universities are just taking a safe route in not finding out what those young men can do on the field in game time situations.  I see it as a mistake.  

8 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Even in the NFL today a player may have played a different position in High School and College, but if they want to make it in the NFL they have to change positions.  Greg Ward from John Tyler and U of Houston comes quickly to mind.  He's still playing wide receiver with Philly.  If you think kids can't do it today then you're wrong.  These teams are just trying to protect their players and their w/l record.  

As we've seen with many other players that are opting out of their bowl games, teams might as well use these bowl games as practices.  Give them some game time opportunity, let them get their swag (I'm sure the Wuhan infected players would receive theirs as well), make it their Christmas break vacation.  Florida would be nice this time of year, and as for SMU they could go to Rockefeller Center enjoy the Big Apple if they're vaccinated.  I'm sure the trips are paid for by the Bowl Games including lodging, meals, and their swag bags.  Then they can come back, and start working on next year.  The money would go to the Conferences to be split among all the teams, and it would be a bigger pay out for all. 

I see opportunity to work for next year, and give some of these players a chance to gain some experience that may not have even played a down all year.  These coaches and universities are just taking a safe route in not finding out what those young men can do on the field in game time situations.  I see it as a mistake.  

Lmao you've named like 4 players, 3 of whom played in the 80s/90s. 

Name me a few offensive linemen that have played different positions? Name me guys who have changed position to play offensive line? Name me defensive players who have changed positions to play defensive tackle? 

Cause see, when you name one player changing position, sure that's happened. But you're asking half a team to do that and play. Name me a team that has done that?  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Lmao you've named like 4 players, 3 of whom played in the 80s/90s. 

Name me a few offensive linemen that have played different positions? Name me guys who have changed position to play offensive line? Name me defensive players who have changed positions to play defensive tackle? 

Cause see, when you name one player changing position, sure that's happened. But you're asking half a team to do that and play. Name me a team that has done that?  

This…. It’s not a big deal for a single WR to play some reps at DB because his team is short handed. It’s a completely different thing when you’re talking about having half your team in a situation where they may need to play both ways or out of position. 

Fort Worth Star Telegram

Enough about A&M and the ‘12th Man’

I don’t ever want to hear about Texas A&M’s “12th Man” again after the Aggies pulled out of the Gator Bowl because “we just don’t have enough scholarship players available to field a team,” according to head coach Jimbo Fisher. (Dec. 23, 1B, “Texas A&M pulls out of Gator Bowl due to COVID-19”)

If the reason for pulling out of the game was a concern for the welfare and safety of the players, then OK. But to say the reason is a lack of “scholarship players” relegates the “12th Man” to meaningless status and ignores the institution’s football history, dating to Jan. 1, 1922, when a student left the stands to suit up for an injury-depleted Aggies team.

- Tom Leferink, Arlington

14 minutes ago, mellon said:

Fort Worth Star Telegram

Enough about A&M and the ‘12th Man’

I don’t ever want to hear about Texas A&M’s “12th Man” again after the Aggies pulled out of the Gator Bowl because “we just don’t have enough scholarship players available to field a team,” according to head coach Jimbo Fisher. (Dec. 23, 1B, “Texas A&M pulls out of Gator Bowl due to COVID-19”)

If the reason for pulling out of the game was a concern for the welfare and safety of the players, then OK. But to say the reason is a lack of “scholarship players” relegates the “12th Man” to meaningless status and ignores the institution’s football history, dating to Jan. 1, 1922, when a student left the stands to suit up for an injury-depleted Aggies team.

- Tom Leferink, Arlington

It’s funny how low Football IQ some people are about this argument. Like I literally question if some of the people on this side of the argument ever played a down…. Some of the comments made on this topic over the last week have either been 5 decades from being true or just comments made by people not capable of understanding what they are saying because they know very little about how the sport actually works. 

Just now, Stoney said:

How’s about this for a name as the new DC/co-DC…….DJ Durkin. Kid died after a heat stroke while he was Maryland’s HC. Players walked out on him. 

Tarp- We understand that Ole Miss co-DC DJ Durkin is one of several candidates for the A&M DC position. We want to emphasize that his name is one of multiple ones out there but he's the first that has really come to light so far. He fit the bill in several ways:

- He operates as a co-DC at Ole Miss.

- He coaches LBs but has coached multiple positions in the past.

- He currently runs a 3-2-6 but he's not married to it. Thus, he would be a fit in terms of continuing to run what A&M currently operates which is more of a 4-2-5.

Ole Miss plays New Year's night in the Sugar Bowl. The Rebels defended A&M very well during their win in November

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Tarp- We understand that Ole Miss co-DC DJ Durkin is one of several candidates for the A&M DC position. We want to emphasize that his name is one of multiple ones out there but he's the first that has really come to light so far. He fit the bill in several ways:

- He operates as a co-DC at Ole Miss.

- He coaches LBs but has coached multiple positions in the past.

- He currently runs a 3-2-6 but he's not married to it. Thus, he would be a fit in terms of continuing to run what A&M currently operates which is more of a 4-2-5.

Ole Miss plays New Year's night in the Sugar Bowl. The Rebels defended A&M very well during their win in November

Not hard to defend Calzada with bad receivers who drop the ball and a banged up OL. 

Ole Miss defense is not good. Dunno if we want him. 

Durkin with this roster would do very well. 

I honestly think the the kid dying is overplayed. This was taken to trial and nothing was found on Durkin. The kid showed up very out of shape and when 100 other guys can complete the workout but you can’t it’s not on the coach it’s on the player. This was a freak accident. Nothing more nothing less. So hiring him should not be a negative. But it is. People that have been die hard Aggies for decades already claiming if they hire “a murderer” they won’t watch a game until he’s gone. I just can’t get behind that type of belief system. That an accident makes the guy a murderer…

either way, I’m not sure he’s the guy but from a pure coaching standpoint he would do well here. But I believe the majority of defensive coaches in the country will. Its talent wise probably a top 5 roster in the country and you have a HC/OC that calls plays in a way that protects the defense. I’m much less worried about this hire than ever before. 

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Durkin with this roster would do very well. 

I honestly think the the kid dying is overplayed. This was taken to trial and nothing was found on Durkin. The kid showed up very out of shape and when 100 other guys can complete the workout but you can’t it’s not on the coach it’s on the player. This was a freak accident. Nothing more nothing less. So hiring him should not be a negative. But it is. People that have been die hard Aggies for decades already claiming if they hire “a murderer” they won’t watch a game until he’s gone. I just can’t get behind that type of belief system. That an accident makes the guy a murderer…

either way, I’m not sure he’s the guy but from a pure coaching standpoint he would do well here. But I believe the majority of defensive coaches in the country will. Its talent wise probably a top 5 roster in the country and you have a HC/OC that calls plays in a way that protects the defense. I’m much less worried about this hire than ever before. 

Any coach with this roster/recruits should do well. Lol

People can say what they want. They talked about not watching if we hired Jimbo because of the Winston stuff. Yet we sell out most games and are atop viewership ratings a lot during the season. 

I can’t remember where I read it but somebody mentioned that co-dc with in house promotions (Santucci/Robinson) with a veteran position coach (safeties) with experience at DC. Give the first timers an experienced hand to help game plan. With the talent this defense has it shouldn’t be hard to put these guys in a position to be a good defense.

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Any coach with this roster/recruits should do well. Lol

People can say what they want. They talked about not watching if we hired Jimbo because of the Winston stuff. Yet we sell out most games and are atop viewership ratings a lot during the season. 

Winning cures just about anything. Always has…

• Mr. P locked this topic