👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Next Jerry Hughes.

I'm not sure how his ability translates to defense... He's a guy thats very good with the ball in his hands but doesnt possess elite athleticism such as speed or change of direction. He just is a solid football player and thats really how to describe him. I'd say more player than athlete. How do you get a guy with ball skills to translate over to defense? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I'm not sure how his ability translates to defense... He's a guy thats very good with the ball in his hands but doesnt possess elite athleticism such as speed or change of direction. He just is a solid football player and thats really how to describe him. I'd say more player than athlete. How do you get a guy with ball skills to translate over to defense? 

You have to talk yourself into that by moving him closer to the line of scrimmage his athleticism will show up more when he isn't as much space.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I don’t know what you do with him, position wise. It’s kind of like Aaron Hansford all over again. Too big for other positions. Not explosive enough for other.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I don’t know what you do with him, position wise. It’s kind of like Aaron Hansford all over again. Too big for other positions. Not explosive enough for other.

From what I've read the NFL scouts love Hansford. But that being said Hansford was a 4 star prospect as a OLB in high school but sumlin let him play WR for who knows why... Shad is different because he's really only got decent film on offense. 

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

You have to talk yourself into that by moving him closer to the line of scrimmage his athleticism will show up more when he isn't as much space.

I think he could do well as a blitz package OLB. I don't think he could handle it every down but probably would be effective screaming through a gap from time to time. 

6 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I see that aTm has fired baseball coach R. Childress

Fired. Not renewed contract. Tomato. Tahmato. 16 years was a good run. Time for somebody else to take over. Still pretty cool that a kid from Harmony wound up coaching at one of the biggest colleges in Texas: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Fired. Not renewed contract. Tomato. Tahmato. 16 years was a good run. Time for somebody else to take over. Still pretty cool that a kid from Harmony wound up coaching at one of the biggest colleges in Texas: 

Regardless of terminology, he’s out.  He had a pretty good run.  I hear the guys at TCU and TxTech will get consideration.  Anybody else you know if?

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Regardless of terminology, he’s out.  He had a pretty good run.  I hear the guys at TCU and TxTech will get consideration.  Anybody else you know if?

Coastal carolina coach will get a look I think. 

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

A few of the sad observations besides the obvious 
Fsu really? 
California 

Arkansas

Tennessee lol

West Virginia and Michigan 

Fisher had a really strong run for a while in florida. 

Stanford has been the best Cali program the past 10 years. Cal was good in the early to mid 2000s then dropped back off. USC after Pete Carroll has been more average then good. 

Arkansas State is a good Sun Belt program. Arkansas has a tough time under Beliema, Morris. Looks like an uptick under Pittman.

Derek Dooley. Butch Jones. Jeremy Pruitt. Not enough McDonald’s bags in the world to solve that problem. 

FSU was really good in the early 2010s, Florida was down after Urban retired. Now FSU is a mess and Mullen seems to have Florida back. The U is up and down.

Those Charlie Strong years really bit us in the butt! That guy had the "### Do I Do" look down to a T when facing tough situations - and the camera ALWAYS found him. Then we hired a Frat boy because he was the next big thing. He did pretty good for the most part, but he was too immature to run a program the size of Texas. 

A&M has had a couple of great years the past decade but let's face it - almost a 1/3 of their wins came from Non-FBS/Non P5 schools. Saying that, the Aggies have still played better than Texas. I just wish we could find a way to play one another again. 

3 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Those Charlie Strong years really bit us in the butt! That guy had the "### Do I Do" look down to a T when facing tough situations - and the camera ALWAYS found him. Then we hired a Frat boy because he was the next big thing. He did pretty good for the most part, but he was too immature to run a program the size of Texas. 

A&M has had a couple of great years the past decade but let's face it - almost a 1/3 of their wins came from Non-FBS/Non P5 schools. Saying that, the Aggies have still played better than Texas. I just wish we could find a way to play one another again. 

If only there was a way to make sure that happens... Okay let's make a deal. A&m will win all its games and Texas can win all its games and meet at the end. Sounds easy enough right? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WETSU said:

If only there was a way to make sure that happens... Okay let's make a deal. A&m will win all its games and Texas can win all its games and meet at the end. Sounds easy enough right? 

If the Aggies are going to do their part there, it probably needs to be this year. I think this is the closest BAMA has been to a full rebuild since Saban took over. And A&M is as loaded as I remember seeing them. 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

If the Aggies are going to do their part there, it probably needs to be this year. I think this is the closest BAMA has been to a full rebuild since Saban took over. And A&M is as loaded as I remember seeing them. 

Good point...  hey Aggies, what's the acceptable floor/ceiling for this coming season? 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I agree, the Aggies should win the SEC this year.  

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Good point...  hey Aggies, what's the acceptable floor/ceiling for this coming season? 

Its always a question mark when you're breaking in a new QB and 4 new offensive line starters. But the defense is on par with anyone in the country and you return maybe next years first RB taken in the draft along with several other guys like Wydermeyer and Achane to help out. 

The ceiling is a national title. The defense is that good and the running game should be enough that if you beat bama at home you're in the drivers seat from there on. 

The floor and acceptable floor are different. Acceptable floor is 11-1 with a close bama loss. The actual floor is 9-3 with an embarrassing loss to bama. This is not hard to see because like I mentioned above starting a new QB and 4 new oline players could be costly. I don't see this happening but its not an absolute stretch by any means. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Its always a question mark when you're breaking in a new QB and 4 new offensive line starters. But the defense is on par with anyone in the country and you return maybe next years first RB taken in the draft along with several other guys like Wydermeyer and Achane to help out. 

The ceiling is a national title. The defense is that good and the running game should be enough that if you beat bama at home you're in the drivers seat from there on. 

The floor and acceptable floor are different. Acceptable floor is 11-1 with a close bama loss. The actual floor is 9-3 with an embarrassing loss to bama. This is not hard to see because like I mentioned above starting a new QB and 4 new oline players could be costly. I don't see this happening but its not an absolute stretch by any means. 

That is all true. 

However, the SEC West is as wide open as I can remember the past decade. Jimbo will be in year 4 with basically guys now. If not this year then when? Are you guys really content to wait out Saban retiring? 

Alabama will have talent, but will be breaking in a new QB along with other positions. 

Auburn just had a coaching change and seems to have kind of taken a talent dip compared to where they were 5-6 years ago. 

LSU was in disarray last season. They have to get a major bounce back season for themselves this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That is all true. 

However, the SEC West is as wide open as I can remember the past decade. Jimbo will be in year 4 with basically guys now. If not this year then when? Are you guys really content to wait out Saban retiring? 

Alabama will have talent, but will be breaking in a new QB along with other positions. 

Auburn just had a coaching change and seems to have kind of taken a talent dip compared to where they were 5-6 years ago. 

LSU was in disarray last season. They have to get a major bounce back season for themselves this year. 

Of course nobody is waiting for saban to retire. But saban has created a machine. Regardless of what they lost they are still loaded and will be in the hunt every year. 

As far as A&M and what they can do to control their destiny... This isn't a "if not now then when" type of year. You can never make that claim when you're starting a rs freshman and 4 new oline. Yes these are jimbos players but from here on out you can expect improvement most years. I believe the 2022 team will be even better than this one with experience at QB. Doesn't mean they aren't good enough to win it now because they absolutely are. But its not a now or never situation either I don't think. But I do think this is the year for the breakthrough. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic