👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Man with how poor calzada looked if Jimbo doesnt run the ball anyone that can score 17+ will beat us any given week. There isn't a game left on the schedule we should feel good about until King is back or Jimbo makes an adjustment. 

36 passes to 23 rushing attempts. 4.2 yards per pass. 5.3 yards per run. We need to flip the script on that. Pound the rock with Spiller inside, Achane outside. Put the ball in your playmakers hands and out of your liability’s hands. We can’t get in a scoring match with Ole Miss or Bama. Run the ball. Play good defense. That’s our only way to stay afloat until/if King comes back this year.

I keep going back and forth on Calzada’s play on Saturday. How much was him. How much was coaching. I still have the Mond/Starkel deal in my head. Why are you starting Mond over Starkel? Because Mond’s ability to make plays with his legs. Then you didn’t see him run. Well Mond runs too much. Coaches put the brakes him. I wonder if they did that with Calzada or did he just decide that he was going to try to make the pass and to heck with the run? 

46 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Jahmir Johnson will play against Mississippi State.

Layden Robinson should return to practice this week.

I think Johnson lost his spot if Robinson is back and Kenyon can move to tackle. You aren't getting Fatheree off the field at this point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

I keep going back and forth on Calzada’s play on Saturday. How much was him. How much was coaching. I still have the Mond/Starkel deal in my head. Why are you starting Mond over Starkel? Because Mond’s ability to make plays with his legs. Then you didn’t see him run. Well Mond runs too much. Coaches put the brakes him. I wonder if they did that with Calzada or did he just decide that he was going to try to make the pass and to heck with the run? 

I've long thought that Jimbo tells his qbs not to run. But... I did see Jimbo tearing calzada a new one for not taking the chance to run when he had it after one third down coverage sack. So idk what I think anymore...

All I know is loaded box or not this team won't win another sec game if they are relying on Calzada and his arm. Like you said above, there doesn't need to be a game from here on out the RBs don't split 35 carries. 

I remember week 1 seeing a stat that said in 3 years games where Spiller gets 15 carries or more the team was undefeated. In games getting gets less than 15 they were around .500. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I think Johnson lost his spot if Robinson is back and Kenyon can move to tackle. You aren't getting Fatheree off the field at this point. 

I think that’s your best lineup going forward. If Robinson is healthy. I’d much rather have Fatheree getting reps than a senior transfer at this point in the season. Henson did a good job in his second year with upperclassmen. What can he do with 2 true freshman, a redshirt freshman and sophomore making up 4/5 of the line?

21 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I think that’s your best lineup going forward. If Robinson is healthy. I’d much rather have Fatheree getting reps than a senior transfer at this point in the season. Henson did a good job in his second year with upperclassmen. What can he do with 2 true freshman, a redshirt freshman and sophomore making up 4/5 of the line?

The line will be shaky this year but they will be a handful in 2022 and 2023. Fatheree and foster have all american potential and Aki and Robinson are solid guards. The RT spot is going to be an issue next year with Fatheree taking over LT. I'd expect to see another graduate OT. There are a couple of freshman capable of playing OT in Wycoff and Zuhn but id if they are going to be ready. 

Side note. From what I be read on the boards Trainor actually looked serviceable at guard when he stepped in. I couldnt bring myself to watch the game again to see how he did fot myself. Curious to see if he can find a home there. 

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@WETSU just from what I saw, Trainor at guard with Fatheree was manageable. Maybe he just can’t handle the speed on the edge? Cause him against 55, all he could do was bear hug him to keep him close.

I don't think he has the natural athleticism to play tackle. He's got the frame but not the feet. He was also very raw in terms of strength and technique when he got on campus and honestly he still could do better in those regards. 

On 9/28/2021 at 10:58 AM, WETSU said:

The line will be shaky this year but they will be a handful in 2022 and 2023. Fatheree and foster have all american potential and Aki and Robinson are solid guards. The RT spot is going to be an issue next year with Fatheree taking over LT. I'd expect to see another graduate OT. There are a couple of freshman capable of playing OT in Wycoff and Zuhn but id if they are going to be ready. 

Side note. From what I be read on the boards Trainor actually looked serviceable at guard when he stepped in. I couldnt bring myself to watch the game again to see how he did fot myself. Curious to see if he can find a home there. 

Yep. Remember how bad the line was in 2019? Those same guys made up the Goons of 2020. Coaching, development, and hard work is all it takes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yep. Remember how bad the line was in 2019? Those same guys made up the Goons of 2020. Coaching, development, and hard work is all it takes. 

And that 2020 line was very limited athletically. They were not guys with natural high end attributes that guys like Foster and Fatheree possess. I'm not worried about the future of the oline. I just wish that with the defense being a very veteran group that there could have been a better offense to take advantage. Next year you'll take steps offensively but I expect a step back on defense. 

1 minute ago, JustAFan11 said:

This is floating around Twitter today. I was actually shocked when I saw it. I just assumed Sumlin was worse. 

B36BC3F1-A799-4C82-96F3-799602AC4209.jpeg

Sumlin started on fire with Johnny remember. Went 11-2 in year one and 10-3 in year two. The real problems started manifesting in year 3 with how horrible the defense had become. 

The thing with fisher seems to be the opposite. He started slower but has been projecting upwards. If he can save this season and limp out of it at 9-3 he will be fine. Go 7-5 and show no improvements or adjustments offensively and we are starting to get a little concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Sumlin started on fire with Johnny remember. Went 11-2 in year one and 10-3 in year two. The real problems started manifesting in year 3 with how horrible the defense had become. 

The thing with fisher seems to be the opposite. He started slower but has been projecting upwards. If he can save this season and limp out of it at 9-3 he will be fine. Go 7-5 and show no improvements or adjustments offensively and we are starting to get a little concerned. 

I'd be worried...this was supposed to A&M's crowning season. King got hurt and the whole thing has imploded...showing not much flesh on the bone it would appear offensively.

11 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

I'd be worried...this was supposed to A&M's crowning season. King got hurt and the whole thing has imploded...showing not much flesh on the bone it would appear offensively.

In saturdays game only 4 offensive starters were the starters on day 1 of fall camp. Injuries have been devastating and the offense just hasn't been good enough replace 7 preseason starters and still beat top 25 teams. Not many teams are equipped for that. 

I do think most of that is on jimbos play calling though. 

Its silly to think A&M should be "worried" about their future at this moment because of a couple of bad weeks with this many injuries. Especially in a year where virtually everyone has had poor games. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

In saturdays game only 4 offensive starters were the starters on day 1 of fall camp. Injuries have been devastating and the offense just hasn't been good enough replace 7 preseason starters and still beat top 25 teams. Not many teams are equipped for that. 

Well only one school in the middle of a unprecedented run is capable of relaxing that much turnover without drop off in results. There weren’t any questions about the defense coming into this season. Every publication was ranking them high. The issue everybody had was with the offense. Senior QB being relaxed. 4/5 of the o-line being replaced. I can’t think of single impact player last year missing significant time with an injury. This is worst case scenario level stuff. Am I worried about the long term? Not really. Not yet anyways. I do think they need to look at some position coaching changes possibly. Dameyune Craig. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I do think most of that is on jimbos play calling though. 

Its silly to think A&M should be "worried" about their future at this moment because of a couple of bad weeks with this many injuries. Especially in a year where virtually everyone has had poor games. 

Jimbo trusted his QB last week. It’s time to put offensive load onto Spiller/Achane and the baby Maroon “Goons.” 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Well only one school in the middle of a unprecedented run is capable of relaxing that much turnover without drop off in results. There weren’t any questions about the defense coming into this season. Every publication was ranking them high. The issue everybody had was with the offense. Senior QB being relaxed. 4/5 of the o-line being replaced. I can’t think of single impact player last year missing significant time with an injury. This is worst case scenario level stuff. Am I worried about the long term? Not really. Not yet anyways. I do think they need to look at some position coaching changes possibly. Dameyune Craig. 

Exactly. This season is full of injuries and that happens from time to time. At this point its about how you respond. You make adjustments and go 9-3 with this banged up roster but improve as the year goes and nobody panics. 

Like you said they have a position coach or two that needs to be evaluated in the off season and then Fisher needs to look at himself and see what changes he can make to the offense to make it easier. A coach needing to make changes is not the same as we should all start panicking because of a poor offensive performance last week. Now if we A&M come out and throw 40 times and lose to state this week than thats a different story. 

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Jimbo trusted his QB last week. It’s time to put offensive load onto Spiller/Achane and the baby Maroon “Goons.” 

Spiller and Achane are very high end RBs. Its criminal to not give Spiller 15-20 touches and Achane 10-15 per game. Especially breaking in not only a new QB but your backup...

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Spiller and Achane are very high end RBs. Its criminal to not give Spiller 15-20 touches and Achane 10-15 per game. Especially breaking in not only a new QB but your backup...

Yeah...  I just...  I just can't even imagine what he's thinking. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Totally forgot he won 10 in year two. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

That’s something that will be talked about for the rest of Jimbo’s career. You remember the game from Mond’s junior year. Messy nasty weather and game. Mond is having a Mond game. Up and down but the running game is working. We just don’t lean on it in a winnable game against a top 5 team on the road. It does make you ask some questions about the game plan.

55 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Johnny might have even been better that year than his Heisman year.

Yep. He was banged up a little so his rushing numbers were down but his passing numbers were up. They were q better offense in year 2 but lost so much defensively they were a worse team. 

• Mr. P locked this topic