🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

55 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

So is Spencer Rattler the way forward? Caleb Williams can BALL. 

Rattler has until Nebraska to win me back...

Western Carolina is gonna be another scrimmage, but anything less than a dominant performance over the Huskers and I say bench him until he extricates his cranium from his rectum. 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, LOL said:

At this point he's far more Landry Jones than Baker Mayfield. He looks great against inferior competition, but when we need him to rise above, he comes up short.

Granted, he's still young, but consider me unimpressed as well. Thus far he's shown little growth from this time last year. 

It just doesn't look any different than last year. While he is good, I just don't think he is that good. He makes some real bonehead throws, and it looks like hes going to have another high INT stat this year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

It just doesn't look any different than last year. While he is good, I just don't think he is that good. He makes some real bonehead throws, and it looks like hes going to have another high INT stat this year.

Correct on all points, and many Sooner alums/fans are saying the same things. 

It's like, he'll make the right decision on seven or eight straight plays, then outta nowhere he forces a ball into double coverage, or overthrows a wide open receiver streaking down the seam. The kinda plays where you can tell he's trying to make some kinda "Sportscenter moment" instead of just checking down and making the smart, high-percentage play.

At this point, this appears to be the main factor that seems to separate him from Bradford, Mayfield, Murray, and even Hurts: more often than not they'd make the smart play in a given situation, and *allow* big plays to happen when the circumstances were optimum. 

We tolerated it last season, because he was a first-year starter making rookie mistakes, but that ain't the case anymore. He should know better. And if he persists in these tendencies, I'm not at all averse to pulling him for the freshman. If this is going to be (another) building season for us, may as well do it with somebody who can contribute to the running game as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LOL said:

Correct on all points, and many Sooner alums/fans are saying the same things. 

It's like, he'll make the right decision on seven or eight straight plays, then outta nowhere he forces a ball into double coverage, or overthrows a wide open receiver streaking down the seam. The kinda plays where you can tell he's trying to make some kinda "Sportscenter moment" instead of just checking down and making the smart, high-percentage play.

At this point, this appears to be the main factor that seems to separate him from Bradford, Mayfield, Murray, and even Hurts: more often than not they'd make the smart play in a given situation, and *allow* big plays to happen when the circumstances were optimum. 

We tolerated it last season, because he was a first-year starter making rookie mistakes, but that ain't the case anymore. He should know better. And if he persists in these tendencies, I'm not at all averse to pulling him for the freshman. If this is going to be (another) building season for us, may as well do it with somebody who can contribute to the running game as well. 

I agree. I didn't get a chance to see the freshman play, but to me it seems like Rattler needs to be humbled a bit and maybe benching him might wake him up. I remember Riley benching Murray for showing up late to a practice and it woke him up a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I don't think OU's defense was terrible. Rattler and the offense kept putting them in terrible positions throughout the game.

Another point we're in agreement on. I went back and watched the game again, and this tendency popped out at me. Granted, there were certainly several blown coverages and assignments, the main issue is that our defense was having to play high minutes early and often — typically with their backs to the wall as well. 

Grinch didn't help matters by treating this like a scrimmage, with regard to substitutions. On several occasions the commentators praised Grinch for numerous wholesale substitutions as a way of ensuring "fresh legs," but I think this approach is only beneficial against a far inferior opponent. 

If you've played the game, you know it takes a little while to get into a rhythm. Getting yanked in and out gets you out of that rhythm, and puts you at a disadvantage against an offense that has a clear sense of what it's trying to do. If you watch the film, there were *several* big plays Tulane made by going right at the "new guy" who'd just come into the game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LOL said:

Another point we're in agreement on. I went back and watched the game again, and this tendency popped out at me. Granted, there were certainly several blown coverages and assignments, the main issue is that our defense was having to play high minutes early and often — typically with their backs to the wall as well. 

Grinch didn't help matters by treating this like a scrimmage, with regard to substitutions. On several occasions the commentators praised Grinch for numerous wholesale substitutions as a way of ensuring "fresh legs," but I think this approach is only beneficial against a far inferior opponent. 

If you've played the game, you know it takes a little while to get into a rhythm. Getting yanked in and out gets you out of that rhythm, and puts you at a disadvantage against an offense that has a clear sense of what it's trying to do. If you watch the film, there were *several* big plays Tulane made by going right at the "new guy" who'd just come into the game. 

On top of all of that, you have to give credit to that Tulane QB. He played absolutely lights out and was a straight up gamer! Tulane is not a slouch and that QB was solid. I expect Tulane to win more games than they are predicted to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

On top of all of that, you have to give credit to that Tulane QB. He played absolutely lights out and was a straight up gamer! Tulane is not a slouch and that QB was solid. I expect Tulane to win more games than they are predicted to.

Oh man, I give Tulane props from top to bottom. The coaching staff came prepared and exploited numerous tendencies and made key adjustments throughout. The line play dominated us on both sides of the ball. 

And that quarterback, holy #### what a gamer! I would trade him straight up for Spencer Rattler right now. That kid's got guts and heart. If I'm an NFL general manager I keep my eye on him, dude is the kind of player who plays waaaaay above his "measurables." 

• Thanks 1

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-spencer-rattler-the-next-valedictorian-of-oklahomas-quarterback-u/

In Oklahoma’s system, Rattler should improve. Riley’s scheme is praised around the NFL for being complex and forward-thinking, especially with the league’s interest in quarterbacks with processing power. “He definitely makes it easier at the quarterback position, going through your reads, seeing coverages, teaching us a lot of good things,” Rattler said in an interview on Fox last week. “It’s been great so far, and I’m excited to see what he dials up this year.”

Ok, yeah, but here's the thing: either he's seeing the right reads and still making the incorrect decisions (which indicates a lack of quarterback IQ), or he's not seeing the right reads due to not having the same processing ability as his predecessors. I don't really see how it can be anything else.

At one point during the Tulane game they put up a graphic that illustrated that while Rattler performed excellent on short passes, his mid-to-deep pass rating was abysmal. That would seem to indicate either a poor read or poor delivery. Neither is acceptable in Riley's offense. 

Baker and Kyler flourished because they would often check down to a safety-valve fullback or a tight end hovering in that little cushion just past the backers but before the safeties. Mark Andrews made serious NFL Draft dollars thanks to bailing Mayfield out on mid-range passes. 

If I'm Riley, I help my young QB by taking a bit more of the read & recognition burden off of him with predetermined outcomes and rollouts. The longer Rattler sits in the pocket, the more likely he is to take a stupid risk. 

Much like Baker, he seems to be an emotional and volatile player...  but unlike Baker, he does not (yet) thrive in finding the optimal defensive weakness from the pocket. 

9 minutes ago, LOL said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-spencer-rattler-the-next-valedictorian-of-oklahomas-quarterback-u/

Ok, yeah, but here's the thing: either he's seeing the right reads and still making the incorrect decisions (which indicates a lack of quarterback IQ), or he's not seeing the right reads due to not having the same processing ability as his predecessors. I don't really see how it can be anything else.

At one point during the Tulane game they put up a graphic that illustrated that while Rattler performed excellent on short passes, his mid-to-deep pass rating was abysmal. That would seem to indicate either a poor read or poor delivery. Neither is acceptable in Riley's offense. 

Baker and Kyler flourished because they would often check down to a safety-valve fullback or a tight end hovering in that little cushion just past the backers but before the safeties. Mark Andrews made serious NFL Draft dollars thanks to bailing Mayfield out on mid-range passes. 

If I'm Riley, I help my young QB by taking a bit more of the read & recognition burden off of him with predetermined outcomes and rollouts. The longer Rattler sits in the pocket, the more likely he is to take a stupid risk. 

Much like Baker, he seems to be an emotional and volatile player...  but unlike Baker, he does not (yet) thrive in finding the optimal defensive weakness from the pocket. 

a78ca83b708519aecafa123aa6585f9b.gif

Oh, and excuse me, just one more thing... 

What do these three passes have in common: 

1.) 

2.) 

3.) 

On all three he threw from his back foot (something I learned not to do in 7th grade). Luckily for him on Play #2 the defense blew it and the OU receiver made a heckuva play, but against any Top 25 defense that's a pick. 

Now look at his footwork here: 

Ok sure, the TE did a poor job of helping out his QB but not at least batting the ball down (and the DB made a heads-up play) but the ball was still off-target on a 20-yard (!!!) pass, and that's almost entirely due to shoddy footwork. 

Rattler doesn't appear to be under heavy pressure, and yet he's sliding laterally with his feet off-balance. WTH?  That's basic footwork. Again, stuff I learned in junior high. Not rocket surgery. 

The more I watch of this game, the more obvious it is that his preparation and focus was for s###. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LOL said:

a78ca83b708519aecafa123aa6585f9b.gif

Oh, and excuse me, just one more thing... 

What do these three passes have in common: 

1.) 

2.) 

3.) 

On all three he threw from his back foot (something I learned not to do in 7th grade). Luckily for him on Play #2 the defense blew it and the OU receiver made a heckuva play, but against any Top 25 defense that's a pick. 

Now look at his footwork here: 

Ok sure, the TE did a poor job of helping out his QB but not at least batting the ball down (and the DB made a heads-up play) but the ball was still off-target on a 20-yard (!!!) pass, and that's almost entirely due to shoddy footwork. 

Rattler doesn't appear to be under heavy pressure, and yet he's sliding laterally with his feet off-balance. WTH?  That's basic footwork. Again, stuff I learned in junior high. Not rocket surgery. 

The more I watch of this game, the more obvious it is that his preparation and focus was for s###. 

No only was he throwing off his back foot, he was throwing off his back foot into DOUBLE/TRIPLE coverage! What is he thinking? He needs to check down and not force these impossible windows. And if he's going to try it, stand tall in the pocket and step into the throw. Adds a little more zip and he might be able to actually find the window.

I'm harsh on Rattler for a reason. Baker and Kyler #### me off but they were so efficient and fun to watch. I hated them because they were so damn good. IMO, Rattler puts himself in the conversation with those two (even Hurts), yet, he makes common freshman mistakes time and time again. If he's going to have all of this hype that we've been sold, I expect way more out of him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I'm harsh on Rattler for a reason. Baker and Kyler #### me off but they were so efficient and fun to watch. I hated them because they were so damn good. IMO, Rattler puts himself in the conversation with those two (even Hurts), yet, he makes common freshman mistakes time and time again. If he's going to have all of this hype that we've been sold, I expect way more out of him.

^^^ So much this

• Thanks 1

Good stuff here from Teddy and Gabe: 

I don't care much for podcasters or Twitter commentators, and most media bloodsucking vultures make me sick...  but I enjoy the perspective of guys who actually played the game. 

OU tweaks depth chart: https://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-fo...752f6d319.html

Linebackers
Senior DaShaun White has jumped redshirt junior Brian Asamoah for the starting position at WILL linebacker, and the “OR,” stating that the two were both originally co-starters, has been removed. White was also listed as the backup MIKE linebacker behind junior David Ugwoegbu in week one, but was removed ahead of week two, and replaced by freshman Danny Stutsman.

According to "sources," Grinch was absolutely livid with his linebackers for consistently getting out of position in an attempt to make a "big play" or a tackle-for-loss, instead of playing their assignments and making the correct play. 

That'll preach. 

5 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I might be off my rocker but I could see Nebraska giving Oklahoma some fits. 

Tulane was on the verge of beating OU. If not for some home-cooking penalties, the game could've gone into overtime. 

Nebraska could totally win this game, especially if Rattler keeps making stupid mistakes. 

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Tulane was on the verge of beating OU. If not for some home-cooking penalties, the game could've gone into overtime. 

Nebraska could totally win this game, especially if Rattler keeps making stupid mistakes. 

Nebraska is Tate Martell man.  

• LOL! 2

This is interesting: 

As frustrated as I was with the defense against Tulane, the fact that they started off with such terrible field position numerous time (due to the inadequacy of the offense) certainly didn't help matters. 

On 9/16/2021 at 4:50 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I might be off my rocker but I could see Nebraska giving Oklahoma some fits. If not the upset make the Sooners sweat a little. Nebraska could play inspired football. This was such a great rivalry . 

You can’t learn too much from Cheech and Ching movies but you can learn to puff, puff, pass. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I know I don’t have a lot of room to talk here, but this OU team looks very beatable. They don’t look like the same offensive power they’ve been the past 4-5 years. 

No, it's not just you. The offense is very pedestrian, especially by Riley standards. 

The issue appears to be Rattler. Yeah, sure, the line still needs to come together, but Rattler is just very basic in his ability to read the coverage and make the smart decision. Yeah yeah, I know he can throw a pigskin over them mountains, but mountains don't move the chains. 

Credit to Nebraska's defense for flying around and making plays, but if Rattler doesn't come on in a big way in the second half, I say yank him for the rookie. At least he can run the ball. 

42 minutes ago, LOL said:

No, it's not just you. The offense is very pedestrian, especially by Riley standards. 

The issue appears to be Rattler. Yeah, sure, the line still needs to come together, but Rattler is just very basic in his ability to read the coverage and make the smart decision. Yeah yeah, I know he can throw a pigskin over them mountains, but mountains don't move the chains. 

Credit to Nebraska's defense for flying around and making plays, but if Rattler doesn't come on in a big way in the second half, I say yank him for the rookie. At least he can run the ball. 

He’s very slow to me. Maybe that’s just from watching Jalen, kyler, and baker, but he doesn’t have that run threat like we are used to seeing. And it makes OU’s offense look very bland which is just weird lol we are not used to that 

• Mr. P locked this topic