🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

3 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

OU starts losing so the holding calls magically stop. Still holding all over the place. 

I was listening to this game on my drive to DFW today. The broadcasters were OU radio guys. One of them commented on one scoring play that it looked like Mims held. The other guy said “no, it was just a good block” and then laughed. On another play they commented that Kansas was looking for a holding call on the scoring play. They both said that “it’s not going to happen’.

On 10/23/2021 at 2:39 PM, LOL said:

Why? 

How does "helping" OU win do anything for anyone but OU? Big XII? 

This is just about the most retarded #### I've read on this forum. 

You only feel that way because you have your blinders onnnnnn. 😘

On 10/23/2021 at 4:22 PM, MavGrad99 said:

OSU wins out, they have a legitimate shot

Oh well haha. 

• LOL! 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

On 10/23/2021 at 2:53 PM, JohnnyFootball said:

Not many good games on this weekend, sadly. OU seems to play up or down to their competition. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they went 2-1 or 3-0 against the tough stretch of Baylor, Ok State, and Iowa State. 

Not a chance. We've got Texas Tech, Baylor, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State. I think 2-2 is our best case scenario.

I figure we barely squeak by Tech and Baylor, but we have absolutely no answer for a team that can run the ball up the middle and play keep-away. We lose both of those games.  

On 10/23/2021 at 3:44 PM, Bclove05 said:

Here’s my question. Let’s say Williams fumbled the ball during that exchange and Kansas recovers and returns it for a touchdown? Would Oklahoma then be saying forward progress had been stopped? It was a bang bang play but in my opinion the running back had already been stopped and was losing yardage. Is there a certain amount of time you have to let a play go before blowing it dead because forward progress had been stopped? 

So, here's my answer(s): the refs had been letting pileups and "scrums" go all game up to that point. Kansas got a first down out of runner whose forward motion was initially stopped but the pile kept it going. So they were obviously letting these kinds of plays go. Right or wrong, that's how they were doing it.

Same thing with this play. No whistle was blown. Thus, the play was not dead. Would *I* have blown the whistle at that point? Probably. But they didn't. Thus, it was still live.

That said: the rule does not prohibit a handoff in this manner. I really don't know why this is still a point of contention. Yeah, it was a weird play that almost none of us have ever seen before. But it was a legal exchange, regardless of our opinion of how it happened. It was called correctly on the field, and confirmed in the booth. Period. 

On 10/23/2021 at 9:38 PM, H3llR4z0r said:

You only feel that way because you have your blinders onnnnnn. 😘

Dude, not even. I am soooooooo not that guy. I can understand that you probably haven't been following my naysaying, but I'll just tell you: I already believe OU should have two losses (Tulane, West Virginia) if not for homecooking. I am the first person to say if/when we get away with something. 

But the idea that conference leadership and referees would risk their professional careers and personal reputations just to push an obviously undeserving OU squad to the forefront is laughably insane.

It's going to be even more so over the next four/five weeks when OU starts dropping games. And I'll still be here, saying I told you so. 

On 10/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Thanks for the candor. Under this QB (getting better) I think they might be there. Defense is horrible suspect lol. JK

I'd rather be lucky than good, and the kid is both. But on a long enough timeline the odds drop to zero for everyone. Reality's clock is about strike midnight for the young man's Cinderella debut, and the cracks in OU's schemes and execution are going to catch up with them in a BIG way. A "shocking upset" to Tech and or Baylor is coming, and I expect Iowa State and Oklahoma State to give OU a sound whipping as well. Everyone's going to be sooooo surprised, asking "what happened?!," but it's going to be the same old story: Lincoln Riley is soft, his culture is soft, and his defenses can never tackle for ####.

OU will never have a legitimate shot at a title with him in charge. We've already wasted two generational quarterbacks and numerous current NFL stars, and never been close. Dude just ain't got the goods. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LOL said:

So, here's my answer(s): the refs had been letting pileups and "scrums" go all game up to that point. Kansas got a first down out of runner whose forward motion was initially stopped but the pile kept it going. So they were obviously letting these kinds of plays go. Right or wrong, that's how they were doing it.

Same thing with this play. No whistle was blown. Thus, the play was not dead. Would *I* have blown the whistle at that point? Probably. But they didn't. Thus, it was still live.

That said: the rule does not prohibit a handoff in this manner. I really don't know why this is still a point of contention. Yeah, it was a weird play that almost none of us have ever seen before. But it was a legal exchange, regardless of our opinion of how it happened. It was called correctly on the field, and confirmed in the booth. Period. 

I have no dog in the fight and didn’t watch the game, so I really don’t know how the refs had been calling the game. As long as they were consistent that’s all you can ask for. It was a heads up play by Williams for sure. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LOL said:

Dude, not even. I am soooooooo not that guy. I can understand that you probably haven't been following my naysaying, but I'll just tell you: I already believe OU should have two losses (Tulane, West Virginia) if not for homecooking. I am the first person to say if/when we get away with something. 

But the idea that conference leadership and referees would risk their professional careers and personal reputations just to push an obviously undeserving OU squad to the forefront is laughably insane.

It's going to be even more so over the next four/five weeks when OU starts dropping games. And I'll still be here, saying I told you so. 

I'm gonna give you a hard time @LOL. I'll never stop believing the conspiracy. This goes back to OU going to the natty in 08 instead of Texas for me. My hate runs deep man. 

• LOL! 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:36 PM, H3llR4z0r said:

I'm gonna give you a hard time @LOL. I'll never stop believing the conspiracy. This goes back to OU going to the natty in 08 instead of Texas for me. My hate runs deep man. 

Lol, it's all good. I've got a brother-in-law who's the same way.  :lol:

On 10/24/2021 at 2:19 PM, JohnnyFootball said:

To shift gears, Rattler looked like he didn’t really care about the game when they showed him. It could’ve been just the camera angle and moments they shot him, but he looked uninterested. 

Saw that, and yeah...  seems like he's checked out already. 

On 10/25/2021 at 2:26 AM, 88YoePride said:

If OU goes undefeated they deserve to be in over Cincy all day, every day.

IF OU goes undefeated, I'll certainly drop my doom-posting and put them in the Top 5. They'll have earned it by that point. My issue is that I think they've skated by thus far and are due for a reckoning. I believe it's going to happen over the next 4-5 weeks. 

BUT, if they manage to win out from here (conference championship included)  well...  it'll be shocking for sure, but obviously it'll mean they deserve to be one of the final four. 

Now, whether or not they would deserve to be in over Cincy, I really can't say at this point.  

2 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Unpopular opinion - Spencer Rattler was not he problem. Despite Oklahoma's talented o-line, they're not performing up to their potential, unless they hold of course.  

Welllllll yes and no...  he's not been THE problem, but he's been A big problem. 

So, here's the thing: Rattler is more of a pocket passer than a true dual-threat. He's got pretty good pocket mobility and he's evasive enough to pick up a short-yardage first down. But the defense knows that running the ball is absolutely worst-case scenario for him. They also know if if he does run, he's gonna slide or jump outta bounds after a short gain.

That's not the case with Caleb. If he gets a crease, he's taking it to the house. Basically that means Oklahoma has a QB who is almost as big a running threat as their starting RB. That's a gamechanger. That impacts coverage, assignments, and forces an adjustment to the entire defensive concept. 

With that said, you're right: the offensive line has been inconsistent this season. Which means that Rattler has not had the same level of protection he became accustomed to last season, which has resulted in more turnovers and fewer pass completions over 20 yards. Also, because he's not a true run threat, it allows the defense to play contain up front, while blanketing the secondary with extra defenders. 

Again, the defense isn't able to commit this way with Caleb. But still, that's not how you beat Oklahoma. You beat Oklahoma by limiting their opportunities with the ball and running out the clock. You do that by keeping their defense on the field longer than their offense

Oklahoma's undersized front cannot provide adequate pressure with just a four-man rush, which means they're sending at least one linebacker every play, and sometimes a defensive back as well. This allows space for wideouts to get open on all those square-in, slant, and drag routes that make mediocre QBs look like Joe Montana. That (plus the fact that OU's linebackers cannot tackle) results in teams able to pound the ball inside on first and second down, giving them 3rd and short situations, and then a quick slant on 3rd to pick up the first down. 

Look at all these close games (Kansas, West Virginia, Tulane, etc.), and look at time of possession and the rate of 3rd down conversions. THAT is what's killing OU worse than anything. And the moment OU faces a defense that can pressure Caleb with only a three- or four-man rush, it's gonna get ugly.  

4 hours ago, LOL said:

IF OU goes undefeated, I'll certainly drop my doom-posting and put them in the Top 5. They'll have earned it by that point. My issue is that I think they've skated by thus far and are due for a reckoning. I believe it's going to happen over the next 4-5 weeks. 

BUT, if they manage to win out from here (conference championship included)  well...  it'll be shocking for sure, but obviously it'll mean they deserve to be one of the final four. 

Now, whether or not they would deserve to be in over Cincy, I really can't say at this point.  

OU can simultaneously not be a top 4 team yet still be undefeated at seasons end. 

This is kind of why I am not a fan of conference winners getting the benefit of the doubt as a top 4 team. You can be the 10th best team in the country but still better than everyone on your schedule. You can also be the 4th best team in the country but be the second best team in your conference... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

OU can simultaneously not be a top 4 team yet still be undefeated at seasons end. 

This is kind of why I am not a fan of conference winners getting the benefit of the doubt as a top 4 team. You can be the 10th best team in the country but still better than everyone on your schedule. You can also be the 4th best team in the country but be the second best team in your conference... 

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but surely you know that an "undefeated Big XII champion" OU is a virtual lock for the Playoffs.

Shoot, they'd probably be #2 with that resume. 

13 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but surely you know that an "undefeated Big XII champion" OU is a virtual lock for the Playoffs.

Shoot, they'd probably be #2 with that resume. 

Oh yea I know they will definitely be in. I just was kind of pointing to the fact that even sooners do not believe they have a top 4 team but are taking the stance of "well if we finish undefeated we gotta be a top 4 team right?" 

• Like 1

Just now, WETSU said:

Oh yea I know they will definitely be in. I just was kind of pointing to the fact that even sooners do not believe they have a top 4 team but are taking the stance of "well if we finish undefeated we gotta be a top 4 team right?" 

Exactly. 

5 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

Tanner Mordecai. That's all I'm sayin'.

I liked Mordecai. I thought he threw a good ball, and was a gamer. Rattler has better arm talent but Mordecai is a gamer. 

But as far as our current situation is concerned, Mordecai would be a non-factor. He's got about the same level of mobility as Rattler. 

As I've already mentioned, it's precisely Caleb's mobility (to offset our sub-par line play) that has made the difference. 

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

I liked Mordecai. I thought he threw a good ball, and was a gamer. Rattler has better arm talent but Mordecai is a gamer. 

But as far as our current situation is concerned, Mordecai would be a non-factor. He's got about the same level of mobility as Rattler. 

As I've already mentioned, it's precisely Caleb's mobility (to offset our sub-par line play) that has made the difference. 

Yeah, lucky for Mordecai he's benefitting from that All-American line at SMU. 😉

• LOL! 2

On 10/24/2021 at 12:08 PM, LOL said:

I'd rather be lucky than good, and the kid is both. But on a long enough timeline the odds drop to zero for everyone. Reality's clock is about strike midnight for the young man's Cinderella debut, and the cracks in OU's schemes and execution are going to catch up with them in a BIG way. A "shocking upset" to Tech and or Baylor is coming, and I expect Iowa State and Oklahoma State to give OU a sound whipping as well. Everyone's going to be sooooo surprised, asking "what happened?!," but it's going to be the same old story: Lincoln Riley is soft, his culture is soft, and his defenses can never tackle for ####.

OU will never have a legitimate shot at a title with him in charge. We've already wasted two generational quarterbacks and numerous current NFL stars, and never been close. Dude just ain't got the goods. 

I am going to say that you are NOT a strong supporter of the Oklahoma Football Team. :rofl:

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

I am going to say that you are NOT a strong supporter of the Oklahoma Football Team. :rofl:

Actually I've given the university thousands of dollars in fees and tuition. I was a T.A. there and tutored athletes for pocket change. Hell, I even played rugby for them. I lived 100 yards from campus for almost a decade. Two of my children were born in Norman. I've spent thousands of dollars on merchandise and game tickets in the last twenty years. 

So I think I've earned the right to skull-drag 'em from time to time.  :woot:

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2

20 hours ago, LOL said:

They looked awesome against Abilene Christian and UNT. 

Considering we're talking about SMU, I'ma go out in a limb and guess we could be talking about a pri-tee even comparison.

It's an interesting point, though. I know Stoops and staff were fairly good at recruiting and developing O-linemen. There does seem to have been a bit of a drop-off at that position.

1 hour ago, LOL said:

This has become my biggest pet peeve. Trust me, I'm a Texas fan, I've heard this the past 11 years. It's the worst feel-good, optimistic excuse for bad play and it's so annoying. 

"The problems are fixable." Okay.... then fix it? I get having one bad game, but in OU's situation (I don't have a lot of room to talk, I know), they have had so many consistent problems throughout the season that they barely escaped Kansas. If the problems are fixable, why aren't they being fixed..?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

This has become my biggest pet peeve. Trust me, I'm a Texas fan, I've heard this the past 11 years. It's the worst feel-good, optimistic excuse for bad play and it's so annoying. 

"The problems are fixable." Okay.... then fix it? I get having one bad game, but in OU's situation (I don't have a lot of room to talk, I know), they have had so many consistent problems throughout the season that they barely escaped Kansas. If the problems are fixable, why aren't they being fixed..?

OU should be able to dominate Kansas by playing their backups. 

There is absolutely no excuse for that game to even be close. Same with Tulane, WVa, and others. 

OU's staff is paid waaaaaay too much money to still be "getting close" in ####ing October. 

1 minute ago, LOL said:

OU should be able to dominate Kansas by playing their backups. 

There is absolutely no excuse for that game to even be close. Same with Tulane, WVa, and others. 

OU's staff is paid waaaaaay too much money to still be "getting close" in ####ing October. 

Do you think it's a staff/coaching problem or talent problem, or both?

• Confused 1

• Mr. P locked this topic