🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

18 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Happened to A&M on the way out too. Glad you’re getting out of that poop league. Better late than never. 

Happened to Nebraska too (they were called for like 16 penalties and A&M was called for 2) on their way out. It was a fun game to beat them 9-6, but it was objectively poorly called. 

A disappointing end to a disappointing season. I expected Riley to take his game (and his team) to the next level, instead, he proved himself to be what he's always been. 

Yeah yeah, blown calls by referees, blah blah blah...  I don't care. The fact of the matter is that it was poor predictable play-calling by Riley that handed Okie State the game. The defense bent more than it broke, but was still completely outshined by Okie State's three-star studs. Yet another mediocre team out-hustled and out-muscled our top-tier talent. Because our program is soft from top to bottom. 

But I won't belabor the point. Riley just ain't the guy. He couldn't get the job done despite having three-straight NFL all-pro quarterbacks, and there's no reason to think he'll do so with Williams or Rattler or whatever five star can't-miss-kid we sign in the next QB recruiting cycle.  

OU is Leach-era Texas Tech with better athletes. Best to just accept it for what it is. 

55 minutes ago, bordertown said:

Didn’t see that coming. Curious as to his thinking. Wondering if OU knew Riley was  unhappy and have Stoops lined up to come back on board. Reason Stoops was not interested in Florida.

My OU sources tell me what they heard was that he's being going back and forth with the OU leadership about making serious "cultural" upgrades to the program (and loosen up the handcuffs) in order to compete in the SEC. But the admin said they're not sure that he is the guy who can take OU to the next level.

As a result, Riley's people started "listening" to more offers, and here we are. 

It's a good fit. I think he'll do well at SC. 

36 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Omg! Some big openings and not very many big names that could be splash hires. This has got to be scary for OU and LSU right now. 

Nah. I'm good. I'd rather struggle for a season or two if it means a rebuild. It's long overdue. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LOL said:

Nah. I'm good. I'd rather struggle for a season or two if it means a rebuild. It's long overdue. 

I think this sets us back 5 years. 

Not only did Riley leave, but he went to the place that he was beating for a lot of our big time recruits. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think this sets us back 5 years. 

Not only did Riley leave, but he went to the place that he was beating for a lot of our big time recruits. 

I'm okay with it...   provided the leadership does what it takes to ascend to the next level

If they don't, we were about to drop off with or without Riley. 

• Mr. P locked this topic