🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

12 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I just don’t understand this move. He’s in a far better situation with OU. He’s got a far better roster at OU, young QB, consistently in the playoff hunt, etc. USC is not what it was. They’re aren’t a good football team. 

Easy access to Cali schoolboy talent, only *real* conference competition is Oregon. Even if he only manages to make USC a perennial conference champ who gets pantsed in the post-season he'll still be revered. It's the right move for his brand.

Sleazy the way he went about it, but I see the logic. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stoney said:

Saw at least one decommit already. I know a DT that I’d like to see flip. Lol OU to USC seems like a step down. That’s a huge rebuild he’s fixing to have to handle. When he took over OU it was more of a reload than a rebuild. Can he do it? 

Oh sure. Heck, he'll have USC rolling up big stats in Year 1. I have no doubt. 

He'll plateau early. I expect him to eventually make USC a kind of OU West: perennial conference champ who gets exposed in the post-season. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Fickell seems to be a popular opinion

Fickell, Rhule, Venables, and Lanning (Georgia DC) are a few of the names I'm hearing from sources I trust. 

I'm told the ideal candidate has to have legit recruiting bona fides, the other X-factor is either 1.) experience winning in the SEC, 2.) program-building experience as a HC, 3.) natty rings, or some combination of the three. 

Lanning is my pick, but they ain't asking me. 

10 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

The QB? If not he just did it, got an alert about it. The Mater Dai kid is probably next. 

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Some LB just decommitted.

7 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Been a couple, there's more to come. I honestly hate it for em but business is business, nothing personal. Hope we get a WR transfer from OU.  

Business decisions. I get it. I don't like it, but if my 17-year-old was a Riley recruit, I'd be pumping the breaks right now too. 

6 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

So it's interesting. Earlier this season throughout the entire year coaches have been get fired in order to "get ahead of the curve" so to speak. 

RIley's remarks about the Gary Patterson firing are absolutely hilarious in retrospect. 

6 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I'm sure OU will land on their feet, even if their recruiting takes a hit for a bit. 

The right guy can stop the bleeding. 

Hell, the really right guy will have other teams' players jumping in the transfer portal OU-bound.

53 minutes ago, LOL said:

Easy access to Cali schoolboy talent, only *real* conference competition is Oregon. Even if he only manages to make USC a perennial conference champ who gets pantsed in the post-season he'll still be revered. It's the right move for his brand.

Sleazy the way he went about it, but I see the logic. 

That's all he did in the Big 12. Just continuing tradition I suppose. 

Edit: I just saw where you said the same thing lol. 

• Like 1

The issue is not rebuilding, it's continuing. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking OU has the same issues as say, Texas. The culture is there, the will to win is there, the athletes are there. Luckily for OU, Stoops stepped down while they were near the top, now Riley is leaving while they're still there. I don't look for this to have as much of an impact as some might think. I wish all the worst for Riley though.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I will say the OU faithful should calm themselves a bit. It's not wonder why he left, not even considering the move to the SEC. The constant pressure to change QBs - even the crowd in the stadium. Imagine being a QB in a system with ALL the tools you need to perform, but having to show up every game day to Norman chanting your backups name. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I just don’t understand this move. He’s in a far better situation with OU. He’s got a far better roster at OU, young QB, consistently in the playoff hunt, etc. USC is not what it was. They’re aren’t a good football team. 

USC, like Texas, has a dysfunctional culture. I can see him doing well but don't think it's going to be as easy as people think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LOL said:

Oh sure. Heck, he'll have USC rolling up big stats in Year 1. I have no doubt. 

He'll plateau early. I expect him to eventually make USC a kind of OU West: perennial conference champ who gets exposed in the post-season. 

100%. If I have any opinion on Riley's teams, it's that they are very soft. The SEC move, I believe, could have actually fixed that. I think he is a really good coach, but this is a literal move at best. I really don't see anything changing at SC. He was extremely blessed by the transfer portal at the QB position. He will win in a very pathetic conference, probably make the 12-team playoff by default, and fall off.

I was initially annoyed by the "he was scared of the SEC" comments, but I kinda believe them now. Not even entertaining the LSU job (a VERY good job btw), and then peacing out on a gig where you're winning at least 10 games a year because you don't want to go to the SEC? That's weak. 

• Thanks 1

Riley and Grinch will run the PAC 12 and make the playoffs most years. They won’t have to play SEC schools until playoffs, when he can game plan for a few weeks. You leave Norman for Los Angeles and he’s been killing the west coast recruiting scene for a while now. 

This is a brilliant move for him specifically. At OU in the Big12 he was the big fish and he could sleep walk through half his schedule. With OU moving to the SEC, a move he didn’t like, he heads to a place where he can recruit the best skill talent in the region and he takes his DC with him that already knows the conference. They’ll be the big fish in no time. 

He definitely burned OU and they are faced with a total staff rebuild that they haven’t had to deal with since Stoops became coach. I have no doubt they’ll land a legit coach who will talk some recruits off the ledge. 
As a seasoned veteran in the coaching search game let me suggest that OU fans just embrace the change that is coming and let hope guide you through the off-season. Maybe that hope leads to better outcomes for you than it has for Texas fans. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Random thought, Herman at SMU would be real interesting. Another random thought, would Dykes back out of TCU for OU? I thought I saw that somewhere.

If Sonny Dykes can get to OU over TCU he should--that would be a MUCH better job. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Riley and Grinch will run the PAC 12 and make the playoffs most years. They won’t have to play SEC schools until playoffs, when he can game plan for a few weeks. You leave Norman for Los Angeles and he’s been killing the west coast recruiting scene for a while now. 

This is a brilliant move for him specifically. At OU in the Big12 he was the big fish and he could sleep walk through half his schedule. With OU moving to the SEC, a move he didn’t like, he heads to a place where he can recruit the best skill talent in the region and he takes his DC with him that already knows the conference. They’ll be the big fish in no time. 

He definitely burned OU and they are faced with a total staff rebuild that they haven’t had to deal with since Stoops became coach. I have no doubt they’ll land a legit coach who will talk some recruits off the ledge. 
As a seasoned veteran in the coaching search game let me suggest that OU fans just embrace the change that is coming and let hope guide you through the off-season. Maybe that hope leads to better outcomes for you than it has for Texas fans. 

Question: 

We know a 5 star QB has already withdrawn his commitment from OU, We know that Rattler is probably entering the transfer portal, and the Williams QB--does he stay or enter the portal also, and if you are Riley--which one would you want the most? 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see selling "hope" working out for Oklahoma like it has other places. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Question: 

We know a 5 star QB has already withdrawn his commitment from OU, We know that Rattler is probably entering the transfer portal, and the Williams QB--does he stay or enter the portal also, and if you are Riley--which one would you want the most? 

He has a nice QB room already at USC but if Williams wants to transfer you take him over Rattler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I don't look for this to have as much of an impact as some might think...

I won't sugar-coat it, OU's recruiting is gonna take a hit this year. There's no way around that. It is what it is. 

BUT the right hire can stem the flow, and possibly pull some talent through the transfer portal. 

It's all on OU's leadership now. The next five years (at least) of this program is at stake. 

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I will say the OU faithful should calm themselves a bit. It's not wonder why he left, not even considering the move to the SEC. The constant pressure to change QBs - even the crowd in the stadium. Imagine being a QB in a system with ALL the tools you need to perform, but having to show up every game day to Norman chanting your backups name. 

I'm perfectly calm. I'm probably the only guy who's actually somewhat pleased by this development. It's what I've been actually asking for. I'm probably more at peace with it than Valhalla is (for now), but I am operating under the assumption that Castiglione knows what he's doing. 

However, I disagree with the latter part of your post. This is the reality of an elite program. Just ask Alabama fans about Tua/Jalen, and go read what Ohio State fans were saying after the Oregon loss. 

The fact of the matter is that OU's offense has sucked all season. Riley made his bones as a playcalling savant. He had a returning starter QB with Heisman hype. There was no excuse for failure.

In retrospect, it's all too obvious that he's had one foot out the door since Summer. 

54 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

USC, like Texas, has a dysfunctional culture. I can see him doing well but don't think it's going to be as easy as people think.

Much like at OU, he's going to be able to "out-talent" most of the Pac 12. But yes, you're right, he's gonna have plenty of moments where he gets beaten by some "Iowa State" or "Kansas State" equivalent conference team who shows up motivated and willing to scrap. I would love it if some program like Stanford proves to be his Achilles heel. 

• Like 2

• Mr. P locked this topic