🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

40 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

100%. If I have any opinion on Riley's teams, it's that they are very soft. The SEC move, I believe, could have actually fixed that.

I was hoping this as well, I was eager to see young Riley rise to the occasion and go from being a really good coach to one of the greats...  but that dream fell apart against Tulane. It was extremely obvious that sort of killer instinct is just missing from his DNA. It's just not who he is. 

That's fine. Like I said, he'll do well in USC...  eventually he'll probably take his game to the NFL. Why not. It's not like he has a home anywhere anymore. 

5 minutes ago, LOL said:

I'm perfectly calm. I'm probably the only guy who's actually somewhat pleased by this development. It's what I've been actually asking for. I'm probably more at peace with it than Valhalla is (for now), but I am operating under the assumption that Castiglione knows what he's doing. 

However, I disagree with the latter part of your post. This is the reality of an elite program. Just ask Alabama fans about Tua/Jalen, and go read what Ohio State fans were saying after the Oregon loss. 

The fact of the matter is that OU's offense has sucked all season. Riley made his bones as a playcalling savant. He had a returning starter QB with Heisman hype. There was no excuse for failure.

In retrospect, it's all too obvious that he's had one foot out the door since Summer. 

My only concern is that this was the first class (2022) where we were actually landing “elite” defensive line talent. 

That progress seems to be all gone now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

We know a 5 star QB has already withdrawn his commitment from OU, We know that Rattler is probably entering the transfer portal, and the Williams QB--does he stay or enter the portal also, and if you are Riley--which one would you want the most? 

Rattler is a better "fit" for what he'll want to do at USC, but don't they already have a current hotshot freshman? Also, with Malachi Nelson going to USC it looks like the present and future are set. If I'm Rattler OR Williams, I would not follow Riley. 

I think Rattler was leaving regardless of Riley. Williams, however, should stay. But it's all gonna depend on who OU hires. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Unfortunately, I don't see selling "hope" working out for Oklahoma like it has other places. 

For sure. That's why Castiglione has to absolutely crush this hire. We're at a crucial moment in this program's history. 

1 minute ago, LOL said:

I was hoping this as well, I was eager to see young Riley rise to the occasion and go from being a really good coach to one of the greats...  but that dream fell apart against Tulane. It was extremely obvious that sort of killer instinct is just missing from his DNA. It's just not who he is. 

That's fine. Like I said, he'll do well in USC...  eventually he'll probably take his game to the NFL. Why not. It's not like he has a home anywhere anymore. 

This year was an eye opener for him and a lot of people who somewhat follow OU. It was the first time he had to actually develop his QB instead of relying on the portal. Rattler got a pass last year being it his first year, but he couldn't get it done. And I think Caleb Williams has a lot of upside, but it took that kid improvising and pulling things out of his rear to save OU in a couple of games. 

Not sure if you or Val said it, but his teams have declined since he stepped in for Stoops. The record may not show it, but anyone who pays attention can see it. Grinch has done a good job improving the defense, but even still. I've been saying it for the past year or so, OU reached their ceiling with Riley, and it may be the best thing for them he's leaving. It's unfortunate that the options out there to replace him are slim, but OU will land a solid coach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

Rattler is a better "fit" for what he'll want to do at USC, but don't they already have a current hotshot freshman? Also, with Malachi Nelson going to USC it looks like the present and future are set. If I'm Rattler OR Williams, I would not follow Riley. 

I think Rattler was leaving regardless of Riley. Williams, however, should stay. But it's all gonna depend on who OU hires. 

Tue Freshman Jaxson Dart is at USC and that kid is much better than Rattler imo.

• Like 1

Just now, ETXfan16 said:

Not sure if you or Val said it, but his teams have declined since he stepped in for Stoops. The record may not show it, but anyone who pays attention can see it. Grinch has done a good job improving the defense, but even still. I've been saying it for the past year or so, OU reached their ceiling with Riley, and it may be the best thing for them he's leaving. It's unfortunate that the options out there to replace him are slim, but OU will land a solid coach.

I'm not gonna diminish what Riley did at OU, but let's face it: he was "gifted" three-straight NFL starting QBs.

Say what you want about Mayfield, but the dude has done nothing but prove people wrong his whole career. Murray is a damn cheat code, and Hurts will out-work anyone and everyone.

Rattler was Riley's first recruited QB. He was the guy Riley chose and has groomed for the QB1 role. I think that says plenty about both of them. 

Williams came here because of the Riley's reputation as a developer of NFL signal-callers and Heisman candidates. But in looking back over this season, it's obvious that Riley doesn't really understand his game or how best to use his skillset. If I'm in Caleb's ear, I tell him to hang tight to see who OU hires, but I do not encourage him to follow Riley.

It's obvious (now) that he won't be straight with Williams, Rattler, or anyone. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, JustAFan11 said:

How soon can you make that hire public though? NSD1 is 2 and 1/2 weeks and Lanning is going to be in the thick of a few huge games. 

C'mon man, as if signings mean anything? Shoot, what's to stop kids from just backing out of that?  :woot:

I'm kidding, but yeah, I'm already counting this year's class as a total loss. Only way we get any of those kids is after next year, via Transfer Portal. This year's class is gonna be doo-doo.  

1 minute ago, JustAFan11 said:

Will Bob be able to get kids to hold off on signing elsewhere until NSD2?

Short answer: No.

Bob never was a top-shelf recruiting guy. He was crackerjack at player development (at least early on) but he's wayyyy past his prime as a recruiter. 

• Like 1

Yeeeahhh I've never really been sold on Riley or Ryan Day for the same reasons. They were both handed well-oiled machines and have only been tasked with not screwing things up. Call me crazy, but I think a Stoops-coached 2017 team beats Georgia and possibly Alabama. And I think Urban at OSU would've at least competed for a title. I know OSU technically played for a title last year, but that game was no contest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

What you did at Alabama and Georgia probably won’t work at Oklahoma. 

I disagree. I think developing a hardcore culture with SEC physicality is the golden path forward. We've already done the whizz-bang offensive juggernaut stuff. It's fool's gold. 

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

I disagree. I think developing a hardcore culture with SEC physicality is the golden path forward. We've already done the whizz-bang offensive juggernaut stuff. It's fool's gold. 

Yep. That was Sumlin to a T. The "race to 40" game may be fun and all but it will get you blown out against a more physical team. Oh and when you can't move the ball, guys no longer keep that attitude and fire going. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LOL said:

Do you recruit for the Big12 game or the future SEC matchups?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Do you recruit for the Big12 game or the future SEC matchups?

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Why not both? Look what Aranda is doing at Baylor. Aranda is an SEC guy through and through. And toughness with strong defense may very well win the Big XII this year. 

The Big XII game is actually becoming more and more SEC-like with each year. Just think about it...  Okie State and Baylor are both built on the model of strong defense + ball-control offense. 

Regardless, OU needs to operate under the assumption that they're already in the SEC. The screwjobbing of Saturday night should make that all too clear. 

32 minutes ago, LOL said:

This is hilarious. You Sooner fans are so spoiled it's ridiculous. Your attitudes towards one of the best Coaches in the Country is laughable. Why would you put any trust in Joe C? Remember the John Blake days? Here we go....

1 minute ago, LOL said:

The Big XII game is actually becoming more and more SEC-like with each year. Just think about it...  Okie State and Baylor are both built on the model of strong defense + ball-control offense. 

Regardless, OU needs to operate under the assumption that they're already in the SEC. The screwjobbing of Saturday night should make that all too clear. 

Yep. The successful teams in the Big XII already are. Even Iowa State last year was doing it with 2-3 star guys. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

Yep. The successful teams in the Big XII already are. Even Iowa State last year was doing it with 2-3 star guys. 

It's also interesting how the SEC has become more offensively-advanced in recent years as well. I never thought I'd see a Saban-coached squad throw it all over the field like they have this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eagle34 said:

This is hilarious. You Sooner fans are so spoiled it's ridiculous. Your attitudes towards one of the best Coaches in the Country is laughable. Why would you put any trust in Joe C? Remember the John Blake days? Here we go....

Is Riley one of the best, though? He was handed an already-made program and won a lot of games against a conference that was largely down for the last few years. But when they got into the playoffs, the games weren't even close, other than that one Georgia game (which was literally the first year after Stoops was gone, so it was a team that he had built). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LOL said:

It's also interesting how the SEC has become more offensively-advanced in recent years as well. I never thought I'd see a Saban-coached squad throw it all over the field like they have this year. 

Yep. He went with the "if you can't beat em, join em" idea. He alway struggled with good, fast spread teams. A&M, Auburn under Malzahn, Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss.... So he finally just started doing the same thing with better players. LSU did it in 2019 too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yep. He went with the "if you can't beat em, join em" idea. He alway struggled with good, fast spread teams. A&M, Auburn under Malzahn, Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss.... So he finally just started doing the same thing with better players. LSU did it in 2019 too. 

For what it's worth, I'm still okay with having a dynamic offense, but I'm so over hiring "geniuses" to come in and reinvent the game. I'd settle for someone who wants to physically dominate opposing teams and "win ugly" if it means winning it all. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic