🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

16 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Yes. Career assistant. Figured Joe would go with more of a splash hire. Looks like he's going with the safe pick. I haven't seen Venables on any of the lists for the top jobs. 

He hired the best defensive mind in the sport not named Nick Saban.

That’s splashy enough for me.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

6 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I just spoke with Nick. Brady will be coming to Tuscaloosa to fill an “analyst” role that just opened up. 

Joe Brady still has a lot to learn.  Leaving LSU for the NFL wasn’t the worst move, but he literally went to a team with 1 player… and that 1 player has been hurt the past 2 seasons

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Joe Brady still has a lot to learn.  Leaving LSU for the NFL wasn’t the worst move, but he literally went to a team with 1 player… and that 1 player has been hurt the past 2 seasons

We’ve got lots of hurt players at BAMA. He should feel right at home. 

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

Yes. Career assistant. Figured Joe would go with more of a splash hire. Looks like he's going with the safe pick. I haven't seen Venables on any of the lists for the top jobs. 

How is he a safe hire?  He’s never been a HC before.  Bob Stoops is a safe hire.  This one is risky if you ask me

9 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

As a sole DC at ou he was .500 against Texas.  2004-2011. He was Co-DC from 1998-2003.  Who was he co with?

I’m going to focus on he has done the past decade. 

But yeah, he was .500 against Texas in the best stretch of the history of their program. That is not Texas anymore.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

How is he a safe hire?  He’s never been a HC before.  Bob Stoops is a safe hire.  This one is risky if you ask me

Wilkerson was never a HC. 

Switzer was never a HC.

Stoops was never a HC.

Riley was never a HC.

Having HC experience is an overrated thing that continually lures programs into making bad hires. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Wilkerson was never a HC. 

Switzer was never a HC.

Stoops was never a HC.

Riley was never a HC.

Having HC experience is an overrated thing that continually lures programs into making bad hires. 

Those guys were much younger I’d assume.  Stoops was mid 30’s right?  Venables has to be 50+

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It may not work out. Most coaching hires do not. 

BV not having HC experience will have nothing to do with whether he succeeds or fails.

He has Bob Stoops in his corner.  The doubters choose to ignore that

• Thanks 2

• Mr. P locked this topic