🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

36 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yes, I'm happy to have him back. 

In retrospect, I really believed Riley was going to live up to the hype. I thought we'd hired a young Bill Walsh, who was going to innovate the entire program and transform the culture into one of elite performance and the highest expectations. What we got was an off-brand Leach, without the charisma. 

But yeah, I'm totally glad to have Jerry Schmidt back (and the implicit culture change), actually more excited about Dennison (long term). I really hope he's being groomed to be the heir apparent to Schmitty. 

I died at the off brand Leach comment lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Yes, I'm happy to have him back. 

In retrospect, I really believed Riley was going to live up to the hype. I thought we'd hired a young Bill Walsh, who was going to innovate the entire program and transform the culture into one of elite performance and the highest expectations. What we got was an off-brand Leach, without the charisma. 

But yeah, I'm totally glad to have Jerry Schmidt back (and the implicit culture change), actually more excited about Dennison (long term). I really hope he's being groomed to be the heir apparent to Schmitty. 

Right on. We saw a night and day difference in the toughness and physical nature of our players on day one. I remember seeing Trayveon Williams walking around that fall and he was a freaking MAN who filled out under Schmitty. Hate to lose him- we had probably the best OL in the nation last year (top 2 for sure) and I feel like next year we will be salty as well, but that'll be more difficult without Schmitty.

The off-brand Leach had me in tears too. I read a really good book about Lincoln's offense and he DOES do some dynamic things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I died at the off brand Leach comment lol 

54 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The off-brand Leach had me in tears too. I read a really good book about Lincoln's offense and he DOES do some dynamic things. 

I'm totally Kenobi/Anakin with him: "You were the chosen one!" and thus my disappointment is immeasurable, but to be fair he is an excellent recruiter, one of the best OU's ever had. Also, his play design is second to none and (prior to the last couple seasons) he's been excellent at game-planning against opponent weaknesses... 

But I really don't feel like he's much of a HC, at least at this point. 

Maybe the move to USC will prove to be the best thing for him. Perhaps, in time, he'll figure it all out, and become the truly great coach we all wanted him to be. Time will tell. 

10 minutes ago, LOL said:

I'm totally Kenobi/Anakin with him: "You were the chosen one!" and thus my disappointment is immeasurable, but to be fair he is an excellent recruiter, one of the best OU's ever had. Also, his play design is second to none and (prior to the last couple seasons) he's been excellent at game-planning against opponent weaknesses... 

But I really don't feel like he's much of a HC, at least at this point. 

Maybe the move to USC will prove to be the best thing for him. Perhaps, in time, he'll figure it all out, and become the truly great coach we all wanted him to be. Time will tell. 

Agreed. He is an OC at this point. One I'd love to have. 

Like Kliff Kingsbury ala 2012. Amazing OC, didn't do so hot as a HC (at least until this year). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LOL said:

Interesting...  

I believe getting former players involved is a huge deal when it comes to sustaining tradition and success. Notre Dame and Miami were so good for years because idolizing their previous players was a big deal and when those guys came around they brought the team up. Bobby Taylor told me how guys like Tim Brown and Rocket Ismail came around when he was a player and the team was so excited to see them because they idolized those guys back when they were in HS.  Miami players literally used to have unsanctioned practices with previous Miami guys, so you had college kids "practicing" in no pads against guys like Michael Irvin, who was lighting up the NFL. 

Now I'm not saying OU needs to implement unsanctioned practices with NFL guys, but having them come around brings the team up. I remember when Von Miller came back to visit A&M a couple years ago, Jimbo told him, "You're always welcome here. You helped build all this, and I want you to come around more- we're better when you come around." I believe that. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I hate it. Ted Roof is the best we can do?

Brent's quote on Roof:

"Ted is one of the most experienced coordinators and one of the best teachers in all of college football, and he's done it in some of the premier conferences in the sport – the SEC, Big Ten and ACC. He has a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience, most of which has been in the southeastern part of the country where he is very well connected. He's been a head coach, is a fabulous recruiter and is one of the most revered players in Georgia Tech history from his time as a linebacker there. We're fortunate to have a person of his stature lead our defense, and he's going to make us stronger and tougher on that side of the ball."

One of my OU sources said it's pretty much an "open secret" that Caleb Williams is gone after the bowl game, either to USC or Georgia. 

Tried to confirm that with a different OU source and he said he hasn't heard anything solid about transfer, and CW hasn't tipped his hand at all. 

Val, you heard anything?

5 hours ago, LOL said:

One of my OU sources said it's pretty much an "open secret" that Caleb Williams is gone after the bowl game, either to USC or Georgia. 

Tried to confirm that with a different OU source and he said he hasn't heard anything solid about transfer, and CW hasn't tipped his hand at all. 

Val, you heard anything?

I don’t think anyone knows either way yet honestly. 

I’m not sure I would pass up playing for Lebby to go to Georgia. Kirby always picks the wrong QB.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I’m not sure I would pass up playing for Lebby...

Right? Or even to play for Liel-ly out in USC. Not only for the trust issues but the fact that Lebby's offense seems tailored for Caleb's skillset, far more so than LR's "always throw it deep" technique he's been doing lately. 

Quick-hit passing, zone-read running, aggressive tempo. Corral flourished in it, and Williams would as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Why decommit in the first place?

Right? I mean, at this point, why even bother with verbal/Twitter commitments? Between the flip-flopping and the transfer portal, it's a waste of time to worry about verbal commits. 

#### like this is why it's hard for me to get into recruiting.

"Woohoo! So glad that Johnny Smith committed to OU!"

[two days later] "Aw crap, Johnny Smith flipped to ____! Well that's okay we didn't want him anyway!"

[a week later] "YESSSS! Johnny Smith has flipped back to OU! Playoffs here we come!"

[repeat]

19 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Why decommit in the first place?  And then commit to another school for a few days, then back to original commitment?  Seems flaky, but the dad got what he wanted.

10 minutes ago, LOL said:

Right? I mean, at this point, why even bother with verbal/Twitter commitments? Between the flip-flopping and the transfer portal, it's a waste of time to worry about verbal commits. 

#### like this is why it's hard for me to get into recruiting.

"Woohoo! So glad that Johnny Smith committed to OU!"

[two days later] "Aw crap, Johnny Smith flipped to ____! Well that's okay we didn't want him anyway!"

[a week later] "YESSSS! Johnny Smith has flipped back to OU! Playoffs here we come!"

[repeat]

I mean with this kid specifically?

The kid had been committed to Oklahoma for like two years. I don't think they even took other visits. He decommitted when Riley left [I personally don't really have an issue with that].

He takes a visit to Austin that weekend where he probably had $$$ and hope thrown at him the whole time and he committed. I don't think that his parent even knew he was going to commit [I am also not sure they went on the visit with him either].

The next day the one of the best LB coaches in the nation gets named the HC of the place where he had already been committed to for two years. He meets with BV and that's the beginning of the end for Texas.

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic