🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Yes, he is a bad locker room fit. He is a Tate Martell 2.0

OU fans weren't calling for Caleb just because Rattler struggled, it was because Rattler thought of himself and talked about himself like he was Baker, Kyler, or Jalen just because he was QB1 at OU when he's not in the same realm as them. 

Yeah, and there's also a lot of "extra-curricular" stuff that went into this from boots on the ground in Norman. Stuff that still hasn't made it to the message boards and Tweets. But the hangers-on/fans were willing to let it slide until his on-field performance tapered off.

There's also serious questions about the playcalling, but that's for a different thread.  ;) 

OU football seeking the perfect balance of style and substance: https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/ou-football-seeking-the-perfect-balance-of-style-and-substance

Key excerpt:

Riley and Stoops were both criticized for essentially the same things.

Stoops wasn’t social media savvy enough. Riley revolutionized social media at OU, but also used it to add a certain flash to the program that some feel sent the wrong message.

Stoops had Jerry Schmidt and there was always controversy about whether he was too hard on players and ran off talented players. Riley was criticized for Bennie Wylie not being hard enough on players and not developing players who could last for four quarters.

It’s been two different approaches and neither has produced the national title fans crave over the last decade. The balance between recruiting-centric and football-centric approaches hasn’t been achieved.

In the end, Lincoln Riley wasn’t the guy for Oklahoma. OU football was too big for him. He chose to leave for a job he felt would fit his coaching style and his personality better. And to be honest, it might be a perfect fit. It’s less of a meat grinder than Oklahoma. It’s a down program. The glitz and glam will be more accepted by a less rabid fanbase in Los Angeles.

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Yeah, and there's also a lot of "extra-curricular" stuff that went into this from boots on the ground in Norman. Stuff that still hasn't made it to the message boards and Tweets. But the hangers-on/fans were willing to let it slide until his on-field performance tapered off.

There's also serious questions about the playcalling, but that's for a different thread.  ;) 

This begs me to ask... Do you think Riley had been in talks with SC for some time? I heard reports that they were chatting back in August. The reason I ask is because this year Riley just seemed over it, and maybe that was a reason for the inconsistent play throughout the year..?🤔

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

This begs me to ask... Do you think Riley had been in talks with SC for some time? I heard reports that they were chatting back in August. The reason I ask is because this year Riley just seemed over it, and maybe that was a reason for the inconsistent play throughout the year..?🤔

Riley, personally, no.  His agent?  VERY LIKELY.  From the time that USC even thought about opening that position, I guarantee you that they reached out to 2-3 agents to just gauge interest.  Also, the fact that we didn't hear about coaches getting extension after extension with ties to the USC job, screams to the idea that they have had their guy for a while.  Almost all of the salary bumps have been in ties to LSU.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Riley, personally, no.  His agent?  VERY LIKELY.  From the time that USC even thought about opening that position, I guarantee you that they reached out to 2-3 agents to just gauge interest.  Also, the fact that we didn't hear about coaches getting extension after extension with ties to the USC job, screams to the idea that they have had their guy for a while.  Almost all of the salary bumps have been in ties to LSU.  

Sorry, meant Riley's camp. But I agree. They knew exactly who they were going after, and I think it wasn't a secret that Riley wasn't a fan of the SEC move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

OU football seeking the perfect balance of style and substance: https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/ou-football-seeking-the-perfect-balance-of-style-and-substance

Key excerpt:

Riley and Stoops were both criticized for essentially the same things.

Stoops wasn’t social media savvy enough. Riley revolutionized social media at OU, but also used it to add a certain flash to the program that some feel sent the wrong message.

Stoops had Jerry Schmidt and there was always controversy about whether he was too hard on players and ran off talented players. Riley was criticized for Bennie Wylie not being hard enough on players and not developing players who could last for four quarters.

It’s been two different approaches and neither has produced the national title fans crave over the last decade. The balance between recruiting-centric and football-centric approaches hasn’t been achieved.

In the end, Lincoln Riley wasn’t the guy for Oklahoma. OU football was too big for him. He chose to leave for a job he felt would fit his coaching style and his personality better. And to be honest, it might be a perfect fit. It’s less of a meat grinder than Oklahoma. It’s a down program. The glitz and glam will be more accepted by a less rabid fanbase in Los Angeles.

Boom. With the relocation of the Rams and Chargers and the rise of the Dodgers and Lakers, SC has taken a back seat and I think will continue to do so. Could they have success? Yes, in 12 team playoff I can see it, but Lincoln Riley going to USC isn't going to keep every 4 and 5 star in California out of the SEC.

• Like 1

I concur with the above. I believe that Riley was smart enough to maintain plausible deniability by letting his representatives handle all the backroom dealings, at the same time I also believe he's been looking for his out. 

Do I think it was a reaction to the SEC dealings? Not entirely, but I don't think it helped the situation. I believe his actions of late have demonstrated that this is exactly what he wanted all along. I've been very outspoken about my disagreement with his philosophy and culture. 

It's okay, I get it. But like I said, I just wish he'd handled it less duplicitously. There was a way he could've communicated his desire for his ambitions and his family without outright lying to his players and the OU community. But it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Boom. With the relocation of the Rams and Chargers and the rise of the Dodgers and Lakers, SC has taken a back seat and I think will continue to do so. Could they have success? Yes, in 12 team playoff I can see it, but Lincoln Riley going to USC isn't going to keep every 4 and 5 star in California out of the SEC.

Especially once his soft culture start resulting in "shocking" upsets to the Oregon States and Utah A&Ms of the Pac12. 

4 hours ago, LOL said:

Especially once his soft culture start resulting in "shocking" upsets to the Oregon States and Utah A&Ms of the Pac12. 

Skip Bayless actually made a good point. He said don’t be surprised when Lincoln Riley can’t beat a Washington state or Stanford every year. He’s known for having a kryptonite team (Iowa state) that he struggles to beat every season 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Skip Bayless actually made a good point. He said don’t be surprised when Lincoln Riley can’t beat a Washington state or Stanford every year. He’s known for having a kryptonite team (Iowa state) that he struggles to beat every season 

Remember that Skip Bayless is a biased OU homer. Riley lost 7 regular season games in 5 years. You would expect similar 11-1  regular seasons, conference championships and playoff appearances at USC. 

9 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Hearing two names associated. Venebles and.....Mike Leach

I'm hearing that Venebles is money in the bank, but the only holdup is that Castiglione is shooting his shot with "a much bigger fish."  WDnfTzT.gif

13 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

He's always going to have a talent disparity in his favor at USC. That's never going to be a problem, and he'll continue to win 85 percent of his games.

The Trojans can look forward to Pac 12 dominance for the duration of Riley's tenure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

Remember that Skip Bayless is a biased OU homer. Riley lost 7 regular season games in 5 years. You would expect similar 11-1  regular seasons, conference championships and playoff appearances at USC. 

Yes I'm aware, but I would think that someone who goes 11-1 in the big 12 every year should easily be able to go undefeated in a depleted PAC every year with a juggernaut SC. But Riley has his weaknesses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

But Riley has his weaknesses.

Dude is an A-1 recruiter. No doubt. And he's demonstrated an adroit moral flexibility for attaining top talent no matter how despicable the methods. He's also exceptional at play design. 

But when it comes to in-game adjustments, not so much. He's also lax with conditioning and instilling mental toughness, but those are probably advantages at his current location. 

I expect him to struggle with the kind of aggressive physical football Utah plays right now. Oregon will also be a thorn in his side, as they have resources and a pretty solid culture of winning. The UCLA rivalry will be one to watch initially, but I expect it to eventually turn as one-sided as OU/Okie State was for most of his career here. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What’s going on with OU and compliance? I’m assuming it’s to do with Riley having his coaches double recruit for OU and USC?

Oklahoma has a super hands on compliance department unlike much of our future conference mates. It has been a frustration of the fans, and potentially one of the issues that made Riley look around according to some sources. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic