2017 Carthage - Best Bulldog Team Ever?

BevBrownJr

Ten interesting facts:

1. Since the 2017 Bulldogs won the school's 6th state football championship in 10 years with a perfect 16-0 record, many have opined that this has been the best CHS team.  The 2017 preseason edition of Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine picked CHS as its choice to be the best Class 4A Division 1 team in the state.  The defending state champions returned 3 First Team All-Staters, two senior WRs in Dee Bowens and Dewaylon Ingram who had combined for over 1,850 yards in receptions in 2016, and 2 big and strong senior LBs in Mykel Gates and Ahmad Brown (returned after playing in Crockett his junior year).

2.  CHS averaged over 46 points a game, scoring less than 40 only once (a 35-0 shutout of district rival Henderson in the regional championship game).

3.  The most exciting regular-season game was the final non-district game of the season, a thrilling come-from-behind 48-28 win in Gilmer before a standing-room-only crowd.  Both the Buckeyes and Bulldogs were ranked #1 in their 4A divisions at the time.

4.  The bi-district win came over a 4-win Huffman-Hargrave team.  CHS junior CB Jacorey Ware, whose late brother had been an All-State DB at CHS, had 3 of his season's 8 interceptions in this game (all in the first half if my memory is correct).

5.  CHS beat Brazosport 45-21 in the second round of the playoffs.  The Exporters had won their bi-district game the previous week by the score of 66-0.  They didn't enjoy the second round nearly as much.

6.  The third-round game came against frequent playoff opponent Silsbee.  The final score was 64-36, with most (perhaps all) of the Bulldogs' scoring coming in the spectacular first half.

7.  For the second year in a row, the Bulldogs met district rival Henderson for a rematch in the playoffs.  The Bulldogs had prevailed in the district contest by 25 points.  The regional championship game wasn't as close, as referenced in #2 above.

8. The closest game of the year came in the state semifinals in the Ford Center in Frisco.  In this matchup of two undefeated teams, the state championship team was essentially determined a week before the actual crowning.  CHS won 46-39, as these two teams met in the semifinals for the 2nd time in 3 years.

9.  Kennedale lost to the Bulldogs 49-21 in the state championship game.  Junior QB Gunner Capps threw for 365 yards and senior RB Keaontay Ingram averaged 11 yards a carry as the Bulldogs had 617 yards of offense.  The Wildcats scored 2 touchdowns late to make the final score look more respectable. 

10.  The Texas Sportswriters Association named 5 Bulldogs as First Team All-Staters and 2 more to its All-State Second Team.  The First Teamers were QB Capps (3,856 yards passing and 49 TDs; the 4th of Coach Surratt's QBs to be named First Team All-State; now playing for Sam Houston); RB Ingram (2nd year in a row to be named Class 4A's Offensive Player of the Year and First-Team All-State; was rated by some recruiting services as the top high school RB in the state during this season; has played at the University of Texas for the past 3 years); senior C Nate Brittenham (at 6-0, 230, he led the O-line, which wasn't nearly as large as those since); LB Gates (2nd year in a row to be named First Team All-State; at 225 pounds, he was the 2nd-largest of CHS's starting LBs that year; played 4 years on the varsity); senior DB Mekhi Colbert (another senior Bulldog named First Team All-State for the 2nd consecutive year; was superb as a WR, DB, and kick returner).  The two Second Team All-Staters were WR Dee Bowens (scored on a 76-yards pass reception and a 39-yard run in the state championship game; now plays at Sam Houston, along with Capps and WR Dewaylon Ingram) and senior OT Jesse Wayne Pierce (at 6-4 and 235 pounds, he was about 100 pounds lighter than more recent Bulldog OTs, but he was as tough as they come).     

• Thanks 1

My vote goes to the 2020 Dawgs because of the best defense I have seen since Katy tigers in the area of spread offenses. 
Daingerfield 83 will always be the best ever but this Dawg defense (starters ) only allowed I think Maybe 50 points in 14 games. 
In today’s high powered offenses, only allowing 50 points in 14 games is unheard of. The first four games they played were against top ten teams in the state. 

11 hours ago, Texlov said:

Can't argue with this choice of Carthage teams. Wish they could have played the 2017 Pleasant Grove team.

Carthage would have beat the PG team in 2017.   Would have been similar to the last few games where PG can’t score many against the Dawgs.   

• Like 3

On 1/2/2021 at 4:05 PM, BevBrownJr said:

Ten interesting facts:

4.  The bi-district win came over a 4-win Huffman-Hargrave team.  CHS junior CB Jacorey Ware, whose late brother had been an All-State DB at CHS, had 3 of his season's 8 interceptions in this game (all in the first half if my memory is correct).

Fun fact about nugget (Jacorey Ware).

He was originally apart of that Longview SR group that won it all in 2018.

Played at Foster MS with the likes of Kamden Perry, Jessie Anderson, Jephaniah Lister which was one of the best Foster teams that I can remember.

Was always a good player....destined to win a title.

• Like 1

Guest Foodforthought
22 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

We could be witnessing the greatest program of all of football. Aledo is a close 2nd . 

2nd?? Hmmm....

Overall record

Aledo 563-288-10

Carthage 651-365-40

Win percentage 

Aledo 65.3%

Carthage 61.6

Playoff record

Aledo 109-27-1

Carthage 83-28-1

Overall championships

Aledo 9 (Aledo 8 titles in 11 years)

Carthage 8 (8 titles in 13 years)

8 minutes ago, Guest Foodforthought said:

2nd?? Hmmm....

Overall record

Aledo 563-288-10

Carthage 651-365-40

Win percentage 

Aledo 65.3%

Carthage 61.6

Playoff record

Aledo 109-27-1

Carthage 83-28-1

Overall championships

Aledo 9 (Aledo 8 titles in 11 years)

Carthage 8 (8 titles in 13 years)

Yep, I am one of the biggest Carthage fans around, but Aledo is #1.

Carthage is doing everything it can to catch them, but Aledo is great too. 
It is a lot of fun to watch these fantastic programs in their respective classifications.

Go Dawgs!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

I get the excitement and pride in Carthage football, but could these 6 separate threads not be 1? Whole first page is the history of Carthage. 

I think he’s a newer poster here. I think it’s cool, how informative the posts are. But I can see how it might be grating for some. All in good fun I’m sure.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:36 AM, BlackShirtD said:

Carthage would have beat the PG team in 2017.   Would have been similar to the last few games where PG can’t score many against the Dawgs.   

Not saying PG would have beaten Carthage, but the Hawks were incredible on offense and defense and their linemen were huge and incredible. I think PG prevailed in the playoffs against a tougher overall schedule.

7 hours ago, Texlov said:

Not saying PG would have beaten Carthage, but the Hawks were incredible on offense and defense and their linemen were huge and incredible. I think PG prevailed in the playoffs against a tougher overall schedule.

Carthage probably would’ve won that game by 21 points. Those linebackers in 2017 were unbelievable.

The PG defense would’ve been torched by the CHS offense. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

The 2019 Sr’s that played 3 years on varsity were 46-1 I think.  16, 14, 16

Didn’t that class have a couple of guys get special team playing time as freshmen on varsity(like returning kickoffs) ? .......Not positive by any means, just thinking that was the case.