Crosby vs. Liberty Hill-- State Semi Final

dme1111

12 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Agree. They run it better than any team I have seen. In 2018 they set the national rushing record if I’m not mistaken, but those state championship teams in 06’ and 07’ were even better IMO. When Carthage played them in 2007 you literally did not know who had the ball. Frustrating to watch, but you cannot argue with the results. 

Very frustrating to watch! Then seeing the highlights of their game against Generic High School just makes it all the more infuriating. 
Number 42 for LH would be dead last on the RB depth chart at Carthage and definitely wouldn’t start at FB ahead of Stuart. 
The shell game gets the absolute most out of the limited athleticism their players possess and that is commendable. Also, they run the offense better than anyone. 
When we played Salado I thought to myself how much better LH ran it in ‘07 and ‘18. 
I too think the ‘07 team ran it best and I believe that team had better, faster running backs as well. 

I’ve stated my displeasure with the slot-t on SDC in the past, but you must give it (LH) credit for the success they’ve had with it.

🤢

6 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Very successful with the change in moving up a class. I  am surprised LH is still playing.  That usually doesn’t happen. 

No, it doesn’t.   And the discrepancy in 5AD2 numbers is so much larger than 5AD1 or any below.  And I think Crosby is very near moving up.   LH Achilles Heel is that they rarely pass, so the question is, can they?   When Vidor, who runs the Slot T, beat Crosby last year, it wasn’t so much with the run, it was passing.  Vidor had 186 yds passing.  Probably match the total output for the rest of the year, lol.  Crosby put everyone in the box to stop the run.  Receivers were so wide open they had to wait on passes, and DC never adjusted.   Never seen such a poorly coached D in a game.  Vidor scored 37, which was the highest in District, with Nederland getting 29, so they had a good D, except for the Slot T.   But new DC this year.  It’ll be interesting.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/vidor-pirates-(vidor,tx)/football-fall-19/videos.htm?videoid=60f9541e-ac69-4289-a18f-04428cf28bbe

3 minutes ago, EazyMoney said:

If they have only thrown 12 passes all year, then probably no.  I think it’s Live or Die.  

No doubt they’ll be trying to block better athletes than Pioneer had.  They best be up to the task.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hagar said:

LH Achilles Heel is that they rarely pass, so the question is, can they?  

Easy answer, "No."  LH cannot pass effectively enough to make a difference in a game at this point in the season.  They got behind LaVega in the championship a few years ago and tried to make some passes, but couldn't get it done.  That hasn't changed.  LH will need to stay with 1 - 2 scores and not be playing catch-up in order to be successful in this matchup.  

11 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Easy answer, "No."  LH cannot pass effectively enough to make a difference in a game at this point in the season.  They got behind LaVega in the championship a few years ago and tried to make some passes, but couldn't get it done.  That hasn't changed.  LH will need to stay with 1 - 2 scores and not be playing catch-up in order to be successful in this matchup.  

Vidor was pretty much a zero passing team, but Crosby went all in for stopping the run.   I posted Vidor had 186 yds passing against Crosby, and seriously, I doubt Vidor had 300 yds passing for the season.  I doubt the new DC will be that crazy though.   Still, though many hate the Slot T, when well executed, it is hard to tell who has the ball.  I enjoy watching it.

12 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Anxious to see this game. Slot T is hard to stop, especially if you don't see it much. Crosby is very athletic though. 

They have defended the slot t before. They've had 2 teams in their district that ran it so they will be ready

On 1/4/2021 at 7:10 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Very successful with the change in moving up a class. I  am surprised LH is still playing.  That usually doesn’t happen. 

Liberty Hill has had 5A numbers for at least ten years. They count their kids with dominion ballot machines.

• LOL! 3

Guest Willieotey

I think Crosby wins by 30pts . You see thier defense ? How they going to stop us ? They can't match our speed on offense and they can't cover a pass .   Come on we seen the slot T and they to slow to run on our d . Common man

On 1/3/2021 at 10:40 PM, BulldogBacker12 said:

Crosby has to be a pretty big favorite right? They have had a hell of a playoff run. Beat #5, #4 and #3 ranked teams in consecutive weeks. Not taking anything away from LH, but I would imagine they have benefited from being in R4. Would be a great story for LH to make it to the state game in their 1st season in 5a with what happened with their coach passing away during the season. Hope they can pull it out.

Crosby is favored by 6 points on texasfootball.com

8 hours ago, Guest Willieotey said:

I think Crosby wins by 30pts . You see thier defense ? How they going to stop us ? They can't match our speed on offense and they can't cover a pass .   Come on we seen the slot T and they to slow to run on our d . Common man

All due respect this one won’t be that lopsided.  Crosby is a slight favorite at best.  I will not be surprised to see LH pull out a W by 4 or fewer points.

• Like 2

I coached at Crosby in the mid 90’s and we were pretty good and very athletic. I seriously doubt anything has changed much in Crosby and the one thing that those kids were is they weren’t disciplined. They played on athletic ability and it drove me crazy. That’s why my Crosby tenure was 2 years. Great kids but just not disciplined. To defend the option, wing T and slot T you have to be disciplined. I haven’t seen either team. The last time I saw Crosby play was when I was coaching there in 95, last time I saw LH was the last time they played for the SC at the Death Star. I think it’ll be close.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, randomuser said:

I coached at Crosby in the mid 90’s and we were pretty good and very athletic. I seriously doubt anything has changed much in Crosby and the one thing that those kids were is they weren’t disciplined. They played on athletic ability and it drove me crazy. That’s why my Crosby tenure was 2 years. Great kids but just not disciplined. To defend the option, wing T and slot T you have to be disciplined. I haven’t seen either team. The last time I saw Crosby play was when I was coaching there in 95, last time I saw LH was the last time they played for the SC at the Death Star. I think it’ll be close.

They are pretty disciplined this year and have been for quite a while. 

On 1/4/2021 at 2:27 PM, EazyMoney said:

If they have only thrown 12 passes all year, then probably no.  I think it’s Live or Die.  

I wouldn't push all my chips to the middle of the table and gamble on them not being able to pass. Seems to me that their opponents haven't effectively put them in situations to have to pass. A run heavy team will continue to pound the ball if they can. If Crosby can get a defensive push up front and get defenders in the backfield LH may try and pass to ease the run pressure. 

1 hour ago, Cougar239 said:

I wouldn't push all my chips to the middle of the table and gamble on them not being able to pass. Seems to me that their opponents haven't effectively put them in situations to have to pass. A run heavy team will continue to pound the ball if they can. If Crosby can get a defensive push up front and get defenders in the backfield LH may try and pass to ease the run pressure. 

And throw ducks, because they don’t throw for a reason and would likely throw interceptions.

• Like 1

Vidor, for the most part, gave Crosby fits, for the very reason randomuser said.   Their D was undisciplined, and would go for the first fake, leaving running room for the ball carrier.  New DC, maybe they’re better now.   One thing, LH has several 70+ yds TD’s.   Crosby will chase then down.  LH may still score, but I doubt they get any 70+ runs.  Lol, but I’ve been wrong before.  😂