2020 3A D1 Overachievers/Underachievers

FootballETX95

4 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

You have Sabine underachieving more than Gladewater? 

I agree Gladewater was a disappointment. I expected at least two rounds. Once a team figured out all they had to do was throw on GWs defensive backs, they would have a fighters chance. As for Sabine, they had enough talent to finish 4th place even after their stud DE was lost for the season. Sabine exposed a lot of teams defensive weaknesses, but didn't stick with it (ex: pass the ball just as much as run the ball prior to getting down by two or more TDs). 

Guest Tiger03lb
12 minutes ago, FootballETX95 said:

Tatum impressed me this year also, although I'm somewhat bias due to family ties. The QB looked impressive and the run game, WOW! Tatum will be something to deal with next year especially when some teams are graduating some studs. 

Tatum should be a regional finalists next season. If they don’t make it, it'll be due to coaching. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Tatum should be a regional finalists next season. If they don’t make it, it'll be due to coaching. 

Totally agree. The region weakens going into next year. Other districts that are graduating a lot talent. MV/Potts are losing some top tier talent just to name a couple. "Our" district should be bumping heads in the playoffs. 

If not, it'll be due to coaching. 

Guest Tiger03lb

Overachievers-MV, Groesbeck, Tatum, West, WO, Winny, Minny, Paradise, JN, Pilot Point, Diboll, Yoakum, Lago Vista, Blanco, McGregor 

Underachievers-Koff, GW, GV, Fairfield, Atlanta, Sabine, Brock, Rockdale, Yoe, East Chambers, Troy

I'm probably missing a couple, just thinking off the top of my head on this and from memory. Top team that brings back everyone will be JN. We'll be seeing some old teams but new faces come up next season. Should be another good season with some regions with no clear favorite. 

Guest Tiger03lb
16 minutes ago, FootballETX95 said:

Totally agree. The region weakens going into next year. Other districts that are graduating a lot talent. MV/Potts are losing some top tier talent just to name a couple. "Our" district should be bumping heads in the playoffs. 

If not, it'll be due to coaching. 

I wouldn't count out MV. Could see Madison go farther if they get the whole season in.

I got Tatum winning the district 

Too many unknowns for Koff/GV at a lot of skilled positions. They both are replacing about the same positions on each side

Yeah, even good coaches can out coach themselves. Just hope covid is gone by then. 

1 minute ago, Tiger03lb said:

I wouldn't count out MV. Could see Madison go farther if they get the whole season in.

Too many unknowns for Koff/GV at a lot of skilled positions. They both are replacing about the same positions on each side

Yeah, even good coaches can out coach themselves. Just hope covid is gone by then. 

I have Tatum winning district also, just didn't want to be the first to say it. GW will make noise as long as they have Allen. The same could be said for Sabine if the coaches use the talent correctly. Their QB is a better WR and the DC gotta have some sense, you have two stud CBs, move them back to CB and run a defensive scheme that fits your personnel, not the opposite. GV/Koff both are losing some key players. 

Guest Tiger03lb
2 minutes ago, FootballETX95 said:

I have Tatum winning district also, just didn't want to be the first to say it. GW will make noise as long as they have Allen. The same could be said for Sabine if the coaches use the talent correctly. Their QB is a better WR and the DC gotta have some sense, you have two stud CBs, move them back to CB and run a defensive scheme that fits your personnel, not the opposite. GV/Koff both are losing some key players. 

I'll say it. Lol. If Tatum can get their defense in tune they'll be really good. I was really surprised by their defense this year, it has been one of the better defenses I've seen from them the past few years. Surprised they not saying they are going to win state already. 😆

5 minutes ago, FootballETX95 said:

Sabine will miss the speedy WR that's graduating this year. His numbers will be hard to replace. When it's all said and done, playoff positioning will come down to the old foes... GW/Tatum/WO/Sabine and maybe ATL. 

I was not at the GW playoff game due to work. Have asked some of my GW buds what happened, but didn't get a clear answer. I knew MV would be a problem bc of their passing game. Sabine gave other teams the blueprint on how to hang (not necessarily beat) GW. Bad thing is that Sabine abandoned the perfect game plan. Never will understand why. All they had to do is continue setting up the run with the pass and  get out of that "vanilla" defense they were in. Sabine's DC must never heard of Cover 2 Man and Cover 2 Zone. That's how other teams were able to contain Allen. A real DC is needed over in Sabine.

Guest Tiger03lb
42 minutes ago, FootballETX95 said:

I was not at the GW playoff game due to work. Have asked some of my GW buds what happened, but didn't get a clear answer. I knew MV would be a problem bc of their passing game. Sabine gave other teams the blueprint on how to hang (not necessarily beat) GW. Bad thing is that Sabine abandoned the perfect game plan. Never will understand why. All they had to do is continue setting up the run with the pass and  get out of that "vanilla" defense they were in. Sabine's DC must never heard of Cover 2 Man and Cover 2 Zone. That's how other teams were able to contain Allen. A real DC is needed over in Sabine.

GW didn't make any adjustments on defense at all in the secondary. They couldn't handle the qb running the ball. 

Imo, GW got away from what they normally do on offense. Stopped running the ball at times and went straight passing. Had a costly turnover early in the 2nd half. 

In the second half GW got outcoached but with the talent GW had, they were still in the game, if that makes sense. 

12 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

Tatum will have to beat GW to win district and we all know how that usually goes. 

15 hours ago, FootballETX95 said:

Who would have put at qb for Sabine last year instead of Burns? I agree he is a very good wide receiver. 

Guest Tiger03lb
3 hours ago, BearFan13 said:

Tatum will have to beat GW to win district and we all know how that usually goes. 

It really depends on the qb play and o-line with GW this upcoming season. If you can't get Allen the ball, it won't matter. GW defense has always been the same, imo. 

Guest Tiger03lb
1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

Y’all won’t have covid to help y’all this coming season. 

So Tatum is winning state next season?