Atlanta

dillonpanthers

From what I hear discipline is the key issue in Atl. Basic things like attendance to practice.  Makes me think outside hire if true. This is a good job but has its challenges. Maybe some unreal expectations. The "athlete" pool that is bragged about so much about in Atl may be running a little shorter than normal. Since they've dropped to 3A they haven't done anything spectacular in any sport including the glorious track program. Basketball may finally make a run on the back of a 5 star's senior year. Potential is there and this is a great job, but it won't be a magic fix. Need someone to come in and get it right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

From what I hear discipline is the key issue in Atl. Basic things like attendance to practice.  Makes me think outside hire if true. This is a good job but has its challenges. Maybe some unreal expectations. The "athlete" pool that is bragged about so much about in Atl may be running a little shorter than normal. Since they've dropped to 3A they haven't done anything spectacular in any sport including the glorious track program. Basketball may finally make a run on the back of a 5 star's senior year. Potential is there and this is a great job, but it won't be a magic fix. Need someone to come in and get it right. 

You touched on some good subjects. I'd still say that the athlete pool is pretty deep in Atlanta, maybe a few less since dropping. I haven't kept up with track much, but I do know they're suffering the same lack of commitment the football team was, as I've heard stories.  The basketball team is riding the 5 star recruit, but they did have another kid last year that was a potential D1 prospect, but due to COVID he decided to go the baseball route instead, and I fully expect him to be pitching D1 in the next year. Baseball team has been solid, looked for them to make a state run last year before COVID stopped life. Sub-varsity has been more than solid. I'm pretty sure Atlanta's 9th grade class went undefeated in 8th grade, the 8th grade class now has never lost, and neither has the 7th grade. Little league teams seem to be great too (not that it makes much difference, but can be an early indicator of talent to come). 

Where you did hit it out of the park though was with the lack of discipline. The school board knows how bad it is, and they're making no bones about the fact that it won't be an overnight fix, and they're definitely taking it into account when looking at applicants.

I do urge any coaches that do read this however, to apply. The community is great, the school is great, and the talent is there, without a doubt. Some bad eggs have surfaced, and most either have moved or will graduate, or both. The talent is coming as well. Lots of great things to be said about the younger kids coming up, and will only get better with the right coaching staff that can help get these kids MENTALLY prepared and committed.

• Like 1

I know Matt McClure and I have known him for years going back to when we competed against each other in HS. I coached at South Grand Prairie and Arlington HS coaching against Matt. He was probably Jerry Bomar’s best coach at Grand Prairie HS. He went from being Bomar’s OC to his DC because Grand Prairie couldn’t play any defense before Matt was moved over. I know he played for Bomar in HS but him not having discipline is beyond me. I’ve always thought he was a dam good coach and his squads were always disciplined. I guess it all boils down to going back home to coach and boy I’m glad I never tried to pull that off. I would say those in Atlanta look at Matt and think of him as 18 year old Matt McClure, Atlanta Rabbit ball player.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:42 AM, randomuser said:

I know Matt McClure and I have known him for years going back to when we competed against each other in HS. I coached at South Grand Prairie and Arlington HS coaching against Matt. He was probably Jerry Bomar’s best coach at Grand Prairie HS. He went from being Bomar’s OC to his DC because Grand Prairie couldn’t play any defense before Matt was moved over. I know he played for Bomar in HS but him not having discipline is beyond me. I’ve always thought he was a dam good coach and his squads were always disciplined. I guess it all boils down to going back home to coach and boy I’m glad I never tried to pull that off. I would say those in Atlanta look at Matt and think of him as 18 year old Matt McClure, Atlanta Rabbit ball player.

To be fair, McClure has had lots of success at Atlanta. I have not and will not forget Atlanta going 2-8, 3-7, and 1-9 the 3 years prior to his arrival. There were some 12-14 kids that went to play JUCO ball from those classes. They were loaded with talent. Nobody makes any bones about the fact the program is definitely in better shape than it was when he came here. I'm not sure the reasoning behind the sudden slump, but this was a decision McClure himself made, so he must have felt there needed to be change as well. I mean, even with the long successful tenure of Scharnberg, there came a time when change was needed, they just changed the wrong direction lol. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

Is this wildcat the head man? and did he win these rings at his current school as the head man?

If he had rings tg his current place then Atlanta would be willing to Keel for this hire. 

• Like 1