Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Mudman246 said:

i  always thought the first thing you ask yourself when hiring a coach was, is he a winner? and can he when championships here?....  but apparently that's not the case in Atlanta ...  but that is beyond my pay grade so i will have to like it or lump it i guess....

He was at least competitive at hallsville. That probably the goal right not for Atlanta. Anyone expecting more is being ridiculous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most coaches are just going to go work at McDonalds for the new $15 minimum wage. Then, they'll be able to get revenge by spitting on the Big Macs of all the parents that have cussed them from the sta

I've had several quality coaches reach out to me about this job...assistants and head coaches.....Atlanta is going to have a real good pool of applicants to choose from....

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

ATL fan(s) seem to think they deserve better? Lol

What's funny is that the way you accuse Atlanta fans of acting is literally how YOU act in your opinion of Tatum.

Personally, I don't really know what to make of the hire. I guess we'll see. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

What's funny is that the way you accuse Atlanta fans of acting is literally how YOU act in your opinion of Tatum.

Personally, I don't really know what to make of the hire. I guess we'll see. 

 

Ok. I’ll bite. 
 

Show me where I ever said I wasn’t happy with a Tatum hire...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Ok. I’ll bite. 
 

Show me where I ever said I wasn’t happy with a Tatum hire...

I'm not talking about this one specific event. You "poo poo" other schools constantly as if Tatum ISD is some kind of holier than thou bastion of excellence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

I'm not talking about this one specific event. You "poo poo" other schools constantly as if Tatum ISD is some kind of holier than thou bastion of excellence. 

I haven’t said anything bad about Atlanta. 
 

Try not to lose your balance with all this reaching you’re doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DoubleTeam said:

Hey eagle, looks like y’all are getting turf on your baseball and softball fields. Is that correct?

Yea

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

How many baseball kids for y’all play basketball too?

Like one or two. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Retreads are always an easier decision for school boards that dont know much about Coaching football. Safer pick then gambling in the young up and coming Coordinator with no head coaching experience. I'm sure Gilmer, Carthage and others were happy their school boards didn't go the safe route. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilmer went the cheapest route when they hired Traylor a young coach w not much experience.  I wouldn’t recommend hiring the cheapest as a schools process, but for Gilmer it was a home run.  Needless to say Traylor earned a raise pretty quick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He can still go out and get the young hot shot coordinator to put energy in to the program. Help a young coordinator to mature and then go take over a program instead of failing and getting fired.  Sometimes the hot shot coordinators think they are ready to run a program but all to often they are not.  Surround yourself with a couple of young hot shots and prepare them to take over a program.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RKS21 said:

Yes but he the only way he made it work in Gilmer was to have the right Folks on the board! 

Very true, Gilmer has had an outstanding school board for a long time and it is paying dividends in all aspects of the district.  A good school board makes all the difference in the world.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is to say who is an “up and comer”? How can you project future success? Hallsville got rid of Plunk because he was a .500 coach because the Board Members thought that Hallsville had better athletes than what were walking the halls. Hallsville then hired a State Championship coach who failed miserably once he sat foot in Hallsville. He is now gone and Hallsville just went winless with his replacement.

At least Plunk made “use” with the football athletes he had at his disposal while at Hallsville. Perhaps Atlanta will have better athletes for football per capita than what Hallsville had and Plunk may see success. Who knows?

Also, if memory serves me correctly Plunk was listed as Assistant Head Coach at Ryan.

Not saying that Plunk will be a success but hiring someone that is labeled as an “up in comer” has its risks too just as projecting why someone who did not have total success at their previous stops as the head honcho.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Who is to say who is an “up and comer”? How can you project future success? Hallsville got rid of Plunk because he was a .500 coach because the Board Members thought that Hallsville had better athletes than what were walking the halls. Hallsville then hired a State Championship coach who failed miserably once he sat foot in Hallsville. He is now gone and Hallsville just went winless with his replacement.

At least Plunk made “use” with the football athletes he had at his disposal while at Hallsville. Perhaps Atlanta will have better athletes for football per capita than what Hallsville had and Plunk may see success. Who knows?

Also, if memory serves me correctly Plunk was listed as Assistant Head Coach at Ryan.

Not saying that Plunk will be a success but hiring someone that is labeled as an “up in comer” has its risks too just as projecting why someone who did not have total success at their previous stops as the head honcho.

Well he is just listed as the safeties coach on their website but it does say that he spent a year here in cooper so now I must say that this was a great hire lol. Honestly I have to agree though in comparison to what Hallsville is doing since he left he will probably have a good deal of success at Atlanta.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Goes hand and hand . Some talented teams haven’t won state. 

Manvel comes to mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 9:52 AM, Coacher25 said:

Let's not forget that Atlanta had other candidates in mind-They all said no. Instead of b*tching and moaning, give the guy a chance. He's done some good things as a HC.

That's false. This wasn't a desperation hire because everyone said no. This was, what the board felt, was the best ALL-AROUND hire. Atlanta just isn't a school willing to sell their souls to win football games. You've got to think - everything goes in to hiring the face of your program. Past, public records, all of it.

With that being said, I've heard of a couple of coordinators they may be going for, and I'm pretty optimistic. They seem to be a great family, with a passion for the game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A Google search turned up these old tweets from someone calling themself Dr. David Plunk from his days at Hallsville. Take a moment and Google Dr. David Plunk Twitter for a little more insight into Atlanta's new coach. You'll be shocked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cooperboy22 said:

A Google search turned up these old tweets from someone calling themself Dr. David Plunk from his days at Hallsville. Take a moment and Google Dr. David Plunk Twitter for a little more insight into Atlanta's new coach. You'll be shocked.

Looks like a parody account. Like Fake John Walsh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Looks like a parody account. Like Fake John Walsh. 

I agree. There is more content on here since yesterday. Someone is screwing with this man for whatever reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cooperboy22 said:

I agree. There is more content on here since yesterday. Someone is screwing with this man for whatever reason.

Oh wow. He's been gone from Hallsville for awhile. You'd think whatever is going on they could get over by now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has this guy ever been to a small school? I know big school coaches are always more knowledgeable and better hires, just curious about his background besides Hallsville and Ryan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...