13 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

someone find Hayden Henry and tell him to comeback and cover our district.   He was great.

I spoke with him at a fall Lobo practice earlier this month....always been a cool dude.

Man, you can tell that it killed him leaving LNJ. It wasnt just a job or paycheck for him, he loved the community. But sometimes, you have to make a tough career decision. 

Not only Longview, but East Texas lost easily the best sports writer in the state. Easily.

14 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

i'm not sure how much time our hometown paper put into this.  Anti needs to go apply there now because he did a much better job.  Several players listed for Tyler are not on the team. Heck some of them don't attend Tyler high at all.  crazy. 

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/the-zone-district-7-5a-division-i/article_6308f032-06ff-11ec-b341-b3c7745a4cf7.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Btw, I agree. This is laziness.

Longview doesn't even run a 4-2-5 defense and they also listed a player or two who havent been on the team since pre spring.

Quick thoughts from me:

1. T-High beating Tyler did not shock me as I picked the Tigers to win. I don't however understand what the Tyler High staff is doing at the QB position though. That'll be interesting to watch moving forward.

2. Waco is no juggernaut but that was a nice win for West Mesquite. Waco High beat WM last season and for WM to beat them in the convincing fashion that they did, maybe they are better than I originally gave them credit for? We'll see if they can stay consistent.

3. It really is shaping up to be wide open 3-7.

4. But even the top 2 teams (HP/LV) have a ton to work on, especially Longview. Both OLs got destroyed opening week.

5. Very nice wins for the Longview subvarsity teams over Ryan. I dont see either teams losing this year.

6. The Wylie East win over MP wasnt pretty, but it was a win after they got pummeled by MP 49-6 the year before. I think East is trending in right direction.

7. Talked with @LoboFan07 Saturday who has already seen both Wylie East and Sherman in person this year. He believes Sherman is better than East despite a terrible showing for Sherman opening week against Denison. We will certainly have a better idea of that this week when Sherman travels to Mt. Pleasant.

8. McKinney North QB Constantine accounted for 4 TDs and 200+ yards in their 44-26 over Westmoore, OK. One of the more complete performance in the district this week. Its wide open but North looks a little more ahead of Tyler/Sherman/Wylie East/West Mesquite right now.

That North win is so hard to compare to anything. I know nothing about Oklahoma football, but I know I've never heard of that school (unlike Jenks and Union). I think we'll know more this week and then next week when they travel to Marshall.

Solid win still, no doubt.

That West win was probably the most shocking one of the district this week. Definitely didn't see them winning by three scores (or at all really lol).

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

I spoke with him at a fall Lobo practice earlier this month....always been a cool dude.

Man, you can tell that it killed him leaving LNJ. It wasnt just a job or paycheck for him, he loved the community. But sometimes, you have to make a tough career decision. 

Not only Longview, but East Texas lost easily the best sports writer in the state. Easily.

man, that dude covered middle school, fresh, and JV, plus his coverage at varsity level was very in depth. 

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

Btw, I agree. This is laziness.

Longview doesn't even run a 4-2-5 defense and they also listed a player or two who havent been on the team since pre spring.

I don't mean to be critical of the Tyler paper but I can tell you plenty of times where you can tell they are not doing the basics. One time on here I called them out for it and a writer got upset and responded.   But the truth is that they fall short many times. 

For starters, it seems like schools outside of Tyler get more coverage. Also, one year they listed their all district basketball team, and they had a player from Longview on it that had transferred back to Louisiana before basketball season.  Now this.  

On 8/26/2021 at 11:26 PM, ANTI said:

Subvarsity scores this week:

JV

Longview beat Denton Ryan,  37-13

West Mesquite beat Waco High,  36-0

Highland Park beat Southlake Carroll,  37-35

Texas High beat Tyler,  38-6

McKinney North beat McKinney Boyd,  24-7

Denison beat Sherman,  21-18

Mt. Pleasant beat Wylie East,  33-26

9th

Longview beat Denton Ryan,  35-26

Wylie East beat Mt. Pleasant,  42-8

Waco beat West Mesquite,  14-0

McKinney Boyd beat McKinney North,  34-13

Texas High beat Tyler, 34-28

Note: No score, SLC beat Highland Park on the 9th level. Denison also beat Sherman on the 9th level.

Standings :

JV

1.  Longview (1-0)(0-0)

2.  Highland Park (1-0)(0-0)

3. McKinney North (1-0)(0-0)

4. West Mesquite (1-0)(0-0)

5.  Sherman (0-1)(0-0)

6.  Tyler (0-1)(0-0)

7.  Wylie East (0-1)(0-0)

9th

1.  Longview (1-0)(0-0)

2.  Wylie East (1-0)(0-0)

3.  Highland Park (0-1)(0-0)

4.  McKinney North (0-1)(0-0)

5.  Sherman (0-1)(0-0)

6. Tyler (0-1)(0-0)

7. West Mesquite (0-1)(0-0)

Alrighty, we have subvarsity action tonight:

JV

Tyler Legacy vs Tyler High,  7 PM (Rose)

Highland Park at Flower Mound Marcus,  6:20 PM

Longview at Marshall,  5:30 PM

Mesquite Poteet at West Mesquite,  7:15 PM

Wylie East at Irving Nimitz,  5:30 PM

Mt. Pleasant at Sherman,  5:30 PM

McKinney North at Justin Northwest,  6 PM

9th

Tyler Legacy vs Tyler High, 5:30 PM (Rose)

Flower Mound at Highland Park,  5:30 PM

Marshall at Longview,  5:30 PM

Mesquite Poteet at West Mesquite,  5:30 PM

Irving Nimitz at Wylie East,  5:30 PM

Sherman at Mt. Pleasant, 5:30 PM

Justin Northwest at McKinney North,  7 PM

JV

Longview beat Marshall,  28-0

Highland Park beat Flower Mound Marcus,  24-16

Wylie East beat Irving Nimitz,  31-0

Mesquite Poteet beat West Mesquite,  7-0

Justin Northwest beat McKinney North,  26-18

Tyler Legacy beat Tyler High,  38-8

9th

Longview beat Marshall,  42-0

Highland Park beat Flower Mound,  42-14

Tyler High beat Tyler Legacy,  18-0

Wylie East beat Irving Nimitz,  19-4

Mesquite Poteet beat West Mesquite,  14-0

Note: No scores, but Mt. Pleasant swept both Sherman subvarsity teams. Justin Northwest also beat McKinney North on the 9th grade level. 

Standings :

JV

1. Highland Park (2-0)(0-0)

2. Longview (2-0)(0-0)

3. McKinney North (1-1)(0-0)

4. West Mesquite (1-1)(0-0)

5.  Wylie East (1-1)(0-0)

6. Sherman (0-2)(0-0)

7. Tyler (0-2)(0-0)

9th

1. Highland Park (2-0)(0-0)

2. Longview (2-0)(0-0)

3. Wylie East (2-0)(0-0)

4.  Tyler (1-1)(0-0)

5. McKinney North (0-2)(0-0)

6. Sherman (0-2)(0-0)

7. West Mesquite (0-2)(0-0)

• Like 1

Finals this week:

Highland Park 28, Flower Mound 24

Longview 14, Marshall 0

McKinney North 16, Justin Northwest 28

Sherman 36, Mount Pleasant 35

Tyler 55, Tyler Legacy 62

West Mesquite 19, Mesquite Poteet 22

Wylie East 29, Irving Nimitz 28

Standings:

1. Wylie East (2-0)(0-0)

2. Highland Park (1-1)(0-0)

3. Longview (1-1)(0-0)

4. McKinney North (1-1)(0-0)

5. Sherman (1-1)(0-0)

6. West Mesquite (1-1)(0-0)

7. Tyler (0-2)(0-0)

After two weeks this district is no where near as strong as usual, no team in district is really better than the other one, we all have been exposed by really good teams or have played really bad teams. 1-7 IMO is wide open for any team. This district will go down to the last week. 

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Honestly looking at this chart shows how unequal the zoning is.  

for starters...Legacy (not accounting for transfers) is projected to have 2800 resident students by the yr 2030, while Tyler high is expected to have 2500.  Also, consider that Legacy #s could easily be doubled that because many of the kids are at Cumberland, other charters, and private schools.  Those students could  easily end up at Legacy in the future.  But its the way it is. Honestly Tyler high needs to stay in 5a.

by the way, where are they getting these numbers from?

• Like 1

Thoughts from Week 2:

1. West Mesquite and McKinney North both came out hot Week 1, only to come out extremely flat Week 2. Consistency may be a problem for these two teams this year.

2. There was a conversation about which team was better between Sherman and Wylie East. I thought Week 2 would bring more clarification on that, but it didn't. Sherman beat the same Mt. Pleasant team that Wylie East had beaten in Week 1, but it took a Hail Mary to do it. Meanwhile, Wylie East barely escaped Irving Nimitz. The smallest gap in this district may be between Sherman and Wylie East.

3. Uh, what the hell is going on in Highland Park and Longview? Blowout losses in Week 1 were followed up with mediocre wins in Week 2. Now, Longview is starting to gain traction defensively. HP is gaining traction as well but on the offensive side of the ball, but the two programs have an offense (Longview) and defense (Highland Park) that need to wake up sooner rather than later. Although the two teams will no doubt get better as the season progresses, fact remains that Longview and HP have not looked themselves these first two weeks. 

4. Maybe it was the nature of the rivalry, and even though the game was 62-34 with 6 minutes to play....Tyler High put up a much bigger fight in that Legacy game than I anticipated. Despite 4 INTs, Tyler High QB Holt has to be district offensive player of the week. He had 7 touchdowns and 642 yards passing, which I believe is a school record for Tyler High. I don't think there should be anymore questions about who QB1 should be at Tyler High. 

13 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Thoughts from Week 2:

1. West Mesquite and McKinney North both came out hot Week 1, only to come out extremely flat Week 2. Consistency may be a problem for these two teams this year.

2. There was a conversation about which team was better between Sherman and Wylie East. I thought Week 2 would bring more clarification on that, but it didn't. Sherman beat the same Mt. Pleasant team that Wylie East had beaten in Week 1, but it took a Hail Mary to do it. Meanwhile, Wylie East barely escaped Irving Nimitz. The smallest gap in this district may be between Sherman and Wylie East.

3. Uh, what the hell is going on in Highland Park and Longview? Blowout losses in Week 1 were followed up with mediocre wins in Week 2. Now, Longview is starting to gain traction defensively. HP is gaining traction as well but on the offensive side of the ball, but the two programs have an offense (Longview) and defense (Highland Park) that need to wake up sooner rather than later. Although the two teams will no doubt get better as the season progresses, fact remains that Longview and HP have not looked themselves these first two weeks. 

4. Maybe it was the nature of the rivalry, and even though the game was 62-34 with 6 minutes to play....Tyler High put up a much bigger fight in that Legacy game than I anticipated. Despite 4 INTs, Tyler High QB Holt has to be district offensive player of the week. He had 7 touchdowns and 642 yards passing, which I believe is a school record for Tyler High. I don't think there should be anymore questions about who QB1 should be at Tyler High. 

I think Tyler is starting to find a identity on offense, which is something they missed for awhile, once holt calms down, he will cause problems. Mcfall will be FORCE for Tyler the next two years, he finally had his breakout and it’s only up from here.

• Like 1

This week:

Longview @ Legacy,  7 PM 

Chisholm Trail @ West Mesquite,  7 PM (Memorial)

Sherman @ Saginaw,  7 PM

Highland Park @ Coppell,  7:30 PM

McKinney North @ Marshall,  7:30 PM

Tyler @ Nacogdoches,  7:30 PM

Wylie East @ Royse City,  7:30 PM

All games are on Friday

JV

Longview beat Tyler Legacy,  48-20

Nacogdoches beat Tyler High,  16-8

Wylie East beat Royse City,  33-6  

West Mesquite beat Chisholm Trail,  38-7

Highland Park beat Coppell,

Note: The Sherman-Saginaw JV game was cancelled and McKinney North did not play this week.

9th

Longview beat Tyler Legacy,  30-7

Tyler High beat Nacogdoches,  16-0

Wylie East tied with Royse City,  21-21

West Mesquite beat Chisholm Trail,  26-14

Sherman beat Saginaw,  48-18

Note: McKinney North did not play this week. 

Standings :

JV

1. Highland Park (3-0)(0-0)

2. Longview (3-0)(0-0)

3. West Mesquite (2-1)(0-0)

4. Wylie East (2-1)(0-0)

5. McKinney North (1-1)(0-0)

6. Sherman (0-2)(0-0)

7. Tyler (0-3)(0-0)

9th

1. Highland Park (3-0)(0-0)

2. Longview (3-0)(0-0)

3. Wylie East (2-0-1)(0-0)

4.  Tyler (2-1)(0-0)

5. Sherman (1-2)(0-0)

6.  West Mesquite (1-2)(0-0)

7.  McKinney North (0-2)(0-0)

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

JV

Longview beat Tyler Legacy,  48-20

Nacogdoches beat Tyler High,  16-8

Royse City beat Wylie East,  

West Mesquite beat Chisholm Trail,  38-7

Note: The Sherman-Saginaw JV game was cancelled and McKinney North did not play this week.

9th

Longview beat Tyler Legacy,  30-7

Tyler High beat Nacogdoches,  16-0

Wylie East tied with Royse City,  21-21

West Mesquite beat Chisholm Trail,  26-14

Sherman beat Saginaw,  48-18

Note: McKinney North did not play this week. 

Standings :

JV

1. Highland Park (3-0)(0-0)

2. Longview (3-0)(0-0)

3. West Mesquite (2-1)(0-0)

4. McKinney North (1-1)(0-0)

5.  Wylie East (1-2)(0-0)

6. Sherman (0-2)(0-0)

7. Tyler (0-3)(0-0)

9th

1. Highland Park (3-0)(0-0)

2. Longview (3-0)(0-0)