2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Wylie East took a 19-14 lead in the 4th.  MP thew an interception inside the Raider 20  with less than 30 seconds left on the clock.

WE with the 19-14 win.  Excellent game just as I expected. 

MP definitely had their chances to win this game.  

Both offenses looked pretty rough most of the game.  But the defenses played well.

Marshall lost to New Caney 23-7
Nacogdoches lost to Kilgore 
Hallsville lost to Henderson 48-47
Whitehouse lost to Forney 21-20
Jacksonville lost to Crandall 51-36
MP lost to Wylie East 19-14

PT beat Liberty Eylau 25-0
Texas High beat Tyler 24-10

————

Week one was a rough one for 9-5A.  The district went a combined 2-6 on the night. 

A disappointing night to be sure.  But more worrisome is the fact that most of the opponents were teams that weren’t very good last season… and some were downright awful. 

Only three of the eight opponents were playoff teams last year. And only two of them had winning records.  Only one of them was more than 1 game over .500

Forney was 1-9 last year. 

Wylie East was 1-7

Crandall was 3-6.  

Henderson was 3-6

Tyler was 2-7 

None of them were in the playoffs last yea
————-

Kilgore was 10-4

Liberty Eylau was 6-5

New Caney was 5-6

Made the playoffs.  But only Kilgore was solid. 

————-

Several of these games were winnable.

WH jumped out to a 20-0 lead just 10 seconds into the second quarter.  Was looking like the blowout we all expected.  Until the rabbits had 21 unanswered.

Marshall was only down 9-7 with just under 5 mins to go in the game.  Very winnable. Had two drives that could have given them the lead late.  But turnovers killed them and gave the Eagles two cheap touchdowns. 

Hallsville had multiple chances to get a win over a Henderson. The Lions did all they could to give it away.  The Bobcats refused to  accept the gift. 

Jacksonville fell into a hole quickly and was never able to catch up.  Looks like another firecracker offense for the tribe and a defense that will betray them at every turn. 

Mount Pleasant also let one slip away.  It was a close one all night.  They had their chances in the fourth to escape with the win, but couldn’t make it happen. 

Nac hung tight with Kilgore, but ultimately this offense couldn’t get it going.  The Bulldogs are tough at home.  And defense is usually their forte. 

Even PTs win over LE seems meh. It was only 6-0 at halftime.  They turned it up in the second half…. But a much larger PT is suppose to do that to a 4A DII team.  PT flexed some muscle though.  Esp on defense.

Even Texarkana fans are lamenting the wasted chances Vs Tyler.  Missed a couple of scoring opportunities.  But the game was never really in question either.  Tigers will be fine  

Ugly night.  And next week may not be much better. 

• Like 1

9-5A Div II:  Week 2 Match-ups
Marshall Vs. Longview
Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin
Royse City Vs. Whitehouse
Palestine Vs. Jacksonville
Sherman Vs. Mount Pleasant
Lindale Vs. Pine Tree
Kilgore Vs. Hallsville
Arkansas High Vs. Texas High- CANCEL.  No word on a replacement game

I watched the Forney broadcast.  Whitehouse has kicking issues, missing an ep and a fg from inside 10 yard line w 2 minutes in game that would have put them up 9.

Also passing game did not look good.  A lot of Whitehouse yardage on the ground from what I was seeing.  But the QB was on the run a lot when attempting to pass.

Their defense was decent.

Early for everybody.  Need another game to see if the trends continue.

Marshall Vs. Longview-  The Maverick offense is lost.  The defense is good enough to compete with most anyone...but when your offense consistently gives you the middle finger.... makes it hard to win.  Marshall was only down 9-7 late in the fourth Vs. New Caney before imploding (23-7).  Four interceptions on the night.  Longview is coming off a historical loss 40-7.  They're mad.  It will be ugly.  Lobos will win by as many as they wish.  Coach King may have to trip some of the pick sixes just to keep them under 80.  Mavs need an offensive identity.  We haven't had one since 2018.  

Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin- Pretty much copy/paste the above statements from Marshall/Longview for this game.  LP is mad.  Tyler Legacy smacked them around pretty good and they have some frustrations to work out.  Nac probably won't get smacked like Marshall will....but it'll still be painful.  I don't think LP has the horses to pound the Dragons like the Lobos can the Mavericks....but Nac still likely won't offer much resistance.  LP will right the ship and Nac will continue to wonder what their offensive identity is.

Royse City Vs. Whitehouse-  I'm still trying to absorb that WH lost to a 1-9 Forney team Friday night.  And blowing that big 20-0 lead is just mind boggling.  Against a bad team.  The Wildcats have a much better opponent this week with RC coming to town.  Royse City beat Frisco Centennial 44-30 Friday night to show their offense is still intact from last season.  And Centennial is a much better team than Forney IMHO.   I think the Bulldogs chase the Cats out of their own stadium.  Might be ugly.

Palestine Vs. Jacksonville-  This is a tough one to call.  The Wildcats are coming off a 45-16 loss to Van.  Jax is coming off a 51-36 loss to a mediocre Crandall team. It's a rivalry game... and it's at the Tomato Bowl.  Jacksonville seems to pump out great offenses year in and year out.... packed with strong smart QB's and talented WR's. However... their defense has been atrocious, negating all that offense.  Palestine's offense may not be able to keep up this year.  Taking the Tribe in this one.

Sherman Vs. Mount Pleasant- Another game that's tough to call.  MP should have won the 19-14 loss at Wylie East.... at least they had their shots.  Sherman lost to Denison 37-13.  I wouldn't be shocked to see either of them win.  I'm going to take MP only because they are playing at home.  I may change my mind before Friday.

Lindale Vs. Pine Tree- Another tough one to call IMHO.  Lindale is a defending state finalist coming off of a 39-36 loss to Kaufman.  An unexpected loss for the Eagles to be sure.  PT is coming off a 25-0 win over Liberty Eyalu.  It was a 6-0 game at halftime.  Just not sold on this PT offense without DJ.... but the Pirate defense looks like it MEANS BUSINESS.  Tough game to call!!!  Hmmm.  I think Lindale's offense is a beast..... taking the Eagles in a high scoring affair. 

Kilgore Vs. Hallsville-  Kilgore held off Nac 21-7 Friday night.  Defense always seems to be the Bulldog's trademark.  Meanwhile...... Hallsville has had defensive issues for a while now.  We witnessed that with thier 47-46 loss to Henderson.  Kilgore won't allow 40 points to many teams.... especially Hallsville.  I think the Bobcat total was more about Henderson's atrocious defense than Hallsville's offensive prowess.  That said.....I don't think the Bobcats can prevent 40 points.  I'm taking Kilgore.

Arkansas High Vs. Texas High-  CANCELLED.  Stay tuned to see if THS gets a replacement game.

55 minutes ago, Polar_Bear said:

I watched the Forney broadcast.  Whitehouse has kicking issues, missing an ep and a fg from inside 10 yard line w 2 minutes in game that would have put them up 9.

Also passing game did not look good.  A lot of Whitehouse yardage on the ground from what I was seeing.  But the QB was on the run a lot when attempting to pass.

Their defense was decent.

Early for everybody.  Need another game to see if the trends continue.

WH had a problem passing last year, teams that stopped their running game or got a lead beat WH. Their QB struggled to complete passes to his own team last year. He did ok completing passes to the other team:)

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

A long vaguely worded statement from Ark High side cancelled this game supposedly for Covid even though both teams played the next night.   I've certainly got a different opinion why even before Ark High took a beating from Paris last night.

But officials wouldn't mislead would they ??

5 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

A long vaguely worded statement from Ark High side cancelled this game supposedly for Covid even though both teams played the next night.   I've certainly got a different opinion why even before Ark High took a beating from Paris last night.

But officials wouldn't mislead would they ??

They are tired of getting smacked by the Tigers. When was the last time Arkansas High beat THigh?

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

9-5A Div II:  Week 2 Match-ups
Marshall Vs. Longview
Nacogdoches Vs. Lufkin
Royse City Vs. Whitehouse
Palestine Vs. Jacksonville
Sherman Vs. Mount Pleasant
Lindale Vs. Pine Tree
Kilgore Vs. Hallsville

Longview for obvious reasons. This game should not be happening anymore. Theres no help to either program from this game.

Lufkin for the same reason as above.

Royce City, they are hungry gor more after they trounced Centennial. 

Palestine, as Mav said its a hard game to call.

Mount Pleasant, homer pick. But there is a lot of talent on this years team. Just need to put it together. They might surprise some teams. 😉

Lindale, they are upset from the surprise loss to Kaufman.

Kilgore, Hallsville gave up 47 to Henderson. Kilgore is better than Hendo. Good luck Bobcats your gonna need it.

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Jacksonville lost to Crandall 51-36

Jacksonville fell into a hole quickly and was never able to catch up.  Looks like another firecracker offense for the tribe and a defense that will betray them at every turn. 

I just watched the game on Youtube, Special teams killed the Indians. 2 blocked punts, 2 2-Pt conversions on the swinging gate, multiple long kick returns. I wanna say at least 21 of Crandall's points came off of special teams. Crandall didn't necessarily score on the plays but short fields all night. 

22 minutes ago, budmanmpfan said:

They are tired of getting smacked by the Tigers. When was the last time Arkansas High beat THigh?

I don't disagree......even if you want to stop a tradition that goes back forever.  But do it before the schedule comes out and just come out and say we want a change. But that #### the night before they are playing a game and cancelling the next week's game just sticks in my craw

10 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

They are tired of getting smacked by the Tigers. When was the last time Arkansas High beat 

10 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

They are tired of getting smacked by the Tigers. When was the last time Arkansas High beat 

I just want to give everyone in this district a little warning. The Hallsville Bobcats are MUCH better than all of you think. Are they going to compete this year for the District title? No. Are they going to be in the race for a play-off spot? Probably not but I've seen stranger things happen! The point is that Coach Strickland has something very special going on in Hallsville that hasn't happened in almost 10 years. Everyone (players, parents and the fan base) is very excited about Hallsville football. Offensively they do have the ability to move the ball and score points on anyone on their schedule. Will they score 40 every game? Probably not but they are playing a fast tempo, high octane style that is only going to get better each week!! Defensively, there is talent on that side of the ball but they have two things going against them; depth and an offense that will put them back on the field more and quicker than they want. For the first quarter and a half they held Henderson to 7 points and only 13 at the half but the lack of depth proved to be too much to overcome in the second half. Hallsville's biggest problem at this point is special teams (and probably cost them the win on Friday). I don't believe this is a lack of talent but due to the fact that a new head coach came on board in July and has not had time to nail down every aspect of the game, thus special teams has not yet been a high priority and will only get better as the season progresses. My warning is that teams in this district will not see the same Hallsville team you have seen the past few years. You come in cocky and overconfident you will find yourself in the upset category of all of the Friday night posts!!!

I don't think anyone in this district is good enough to be looking over anyone.

Even 10-0 Texas High had a scare Vs. Nac last season.  I'm sure they haven't forgotten that.

It would be foolish for anyone to overlook the Bobcats.

Marshall News Messenger
Coach's Corner Vs. New Caney Game
----------------------

MNM: What do you chalk this one up to?

JG: It’s the first game of the year. We had a lot of guys getting first-time-varsity experience. That takes time to build so we’re watching film and we’ll make corrections. I think our defense played well enough for us to win the ballgame. We only gave up nine points pretty much all game but offensively, we just couldn’t give them much help but out of all the guys who played on offense, we had one guy who started on varsity last year. We’ve got some growing pains but that’s what preseason is for. We’re going to continue to coach them up and make those corrections.

MNM: What are some of the biggest positives you can take from it?

JG: I think our defense played with great effort. Again, I think our defense played well enough to win it if we could have given them a little more support on the offensive side of the ball. There were still plenty of mistakes that were to be expected in week one of football. A lot of these kids who are starting for us this year, this was their first varsity start or first varsity experience. We expected some of this. There’s no panic button being hit. We’re going to coach our kids up until we get to a point we’re they’re comfortable to execute at a high level and that’s what we’re going to do. I think there were a couple great effort plays that we’ll make sure to point out and show the kids those types of plays, that this is what the expectation is and this is what we want it to look like and we’ve just got to coach the rest of it up. Our kids will respond. That’s what we’ve got to do moving forward.

MNM: The two halves were a lot different. Any specific changes made at halftime?

JG: Not necessarily. I think we had 11 offensive plays in the first half. New Caney did a great job of ball control. They didn’t let us have the ball very often and when we did, we didn’t capitalize on some of their mistakes. It hurt us going three-and-out. Our defense was on the field for a long time last night and with how long they were on the field, they held their own. They did a good job. We’ve just got to give them some support. In the second half, I think those lights were really bright for some of our kids and again, that’s to be expected. It’s not anything they did wrong. It’s just the nature of them being in their first varsity start. We’ve got to keep coaching them and getting them more and more comfortable with the Friday night expectation and the Friday night atmosphere. I think once that happens, we’ll continue to get better throughout the season.

MNM: What are some of the most important things to improve on this week to prepare for the Lobos?

JG: To be quite honest, I’m not too concerned with the Lobos right now. My biggest concern is fixing what we’ve got to do. Longview is going to be Longview. They’re going to do what they do. They’ve been doing it for years and John King does a great job with those guys and they’re going to be ready to play, especially when they play against Marshall. We know that. Our kids know that but I know this, if we don’t fix the mistakes that we made this week before we start worrying about that, then that won’t matter. Obviously we’re going to prepare for Longview but we’ve got to clean our stuff up. We’ve got to find ways as a staff to get kids more comfortable in certain positions and once we have that plan, we’re going to get our kids ready. We’ve got to be tough and we’ve got to be physical because if you’re not tough and physical against the Lobos, it doesn’t matter what you do.

MNM: What’s the biggest thing you’ll be working on to improve for your team? Is there one thing above the rest?

JG: We’ve got to be more physical on offensive side of the ball. On the defensive side of the ball, I think the physicality level is good. It’s not quite where it needs to be, as expected this early in the season but I think we’ve got to read our keys a little bit better and not be a step or two out of place so we can make the plays when they’re supposed to happen instead of two or three yards past where they’re supposed to happen.

MNM: Did everyone come out healthy and everything?
JG: I think so. We’ve got clinics right now. I don’t think there’s anything drastic.

MNM: You had a long road trip. How pleased were you with the support of the fans?

JG: Yeah Marshall fans are going to travel. I think it was awesome. I know our kids really appreciated all the fans that made the trip down there. That’s a long haul. To see the amount of support we had down there, especially with our band, drill team, the parents and the fans that made it down there, I think that was really positive. I think our kids were surprised in terms of travel, I don’t think they thought there would be that many Marshall fans just with how far of a trip it was but they’re very appreciative of that, for so many fans to come down so that was positive.

JG: Ultimately, I think we have the pieces. It’s just going to take time to get them comfortable. I don’t think we’re disappointed as a staff with where we’re at. I think some of it was to be expected but we’ve just got to get our kids more and more comfortable. I think our kids played hard but we’ve got a lot to clean up and that’s natural with having so many first-timers at the varsity level.

While disappointed in Friday..... I think it's insane to be panicking like I've seen some do on social media.  It's just ONE game!!!

While I don't think NC is a juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination.... they are not a lousy team.  They were a playoff team in a competitive 5A Div I district. 

A much bigger school.  It was a 4 hour road trip.  We have a sophomore QB.

It was still a winnable game with just over 4 mins left in the game with a score of 9-7.

Give the team to come together.  Get better.  

Even if we go 0-3..... if it pays off come November....who cares?  Winning preseason games will never trump winning DISTRICT games.  

Like coach G said..... I think we have all the peices to have a good season.  Just a matter of putting it all together.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

While disappointed in Friday..... I think it's insane to be panicking like I've seen some do on social media.  It's just ONE game!!!

While I don't think NC is a juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination.... they are not a lousy team.  They were a playoff team in a competitive 5A Div I district. 

A much bigger school.  It was a 4 hour road trip.  We have a sophomore QB.

It was still a winnable game with just over 4 mins left in the game with a score of 9-7.

Give the team to come together.  Get better.  

Even if we go 0-3..... if it pays off come November....who cares?  Winning preseason games will never trump winning DISTRICT games.  

Like coach G said..... I think we have all the peices to have a good season.  Just a matter of putting it all together.

This goes for everyone in Non-District play. These are tune up games, getting personal right, fine tuning play calling. When district starts everyone is 0-0.

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

This goes for everyone in Non-District play. These are tune up games, getting personal right, fine tuning play calling. When district starts everyone is 0-0.

I totally agree.

Just seeing talk of "blow it up and start all over" on different threads is mind-blowing.  

Some in Maverick Nation are doing the same.  Why????

Let's see how it plays out.  Come November/December.... these games may be a long distant memory.

We've seen this before.

We've never shied away from a difficult non-district schedule.  Longview, Shadow Creek, Cypress Woods, Bossire Parkway, Corsicana.....we've always had tough September schedules.... and we traditionally have slow starts to our season.  Yet last season was our first time to miss the playoffs in a long time.

Now....if we continue to struggle as the season plays out and when it's over..... THEN have a discussion.

But not in August after one game.

UGH.....