2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

47 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Some really good games this week.  Some tough calls..... several of these could go either way IMHO.

Make your picks:

Pine Tree Vs. Nacogdoches
Whitehouse Vs. Mt. Pleasant
Jacksonville Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Hallsville

Pine Tree
Mount Pleasant
Marshall
Texas High

Pine Tree Vs. Nacogdoches- This has the makings of a really good game IMHO.  Both of them have had some offensive struggles at times this season..but both have proven they can score plenty at other times.  This game appears to come down to who has the better defense.  If that’s the case.... I'm going to take Pine Tree.  I don't think the defense is as good as the unit was last season, but they can make some stops when they have to.    I think Nac's defense is going to struggle Vs. PT's offense.  It's not as dynamic as it was last season with DJ Freeman, but they definitely have some weapons.  It all starts with running back Ethan Morgan.  He already has 495 yards this season and he's averaging an eye-popping 7.4 yards per carry.  He's hard to bring down... and once he gets those legs going he's a load to stop.  The Nac defense MUST contain him or they are in for a long night.  HOWEVER.... PT's passing game is nothing to sneeze at either.   It may not be where it was with Freeman, but Dakylan Johnson has already thrown for 635 yards.  I'm not sure Nac's offense is going to be able to fend off the Pirate D.  The Dragon passing game has had some struggles and if that's the case again Friday.... I think they will be punting often.  Should be a close, exciting game.  But I'm taking PT on the road.

Whitehouse Vs. Mt. Pleasant-  I have gone back and fourth on this game more than any game this season.  The problem with this game is that neither team seems to have found their offensive identities  through the first 4 (3 for MP) games of the season.  Both are incredibly mistake-prone and both seem to be giving up a lot of points defensively.   Returning Whitehouse QB Conflitti has been lighting it up this season with 843 yards already this season.  However....he has thrown 7 interceptions along with his 7 touchdowns this year.  On average....WH is putting the ball in the air a mind-blowing 33 times a game.  The Wildcats have not really established a run game this season with only 324 yards on the ground in 4 games, an average of 81 yards per game.  Turnovers and other teams playing "keep away" from the Wildcat offense has spelled doom for Whitehouse as their defense struggles to get stops when they need them.  Meanwhile MP could very well be sitting at 2-1 instead of 0-3.  They lost the season opener to Wylie East on a late interception 19-14 and then lost on last second Hail-Mary to Sherman 36-35.  The Tigers have plenty of offense...but some serious issues with turnovers (didn't they have 7 Vs. Sherman?).  MP RB Tyson Minter is a load.  He had over 240 yards rushing against Sherman.  He had 79  Vs. Wylie East.  Not sure about the THS game.  All of that said.... I'm taking WH....but wouldn't be shocked to see MP win AT ALL (actually pulling for them).  But I think WH's passing game will be too much for them.

Jacksonville Vs. Marshall-   A Marshall fan on another forum referred to this game as a "trap game" for the Mavericks and this is absolutely TRUE.  On paper... the Mavericks are pretty heavy favorites by most.  HOWEVER.... there are some serious distractions going on with this game.  First of all is the whole homecoming distraction and then there is the danger of looking passed Jacksonville and thinking about a possible district title clash in Texarkana Vs. the Tigers nexr Friday.  The Mavs simply cannot overlook the Tribe this week thinking about homecoming OR Texas High.  They MUST focus on a dangerous team THIS WEEK.  Marshall appears to have found their offensive groove since switching to senior QB Olvera.  He already has 468 yards passing in just 2.5 games.  His legs have also rushed for almost 200 yards as well.  Toss in RB JQ Davis, who has 392 yards... and the offense has been humming like we haven't seen in a while.  But make NO mistake about it.... this  Marshall team has been highlighted by their defense thus far.  They held a pretty good PT offense that was averaging 32 PPG to just 10 last week.  They held a state ranked Longview team to 14 and a (4-1) New Caney team to 9 points for 45 mins of the first game.   Jacksonville is averaging 29.6 PPG.  The issue?  They are giving up 35.7 PPG.  I think Marshall's efficient (but not flashy) offense... and stingy defense will lead the Mavs to victory this week. 

Texas High Vs. Hallsville-  Hallsville has a weird history of playing Texas High tough.... at least for a half or so before falling off into oblivion against the generally stacked Tigers.  This is the game that likely has BLOWOUT written all over it more than any other.  Hallsville is scoring lots of points this season....but they are giving up a mind-boggling amount.  Meanwhile Texas High just seems to be taking care of business.  The Bobcats are surrendering 45.3 PPG thus far this season (181 points total).  Scoring about 25 PPG.  Texas High meanwhile has surrendered only 36 points all season for an average of about 12 PPG.  Their offense hasn't been overly flashy, but they are very good at what they do... which is spreading the defense and getting the ball into as many different hands as they can.  They are averaging 34 PPG.  Hallsville's lack of defense.... coupled with the Tigers excellent defense will speall doom for the Bobcats and Texarkana will win this game running away.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

Pine tree, Mp, Marshall and Texas high.

no doubt one week at a time, but given no upsets...nac vs mp looks to be biggest game in this district.  

Agree.
MP/Nac will be HUGE.
As will Marshall/Nac in the season finale....depending how thing go in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

NAC

MP

Marshall 

TXH

I would like to see a Nac and MP win mainly because it would give Nac a 2 game lead and head to head against 2 teams (WH and PT) which is essentially a 3 game lead. Setting up a game the following week where Nac could set them selves up for a playoff spot against MP. I know that a lot of what ifs, just my wish list. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Agree.
MP/Nac will be HUGE.
As will Marshall/Nac in the season finale....depending how thing go in the next couple of weeks.

I see Marshall vs Texas high being a good one next week as well....as long as both teams take care of business Friday 

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Some really good games this week.  Some tough calls..... several of these could go either way IMHO.

Make your picks:

Pine Tree Vs. Nacogdoches
Whitehouse Vs. Mt. Pleasant
Jacksonville Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Hallsville

Pirates over Dragons
Tigers over Wildcats
Mavericks over Indians
Tigers over Bobcats.

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I keep thinking I need to change my pick to MP.  I just got a gut feeling......

Not going to be shocked either way.

MP/WH and Nac/PT are both pretty intriguing games to me.  I'd pay to see either.

I can tell you that MP should've beaten both Wylie East and Sherman.

MP should beat WH, from everything available this season so far.

3 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I can tell you that MP should've beaten both Wylie East and Sherman.

MP should beat WH, from everything available this season so far.

I didn't see the Sherman game.  I watched the WE game online.  They definitely should have won that game.

My main two issues with MP are turnovers and penalties.  I think they have had AT LEAST four turnovers in every game I believe.  I could be wrong...but didn't they have 7 Vs. Sherman?  Not to mention the huge penalties that have taken points away from them.  It's really hard to beat anyone when you are making huge mistakes like that.  Even Whitehouse.

Should be a good one either way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I didn't see the Sherman game.  I watched the WE game online.  They definitely should have won that game.

My main two issues with MP are turnovers and penalties.  I think they have had AT LEAST four turnovers in every game I believe.  I could be wrong...but didn't they have 7 Vs. Sherman?  Not to mention the huge penalties that have taken points away from them.  It's really hard to beat anyone when you are making huge mistakes like that.  Even Whitehouse.

Should be a good one either way.

MP is better than some prob give credit. Baylor commit didn’t seem to play much last Friday but had a sack while he was in, would think he can only make them an all around better team. 

Of course a lot depends on what all happens this week....but next week, after the Marshall/Texas High game..... that MP/Nac game is going to be HUGE.  Especially if both Nac and MP win this week.  Which will have PT behind the 8-ball.

I'm just not sure if Nac is going to overcome a pretty dang good PT defense... and stud running back Ethan Morgan.  He may be the best back in the district.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Of course a lot depends on what all happens this week....but next week, after the Marshall/Texas High game..... that MP/Nac game is going to be HUGE.  Especially if both Nac and MP win this week.  Which will have PT behind the 8-ball.

I'm just not sure if Nac is going to overcome a pretty dang good PT defense... and stud running back Ethan Morgan.  He may be the best back in the district.

saw him play le. he is a tough runner. Of course game one but pt at the time struggled with speed on the outside in that gm

Morgan's good but I wouldn't put him over THighs Stewart and Marshalls Davis. He struggled vs Marshall a tad. I think Jax has 2 really good Rbs too(Isiah Mallard, JT Johnson). Then you have the Mt P rb. PTs other Rb did very well too(Taylor) I think 7 rbs in this district are very good and on pretty equal grounds. Haven't seen Nacs Rb play yet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

For some reason Texas High ALWAYS struggles at Hallsville.

Next week will be a big game. Marshall scored every way possible it sounded like and playing good defense. Texas high has yet to put together a full game. Oline is young return 4 next year but false starts are killing them. Only bright spot was backup qb playing in first half due to qb being kick out last week he looked pretty good.

Standings
Texas High (4-0) (2-0) 3-0
Marshall (3-2) (2-0) 2-1
Pine Tree (3-2) (1-1) 2-1
Nacogdoches (1-4) (1-1)2-1
Jacksonville (1-4) (1-1) 1-2
Mount Pleasant (1-4) (1-1) 1-2
Whitehouse (0-5) (0-2) 
Hallsville (0-5) (0-2)

Week 6 Games
Pine Tree beat Nacogdoches 18-13
Mount Pleasant beat Whitehouse 23-7
Marshall beat Jacksonville 57-21
Texas High beat Hallsville 37-24

After losing a nail-biter last week to Marshall 17-10, Pine Tree made up for it with a nail-biting victory on the road over Nacogdoches this week.  They overcame a halftime deficit of 13-12 to take a 18-13 lead.  The Pirates kept Nac out of the endzone on a crucial goal-line stand to preserve the victory.  

Mount Pleasant got a huge win over WH Friday night to register their first win of the season, keeping WH winless.  The Tiger defense was stingy all night as the Whitehouse offense never really got anything going.  The Wildcats are in an early deep hole in the district race.  WH has not missed the playoffs since 2015.  The TIgers looking to make the playoffs for the first time since 2016.

Jacksonville jumped out to a 7-0 lead over Marshall with their prolific offense that includes stud McCuin.  But then the Mavs exploded for 31 consecutive points.  The Mavs set a program record with 57 first half points.  Interceptions turned into points was the undoing for Jacksonville as the Mavs cashed in with two pick sixes, and a couple of other scores that came after interceptions.  The win sets up a huge showdown in Texarkana next week between the (2-0) Tigers and Mavs.

Hallsville made Texas High sweat for a good portion of the night, but the Tigers were able to hold on for the win.  The Tigers had a paper-thin 30-24 lead with Hallsville threatening inside the Texarkana 10 yard line in the 4th quarter.  After a spectacular red-zone stand, Texas High put it away with a late score.  They host Marshall next in a battle for first place.

Week 7 Games
Marshall Vs. Texas High-  It's a battle for first place.  The winner will be (3-0) in sole possession of the district lead, while the loser will fall into potential three-way tie for second place at (2-1) with the winner of the MP/Nac game and the winner of the PT/Jax game.

Mount Pleasant Vs. Nacogdoches- Another HUGE game.  The winner will be in a (2-1) tie for second place with the loser of the Texas High/Marshall game... and the PT/Jax winner.  The loser will find themselves in dire straits at (1-2) and in a tie with the loser of the PT/Jax game and the winner of the Hallsville/WH game and several teams ahead of them in the standings.

Pine Tree Vs. Jacksonville- The winner of this game keeps their playoff hopes very much alive as they will find themselves in a (2-1) tie for second place with the loser of the Marshall/THS game and the winner of the Nac/MP game.  The loser gets behind the eight-ball at (1-2) in in a tie with the loser of the MP/Nac game and the winner of the Hallsville/WH game.

Hallsville Vs. Whitehouse- A loss won't mathematically eliminate  the loser of this game....but it would take a near-miracle for them to overcome an (0-3) start.  The winner will keep their playoff hopes alive at (1-2) and in a tie with the loser of the MP/Nac game and the loser of the PT/Jax game.

Clear as mud?

Taking a peek at 10-5A

Montgomery beat Fulshear 52-32
Rudder beat Lake Creek 27-13
A&M Consolidated beat Huntsville 35-0
Lamar Consolidated- OFF

Rudder 2-0, 5-0
AMC 2-0, 5-1
Montgomery 1-0, 5-0
Fulshear 1-1, 4-2
Lamar Consolidated 0-1, 1-4
Lake Creek 0-2, 4-2