2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Texas High-  Taking the Mavs solely based on their defense.  They continue to improve as a unit every week.  They are without a doubt the strength of this team.  The Tiger offense will be their stiffest test of the season thus far.  Meanwhile.... the Marshall offense is still coming into their own...and this will be the best defense they have faced since Longview.  Texas High came out flat against MP before turning it on; then they had to hold on at the end to beat Hallsville.  Hopefully they will bless Marshall with a flat half (or game) as well..... being gracious hosts, of course.  

Mount Pleasant Vs. Nacogdoches-  Can this game get any more even???  I don't think anyone would be shocked to see either of them win.  It looks like MP's offense may have a little more fire-power than Nacogdoches does.  However... Nac appears to have the slight edge on defense.  Both are mistake prone with turnovers and penalties.  The 120 mile drive for MP is something to consider.  Nac went toe-to-toe with one of the best teams in the district last Friday, while the Tigers may have beaten one of the worst teams.  All that said.... I'll take Nac at home in a barnburner.

Pine Tree Vs. Jacksonville-  Pine Tree's defense is GOOD.  Their offense is still struggling to find their post-DJ Freeman identity...but it's efficient enough to get the job done.  The Pirate defense had an outstanding goal-line stand Vs. Nac to preserve the win, while their offense did just enough to win.  Jacksonville has tons of offensive weapons;  McCuin is a one-man wrecking machine at WR and RB.  QB McCown is a work in progress.  But the Indians surrender 41 PPG.  PT gets a big road win.  HOWEVER.... strange things happen at the Tomato Bowl sometimes.

Hallsville Vs. Whitehouse-  Someone will get their first win of the season.  Hallsville has lost 18 consecutive games (21 consecutive if you count COVID forfeits) dating back to September 27, 2019.  They are giving up points in bushels this season at 43.6 PPG.   Good news for the Bobcats.... Whitehouse is only averaging 12.4 PPG on offense.  The Bobcats are coming off a promising game against state ranked Texas High.  WH fell flat Vs. MP.  Tough one to call.... but WH's offensive woes, coupled with Hallsville's ability to score.... I'll take the Bobcats to halt the long losing streak.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall Vs. Texas High-  Taking the Mavs solely based on their defense.  They continue to improve as a unit every week.  They are without a doubt the strength of this team.  The Tiger offense will be their stiffest test of the season thus far.  Meanwhile.... the Marshall offense is still coming into their own...and this will be the best defense they have faced since Longview.  Texas High came out flat against MP before turning it on; then they had to hold on at the end to beat Hallsville.  Hopefully they will bless Marshall with a flat half (or game) as well..... being gracious hosts, of course.  

Can't wait.  Should be a great game.    Bring IT !

hoping Texas high comes out upset after Hallsville. a diff Marshall team, much improved all the way around from Last year  (Had a good defense last year, but always on the field)  . Hallsville only team to score in the 2nd half maybe they come out wanting to make a statement. 

Snapshot day is coming up in a few weeks.

I was talking to someone with MISD and MHS is currently sitting at about 1,450 enrollment right now, but daily attendance has been lower because of COVID precautions (1390 range).  

COVID is going skew some numbers for some school on the bubbles of the 6A/5A line, the 5A Div I/Div II line,  and the 5A/4A line. 

Some for the better....some for the worse depending on perspective.

Could be very interesting.

Went back and watched the PT/Marshall game on you tube.

In my personal opinion Nac/PT/Marshall are not far off from each other. Good running games, good defense, struggles in the passing game. 

I have not seen MP play so they could be included in this conversation as well so we will see Friday Night. 

I think this is going to be a barn burner of a district race. 

Good week for MJHS football.  They went 3-1 this week Vs. Hallsville. 

Lone loss was an 8-6 game by the 7th White team.  7th Red team won 26-0.

8th grade White won 24-12.  8th Red won 8-7.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Good week for MJHS football.  They went 3-1 this week Vs. Hallsville. 

Lone loss was an 8-6 game by the 7th White team.  7th Red team won 26-0.

8th grade White won 24-12.  8th Red won 8-7.

I guess Texas high did not play Marshall in middle school games 

4 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

I guess Texas high did not play Marshall in middle school games 

They did.... Texas Middle school was 4-0 against MJHS. 
These were the scores reported to me:

7th Red lost 14-8
7th White lost 20-16
8th Red lost 30-16
8th White lost 30-22

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 10:29 PM, budmanmpfan said:

I don't understand either. When I was there we never considered you a rival. Paris and SS was our biggest rival. Maybe Dfield and Pitt in the mid-90s.

Not sure when everything started but 1970's 80's and early 90's was Daingerfield, Pittsburg, and Paris. SS considered us a rivalry but we did not until late 1980's. Pitt/MP last game was 1993 I think. Daingerfield rivalry seemed to start dying off after Coach Alexander left for Henderson in 1989. Thats how I remember it any way lol. 

Standings
Texas High (5-0) (3-0)
Marshall (3-3) (2-1)
Pine Tree (4-2) (2-1)
Mount Pleasant (2-3) (2-1)
Nacogdoches (1-5) (1-2)
Jacksonville (1-5) (1-2)
Hallsville (1-5) (1-2)
Whitehouse (0-6) (0-3) 

Week 7 Games
Texas High beat Marshall 27-12
Mount Pleasant beat Nacogdoches 28-14
Pine Tree beat Jacksonville 35-7
Hallsville beat Whitehouse 37-21

Texas High seized control of the district with their dominating 27-12 defensive effort over Marshall.  The win puts the Tigers (3-0) all alone in first place in the district and in the driver's seat for hosting a playoff game.  The loss dropped the Mavericks into a second place tie with Mount Pleasant and Pine Tree, all at (2-1).  MP's huge road win over Nac keeps the Tigers in the thick of the race, while putting Nac into a precarious position with Texas High and Marshall remaining on their schedule.   PT got a big win over Jacksonville to stay in second place with Marshall and MP.  Hallsville snapped their 21 game losing streak that dated back to 2019 with a big win over Whitehouse.  The Wildcats remain winless on the season.

Week 8 Games
Texas High Vs. Pine Tree
Whitehouse Vs. Marshall
Mount Pleasant Vs. Hallsville
Nacogdoches Vs. Jacksonville

This could prove to be separation week between the haves and the have nots concerning the playoffs.

Texas High Vs. Pine Tree- A Tiger win keeps THS all alone in first place and could potentially drop the Pirates into a fourth place tie with the winner of the Nac/Jacksonville game....possibly a 4-way tie for third should Hallsville get the win over MP and the Nac/JVille winner.  However.... a PT win over Texarkana could form a four-way tie for first place between Texas High, Marshall, PT, and MP.  HUGE game.

Marshall will host WH in another crucial battle.  A Marshall win would keep them in control of their own destiny as far as potentially hosting a playoff game.  A Mav win coupled with a MP win over Hallsville would set up a second place showdown in week 9 at Sam Parker Field.  A Marshall loss would drop the Mavs into a third place tie with the Nac/Jax winner and likely with PT as well.  A win by WH will keep the Wildcat's dim playoff hopes alive, a loss would all but eliminate them from the post-season race.  

MP has another huge road game.  A win will keep them in second place and sets up a likely showdown Vs. Marshall for possibly hosting a playoff game.  A win coupled with a PT upset over THS could put four teams at the top of the district standings.  A loss would drop the Tigers into a third place tie the winner of the Nac/Jax game and likely with PT as well.

Nac and Jax are on the brink of being out of the race with another loss.  Nac still has Texas High and Marshall on the schedule, while Jax still has Texas High.  The winner will pull themselves into a likely tie for fourth place tie, while the loser will find themselves on the outside looking in for the playoffs with only 3 games remaining.

Glancing at 10-5A.....

Standings
AMC (6-1), (3-0)
Montgomery (6-0), (2-0)
Rudder (5-1), (2-1)
Fulshear (4-2), (1-1)
Lamar Consolidated (2-4) (1-1)
Lake Creek (4-3) (0-3)
Huntsville (2-4) (0-3)

A&M Consolidate beat Lake Creek 36-22
Lamar Consolidated beat Huntsville 33-30
Montgomery beat Rudder 38-13
Fulshear=Bye

AMC continues to impress with their big win over Lake Creek to remain unbeaten in district play and (6-1) on the season.  Lake Creek is winless in district play.  Montgomery got a HUGE win over Rudder... it was Rudder's first loss of the season, while Montgomery remains perfect at (6-0).  Lamar Consolidated got the upset of the week with their shocking win over Huntsville.  The Hornets remain winless in district play, while LC is in the thick of the race for the playoffs.

It's way too early to be making playoff predictions for 9-5A... but why not.....

Standings
AMC (6-1), (3-0)
Montgomery (6-0), (2-0)
Rudder (5-1), (2-1)
Fulshear (4-2), (1-1)
Lamar Consolidated (2-4) (1-1)
Lake Creek (4-3) (0-3)
Huntsville (2-4) (0-3)

Lake Creek and Huntsville are in trouble at (0-3).  Both of them still have Montgomery left on their schedule too.  Not sure (2-4) will be good enough to get either of them into the playoffs unless they upset Montgomery.

Barring upsets.... there are five teams competing for the top 4 spots:  AMC, Montgomery, Rudder, Fulshear, and Lamar Consolidated.

History shows that Lamar Consolidated is likely the one left out in the cold.

That leaves:
AMC
Montgomery
Rudder
Fulshear

Now....what order they finish in gets real tricky at this point.  Who do they have left?

AMC: Montgomery, Fulsher, Rudder
Montgomery: AMC, Consolidated, Huntsville, Lake Creek
Rudder: Fulshear, AMC, Lamar Consol
Fulshear:  Rudder, AMC, Lamar, Huntsville

Too many close games to call, really.  But... here's what I got.....

AMC (9-1), (6-0) 
Montgomery (9-1), (5-1) 
Rudder (3-3) (7-3) /Fulshear (3-3) (6-4) 
Rudder (3-3) (7-3)/Fulshear (3-3) (6-4)

Rudder and Fulshear play this coming Friday... so that tie-breaker could be solved.

Possible first round games
Rudder/Fulshear loser (unless Huntsville or Lamar upsets someone..then it get messy) @ Texas High
Rudder/Fulshear winner (unless MP upsets PT or Marshall...then it gets messy) @ Marshall 
Pine Tree @ Montgomery 
Mount Pleasant @ AMC 

Texas high vs pine tree imo is one of biggest games this week. Pine tree has a solid defense and offense that has found ways to score with a good rb they keep getting better each week....hoping texas high gives same amount of attention to them as they did for Marshall . Texas had 2 defensive starters out and by stats prob the best wr #13 out vs Marshall .. Defense still played well...marshall seemed be in 3rd and long situations most of the night. Marshall wrs and rb are pretty good 88 will be a diff maker for them next year.  had success converting early but defense step up in 2nd half.. offense has to be better. 3rd and 1 from the 4 and false start caused one  drive to settle for 3 another drive inside 10 with a holding call killed another, but also 99 and 8 on Marshall dline had a lot to do with the prob thigh had both are vry good. over 70 yards of penalties for Texas high so gotta clean up . Pine tree at home will be ready for Texas high hope they come out with same energy and get a win. Le and pg both have not so good of games hoping to be in Longview for it. 

Not important whatsoever, but Mount Pleasant's overall record should be listed as 2-3 or 3-3 and not 2-4.  Losses to Wyle East, Sherman, and Texas High and wins over Whitehouse and Nacogdoches.  The Arkansas High game went down as a 2-0 victory for Mount Pleasant, so that would be the 3rd win or just left off.  Like I said, no big deal, but your information has always been enjoyable to follow and appreciated. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Cletus said:

Not important whatsoever, but Mount Pleasant's overall record should be listed as 2-3 or 3-3 and not 2-4.  Losses to Wyle East, Sherman, and Texas High and wins over Whitehouse and Nacogdoches.  The Arkansas High game went down as a 2-0 victory for Mount Pleasant, so that would be the 3rd win or just left off.  Like I said, no big deal, but your information has always been enjoyable to follow and appreciated. Thanks!

He is getting ahead of himself, he thinks MP will lose Friday. 

Ps. just kidding Mavchamp.  Love what you do every week. Thank you for doing it.

21 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Didn’t that rudder team never made the playoffs or something like that?  

yes it is...they r playing good this year...rudder most years has the athletes lack discipline...New coach in 19 maybe he’s getting it turned around 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

He is getting ahead of himself, he thinks MP will lose Friday. 

Ps. just kidding Mavchamp.  Love what you do every week. Thank you for doing it.

lmao.  FIXED.

And I'm picking MP to win this week.  

Looking forward to PT/TH hope both teams stay away from injuries. had a chance to see pine tree stadium few years ago for a playoff game but sat on hm side...little diff view 2night. thigh seemed to have players in and out of lineup since week 1  hope they all can play tonight