2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Now that the regular season is done.... a few awards maybe?

Biggest Surprise
Biggest Disappointment
Most Improved
Least Improved
Most Overrated
Most Underrated
Coach of the Year
Most likely to get a new coach for 2022
Offensive Player of the Year
Defensive Player of the Year

Biggest Surprise:  Homer pick.  Marshall (7-3, 6-1).  DCTF had us picked 4th.  The Local news guys (The Zone) had us picked 5th.  Not sure our own newspaper guy picked us all season until after we clinched a playoff spot.

Biggest Disappointment:  This could be a tie; either Pine Tree (4-6) or Whitehouse (2-8) are great candidates.  However....I'll take PT because they actually started the season pretty strong before they fell apart.  WH never got things going....only winning against Jax and "upsetting" PT.  But I don't think anyone expected to see PT fall apart at the end of the season like they did.

Most Improved:  Mount Pleasant (4-5).  I don't think anyone expected the Tiger to make the playoffs this season.  Most people had them picked for 6th or 7th place.  Fact is....they lost several games in the final seconds:  Wylie East, Sherman, Marshall.  They had their chances in the Hallsville game. In spite of losing in a blow out to Texas High, they gave the Tigers a good fight much of the night too.

Least Improved:  Jacksonville (1-9) was pretty brutal this season.  They were much more competitive last season.  Not so much this season.

Most Overrated:  Whitehouse fan opinions...... if there were any around this season *cough cough cough*

Most Underrated:  Close call between Marshall and MP.  I'll go with MP since they truly had no one picking them to make the playoffs.....much less as the #3 seed.

Coach of the Year:  Sanford at Texas High.  9-0 is 9-0.  Would have been 10-0 had AHS not been Chicken Soup.

Most likely to get a new coach for 2022:  I know everyone is thinking Jacksonville.  And that's probably going to happen too....but I'm thinking something more "unexpected".  PT's coach gets offered a AD/HC position at a suburban ISD.... and he'll take it. 

Offensive Player of the Year:- JQ Davis (Marshall).  He has 1500 yards rushing and he did it basically in 8 games.  And he's only a junior.

Defensive Player of the Year:  The guy from Texas High.... name escapes me.  I'll look it up tomorrow.  lmao.  Sorry.

• Like 1

Biggest Surprise-Hallsville scored points and upset a few teams that no one gave them a chance against
Biggest Disappointment-Nac-After Making the playoffs last year, and still has not figured out how to win the close game. DCTF picked them 5th so I guess they over achieved predictions but 3-7 is disappointing. 
Most Improved-Marshall-The last game of the season last year against Nac I did not believe they would rebound and finish 2nd this year. 
Least Improved-Jacksonville-Hate seeing this team in the cellar of the district. 
Most Overrated-Whitehouse-I didn't think WH was as good as their record the last 2 years and a complete coaching staff changed and they were still picked in the top 3 in most district predictions to start the year. 
Most Underrated-Mt Pleasant-I think the were picked 6th in the district to start the year.
Coach of the Year-Hallsville Coach
Most likely to get a new coach for 2022-I agree with other posters-PT I could see him getting an offer from a bigger school with more talent. 
Offensive Player of the Year-Bo Jackson from Hallsville:) Just kidding...I thought Wilder the RB from MP was pretty impressive. 
Defensive Player of the Year-Texas High D-Lineman committed to Texas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EazyMoney said:

I would say that the most likely result of the bi-district round will be 2-2, with the home teams winning.  I do think that District 10 is stronger top to bottom.  The Dist 10 3,4 seeds have a better chance of an upset than the Dist 9 3,4 seeds.   

I could see that. It’ll take a lot but I’m thinking mp plays a good gm vs a&m 

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Biggest Surprise-Hallsville scored points and upset a few teams that no one gave them a chance against
Biggest Disappointment-Nac-After Making the playoffs last year, and still has not figured out how to win the close game. DCTF picked them 5th so I guess they over achieved predictions but 3-7 is disappointing. 
Most Improved-Marshall-The last game of the season last year against Nac I did not believe they would rebound and finish 2nd this year. 
Least Improved-Jacksonville-Hate seeing this team in the cellar of the district. 
Most Overrated-Whitehouse-I didn't think WH was as good as their record the last 2 years and a complete coaching staff changed and they were still picked in the top 3 in most district predictions to start the year. 
Most Underrated-Mt Pleasant-I think the were picked 6th in the district to start the year.
Coach of the Year-Hallsville Coach
Most likely to get a new coach for 2022-I agree with other posters-PT I could see him getting an offer from a bigger school with more talent. 
Offensive Player of the Year-Bo Jackson from Hallsville:) Just kidding...I thought Wilder the RB from MP was pretty impressive. 
Defensive Player of the Year-Texas High D-Lineman committed to Texas.

How does Wayne Coleman keep surviving in Jax ?

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, Mavchamp said:

Now that the regular season is done.... a few awards maybe?

Biggest Surprise
Biggest Disappointment
Most Improved
Least Improved
Most Overrated
Most Underrated
Coach of the Year
Most likely to get a new coach for 2022
Offensive Player of the Year
Defensive Player of the Year

I know JAX was 1-9. But I’d be hard pressed to find an offensive player more valuable to his team than our WR Devin McCuin. Granted, these kinds of awards usually go to players in winning teams…. and that’s justified…. Devin had 64 catches for 926 yards in just 9 games (missed a game due to illness). 9 catches per game average… had 14 catches in a game twice. Several D1 offers and he’s a junior. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

I know JAX was 1-9. But I’d be hard pressed to find an offensive player more valuable to his team than our WR Devin McCuin. Granted, these kinds of awards usually go to players in winning teams…. and that’s justified…. Devin had 64 catches for 926 yards in just 9 games (missed a game due to illness). 9 catches per game average… had 14 catches in a game twice. Several D1 offers and he’s a junior. 

Devin is a beast on lower tier team in the district.  Just think of the yards he would have if poor Ryan had time to set his feet instead of running for his life ever play. If there is a award for a kid that played his off and never gave up and took a absolute beating. Ryan wins that for sure 

• Like 2

Biggest Surprise- Hallsville coming out of nowhere. Had a friend who saw them scrimmage Palestine and he said they were the real deal. Their RB may have been best in district. You could tell how much they missed him when he was gone. 
Biggest Disappointment- Whitehouse. Replacing all 5 OL and a few new coaches is no recipe for success. Seeing them at beginning and end of season though, have to think if QB change is made sooner they could have been competing for a playoff spot. Otherwise, disappointing year. 
Most Improved- Hallsville. 
Least Improved- Jacksonville. 
Most Overrated- PT. Lost a lot of offense, but still has some pieces. Once book got out on them, they couldn’t overcome. 
Most Underrated-Mt Pleasant. For all the depth issues and close games. Certainly seem capable of beating anyone. 
Coach of the Year- Hallsville’s coach. 
Most likely to get a new coach for 2022- Jacksonville. 
Offensive Player of the Year- RB’s seemed to rule this district. T High’s and Hallsville’s would be my 2. 
Defensive Player of the Year- Any of T High’s front 7 lol

9-5A goes (2-2) Vs 10-5A. 

Texarkana Texas High (10-0) vs Texas City (10-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lufkin’s Martin Stadium

Marshall (8-3} vs Crosby (9-2) 2:00 p.m. Saturday at Lufkin’s Martin Stadium

Just watched some Crosby Highlights. Texas City looked pretty average in their game. THigh should have a good chance in that one.

Crosby had Carthage beat until a Marshall transfer scored game winning td. Just imagine if he had stayed in Marshall and been molded into a dual threat qb. The future looks bright at the Qb position now though. Maybe we can get Slone in some sort of speed training during the off-season.