2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

14 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

I have not seen their # yet, I know we went down 20 or so students from 2018 to 2020, so I don't expect anything higher than 1750ish. 

hopefully having some success will bring out more players for Nac. Crazy to think a school with 1700 kids only had abou 25 kids on each  sub varsity team

25 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

hopefully have a little success will bring out more players for Nac. Crazy to think a school with 1700 kids only had abou 25 kids on each  sub varsity team

yeah this year and last years football group was small, but the upcoming 7th and 8th grade teams are huge so numbers will start climbing. Nac. is also combing into one middle school starting next year so these kids will get two more years of playing with each other instead of against each other. 

I know everyone is kind of wrapped up into playoff talk right now.... but here are the snapshot numbers we have so far from 9-5A (current and potential) 

The 5A Div II bracket for 2020 was 1150-1839

North Forney 2292
Royse City 2233
Forney 2008
Texas High 1777
Crandall 1575
Greenville 1515
Marshall 1481
Pine Tree 1371
Jacksonville 1278
Sulphur Springs 1240
Kaufman 1236
Lindale 1200

Unless the 2022 numbers move up significantly, which historically they don't, Jax and SS are likely to remain in 5A Div II.

Kaufman will be moving up to 5A Div II from 4A Div I.

Forney will be moving up to 5A Div I as will Royse CIty, North Forney.  That's three schools moving up from 8-5A, leaving Ennis, Crandall, Corsicana, Greenville, and Sulphur Springs.  That's not enough schools..... my guess is Kaufman will get one of those slots.  Do they move some from the East District?

Potential East Texas 5A Div I district mates:
Ennis
Mount Pleasant
Crandall
Nacogdoches
Corsicana
Pine Tree
Greenville
Hallsville
Sulphur Springs
Kaufman
Whitehouse
Jacksonville
Texas High
Marshall

Possibilities are endless.  But there are some core teams that are unlikely to be separated

Marshall, Hallsville, Pine Tree (have always been together since 2002)
Texas High, Mount Pleasant
Whitehouse, Jacksonville
Nac...well... they are kind of all alone.

Frisco ISD is a wrinkle too.  

Does MP and THS go down I-30 again to join Greenville?  Hard to imagine with Ennis and Crandall in that district too....although... those could be moved into a South Dallas district or an I-35 district.

Does Nac go South to join the Huntsville/AMC district.  

Whitehouse and Jacksonville could be sent to the Ennis/Corsi district

Going to be interesting.  We could see no changes.  Could see massive questions.

EAST/WEST ALIGNMENT
District 8

Ennis
Crandall
Whitehouse
Jacksonville
Kaufman
Corsicana
Sulphur Springs
Greenville

District 9
Pine Tree
Hallsville
Nacogdoches
Texas High
Marshall
Mount Pleasant

OR.....

NORTH/SOUTH ALIGNMENT
District 8

Ennis
Crandall
Whitehouse
Jacksonville
Kaufman
Corsicana
Nacogdoches

District 9
Pine Tree
Hallsville
Texas High
Marshall
Mount Pleasant
Sulphur Springs
Greenville

No matter how the alignment occurs with Texas High & Nacogdoches, the schools west of a Cumby to Athens line will be protesting alignment to the UIL when matched with us. I prefer an 8 school district for the far East district.

Texas High

Mount Pleasant

Sulphur Springs

Marshall

Hallsville

Pine Tree

Nacogdoches / Whitehouse

Jacksonville

The schools to the West can find games in the Metroplex or Waco areas.

Mavchamp, please help me figure out the permutations in District 10 that will decide who my T-High Tigers get in the first round.   I read on a Huntsville board that if Huntsville beats Fulshear (which I expect to happen) there will be a 3 way tie for the last playoff spot. Is that right?  I thought that the winner of Huntsville v. Fulshear was almost certainly in at the #4 slot.    (Maybe I have to assume Lake Creek (1-4) and Lamar Consolidated (1-4) both lose, which is a pretty safe assumption).  

38 minutes ago, mav01 said:

Huntsville would be a tough draw for a 4 seed. They always seem to get healthy and turn it on in time to sneak in the playoffs. We had that unlucky draw after winning district in 2019.

No doubt going to be a tough game for t high if is Huntsville but I like the fact they at least have to travel all the way to Texarkana 

1 hour ago, mav01 said:

Huntsville would be a tough draw for a 4 seed. They always seem to get healthy and turn it on in time to sneak in the playoffs. We had that unlucky draw after winning district in 2019.

Huntsville's coach is Rodney Southern.   Wasn't he the Marshall coach in the not too distant past? 

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Huntsville's coach is Rodney Southern.   Wasn't he the Marshall coach in the not too distant past? 

Yes. Took us to state in 04 and 05. He knocked us out the playoffs in 2018 in round 3. And 2019 at our home turf. The 2018 game was epic.  Had 2 bad calls go against us late in game.  Decided to go for 2 and the win instead of kicking for OT. 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:14 PM, Mavchamp said:

Does Nac go South to join the Huntsville/AMC district. 

A&M turned in 2,089. They'll be 5A D1.

As @Matt said, I'd be absolutely shocked if Jacksonville and Sulphur Springs stayed 5A.

As you said, Forney/North Forney/Royse City are all moving up. North Forney looks destined to be 6A. Royse City is going to be on the line if you believe some of the rumors of the 6A bottom line. I think they'll be 5A D1 for this go around though. I didn't expect Forney to jump up so quick but they'll definitely be with us.

It'll be interesting more so, IMO, on the non football side of things.

Jacksonville and Sulphur Springs dropping leaves a hole in both District 15 & 16...but District 16 was already sitting at just 6 schools prior to Jacksonville dropping, so they're now left with just...
Huntsville, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Tyler & Whitehouse.

District 15 is sitting there with Hallsville, Longview, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Pine Tree and Texas High for 6 members now.

They're not going to leave that Southern district with just 5. Not with as many school as there are in 5A. Just a matter of, who and how they change things up.

I don't think they'll split up Longview/Hallsville/Pine Tree/Marshall but I also don't know who else they could possibly send south. Also have no idea who's south around those schools that could be brought up to their district. Will be interesting to see for sure, especially with as many changes that are coming this alignment it feels.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

A&M turned in 2,089. They'll be 5A D1.

As @Matt said, I'd be absolutely shocked if Jacksonville and Sulphur Springs stayed 5A.

As you said, Forney/North Forney/Royse City are all moving up. North Forney looks destined to be 6A. Royse City is going to be on the line if you believe some of the rumors of the 6A bottom line. I think they'll be 5A D1 for this go around though. I didn't expect Forney to jump up so quick but they'll definitely be with us.

It'll be interesting more so, IMO, on the non football side of things.

Jacksonville and Sulphur Springs dropping leaves a hole in both District 15 & 16...but District 16 was already sitting at just 6 schools prior to Jacksonville dropping, so they're now left with just...
Huntsville, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Tyler & Whitehouse.

District 15 is sitting there with Hallsville, Longview, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Pine Tree and Texas High for 6 members now.

They're not going to leave that Southern district with just 5. Not with as many school as there are in 5A. Just a matter of, who and how they change things up.

I don't think they'll split up Longview/Hallsville/Pine Tree/Marshall but I also don't know who else they could possibly send south. Also have no idea who's south around those schools that could be brought up to their district. Will be interesting to see for sure, especially with as many changes that are coming this alignment it feels.

For non-football sports....... is this possible?

Marshall
Hallsville
Longview
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
John Tyler
Lufkin
Nacogdoches

Texas High
Mount Pleasant
Forney
North Forney
Royse City
Greenville
West Mesquite
Mesquite Poteet

17 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall
Hallsville
Longview
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
John Tyler
Lufkin
Nacogdoches

Texas High
Mount Pleasant
Forney
North Forney
Royse City
Greenville
West Mesquite
Mesquite Poteet

Would hate that from a Texas High perspective.   Other than Mt. Pleasant, every road trip is at least a 250 mile round trip, with most a 300+ mile round trip. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall
Hallsville
Longview
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
John Tyler
Lufkin
Nacogdoches

Texas High
Mount Pleasant
Forney
North Forney
Royse City
Greenville
West Mesquite
Mesquite Poteet

North Mesquite dropped to 5A D1, so all MISD schools have to be together. But North Forney should be 6A, so just take them out and move in North and there ya go.

Can't imagine all of the MISD schools will want to go all the way to Texarkana though.

• Like 1

Marshall
Hallsville
Longview
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
John Tyler
Lufkin
Nacogdoches

Texas High
Mount Pleasant
Forney
North McKinney
Royse City
Greenville

A ten team East Texas District could be a (terrible) possibility:

Texas High
Mount Pleasant
Marshall
Hallsville
Longview
Pine Tree
Tyler
Whitehouse
Nacogdoches
Lufkin

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ace said:

Would hate that from a Texas High perspective.   Other than Mt. Pleasant, every road trip is at least a 250 mile round trip, with most a 300+ mile round trip. 

It would be terrible for Texas High and MP no doubt......  BUT.... them going to Whitehouse, Nac and Lufkin wouldn't be any better TBH.

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

I just can’t see UIL doing a 10 team district. But…. Anything is possible. Depends on sooooo many variables, it would be bad for East Texas 5A if that happened. 

It would be terrible!!! 
But it’s not unprecedented.  They have done it before in other places.  

Makes me nervous.

I prefer the option of the I-30 schools being grouped together and the rest of us being thrown together.  Not ideal for MP or THS, but it’s a better option than a 10 team district. Ugh.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall
Hallsville
Longview
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
John Tyler
Lufkin
Nacogdoches

Texas High
Mount Pleasant
Forney
North Forney
Royse City
Greenville
West Mesquite
Mesquite Poteet

Change Texas High & Mt Pleasant with Tyler & Whitehouse makes sense to me from travel standpoint.

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

Change Texas High & Mt Pleasant with Tyler & Whitehouse makes sense to me from travel standpoint.

Would trips to Lufkin and Nac be any shorter than to Mesquite and Forney?  Seems like it would be further. I’m not sure though.  Texarkana to Lufkin is a long haul. 

1 hour ago, EazyMoney said:

Fulshear leads Huntsville 8-3 at the half. I think the winner is the 4 seed and plays Texas High.  

Fulshear has a good qb and rb but the oline looks to be undersized. Both teams have had turnovers and quite a few penalties. every team matches up different but I think t high can win vs either team. Huntsville qb struggling passing and defense is def not what we’ve seen from them in the past.