2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Predictions? 
I'll get mine posted later today (I hope)

9-5A Div II:  Week 1 Match-ups
Marshall Vs. New Caney 
Tyler Vs. Texas High
Liberty Eylau Vs. Pine Tree
Nacogdoches Vs. Kilgore
Forney Vs. Whitehouse
Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East
Henderson Vs. Hallsville
Jacksonville Vs. Crandall

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall Vs. New Caney 
Tyler Vs. Texas High
Liberty Eylau Vs. Pine Tree
Nacogdoches Vs. Kilgore
Forney Vs. Whitehouse
Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East
Henderson Vs. Hallsville
Jacksonville Vs. Crandall

New caney

Texas 

PT

Kilgore

House 

Mp

Henderson

crandall

Marshall Vs. New Caney- I can admit this is somewhat of a homer pick.  This is going to be tough for the Mavs.  Opening the season with your longest road trip of the regular season is killer.  No one hardly picked Marshall to win this game last year....and we saw what happened.  I'm taking Marshall because NC is returning only three staters on offense.  That's TOUGH.  They will return their beast RB....who had a great night against us last season.  But he won't have the great OL he had last season.  NC will have a whole new WC corps too... so the pressure to spread the ball around, epecially in game one is a tall task.  Marshall's strength this season will be defense....esp early on.  If the Mav defense is stingy enough...... if the offense can just spark a little....this is winnable for Marshall.  NC also only has 5 returning on defense.  This could take some pressure off of a Mav offense that will be breaking in a new QB.  Improved OL play will be a MUST for the offense to get things moving.  Marshall steals a close one on the road to open the season (1-0).

Tyler Vs. Texas High - Hard to pick against the Tigers....especially at home.  They just don't lose there very often.  Texarkana enters the season with the best offense in the district.  They have the top QB without a doubt.  This won't be the same Tiger team that struggled offensively Vs. the Lions last September.  They found their identity once McHenry was nailed down as the starter.  He passed for nearly 3000 yards last season.... eye-popping considering he was splitting duties early on.  Toss in a 1200 yard RB in Braylon Stewart.  If the WR corps cooperates.... the Tiger offense could be deadly in 2021.  Defensively the Tigers have some holes to fill from last season, but not anything glaring or concerning.  Tyler should be MUCH improved on offense in 2021.....but will it be enough to keep pace with Texarkana?  That depends on the Lion's defense.... which could be much improved as well.  I'm taking the Tigers because they are playing at home;  they seem to be a few steps ahead of Tyler when it comes to their building process; and I think the Tigers have an advantage when it comes to in-game coaching decisions.

Liberty Eylau Vs. Pine Tree-  This is a tough one to call.  Seeing how PT's offense redefines itself without DJ at the helm is at the forefront of everyone's minds right now (PT fans and non-PT fans).  PT has rarely had trouble piecing together a pretty good offense for the last 10 years or so.  The Pirates always seem to find guys that be efficient enough on offense to keep the ball moving and scoring points.  The issue for PT has generally been a porous defense that would give up more.  Lot's of 45-42 type losses for PT the last decade.  Until last season.  Defense became a strength for the squad in 2021.  It's had to be disturbing that PT will have to replace basically their entire starting offense.  OL, WR corps, QB..... I think they have 2 starters returning.  The defense has 7 positions to replace.  One could easily give LE the nod.... they are a playoff team from last season with 7 returning starters on each side of the ball.   I'm giving PT the nod based on where I think PT is on a trajectory.  But if they struggle in this game..... it could be a sign of a long season with DJ..... and that stellar defense.

Nacogdoches Vs. Kilgore-  This is another one that's tough to call.  Both teams are going to be rebuilding their offenses in 2021.  Kilgore is coming off of a region semifinals appearance last season while Nac broke through to return to the playoffs before getting man-handled by Huntsville in the first round.  This game will likely come down to defense.... which means Kilgore should have the upper hand.  That late season run by Kilgore was fueled by the Bulldog defense.  Nac's defense relied on their offensive success last season more than stellar defensive play.  Not to mention.... Kilgore is not an easy place to waltz into and steal a win.  Nac's offensive question marks, defensive issues, and playing at R E St. John Stadium spells a long night for the Dragons IMHO.

Forney Vs. Whitehouse- Whitehouse.  Big.  Forney was 0-9 last season.  If the Wildcats can't win this game easily... even if they are having to practically rebuild their entire offense... it will be setting off some major panic alarms for Wildcat fans.  WH has never been known for its defense....but a fair defense should shore up any offensive struggles in this game.  Can't imagine this one even being competitive.  

Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East-  MP is returning more back on offense than any other team in 9-5A.  That spells good news for the Tigers because they could spend the offseason working on depth instead of replacing a ton of starters.  Considering depth has been the Tigers biggest issue for YEARS... this is an excellent step in the right direction.  They have a bevy returning on defense too....which again...allowed them to look at depth in the roster.  If the coaching staff pulled it off this spring.... the Tigers could be a thorn in many sides this season.  I'm not ready to call them contenders yet....but things could be looking up.  Often times MP would be in close games at the half to see them slip away because of depth/exhaustion issues.  If that has been shored up..... those close halftime scores could spell some close games at the end...and maybe an upset or two.   Wylie East seems to be WAYYYY down from where they were just 4-5 years ago.  Picked to finish dead last in their highly competitive 5A Div I district.  I'm taking MP for the win.

Henderson Vs. Hallsville-  Both will be breaking in new coaches.  But Henderson has been a consistent winner for several years.  Hallsville has been in decline for a while.... and everyone wonders if they have hit rock bottom yet....or can they sink lower?  Seems there has been little positive news come out of Bobcat land concerning football in a long time.  Replacing your coach in June is a tough start.  Numbers are down in football..... abysmally from what I've heard.  Considering the football transfers I'm hearing that are headed East and West from Hallsville has got to be disheartening too.  These appear to be two programs headed in opposite directions in almost every category.  That being said....I'll take Henderson in a big win.  I need some positivity out of Hallsville before I can pick them in a game.  Prove me wrong Bobcats.  

Jacksonville Vs. Crandall-  I honestly could see this game going either way.  Crandall has most of their offense returning from last season.  An offense that put up 38 points on the Indians last season...... the concerning part is that they also gave up 25 to the Indians who also return some of the key parts of their offense as well.  Jacksonville returns more of their defense than does Crandall.  This would be a concern if Jacksonville's defense had been more formable in 2021.  Crandall also had the displeasure of playing the likes of Ennis and North Forney last season who were both 10-game winners last season.  The Pirates were better than their record showed.  Jacksonville had flashes of brilliance last season....but some ugliness too (the Hallsville game).  Defense has got to improve...... until that happens... Crandall win at home.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East-  MP is returning more back on offense than any other team in 9-5A.  That spells good news for the Tigers because they could spend the offseason working on depth instead of replacing a ton of starters.  Considering depth has been the Tigers biggest issue for YEARS... this is an excellent step in the right direction.  They have a bevy returning on defense too....which again...allowed them to look at depth in the roster.  If the coaching staff pulled it off this spring.... the Tigers could be a thorn in many sides this season.  I'm not ready to call them contenders yet....but things could be looking up.  Often times MP would be in close games at the half to see them slip away because of depth/exhaustion issues.  If that has been shored up..... those close halftime scores could spell some close games at the end...and maybe an upset or two.   Wylie East seems to be WAYYYY down from where they were just 4-5 years ago.  Picked to finish dead last in their highly competitive 5A Div I district.  I'm taking MP for the win.

They're gonna be much, much better this season IMO. We could see it already during 7v7 this summer. Honestly would be shocked to see MP win at Wylie, but hoping for them to.

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

They're gonna be much, much better this season IMO. We could see it already during 7v7 this summer. Honestly would be shocked to see MP win at Wylie, but hoping for them to.

Hmmm.....very interesting.

I didn't see Wylie East last season OR in 7v7 this year.....so I don't know how to compare last year's team to this year's team.  You have.  

I look at MP.... they have NINE returning starters on offense.  Most of their defense is returning too (7 or 8 returning I think).

This is a game MP won 49-6 last season........ hard to imagine WE improving that much....but now you got me wondering.  No doubt Wylie SHOULD have some serious numbers advantages over MP.  The Tigers consistently has had one of the smallest rosters in the district.  Very small for a 5A school.  

But a 43 point turn-around with a loaded MP offense coming back???  Seems like a tall order.

Gonna wait and hear some camp news next month.  I'll revisit my pick if needed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I didn't see Wylie East last season OR in 7v7 this year.....so I don't know how to compare last year's team to this year's team.  You have.  

I look at MP.... they have NINE returning starters on offense.  Most of their defense is returning too (7 or 8 returning I think).

This is a game MP won 49-6 last season........ hard to imagine WE improving that much....but now you got me wondering.  No doubt Wylie SHOULD have some serious numbers advantages over MP.  The Tigers consistently has had one of the smallest rosters in the district.  Very small for a 5A school.  

But a 43 point turn-around with a loaded MP offense coming back???  Seems like a tall order.

Devils advocate, Wylie East started a lot of young players last year with a Sophomore QB. That game with MP was 13-6 mid way thru the 3rd qtr last year when Wylie East had 4 straight turnovers, 3 of which were just bad young plays. Offseasons been a complete culture change(only lost 2 7v7 games). Not saying they are back, but expect a wayyyyy tougher game this season. 

1 minute ago, dagreatflyatx said:

Devils advocate, Wylie East started a lot of young players last year with a Sophomore QB. That game with MP was 13-6 mid way thru the 3rd qtr last year when Wylie East had 4 straight turnovers, 3 of which were just bad young plays. Offseasons been a complete culture change(only lost 2 7v7 games). Not saying they are back, but expect a wayyyyy tougher game this season. 

Good stuff.  Thanks.

I know when we played Wylie E in the 2016 playoffs they were BEAST.  Eno Benjamin put on a clinic that night against us...and we had a pretty good defense.  He torched us.  Sounds like he did that a lot in HS.  

Sounds like he was still doing it in the PAC-12. 

Now he's an AZ Cardinal.  Hopefully he will make a name for himself in the NFL too.

I knew he was special on that chilly playoff night in McKinney.  

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 1:29 PM, Mavchamp said:

Pre-season Scrimmages:

Aug 19- Nacogdoches Vs. Henderson (4A D1)
Aug 19- Jacksonville Vs. Bullard (4A D2)
Aug 20- Tyler Legacy (6A D2) Vs. Marshall
Aug 20- Longview (5A D1) Vs. Texas High
Aug 20- Whitehouse Vs. Melissa (4A D1)
Aug ??- Mount Pleasant Vs. Sulphur Springs 

Pine Tree ???
Hallsville ???

Pine Tree vs. Gilmer in Longview at Pirate Stadium on Friday August 20th in their lone scrimmage.

RJ

On 7/18/2021 at 11:34 PM, Mavchamp said:

According to my nephew, the Tigers have had more people come out this spring than usual. That doesnt mean they stuck around but theres hope towards their depth issues.

• Like 1

Lot's of good vibes this offseason.  

Been a busy productive summer.

Feeling pretty good about 2021.   Ready to get this show on the road!

• Like 1

Still got a lot of work to do on the Mav webpage before the season starts....but it's all underway.  I've received some outstanding input over the summer.  Very excited about some things to come.

I brought back the message board for Mav fans (and rivals).  I'd like to build it back up again. 

Always open to new ideas and suggestions.

Thanks Mav fans for all the encouragement on the page.  

Maverick Webpage:  https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Mav Message Board: http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=131517822&frmid=11468&msgid=0

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 1:20 PM, Mavchamp said:

Lot's of good vibes this offseason.  

Been a busy productive summer.

Feeling pretty good about 2021.   Ready to get this show on the road!

Just hoping the playoff translate some playoff runs. Would drastically help the perception. 

Marshall had about 130 report on the first day of practice. A few more expected in the next few days after they get medical clearance.  Will probably be 145-150 range. 

Good solid numbers. 
Lots of excitement and energy

On 8/8/2021 at 10:07 AM, OakRidgeMav said:

Hey Mav.....how about sending TexasBob a current pic of Mav Stadium.....they're using an old pic, and it ####!

I’ll see what I can do!

Will probably need another pic for next season.  

I think we see a big upgrade in seating next fall #fingerscrossed 

Reading through this thread it seems like Texas High is the consensus favorite by a wide margin? The way they rolled through the schedule last year I was surprised at how little resistance they mustered against Crosby in the 2nd round. I believe they were down by 5 tds when Crosby got off the gas. Do the TH fans just feel like they had a bad night or just that their record was the product of playing in a weaker district? 

I’m asking because I’m trying to make preseason predictions on potential playoff matchups in the region. I currently don’t have anybody from the district except TH in the 2nd round. 

1 hour ago, cougar14 said:

Reading through this thread it seems like Texas High is the consensus favorite by a wide margin? The way they rolled through the schedule last year I was surprised at how little resistance they mustered against Crosby in the 2nd round. I believe they were down by 5 tds when Crosby got off the gas. Do the TH fans just feel like they had a bad night or just that their record was the product of playing in a weaker district? 

I’m asking because I’m trying to make preseason predictions on potential playoff matchups in the region. I currently don’t have anybody from the district except TH in the 2nd round. 

I think Crosby's appearance in the state title game says a lot about their team. Texas High beat every team except one by at least 3 scores in district. I think the margin of loss signifies a bad night, but the loss itself was a really good team beating another really good team. 9-5a went 2-2 in the first round last year and 0-2 in the second round. I am not sure how much better Texas High can be vs LY but in my opinion they are the only one capable in the district of making it 3 rounds deep this year. The rest of the district is either rebuilding at QB/O-Line or breaking in new coaching staffs.

Texas High should be the best team in the district this season. 

Marshall, Nac, Pine Tree, and Wherehouse could end up in just about any order imagined 2-5.  

Like Nacwagons said….  Three of us will be breaking in new QBs and another has a new coaching staff.   Lots of unknowns and question marks. 

But I think some are going to surprise.  Someone always does. 

17 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I believe we won’t have Braxton Jones this year with the knee. That’s a big blow for the Dragons he had a good year last year.

yeah he was injured (knee) in the spring game when a DB went low for a tackle while he was playing RB with the 1st team Offense. He had surgery mid July and it was announced yesterday he is out for the year.