2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Mavs had an intr-squad scrimmage yesterday. 

Defense is going to be nasty. Definitely looks like it will be the strength of the team.  Especially early on. 

Offense is ahead of where it was this time last year.  But still has work to do. 

The rushing game has really suffered the last couple of years because of shaky OL play. Looks like we may actually have a formidable running attack. 

OL is greatly improved from last season. 

Passing game is a work in progress. It looks like the sophomore will get the start. But the senior will be utilized as well.  The sophomore  has a cannon. He can chunk it a mile. Timing with his WR is something that will hopefully improve with more reps.   The senior has great legs. Have a feeling he will be used in some wildcat and pistol formations. 

Big test coming this Thursday.  Tyler legacy will come to town for a scrimmage. Very interested in seeing how the defense does against what appears to be a loaded Raider offense.

Ready to get this started.  

• Like 1

Mavs will be hosting Tyler Legacy this Thursday.  A few things I'm  looking for:

1.  Stay healthy is the NUMBER ONE PRIORITY

2.  The offensive line needs to give the QB time to set up in the pocket.  They need to open some running lanes for the RB.

3.  Been a while since we've had a big stud RB. It's been RB by committee.  Would like to see a RB-1 step up.  

4.  More and more confidence and reps for the Soph QB.  Better timing with his WR's.

5.  Defense can slow down what appears to be a loaded Tyler offense.  

6.  Improved secondary play.  You need a strong secondary in district 9-5A with pass-happy Texas High, Whitehouse, and Pine Tree.

7.  STAY HEALTHY.

Marshall defense last year wasn’t bad. I see them making a push for a  DC. It will be tough playing in Texarkana, but if they find a way to have a little momentum going in to the game who knows. McKinney north should be improved, Longview is Longview and going on the road week 1 won’t be easy. If they find a way to win 2 out of these 3 watch out come district

29 minutes ago, missionimpossible said:

Went and saw Nac practice this week. What's up with their numbers? Do they even have enough for a J.V. and separate 9th football schedule? Won't have many on the varsity as well. Very small numbers as I can see. 

That really shocks me. I would think Nac would have some of their highest numbers in years given last year’s success. 

Not to mention Nac is the second largest school in 9-5A behind Texarkana. 

How many is everyone reporting in the district? 

Marshall is fielding 150-ish 9-12. 

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

That really shocks me. I would think Nac would have some of their highest numbers in years given last year’s success. 

Not to mention Nac is the second largest school in 9-5A behind Texarkana. 

How many is everyone reporting in the district? 

Marshall is fielding 150-ish 9-12. 

Our numbers have been down the last couple of years. We are playing iron man football again this year. 

I'll be posting updates to the Legacy-Marshall scrimmage tomorrow night.

There is rain in the forecast.  If it's raining I'm guessing the scrimmage will be moved to the pavilion.  But I'm not 100% sure.... they may play in the rain as long as it's not storming.

Ready to see where we stand.  Get some confidence headed into next week Vs. New Caney. 

That’s how it ends.  Legacy has one score in the controlled portion and one score in the live 2 quarters.

Both defenses looked pretty good.  Both offenses looked shaky. 

Pretty happy with the Mav defense.  Overall…. They were pretty stingy.  Only gave up 1 huge play.  Pretty stingy the rest of the night. 

Maverick offensive line looked much improved compared to last year. We ran the ball fairly well.  Something we never did at all last year.  Passing game needs some work. Timing just isn’t there. 

Offense needs more time/snaps.  If they get going…. Combined with the defense… this could be fun. 

Best of luck to Legacy the rest of this season!  

Mavs head to New Caney next week! 

On 8/18/2021 at 5:54 AM, missionimpossible said:

Went and saw Nac practice this week. What's up with their numbers? Do they even have enough for a J.V. and separate 9th football schedule? Won't have many on the varsity as well. Very small numbers as I can see. 

Nacs numbers are about where they have been 100-125. Freshman team is expecting another 15-20 once school starts. They typically see their numbers change with the start of school. Transportation for summer work outs is always an issue. Also, it doesn't matter what number you have if it is the right ones that are there. Nac will have a full freshman and JV squad. 

I know scrimmages are just scrimmages, but I’m seeing a recurring theme in the recaps of the 9-5A teams so far. 

Offenses are struggling. 

Marshall, Nac, Pine Tree, Jacksonville all had trouble moving the ball in their scrimmages.  

Interested to see how Hallsville, MP, WH, and Texas High do tonight. 

Texas High 250

Marshall- 150

Nac- 125 

Any others? 

That’s a crazy number for THS. Good for them.

Since school started I heard the Mavs might be 160-ish.   Pretty happy with that. 180 is the highest I’ve ever seen us have. And that was back when we were still 6A*. 

On 8/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, cougar14 said:

Reading through this thread it seems like Texas High is the consensus favorite by a wide margin? The way they rolled through the schedule last year I was surprised at how little resistance they mustered against Crosby in the 2nd round. I believe they were down by 5 tds when Crosby got off the gas. Do the TH fans just feel like they had a bad night or just that their record was the product of playing in a weaker district? 

I’m asking because I’m trying to make preseason predictions on potential playoff matchups in the region. I currently don’t have anybody from the district except TH in the 2nd round. 

My amateur couch coach thoughts on the game is Crosby used the Tiger defensive line speed against them. Crosby had two exceptional elusive backs (one of which played QB). Texas High had two exceptional defensive ends in Smith and Brown that played “meet me at the quarterback” all season. Crosby used their upfield push against them and let them run themselves out of containment. If the ends played to contain the duo at the line of scrimmage, I think it would have been a different game (and not necessarily a victory). The two were going to do damage, but hopefully not near enough. 

Now that we've had some scrimmages under our belts.  Injury updates and team strengths and weaknesses......  a chance to update picks this week since some of them were made weeeeks ago.

9-5A Div II:  Week 1 Match-ups
Marshall Vs. New Caney 
Tyler Vs. Texas High
Liberty Eylau Vs. Pine Tree
Nacogdoches Vs. Kilgore
Forney Vs. Whitehouse
Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East
Henderson Vs. Hallsville
Jacksonville Vs. Crandall

Marshall Vs. New Caney:  Mavs in a close one.  Defense shines in a close victory.

Tyler Vs. Texas High:  Texas High........comfortably.

Liberty Eylau Vs. Pine Tree.... this is a tough one.  PT finds out what life without DJ will be like.  Might not miss a beat.  Might struggle with an identity for a game or two.  LE wins a close one.

Nacogdoches Vs. Kilgore- Fantastic match-up.  Dogs win a close one at home 

Forney Vs. Whitehouse-  Wildcats BIG.  Forney was AWFUL last year at 0-9.

Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East- MP has a ton of returning players.  But depth is always an issue.  WE was pretty awful last year...but had a good summer reported by many.  Tough to call.... WE's depth will be their strong point.  Wouldn't be shocked to see either win.  Taking MP in a good one.

Henderson Vs. Hallsville- Lions.  By a lot.

Jacksonville Vs. Crandall- Jacksonville's defense is always their achilles heel.  Crandall's defense gave up 50 or more points five times last season.  45 or more six times.  Indians win a high scoring affair.

37 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall Vs. New Caney:  Mavs in a close one.  Defense shines in a close victory.

Tyler Vs. Texas High:  Texas High........comfortably.

Liberty Eylau Vs. Pine Tree.... this is a tough one.  PT finds out what life without DJ will be like.  Might not miss a beat.  Might struggle with an identity for a game or two.  LE wins a close one.

Nacogdoches Vs. Kilgore- Fantastic match-up.  Dogs win a close one at home 

Forney Vs. Whitehouse-  Wildcats BIG.  Forney was AWFUL last year at 0-9.

Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East- MP has a ton of returning players.  But depth is always an issue.  WE was pretty awful last year...but had a good summer reported by many.  Tough to call.... WE's depth will be their strong point.  Wouldn't be shocked to see either win.  Taking MP in a good one.

Henderson Vs. Hallsville- Lions.  By a lot.

Jacksonville Vs. Crandall- Jacksonville's defense is always their achilles heel.  Crandall's defense gave up 50 or more points five times last season.  45 or more six times.  Indians win a high scoring affair.

Going with...
Marshall at New Caney - I think Marshall has a really good shot at winning, just with what New Caney lost, but with the home field...going with the Eagles.

Tyler at Texas High - Close first half, Tigers get a late win.

Liberty-Eylau at Pine Tree - Similar to the previous game, Pirates escape late.

Nacogdoches at Kilgore - Bulldogs.

Forney at Whitehouse - Blow out city.

Mount Pleasant at Wylie East - Everything I've seen this off season has the Raiders being much improved. Going with WE in a good one.

Henderson at Hallsville - Blow out city.

Jacksonville at Crandall - Agreed with Mavchamp....Indians pull away in a high scoring affair.