2021 Carthage DAWGS, will they play for # 9

51 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Something else that may help Gilmer out.

2022 (SR) RB Ladaylon Jackson.

He transferred from Gilmer to Longview in 2020 and was a backup RB for the Lobos. He was Gilmer's RB of their upcoming SR class....now he's back in Gilmer. 

There you go.

And I'll say, it wasn't like Gilmer's cupboard was bare. They were going to have some really good pieces on offense, before these two moved in (or back). Having a couple more weapons sure won't hurt, though. Maybe they will push the Dawgs a bit more in 2021, or even get back on top of that rivalry. It will be fun and entertaining, and God willing it'll be in front of a packed house.

39 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

And I'll say, it wasn't like Gilmer's cupboard was bare. They were going to have some really good pieces on offense, before these two moved in (or back). Having a couple more weapons sure won't hurt, though. Maybe they will push the Dawgs a bit more in 2021, or even get back on top of that rivalry. It will be fun and entertaining, and God willing it'll be in front of a packed house.

The biggest question mark for Gilmer in 2021 will be on the defensive side of the ball.  They have always been able to score and adding two more weapons just makes them more dynamic on offense.  But can they stop an elite team like Carthage enough times to win?

34 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

The biggest question mark for Gilmer in 2021 will be on the defensive side of the ball.  They have always been able to score and adding two more weapons just makes them more dynamic on offense.  But can they stop an elite team like Carthage enough times to win?

That's certainly my question.  The Buckeyes didn't prove they could stop Carthage last season at all.  I do like our new DC.  I think he will make our team a little more defensive minded.  Whether we will have the horses to stop Carthage's complex offense is yet to be decided.  Plus, the Carthage DC is one heck of a coach, too.

Until the Buckeyes can prove that they can actually get stops regularly against elite teams like Carthage, AND be able to consistently move the ball offensively into the endzone, you still have to have Carthage as the outright favorite in this matchup.

Like all Buckeye fans..., I am ready to END the Carthage streak against us.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BuckNut said:

I don’t think Carthage will score 49 on Gilmer unless Gilmer gives them several. I think the gap between the two will not be as broad as some of y’all think.  Keep boasting pride comes before the fall.  

It's not boasting when you have handled the opposition with ease for the last several times now, including a historic (score wise) whooping in the state championship game and you also return a great deal of what facilitated said whooping.  And "pride comes before the fall"? Prideful, but incredibly silly for students to have made a very inappropriately worded sign hung up at school about the opposition especially after having already been handily beaten by them earlier in the year.  Probably felt even more ridiculous after getting beat even worse after.  

But at the end of the day I respect the Gilmer program and its good for everyone for the rivalry to become as competitive as it used to be.  I could see the score being closer.  I could also seeing it be about the same.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

It's not boasting when you have handled the opposition with ease for the last several times now, including a historic (score wise) whooping in the state championship game and you also return a great deal of what facilitated said whooping.  

I could see the score being closer.  I could also seeing it be about the same.  

The score won’t be 70-14 in the regular season, regardless of what Carthage has returning.  One because Gilmer will be better and won’t make the same type and quantity of mistakes.  Even if they aren’t better, Surratt won’t score that many points in the regular season.  The starters won’t play long enough and the 2’s and 3’s won’t get to run the full offense.

Just now, PantherNation2015 said:

The score won’t be 70-14 in the regular season, regardless of what Carthage has returning.  One because Gilmer will be better and won’t make the same type and quantity of mistakes.  Even if they aren’t better, Surratt won’t score that many points in the regular season.  The starters won’t play long enough and the 2’s and 3’s won’t get to run the full offense.

I agree.  I meant close to the regular season score of 49-21 or whatever it was.  And I could see it being close enough the starters play most if not all of the game, especially given that some newbies will still be breaking in and gaining experience.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

That's certainly my question.  The Buckeyes didn't prove they could stop Carthage last season at all.  I do like our new DC.  I think he will make our team a little more defensive minded.  Whether we will have the horses to stop Carthage's complex offense is yet to be decided.  Plus, the Carthage DC is one heck of a coach, too.

Until the Buckeyes can prove that they can actually get stops regularly against elite teams like Carthage, AND be able to consistently move the ball offensively into the endzone, you still have to have Carthage as the outright favorite in this matchup.

Like all Buckeye fans..., I am ready to END the Carthage streak against us.

How many years the C-Dawgs been underfeated??

22 hours ago, BuckNut said:

I don’t think Carthage will score 49 on Gilmer unless Gilmer gives them several. I think the gap between the two will not be as broad as some of y’all think.  Keep boasting pride comes before the fall.  

Spoken from experience?

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Grumpy 1

12 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

That’s back in the for real District of Doom days.

Those actual DoDs were highly entertaining, even for fans like me, who have no ties to those schools. I also will say that was kinda the only real DoD. That moniker gets tossed around pretty casually now, as if some district HAS to have that label. In reality, there hasn't been a real DoD since the REAL DoD.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Those actual DoDs were highly entertaining, even for fans like me, who have no ties to those schools. I also will say that was kinda the only real DoD. That moniker gets tossed around pretty casually now, as if some district HAS to have that label. In reality, there hasn't been a real DoD since the REAL DoD.

Agreed. I sure miss the original D.O.D.; Carthage Kilgore Henderson Jacksonville & Palestine. I wish the UIL would bring it back & put Carthage back into Div 1 to facilitate that.👌😋

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Agreed. I sure miss the original D.O.D.; Carthage Kilgore Henderson Jacksonville & Palestine. I wish the UIL would bring it back & put Carthage back into Div 1 to facilitate that.👌😋

I thought the original was the district that included, Carthage, Henderson, Gilmer and Chapel Hill. They were all state champs or finalist the yr before.  I could be wrong though

22 minutes ago, bossman1 said:

I thought the original was the district that included, Carthage, Henderson, Gilmer and Chapel Hill. They were all state champs or finalist the yr before.  I could be wrong though

You are correct; Palestine & J-Ville (& some years Atlanta)were there back in the mid to late 70’s as Carthage opponents; You don’t really hear of them making much noise anymore. Gilmer & CH are much more worthy adversaries... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bossman1 said:

This is the one I was referring to for sure. That district was crazy, man.

8 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

This is the one I was referring to for sure. That district was crazy, man.

Plus adding Kilgore after they dropped, made the games must see and made Smoaky.com super active and fun. I wonder how many health problems those games and this board caused back then.

10 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

🔥🔥🔥

On 4/8/2021 at 11:23 AM, MavGrad99 said:

I saw the transformation of Carthage from pre-Surratt to the current Surratt dynasty... 

Carthage was not a desirable school district.  I mean it had its perks, but EF, Marshall, Kilgore, Longview, etc etc etc were all considered more desirable schools for athletics.  People would not have left the surrounding towns to move to Carthage so their kids could go to school there...  That is a fact.

Some admin changed, Surratt is hired.  A quick but steady change in the culture of the Carthage athlete transformed that school and town into a winner.  Carthage used to be known as "crazy town" due to the extremely high number of mental health facilities needed to help the population.  Now its known (similar to Aledo) as Title Town.  People go there to succeed.  The town went from a less than desirable place to live 25 years ago, to highly sought after property for all income levels.   I, personally, love it.  I want more towns to be able to transform the way Carthage has.

Granted I did move out of Carthage the first chance I got. Carthage was once considered the best small town in Texas up until Bernie. 

• Like 1