2021 Carthage DAWGS, will they play for # 9

38 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Granted I did move out of Carthage the first chance I got. Carthage was once considered the best small town in Texas up until Bernie. 

Everyone has their own opinion of Carthage if they have lived there. 
I moved to Carthage when I was in the fourth grade and graduated there. 
Carthage was a great place to grow up with the best little league program in the state. Mr. Tiller was was of the finest men I ever knew. 
Carthage has always had great athletes. We just never had great football coaches until Sleepy showed up. I remember the 73 class was undefeated in the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade but Carthage had a terrible HF coach and half the guys did not play in high school. 

2 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Everyone has their own opinion of Carthage if they have lived there. 
I moved to Carthage when I was in the fourth grade and graduated there. 
Carthage was a great place to grow up with the best little league program in the state. Mr. Tiller was was of the finest men I ever knew. 
Carthage has always had great athletes. We just never had great football coaches until Sleepy showed up. I remember the 73 class was undefeated in the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade but Carthage had a terrible HF coach and half the guys did not play in high school. 

And yet you’ll find some Carthage old timers that says Sleepy Reynolds was a terrible Coach. I thought he was pretty good, he gave Roscoe Tatum the ball until he gets leg cramps. He used the athletes he had.

1 hour ago, randomuser said:

And yet you’ll find some Carthage old timers that says Sleepy Reynolds was a terrible Coach. I thought he was pretty good, he gave Roscoe Tatum the ball until he gets leg cramps. He used the athletes he had.

Sleepy was no Surratt but he did get the Dawgs to a state championship game when only two teams made the playoffs. He made to semi finals. 
Carthage was not an easy out when he was there. 
Nobody has a coach Surratt or Preston combo. 
We are very blessed to the coaches and athletes that we have at Carthage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, randomuser said:

You don’t walk into the Astrodome undefeated for the State Title if you are a terrible coach. Coach Reynolds was a good coach who met up with a Very Good A&M Consolidated team that did their homework on Carthage in 1991. In My honest opinion, that team showed Carthage folk that winning it all is a real possibility. That team was a Beast. Coach Reynolds was a real good coach.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

You don’t walk into the Astrodome undefeated for the State Title if you are a terrible coach. Coach Reynolds was a good coach who met up with a Very Good A&M Consolidated team that did their homework on Carthage in 1991. In My honest opinion, that team showed Carthage folk that winning it all is a real possibility. That team was a Beast. Coach Reynolds was a real good coach.

We were missing an outstanding linebacker and full back in Milam. 
He got hurt in the Henderson game. 
He was a big time player for the Dawgs. Milam and Donnie were two really good linebackers on that team. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Granted I did move out of Carthage the first chance I got. Carthage was once considered the best small town in Texas up until Bernie. 

No, It's still the best small town in Texas.  It's on the sign at the city limits. 😂

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

We were missing an outstanding linebacker and full back in Milam. 
He got hurt in the Henderson game. 
He was a big time player for the Dawgs. Milam and Donnie were two really good linebackers on that team. 

Consolidated exploited that the whole game too.

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

Anyone know the enrollment difference between the two schools at that time?  I bet it was quite the discrepancy.  Consolidated had some big ol boys from what I remember.

What impressed me the most, was their offensive line. The Dawgs just could not stop their running game.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:50 PM, cowboyandchrist said:

Sleepy was no Surratt but he did get the Dawgs to a state championship game when only two teams made the playoffs. He made to semi finals. 
Carthage was not an easy out when he was there. 
Nobody has a coach Surratt or Preston combo. 
We are very blessed to the coaches and athletes that we have at Carthage. 

If I gave my opinion on him I'd be suspended on this site. 

On 5/22/2021 at 11:55 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I appreciate the Carthage folks not putting up the championship sign on hwy 79. Henderson folks don’t need that mojo when going to the boats. Collision will be down so it is a win/win.

They probably take 43 to Marshall & the take 20 on into Bossier for that reason alone!😜👌

4 minutes ago, touchdownlsu said:

That being said, does any team around own the head to head with Carthage? They have pretty much dominated this area along with the entire state.

Don't know the entire history, but Liberty Hill has notched at least two big Ws over Carthage.

19 minutes ago, touchdownlsu said:

That being said, does any team around own the head to head with Carthage? They have pretty much dominated this area along with the entire state.

As far as historically, Kilgore and Henderson both may still own the lead on head to heads with Carthage going back to the dawn of time.  But since Surratt has been here Carthage leads both series.  And as DotCom said, I believe Liberty Hill is 2 wins, no losses against Carthage.  

2 minutes ago, LionKing12172920 said:

I thought Liberty Hill only played Carthage 1 time? And that game it was close, back to back scores, that was a great ball game.

Liberty Hill beat the Dawgs in 2007,

coach Surratt first year at Carthage. 
The game in 2018 still burns me up. 
The Dawgs dropped three TD passes with nobody within 5 yards of the receivers. 
The game was high scoring and we lost 64 to 61. 
The Dawgs could not stop the run, but they couldn’t stop the pass. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Okay thanks, I didn't know they played Carthage twice.

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Henderson technically does but it is super close like 38-35 or something like that. Good news the more avoidance they can lose.

I didn’t know the exact number but I figured Henderson and Kilgore might still own all time head to head W/L. The last 14 years have been much nicer for Carthage than anything that came before it 😂

• Sad 1

On 5/24/2021 at 12:15 PM, cowboyandchrist said:

I think it was more like 44-41 but who’s counting?

• Like 1